Man of Steel vs. Shazam: Which film is better?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

quanchi112
I hear many saying Shazam is the best dceu film to date so let us see where your allegiance lies.

carthage
Shazam

Billy is a much more sympathetic character

Surtur
Originally posted by carthage
Shazam

Billy is a much more sympathetic character

I haven't seen Shazam yet, but assuming he doesn't get thousands of people killed in a super powered fight...sure feels like you're judging Superman for doing so. Not cool bro.

quanchi112
Man of Steel. Better. Everything.

playa1258
Shazam.

juggernaut74
Shazam.

quanchi112
I am enjoying the Superman traitors tbh. laughing out loud

Sheep.

jaden_2.0
I had high hopes for MoS and it didn't live up to them. I didn't have high hopes for Shazam and it was about what I expected. So about the same to me.

quanchi112
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
I had high hopes for MoS and it didn't live up to them. I didn't have high hopes for Shazam and it was about what I expected. So about the same to me. Man of steel had better action sequences and is a lot more rewatchable. That being said neither a turn sequences move my needle like the MCU but Shazam fights were terrible.

jaden_2.0
Originally posted by quanchi112
Man of steel had better action sequences and is a lot more rewatchable. That being said neither a turn sequences move my needle like the MCU but Shazam fights were terrible.

Yeah the final sequence in Shazam reminded me of the London scene in Rise of the Silver Surfer. Not great. Characterization is a problem in both but for different reasons. Everyone in Man of Steel was the same moody, serious and miserable. Where as in Shazam the difference between the humour between him and the kids was too much of a contrast with Sivana that it felt like 2 different movies when it switched between their respective scenes.

quanchi112
Yeah the final sequence in Shazam reminded me of the London scene in Rise of the Silver Surfer. Not great. Characterization is a problem in both but for different reasons. Everyone in Man of Steel was the same moody, serious and miserable. Where as in Shazam the difference between the humour between him and the kids was too much of a contrast with Sivana that it felt like 2 different movies when it switched between their respective scenes. Both had problems but the action and visuals in MOS were on another level than this piece of trash. What is surprising is Darth Thor wants more Shazam less Superman. This coming from a Superman hater says a lot.

jaden_2.0
I suppose it depends what someone wants from a comicbook movie. The current iteration of Superman is hardly the go-to character for a bit of humour. An odd choice given the originals had plenty funny moments with Clark Kent and are far more highly regarded with the obvious exception of Quest for Peace which was as bad as they come.

Eon Blue
Originally posted by quanchi112
Man of Steel. Better. Everything.

thumb up

quanchi112
I suppose it depends what someone wants from a comicbook movie. The current iteration of Superman is hardly the go-to character for a bit of humour. An odd choice given the originals had plenty funny moments with Clark Kent and are far more highly regarded with the obvious exception of Quest for Peace which was as bad as they come. I do not tend to go for any one thing it just had to work. Shazam did not work for me. It was boring and the action was sub par.

Arachnid1
I'm in the minority but I prefered Man of Steel

-Pr-
MoS aims higher and further, and it gets a lot more flak than it deserves imo, but it also suffers more as a result when it falls short. Shazam is better in most regards, bar the fight scenes.

Shazam is the superior movie imo.

ares834
Where as in Shazam the difference between the humour between him and the kids was too much of a contrast with Sivana that it felt like 2 different movies when it switched between their respective scenes.

I didn't get that impression at all. Just because a movie is mostly light-hearted doesn't mean it can't have darkness as well. In fact, it's one of the films best strengths. The kids felt and acted like kids yet the villain was still intimidating and dangerous rather then be merely a joke.

Bentley
I think we can all agree MoS has better fight scenes and polish that comes from a superior budget.

Darth Thor
^ Spoilers dude.

Anyway thread should be Wonder Woman vs Shazam, as they are the 2 best received films in the DCEU.

Bentley
Reported for spoiling. Enjoy your ban

roughrider
Shazam. Second only to Wonder Woman as a film in the DCEU, in my opinion.

TheIndyJedi
Man of Steel was a great film

Darth Thor
Originally posted by roughrider
Shazam. Second only to Wonder Woman as a film in the DCEU, in my opinion.

Yeah those are definitely the top 2 DCEU films thumb up

John Murdoch
Originally posted by Arachnid1
I'm in the minority but I prefered Man of Steel

Originally posted by TheIndyJedi
Man of Steel was a great film

I haven't seen Shazam yet, but I really want to and will either on the big screen or at home. So, while I can't comment on the thread at hand directly, I will say that Man of Steel is still my #1 DCEU movie (with Aquaman close behind), as it is a visual marvel to behold, the score was excellent, and it had the best comic book action sequences put to film until Infinity War dropped. Supes was due for a different take for the general audience after Superman Returns, and ya Snyder and co. went a bit too far with the brooding Superman, but I really enjoyed it. Should've had a Superman II sequel before BvS and WB should've done a thousand other things differently before expanding their cinematic universe, but we've all gone down that rabbit hole a quintillion times over on this site, so I'll refrain from doing so yet again.

I obviously know the tone for Shazam is drastically different from Man of Steel if the trailers are anything to go by, but if it's anywhere near the movie MoS was, it'll slide right into those top tier DCEU movies.

Darth Thor
^ If its Visual spectacles and action packed films like MOS and Aquaman that you like, then just try to keep in mind Shazams low budget.

Still they do make the most out of that budget.

tkitna
Havent seen Shazam nor do I have any desire or plans to, but its better than MoS. MoS was awful.

Senor Cage
Finally saw it. As for the movie:

SHAZAM is easily one of the better origin stories I have seen thus far. The flow between horror and comedy elements flowed perfectly. Only gripe I had was the cheap CGI, but it's forgiven, since it had a low budget. SHAZAM wins this rather easily, IMO.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Darth Thor
^ Spoilers dude.

Anyway thread should be Wonder Woman vs Shazam, as they are the 2 best received films in the DCEU.

We should stop coming here.

Imp is doing nothing and Squalls and Carthages of the forum keep posting spoilers.

Well, to be fair now, Carth finally started using spoiler tags.

-Pr-
I couldn't edit the post, so I just flat-out deleted it, and Quan's reply to it because he quoted him in it and I couldn't just edit that either. SquallX's ban will be left up to Impediment as the MDF isn't my yard, but I'll make a note in the mod forum to explain what I did.

==

As far as the thread goes, Shazam isn't just one of the best DC films, it's one of the best superhero films of the past few years. Period. It's incredibly well put-together, and I think it'll end up aging a lot better than a lot of the other movies we've had this last while.

Senor Cage
Originally posted by -Pr-
I couldn't edit the post, so I just flat-out deleted it, and Quan's reply to it because he quoted him in it and I couldn't just edit that either. SquallX's ban will be left up to Impediment as the MDF isn't my yard, but I'll make a note in the mod forum to explain what I did.

==

As far as the thread goes, Shazam isn't just one of the best DC films, it's one of the best superhero films of the past few years. Period. It's incredibly well put-together, and I think it'll end up aging a lot better than a lot of the other movies we've had this last while.

Same. SHAZAM is in my top 10 all time comic book films. I'm wondering how theyll deal with Black Adam. Will they put him in the third one, while Mr. Mind is in the sequel? So, the order looks like

SHAZAM
Black Adam
SHAZAM 2
SHAZAM 3

Darth Thor
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW

Imp is doing nothing and Squalls and Carthages of the forum keep posting spoilers.

Well, to be fair now, Carth finally started using spoiler tags.

Fortunately I had already seen it, or I would have gone crazy over that.

But cant forgive Carthage for spoiling the best part of the final act prior to the film even being out.

Originally posted by Senor Cage
Same. SHAZAM is in my top 10 all time comic book films. I'm wondering how theyll deal with Black Adam. Will they put him in the third one, while Mr. Mind is in the sequel? So, the order looks like

SHAZAM
Black Adam
SHAZAM 2
SHAZAM 3

Hopefully BA performs better at the box office, which would justify larger budgets for the whole series.

Surtur
^ Spoilers dude.

Pssh soon The Joker film will surpass all DC films away...he's dancing with his mom!

DeadpoolXXX
just saw shazam. really enjoyed it

quanchi112
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW

Well, to be fair now, Carth finally started using spoiler tags. I agree posting spoilers should be bannable on sight. Hence I will not even enter certain threads. I despise guys like Carthage. Trying to ruin it for everyone around.

Senor Cage
Yeah those are definitely the top 2 DCEU films thumb up

Mine are MOS and SHAZAM

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.