Rian Johnson doesn't care if TLJ gets retconned...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Galan007
So according to Rian himself, he doesn't care if Abrams retcons TLJ... "Whatever wants to do is fine":
https://twitter.com/MTVNEWS/status/1114183114270609408

...You know you made a pile of crap film when you don't give a f*ck if its plot gets erased from existence by another Director, lol.

CaveDude33211
Originally posted by Galan007
So according to Rian himself, he doesn't care if Abrams retcons TLJ... "Whatever wants to do is fine":
https://twitter.com/MTVNEWS/status/1114183114270609408

...You know you made a pile of crap film when you don't give a f*ck if its plot gets erased from existence by another Director, lol.
100% Agree. thumb up

Zenwolf
This is just gonna make everything worse. -_- The movies won't make any sense, at least have the gall to continue what was established. Just because they screwed up without a plan, doesn't make it ok to just retcon shit because they didn't like what happened, it's their fault to begin with.

ares834
Nope. Zen is completely incorrrect. Retcon that shit out of there. Story should trump countinuity.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by ares834
Nope. Zen is completely incorrrect. Retcon that shit out of there. Story should trump countinuity.

Can't really have a story if you keep retconning stuff, otherwise you're just back to square one. But if they wanna retcon what happened in TLJ, then by all means, go for it.

Darth Thor
Retcon Luke dying for like no reason. Say he just teleported... Or dont even bother explaining it.

Trocity
So they can continue to shit on his character? No thanks.

CaveDude33211
Originally posted by Zenwolf
This is just gonna make everything worse. -_- The movies won't make any sense, at least have the gall to continue what was established. Just because they screwed up without a plan, doesn't make it ok to just retcon shit because they didn't like what happened, it's their fault to begin with.

Disney is in desperation-mode.

Their investor-confidence is crumbling and they're just now trying to dig a hole, out of the hole they created. laughing

CaveDude33211
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Retcon Luke dying for like no reason. Say he just teleported... Or dont even bother explaining it.

laughing

CaveDude33211
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Can't really have a story if you keep retconning stuff, otherwise you're just back to square one. But if they wanna retcon what happened in TLJ, then by all means, go for it.

I think it's fvcking hilarious.

steverules_2

He was beamed onto the enterprise

TheNuisanceBird
Retcon the entire sequels by making it a bad dream Luke has.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Trocity
So they can continue to shit on his character? No thanks.

You think they cant do that when he comes back as a ghost?

StiltmanFTW
You think they cant do that when he comes back as a ghost?

This.

Being dead means little when you're familiar with the Force Ghost technique.

I wish they kept making "Star Wars Stories". Instead of having those insane ideas, like allowing Rian to do his own trilogy.

Rockydonovang
tfa essnetially retconned rotj than tlj cmented tfa's retcon while also retconning tfa.

How about we just retcon the new trilogy as a fan fic space opera made by writers who don't understand the concept of world building?

Say what you want about the prequels, the stories built and used what was provided to them by the originals. You could understand every major change throught the first 6 movies. That's called cohesive writing. And that is, by far the most important thing when building on an established canon.

TheIndyJedi
Originally posted by Rockydonovang
tfa essnetially retconned rotj than tlj cmented tfa's retcon while also retconning tfa.

How about we just retcon the new trilogy as a fan fic space opera made by writers who don't understand the concept of world building?

Say what you want about the prequels, the stories built and used what was provided to them by the originals. You could understand every major change throught the first 6 movies. That's called cohesive writing. And that is, by far the most important thing when building on an established canon.

I would argue that the Prequels retconned a lot of things too. Like the idea of Qui Gon training Obi Wan instead of Yoda as was established in the OT. Midichlorians.
Anakin building threepio. Chewbacca knowing Yoda. Boba Fett is a clone of his father.
But yeh this new trilogy isn't that much better.

Darth Thor
^ None of that was retconning. Just additional information. Kenobi makes it clear in his first few lines of TPM that he has been trained by Yoda as well.

The main retcon I can think of off the top of my head was Leia being very young when her Mum died, as if she knew her and remembered her. But I think that one was necessary.

StiltmanFTW
^ None of that was retconning. Just additional information. Kenobi makes it clear in his first few lines of TPM that he has been trained by Yoda as well.

He does? Refresh my memory.

Technically, Yoda trained a lot of younglings. Expanded Universe (Dave Wolverton's and Jude Watson's Jedi Apprentice book series) confirmed Obi was one of them, iirc. And seeing how he was the grandmaster of the Jedi Order, he could instruct and teach anyone... one above all and all that stuff stick out tongue

The main retcon I can think of off the top of my head was Leia being very young when her Mum died, as if she knew her and remembered her. But I think that one was necessary.

No EU stuff tried to elaborate on that part?

CaveDude33211

thumb up

Darth Thor

CaveDude33211
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW

Technically, Yoda trained a lot of younglings. Expanded Universe (Dave Wolverton's and Jude Watson's Jedi Apprentice book series) confirmed Obi was one of them, iirc. And seeing how he was the grandmaster of the Jedi Order, he could instruct and teach anyone... one above all and all that stuff stick out tongue

Yup - all Jedi younglings begin their Jedi education in groups of students called "Clans".

Obi-wan was in the Bear Clan.

From there they eventually are assigned to or picked by a Knight/Master and trained to Knighthood themselves.

Qui-Gon being Obi-wan's master was confusing, until the Jedi Apprentice books cleared it up and elaborated on how the Jedi Initiate's training works and the introduction of Clans.

That way, it wasn't a retcon when Kenobi later said Yoda had instructed him - although - he did word it in a way that sounded like Yoda had been the only one to instruct him.

"...Go to the Dagobah System, there you will meet THE Jedi Master who instructed me."

THE Jedi Master - not "one of" but THE.

Hmmm... smokin'

Total Warrior

Total Warrior
And ezra*

Darth Thor
Ahsoka being alive past through the OT is simply Filoni sucking his own dick... because he can.

Zenwolf
I still cannot get over that blatant Ex Machina that he did with her.

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by TheIndyJedi
I would argue that the Prequels retconned a lot of things too. Like the idea of Qui Gon training Obi Wan instead of Yoda as was established in the OT. Midichlorians.
Anakin building threepio. Chewbacca knowing Yoda. Boba Fett is a clone of his father.
But yeh this new trilogy isn't that much better.
Literally nothing you mentioned counts as retcon, as the ot did not tell us the specifics of anything you've mentioned. WHether you like how they elaborated on something or not, said elaboration doesn't logically contradict what happened in the ot. Medichlorians explain the machanics of the force, they don't conflict anything we'be learnt anout the force. Furthermore these are not all that significant. The new trilogy blatantly changes the universe and then doens't bother explaining how said change occured. It's not a "Literal" retcon, but it essentially serves as one as the payoffs of the ot have no sort of connection to their sequels. The prequels ended with the empire strong and the jedi weak. This matches the universe of the ot where the empire was strong and the jed were weak. Anakin started compassionate and ended up hateful. OT Anakin starts out hateful. At the end of the OT the jedi are ready to begin anew. In the nT the kedi are where they were in the ot. How?

Throwaway lines and a nonsensical flashback

The emoire were splintered and we see cities around the galaxy celebrating. Suddenly they're powerful and the galactic victors can't send a fleet to match them that's even on par with what they used to send when they were a guerrila rebellion?

How?

Not in the movie!!!!!

Disney wanted to capture the feeling of the ot without actually doing the leg work to provide a logical context for ot-reminscent moments. This is absolutely horrible writing.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.