New Avatar and Star Wars films on the horizon...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Galan007
Per this recent Disney press release, we're getting 4 new Avatar films, along with the next Star Wars trilogy, beginning in December 2021, and concluding in December 2027...

*The full press release(which includes even more projects on the way) can be read HERE.

steverules_2
Avatar 3 is coming out in 2012 I see...

Galan007
Yeah, it's a retroactive movie. Disney's really going bananas with the time travel thing. thumb up

2022, obv.

Patient_Leech
Pardon my dickery, but why did this require yet another thread? There's a gazillion Star Wars threads for sure, and an Avatar sequel thread HERE.

That being said, yeah, I'll admit I'm morbidly curious for the Avatar sequels just for visual glory that they will probably have. But the way Cameron is doing the stories sounds odd to me. It sounds like they're going to be separate, unrelated stories and not a continued narrative.

Galan007
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Pardon my dickery, but why did this require yet another thread? There's a gazillion Star Wars threads for sure, and an Avatar sequel thread HERE. Imp can close this if it's that big of a deal. Couldn't care less.

This is the first legit info we've gotten about Avatar in a while(namely that it will indeed be FOUR new films), along with tangible release dates for the next SW trilogy. It's worth mentioning in a proper thread, regardless.

That being said, yeah, I'll admit I'm morbidly curious for the Avatar sequels just for visual glory that they will probably have. But the way Cameron is doing the stories sounds odd to me. It sounds like they're going to be separate, unrelated stories and not a continued narrative. Yeah, if true it's an interesting take on 'world building'...

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Galan007
Imp can close this if it's that big of a deal. Couldn't care less.

This is the first legit info we've gotten about Avatar in a while(namely that it will indeed be FOUR new films),...

No, that's been known a while. Like 2 years ago.

Yeah, if true it's an interesting take on 'world building'...

I remember hearing, for example, that Stephen Lang's character will be alive in the next film, even though he was killed in the first film.

Galan007
No, that's been known a while. Like 2 years ago. Right, but there was recent speculation that Disney might opt to condense the Avatar films into a trilogy in order to 'match' the new Star Wars trilogy. So it was nice to see for sure that Avatar is proceeding as a quadrilogy, as originally intended. thumb up

I remember hearing, for example, that Stephen Lang's character will be alive in the next film, even though he was killed in the first film. Interesting. So he's going retroactive with it? Hmm... Dunno how I feel about that.

Tzeentch
Disney is going to have really show me something with The Mandalorian and Rise of Skywalker if I'm to take the next few movies seriously. I'm getting queezy just looking at that release schedule.

Galan007
I think The Mandalorian will actually be good, given what I've seen of it so far. I'm going into RoS fully expecting to be let down, though.

Darth Thor
Will see. They have been giving the next Avatar dates for years, but it keeps getting postponed. Maybe Disney are pushing Cameron now?

As for Star Wars, depends what it is. Not interested in an Episode 10 at this point. But looking forward to seeing what Benioff and Weiss will give us. Presumably something KOTOR era related.

victreebelvictr
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Will see. They have been giving the next Avatar dates for years, but it keeps getting postponed. Maybe Disney are pushing Cameron now?

As for Star Wars, depends what it is. Not interested in an Episode 10 at this point. But looking forward to seeing what Benioff and Weiss will give us. Presumably something KOTOR era related. Tulak better show up. -_-

If Last Jedi fails, bring back Sidious, just according to the plan. :3

BruceSkywalker
the star wars films are prolly beniof/weiss then johnson then benioff/weiss etc..

really no interest in avatar unless the trailers wow me

Kazenji
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker

really no interest in avatar unless the trailers wow me

Hope they are good with Cameron's track record for sequels.

John Murdoch
I'm guessing the next SW trilogy here will be a continuation of the Rey/Kylo trilogy closing out with Rise of Skywalker? Hopefully the plot will be different than the "Rebels are underdogs. Empire = big bad guys. Main character is Jedi, main villain is conflicted Sith" plot that the sequel trilogy ripped straight from the OT.

Say what you will about the prequels, but the plot was original even if it was executed sloppily at (quite a few) times.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by John Murdoch
Say what you will about the prequels, but the plot was original even if it was executed sloppily at (quite a few) times.

That's kind of how I feel. I know the prequels get a lot of grief, but I at least enjoy them for being a little different. The new reboot-rehash stories are bad. I honestly can't stomach Force Awakens. It's trash. To me it was them saying, "Yeah, we don't give a f#ck about doing anything even remotely original or interesting. We just want to make money on a new generation."

StiltmanFTW
Sequels, sequels and more sequels.

And we'll all still watch it. Smart move, Disney.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
...And we'll all still watch it...

Sure, but not for $15 a pop. Fool me once...

I tend to avoid giving Disney money as much as possible these days.

StiltmanFTW
They charge you so much for f*cking cinema tickets in US?

lmao

Galan007
$12-15 is pretty standard for an adult ticket, yeah. Then they charge you another $8 for a bucket of popcorn, $6 for a small soda, $5 for a bag of m&m's, etc. etc. Sure, you can smuggle some of the junk food in, but still...

It's stupidly expensive to take my family to see a movie these days. Hence why I pirate whenever possible. thumb up

StiltmanFTW
facepalm

Guess that's Uncle Sam's... pretty unique... method of fighting piracy.

"Make it all as expensive as possible. That will attract the crowds!!!"

Patient_Leech
Oh, yeah. I smuggle in candy, beer, drinks, etc. I've got no shame. Theater workers don't give a shit. They really don't.

jaden_2.0
Remember back in the day, like 5 minutes ago when they said Starwars was taking a break after ep 9?

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Kazenji
Hope they are good with Cameron's track record for sequels.

yea they could be...

They charge you so much for f*cking cinema tickets in US?

lmao

i don't mind paying $15 bucks.. i paid it for endgame 3 times big grin

$12-15 is pretty standard for an adult ticket, yeah. Then they charge you another $8 for a bucket of popcorn, $6 for a small soda, $5 for a bag of m&m's, etc. etc. Sure, you can smuggle some of the junk food in, but still...

It's stupidly expensive to take my family to see a movie these days. Hence why I pirate whenever possible. thumb up

i'll pay your way lol

Originally posted by John Murdoch
I'm guessing the next SW trilogy here will be a continuation of the Rey/Kylo trilogy closing out with Rise of Skywalker? Hopefully the plot will be different than the "Rebels are underdogs. Empire = big bad guys. Main character is Jedi, main villain is conflicted Sith" plot that the sequel trilogy ripped straight from the OT.

there'll be an episode 10 and up but i thik the one coming out first will be beniof/weiss

Kazenji
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
Remember back in the day, like 5 minutes ago when they said Starwars was taking a break after ep 9?

Pretty sure that they meant for the Skywalker Saga movies.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by jaden_2.0

Well its a 3year break, so quite long for Disney tbh.

Originally posted by Kazenji
Pretty sure that they meant for the Skywalker Saga movies.

Episode 9 is supposed to be the last in the Skywalker series.

But they could still do an Episode 10 based on Non-Skywalkers I guess. But would prefer they just be spin offs personally.

facepalm

Guess that's Uncle Sam's... pretty unique... method of fighting piracy.

"Make it all as expensive as possible. That will attract the crowds!!!"

Theatres get less from the ticket sales domestically, so they have to charge more.

Its really Hollywoods fault though. Their budgets and marketing costs are insane. Endgame probably broke even close to the Billion mark.

Kazenji
Surprised Hollywood hasn't gone Bankrupt with some of the budget's for the movie that they do.

Darth Thor
^ They simply charge the Americans more laughing out loud

Khazra Reborn
Avatar sucked, and is pretty much completely irrelevant at this point. I might give Dtar Wars another shot if they drop the shit characters from the current trilogy.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Khazra Reborn
Avatar sucked, and is pretty much completely irrelevant at this point...

Yeah, I used to snob it up and say that, too, but after rewatching it a couple times since it came out you have to sit back and admire the visuals. The story is mediocre at best, sure, but I have to give James Cameron some credit with the sheer visual spectacle and direction of the action. It has some impressive sequences and it still holds up pretty well. That being said, I am a little surprised they're so gung-ho about green-lighting so many sequels because there's no guarantee that people are going to care that much so many years after. One or two sequels would test the waters, but Jesus, 4 sequels is pretty nuts.

Khazra Reborn
Yeah, I used to snob it up and say that, too, but after rewatching it a couple times since it came out you have to sit back and admire the visuals. The story is mediocre at best, sure, but I have to give James Cameron some credit with the sheer visual spectacle and direction of the action. It has some impressive sequences and it still holds up pretty well. That being said, I am a little surprised they're so gung-ho about green-lighting so many sequels because there's no guarantee that people are going to care that much so many years after. One or two sequels would test the waters, but Jesus, 4 sequels is pretty nuts.

It was innovative, but I prefer practical effects, to pure cgi any day of the week. IMO, Fury Road's visual esthetic was way better than Avatar's.

Galan007
Episode 9 is supposed to be the last in the Skywalker series.

But they could still do an Episode 10 based on Non-Skywalkers I guess. But would prefer they just be spin offs personally. Yeah, Ep.IX is supposed to definitively wrap-up the Skywalker saga. Whatever trilogy is next should be a completely new story.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Khazra Reborn
It was innovative, but I prefer practical effects, to pure cgi any day of the week. IMO, Fury Road's visual esthetic was way better than Avatar's.

Oh yeah, they're different visually, so in a way it's like comparing apples to oranges, but yeah, you're not gonna hear me put down Fury Road. I f#cking love that movie. It's a masterpiece. Yeah, I love practical effects, too. But to be fair Avatar wasn't possible with mostly practical effects like Fury Road. The fact that they can put the camera wherever they want (basically) makes for some beautifully done action sequences.

Darth Thor
John Campea reporting the new Star Wars films will be the Benioff and Weiss trilogy.

Thats bound to be Old Republic stuff. So yeah, definitely looking forward to that if true. About time Disney gave us something new and some proper Jedi vs Sith action.

Patient_Leech
John Campea reporting the new Star Wars films will be the Benioff and Weiss trilogy.

Thats bound to be Old Republic stuff. So yeah, definitely looking forward to that if true. About time Disney gave us something new and some proper Jedi vs Sith action.

So the Game of Thrones producers are taking over Star Wars to try to save it?

That's great news. Should beat the hell out of JJ. Lamebrams. Yeah, hopefully they wipe the slate clean and start fresh.

Kazenji

Wonder if they'll make Revan canon in some way, I don't mean do a direct adaption of the Kotor game. Just a story with him in the background somewhere.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.