rate what you're reading

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

leonidas
i'd ask for a little indulgence from the mods if they wouldn't mind. this should be in the comics forum, i know, but traffic....

anyway, i got to thinking--we have a lot of people (well, a few people....) on here who actually read comics with some frequency. i thought it might be cool to have people give a rating to the current books they follow. give a bit more info if you choose, but hopefully the system might lead to some actual discussion about comics.... i'll start with a couple i'm mostly up-to-date on (ratings out of 10):

teen titans: 7
titans (series had ended i believe): 6
red hood: 7.5
fantastic four: 5.5
justice league: 6.5 (had higher hopes for snyder but not loving what's happening at dc in a lot of ways)

there are a few others i'm reading but i just wanted to get the ball rolling and see what people are thinking is good and bad out there right now.

duplicating books is clearly encouraged as more opinions makes for a better sense of what's good and not so good.

CosmicComet
Haven't read comics in a while.

Reading the Berserk manga. 10/10 all around and the art is to die for.

Flyattractor
Slash Maraud Mini series.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-BbwbATwHCLo/UZ6wTy6wuAI/AAAAAAAAIw0/KNxHAN_xzMY/s1600/Slash+cover+gallery.jpg

Fun 80's Post Apocalypse Wackadooness ala Roger Corman. 6.5 outta 10.

-Pr-
I don't plan to close it, so unless the other mods have a problem with it, feel free to go ahead.

One Big Mob
Everything sucks. I might crack open my Sandman collection and read that. Though the show made me want to re-read Lucifer... I remember it being absolutely nothing like it, but, whatever.

deathslash
Originally posted by CosmicComet
Haven't read comics in a while.

Reading the Berserk manga. 10/10 all around and the art is to die for. thumb up The art, story, and action are all amazing. The wait for the next chapter absolutely sucks.

Oh yeah, I'm currently reading through the Agent Venom (Venom 2011) series. The switching artists every ten or so issues can be kind of jarring but the action, plot, and character development are all pretty solid. 7-8/10.

Quick Freeze

Flyattractor
It is for reasons like that I go back and buy all the old stuff I missed out back in the day...that stuff is just better anyway.

xJLxKing

Stoic
Spawn 9.5
Doomsday Clock 8
Hulk 8
War of the Realms 7.5
Superman 8
Conan 7.5
Guardians of the Galaxy 7

NemeBro
Snyder Justice League run - 7/10 it's okay.

Immortal Hulk - 8/10 it's good.

Justice League Dark (current run) - 7.5/10 pretty good, if not as good as the first.

The Green Lantern - 9/10, very good, wish Hal really did go full-on dirty cop on the slaver.

Naomi - 8/10, liking it so far, wish Bendis went all the way with the tongue-in-cheek subversion of superhero origin stories and Naomi herself wasn't intrinsically special like her dad or the mechanic were.

Think that's all I'm following at the moment.

Galan007
This is all I follow in DC with any sort of regularity, atm:

Adventures of the Super Sons- 8/10. Campy as it can be at times, this is just a really fun read.
Green Lantern- 9/10. It is everything I hoped Morrison would give us in a GL series... And it looks like it will just keep getting better, based on the solicits.
Justice League- 6/10. It's whatever. Snyder is trying to introduce some innovative concepts, but he's not Morrison, so I feel like his 'meta' stories often leave much to be desired.
JLD- 7/10. Not as good as the first JLD series in the DCnU, but it has been decent so far. Solid story, and I've enjoyed the looming threat of the Otherkind.

There are other books I try to keep up with(like Batman, Superman, Wonder Twins, etc.) but they're not a priority. I'll probably follow DCeased as well, just to see how zany it gets.

Where current Marvel is concerned, I don't follow a whole lot.

I definitely keep track of the Star Wars comics regularly(right now it's the main Star Wars series, Doctor Aphra, TIE Fighter, and the 'Ages' series.) The SW issues used to all be really good, but they've decreased in quality quite a bit. Surprisingly, I think Pak's work on the 'Ages' series is the best they've got in the SW line right now, lol.

I also follow F4, but I'd give it like a 6/10. My problem with F4 is that I now compare it to Hickman's previous run, which was absolutely fantastic(no pun intended), and probably some of the best stories I've ever read in any company. He left some big shoes to fill, and the current run just isn't doing it for me.

leonidas
Originally posted by Stoic
Spawn 9.5
Doomsday Clock 8
Hulk 8
War of the Realms 7.5
Superman 8
Conan 7.5
Guardians of the Galaxy 7

conan, eh? tried the new series but couldn't get into the first issue. it gets good? and you're one of the first i hear tell that likes war of the realms...

finished infinity wars a little bit ago--terrible. 3 at best. it was the arc where gamora got all the gems and mushed everyone into the soul gem. soooo terrible....

someone mentioned original sin--not great imo, but had moments. 6.5 maybe though like i said i found myself really liking a couple ideas that came out of it.

anyone reading current amazing? just getting into it. really feels like it's taking you back to the old days of spidey. not sure how i feel about it yet, but again, not loving it, at least so far.

leonidas
Originally posted by Galan007
This is all I follow in DC with any sort of regularity, atm:

Adventures of the Super Sons- 8/10. Campy as it can be at times, this is just a really fun read.
Green Lantern- 9/10. It is everything I hoped Morrison would give us in a GL series... And it looks like it will just keep getting better, based on the solicits.
Justice League- 6/10. It's whatever. Snyder is trying to introduce some innovative concepts, but he's not Morrison, so I feel like his 'meta' stories often leave much to be desired.
JLD- 7/10. Not as good as the first JLD series in the DCnU, but it has been decent so far. Solid story, and I've enjoyed the looming threat of the Otherkind.

There are other books I try to keep up with(like Batman, Superman, Wonder Twins, etc.) but they're not a priority. I'll probably follow DCeased as well, just to see how zany it gets.

Where current Marvel is concerned, I don't follow a whole lot.

I definitely keep track of the Star Wars comics regularly(right now it's the main Star Wars series, Doctor Aphra, TIE Fighter, and the 'Ages' series.) The SW issues used to all be fantastic, but they've decreased in quality quite a bit. Surprisingly, I think Pak's work on the 'Ages' series is the best they've got in the SW line right now, lol.

i've fallen out of star wars in the last year, but loved a lot of what was happening there. the vader series was top notch, as was aphra. thumb up

supersons is great! laughing out loud 8 for sure. looks like i'll need to get up to date on lantern....

you read a lot of indie stuff, too, no? what's good out there?

currently lazarus is my fave read, though it's gone to a weird hard to follow schedule. i think it comes out quarterly or something. hard 9 though.

Galan007
Originally posted by leonidas
i've fallen out of star wars in the last year, but loved a lot of what was happening there. the vader series was top notch, as was aphra. thumb up

supersons is great! laughing out loud 8 for sure. looks like i'll need to get up to date on lantern....

you read a lot of indie stuff, too, no? what's good out there?

currently lazarus is my fave read, though it's gone to a weird hard to follow schedule. i think it comes out quarterly or something. hard 9 though. Yeah, I follow quite a bit of Indie stuff. On average it's just far superior to most of what DC/Marvel has to offer, imo.

Anything from Valiant, for example, is superb. Ninjak, X-O Manowar, Bloodshot, etc. It's all great.

Spawn- Seems like very few people still follow this, but it's still good.

TWD- The show has gotten shitty, but the comics still keep cranking out a great story.

Lazarus- Like you said, the main series is awesome, as are the side-stories.

Joe Golem- Has an awesome occult/pulpy feel to it. One of my favorite Indie reads for sure.

2000AD/Judge Dredd Megazine (obviously).

Curse Words, The Magic Order, TMNT, etc. etc. etc. SO many great ongoing Indie titles out there.

Philosophía
Originally posted by One Big Mob
Everything sucks. I might crack open my Sandman collection and read that. Though the show made me want to re-read Lucifer... I remember it being absolutely nothing like it, but, whatever. I'm sure this has nothing to do with me changing the sig/avatar and you incessantly stalking every one of my posts. inlove

StiltmanFTW
I've been reading leo's posting history.

3.5/10

biscuits

leonidas
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
I've been reading leo's posting history.

3.5/3

biscuits

fixed for you. thumb up

Damborgson
War of the realms: 5.5/10 so far. Hoping it gets better.

Since mainstream has been so garbage it gave me time to look at some older comics though, that's been fun.

I also really enjoyed Justice League pre reboot since I was looking for Green Lantern feats and just ended up reading the whole thing basically.

leonidas
preboot jl was really good. thumb up

cdtm
Star Reach - 10/10 for Jim Starlin drawing himself taking acid alone.

Stoic
Originally posted by leonidas
conan, eh? tried the new series but couldn't get into the first issue. it gets good? and you're one of the first i hear tell that likes war of the realms...

finished infinity wars a little bit ago--terrible. 3 at best. it was the arc where gamora got all the gems and mushed everyone into the soul gem. soooo terrible....

someone mentioned original sin--not great imo, but had moments. 6.5 maybe though like i said i found myself really liking a couple ideas that came out of it.

anyone reading current amazing? just getting into it. really feels like it's taking you back to the old days of spidey. not sure how i feel about it yet, but again, not loving it, at least so far.

Conan has 2 ongoing titles. I'm liking the story, but the art is lacking. You should check out Spawn, the last 12 issues sold out if that tells you anything about the quality of storytelling involved. If you get onboard with it, I'd suggest going 20 issues back. The latest Infinity arc was trash imo as well. Spiderman is falling on it's ass. He needs better villains. I admit to be looking forward to seeing if She Hulk will be able to stand up to this new Kurse, and what the general plot direction will lead to in War of the Realms. Doomsday Clock has me by the throat. I'm really hoping that Doctor Manhattan becomes a mainstay at DC. Hulk is great. What can I say? Banner as a character is as deep as an ocean with his multiple personality disorder. Oh, and Superman... Rogol Zarr is the best Superman villain in an age. Can't wait for the next issue.

leonidas
tony stark ironman 6.5 the controller is a lame villain and not loving the escape arc.

ironheart i'm actually enjoying quite a bit. better than the first go around, which i also liked. 7.5
young justice has been meh so far. 6.5

staxamillion
venomverse not good

xJLxKing
Surprised so few like justice League

leonidas
i gotta say, captain america could be my fave current marvel book. coates is turning into one of my fave writers. i really liked what he did with panther as well. anyway, solid 8.5 for cap. i like that the book really focuses on the fall-out from secret empire. it makes the event feel bigger, knowing it just didn't blow away like many 'major' arcs do. i also loved secret empire. one of the best things marvel has done in the last few years imo.

One Big Mob
Originally posted by xJLxKing
Surprised so few like justice League I'm surprised so many people pretend like they're astounded at how crazy it gets every issue. The writing is garbage, and all it is is "the steaks have never bean hire" every 2 weeks. Snyder writes like Morrison like Carver comprehends comics. You know he tries to understand it, but he just can't... so he masks it by trying to outdo himself every other week but, somehow lessens the impact every time; trampling on his inspiration in the meantime. Steve Orlando getting his faggy mitts on every interesting concept, or every potentially interesting thing in the meantime doesn't help either.

Mimicsons shouldn't be attempted by utter idiots (Orlando), or people who just don't get why things work. Snyder must have been created when Morrison purged his impatience and had to make everything fit into a deadline.

"Should we do another draft here Snyder? "
"Nah, we'll make the first draft work. Call that DC pressboy... what was his name? Ah, Zack M, that's it! Call Zacky boy up and tell him to start hyping our next event out next month!"

Until Snyder sits down and works out all the kinks long before he starts, he will never have those classic huge stories like his inspirations. Average tier stories with the odd one being slightly better.

qwertyuiop1998
Originally posted by One Big Mob
I'm surprised so many people pretend like they're astounded at how crazy it gets every issue. The writing is garbage, and all it is is "the steaks have never bean hire" every 2 weeks. Snyder writes like Morrison like Carver comprehends comics. You know he tries to understand it, but he just can't... so he masks it by trying to outdo himself every other week but, somehow lessens the impact every time; trampling on his inspiration in the meantime. Steve Orlando getting his faggy mitts on every interesting concept, or every potentially interesting thing in the meantime doesn't help either.

Mimicsons shouldn't be attempted by utter idiots (Orlando), or people who just don't get why things work. Snyder must have been created when Morrison purged his impatience and had to make everything fit into a deadline.

"Should we do another draft here Snyder? "
"Nah, we'll make the first draft work. Call that DC pressboy... what was his name? Ah, Zack M, that's it! Call Zacky boy up and tell him to start hyping our next event out next month!"

Until Snyder sits down and works out all the kinks long before he starts, he will never have those classic huge stories like his inspirations. Average tier stories with the odd one being slightly better.
Idem, Snyder really just using Morrison nouns to pretending be Morrison but he just not that good

Quick Freeze
So what you're saying is, you don't like the Sixth Dimension.

tkitna
I really liked the first issue of Savage Avengers. I'll stick with it to see where it goes.

staxamillion
today it is despicable deadpool - entertaining

staxamillion
thanos 2016 - 2017 run - excellent

is US Avengers any good?

MrMind
Heavy Metal megazines, I'm going to the deepest nerd culture right now

GRPerry
Took advantage of Free Comic Book Day sales to bulk up my collection of graphic novels, in particular the complete set of East of West. Love it. 9.5/10. Also picked up some Injustice stuff, absolutely love that entire series (although the Master of the Universe stuff wasn't for me. Terrible art).

Most of my comic reading these days comes via the library. Picked up Dark Nights: Metal Deluxe Edition expecting it to be good and have been sorely disappointed. 4/10? Complete confusion, don't love the art. Meh.

Started Saga recently. 7/10 at this point, just one graphic novel in.

Loved what Jason Aaron did with Dr. Strange. Mark Waid is good, just not quite as good.

leonidas

cdtm
The Infinity Gauntlet.

Wow. What a hack writer, Jim Starlin is.

He should do less of this stuff:

https://66.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma6wydkEaj1qzoglfo1_1280.jpg

Stoic
The Last God 8.5
The Last God has great potential.

Monster Planet by Zenescope 9.5-10
Haven't been this anxious to read the next issue in years.

Marvel Zombies 5
Zombies are played out.

Stoic
DCeased 8
Zomies got played out, but DC did a great job here.

xJLxKing
Originally posted by Stoic
The Last God 8.5
The Last God has great potential.

Monster Planet by Zenescope 9.5-10
Haven't been this anxious to read the next issue in years.

Marvel Zombies 5
Zombies are played out. glad someone else read Last God

NemeBro
I'm also gonna give a shout out to Last God, the art is gorgeous and the premise is intriguing.

MrMind
currently reading carver's diary

10/10 masterpiece

Stoic
Originally posted by NemeBro
I'm also gonna give a shout out to Last God, the art is gorgeous and the premise is intriguing.

It's a pretty good read. It came off with a Spartacus meets Game of Thrones feel.

You should also give Monster Planet a go. It surprised me to find that Zenescope is putting out some quality work.

-Pr-
Hickman's X-Men. Started off as like a 6 for me, quickly jumped to a 9 or 10, but now it's at a tentative 7. There are some characterisation issues that really bother me, but I'm hoping it leads to a "something shady was happening the whole time" resolution.

NemeBro
What characterization issues get your foreskin in a twist?

Juntai
Originally posted by -Pr-
Hickman's X-Men. Started off as like a 6 for me, quickly jumped to a 9 or 10, but now it's at a tentative 7. There are some characterisation issues that really bother me, but I'm hoping it leads to a "something shady was happening the whole time" resolution. Theres a bit of imposing his will on the story/characters, but in all honesty, the X Men need it. The books have been barely passable since Grant left when compared to former glories. If this is what it takes to get to good stories, it must be done.

carver9
Wonder what made Leo stop posting? Hhhhmmmm

-Pr-
Originally posted by NemeBro
What characterization issues get your foreskin in a twist?

Xavier and most of the "main" X-Men. Magneto is decent. Sinister was ****ing weird, though.

Originally posted by Juntai
Theres a bit of imposing his will on the story/characters, but in all honesty, the X Men need it. The books have been barely passable since Grant left when compared to former glories. If this is what it takes to get to good stories, it must be done.

As much as I might agree that X-Men as a franchise desperately needed a shake-up, I don't like it if it's at the expense of what are already heavily developed characters.

Plus, this is Marvel's fault in the first place for trying to bury them to spite Fox.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by carver9
Wonder what made Leo stop posting? Hhhhmmmm Me too

Sin I AM
DCeased was a fun romp. I laughed the whole way thru
Punisher Kill Crew is also awesome.
Nightwing is terrible. The power ranger Nightwings and the fact that Batman and co are letting him just be amnesiac is awful writing
Caps ongoing is also terrible and they are dragging him thru the mud. Avengers ongoing is terrible, they need to stop putting GR in books.
Valkyrie started off ok but jobbing out Bullseye and Strange was unnecessary.
Savage Avengers is awesome.
Invisible Woman's ongoing is Marvel's best kept secret and a great depiction of Sue.
Contagion was terrible.
Year One Villians was lame
Strange had a universal feat and it was super meh, he also had a OMD type demon deal that irked me. His last issue was good and more down to Earth.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.