The Sandman (Netflix)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Impediment

Darth Thor
Well going to Netflix is a good sign - Think Daredevil and Punisher.

If it was on the DC Streaming service it would be cancelled before pilot is out.

Surtur
Originally posted by Darth Thor

If it was on the DC Streaming service it would be cancelled before pilot is out.

The streaming service has put out some quality shows. The 3rd season of Young Justice and of course Doom Patrol, which is better in quality than any tv show Marvel has produced.

At this stage I'm not sure the streaming service has much original content on it besides the shows I mentioned plus Titans.

Galan007
This could be really good if done right.

....But it could also be painfully bad if they don't do it justice.

Putinbot1
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/dc/netflix-to-adapt-neil-gaimans-sandman-will-be-dc-entertainments-most-expensive-tv-show-yet-a169217

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Surtur
The streaming service has put out some quality shows. The 3rd season of Young Justice and of course Doom Patrol, which is better in quality than any tv show Marvel has produced.

At this stage I'm not sure the streaming service has much original content on it besides the shows I mentioned plus Titans.

Was a joke (sort of) after what happened to Swamp Thing. Point is its not a secure platform.

Also I couldnt get through Young Justice S3. Was way too slow Imo.

And I really enjoyed the first 2 seasons.

Arachnid1
Holy shit, that's fantastic news! Hopefully they don't mess it up

Galan007
In a recent interview with Gaiman, he assured fans that this adaptation would remain faithful in spirit to the source material, and that it would also follow the comics' story properly.

...So that's good.

Putinbot1
Yeah but American Gods became horribly bad.

Galan007
Never watched that one.

Impediment
aIsW8Px5DFs

We need more of this.

Impediment
https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/the-sandman-season-1-cast-revealed/?fbclid=IwAR1_dW5asI2OKSWxsLvZR3L6vk-U96F0fICoxLrJJevB6m6EQgVxCARUfvw

Impediment

Robtard
I tried Lucifier, but it became stale to me after 7-8 eps.

I can see Gwendoline Christie as an androgynous Satan, if they go that path.

BruceSkywalker
might watch just will wait and see

beatboks
Originally posted by Darth Thor

Only if it cost them 90 mil to make a season (ah la swamp thing)

Impediment

Arachnid1
We're closing in on two years since this announcement. Wtf are they doing with this show?

I'm looking forward to seeing how they handle all the DC characters too. That has to be a minefield to navigate. Who will they use for Constantine or Superman? IMO I think I'd rather this show just use original casting for them all and be an alternate universe instead of using movie/show versions of characters (as fantastic as Matt Ryans Constantine is; there's also the JJ Abrams HBO show version that's in development which makes this even more complicated).

Impediment
I'm fine with gender swapping. I just want good actors and even better writing.

I'm genuinely anxious to see who is cast as Death.

Impediment
Major casting update!

https://www.avclub.com/netflix-casts-sandman-s-death-desire-and-constantine-1846975288

I utterly baffled as to why they felt it necessary to include the pronouns of the characters.

Also, I hate Patton Oswalt.

Robtard
It's a trend now I think, I see it on Zoom meetings where it reads something like "Jon Smith (He/Him)" below the person.

David Thewlis is a solid actor.

BruceSkywalker
I miht watch but i hope there is a ton of nudity

Impediment

Impediment
fK-Bl7gZ9s8

Impediment
VBXqrBl6pEo

ares834
Looks decent. Better than expected at least.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Impediment
VBXqrBl6pEo Doesn't look like Pete Murphy or Robert Smith enough.

Old Man Whirly!
Major casting update!

https://www.avclub.com/netflix-casts-sandman-s-death-desire-and-constantine-1846975288

I utterly baffled as to why they felt it necessary to include the pronouns of the characters.

Also, I hate Patton Oswalt. Desire was always him/her same with despair Imp. It's not new, but it is different to how it was.

Impediment
Everything we know, so far:

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/netflixs-the-sandman-everything-we-know-so-far-12-2021/

Impediment

Old Man Whirly!

Impediment
4BfR7oIsokE

Old Man Whirly!
Not sold... we'll see. Lucius?

cdtm

ares834
Visuals look nice. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Robtard
That preview didn't do much for me. Still giving it a shot though.

Impediment

BruceSkywalker
dunno if i wanna pay 20 bucks/month just for this but its a possibility

Impediment

BruceSkywalker
When does this come on so I can bring back Netflix

Impediment
Late August.

BruceSkywalker
Late August.

thanks matt

Old Man Whirly!
Still not sure how I feel about ANY changes to the original comic here, but I will STILL watch.

Impediment
ZJXamnPUm0I

ares834
Looks great.

LotR, HoD, and Sandman. A lot of fantasy series coming out in the next two months. Hopefully at least one of them is good...

Old Man Whirly!
ZJXamnPUm0I hmmm, we'll see

Robtard
Still this:
Originally posted by Robtard
That preview didn't do much for me. Still giving it a shot though.

Impediment

BruceSkywalker
ZJXamnPUm0I

Guy read more Sandman comics than I but I'll give this a watch

Old Man Whirly!
Tonight... we will know!

Impediment
Episode 1 of the Sandman was pretty solid and very faithful to the source material. I think this may be the first good adaptation of a Vertigo title.

Arachnid1
I'm two episodes in. So far, pretty damn good and faithful to the broader strokes of the comic. I'm enjoying it. Disappointed in no classic Constantine though.

Old Man Whirly!
Starting ep 1. Now.

DeadpoolXXX
i'm 9 episodes deep so far.

they're really all-in with establishing the overall homosexual, transgender, minority, and matriarchy aspects of this series, as most of the key players have been "retconned" (or added) into one of the above...... which is fine, but it just doesnt mesh with the source material at all. so based on that alone, i expect the show to get rave reviews.

that being said; it has been pretty good so far. the guy who plays dream is perfect for the role.

Impediment

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by DeadpoolXXX
i'm 9 episodes deep so far.

they're really all-in with establishing the overall homosexual, transgender, minority, and matriarchy aspects of this series, as most of the key players have been "retconned" (or added) into one of the above...... which is fine, but it just doesnt mesh with the source material at all. so based on that alone, i expect the show to get rave reviews.

that being said; it has been pretty good so far. the guy who plays dream is perfect for the role. The source material was full of homosexuality and transgenderism.

Galan007
Had nothing going on today, so I binged the entire series.

It was pretty damn good up to episode 6(and I really enjoyed ep.6), but took a sharp decline after that, imo... I wasn't a fan of the "Vortex" plot at all.

I also enjoyed the episode where Dream goes to Hell in search of his helm, as a bunch of that dialogue came directly from the comics.

...But yeah, after ep.6 I just kind of checked out.

Impediment

Kazenji
I've only watched two eps so far, Never read the comic and i'm enjoying it.

Arachnid1
Darn, I hadn't heard that. TBH, that's fine. The other DC characters were never the point of the comic, which is something I always appreciated. I've just always been starved for good Constantine. He was trash in the movie, and the offshoot of him in Doom Patrol also missed the mark. Matt Ryan was fantastic (if kind of wasted) but with arrow gone and The Flash ending, his take is coming to an end too probably. I just want a good take on Constantine. Whatever though.

I like this guys Dream, but his voice feels off. Too booming. I always imagined Dream speaking in softer tones. I also wish they gave him paler skin. He looks pretty pink in some scenes, like a normal human. Corinthian is great so far though, so I'm excited to see more of him.

I know it's to be expected since they have limited time, but I'm disappointed none of the one off stories are being adapted. Just the main story. The one offs are some of the best in the comic IMO.

Also, not a fan of Oswalt. Never have been.

Old Man Whirly!
NF Sandman is not my Sandman.

Impediment
My least favorite episode is 5.

24 Hour Diner is a magnificent issue and the episode failed to capture the magic of it.

Not terrible, but not great as it should have been.

Old Man Whirly!
My least favorite episode is 5.

24 Hour Diner is a magnificent issue and the episode failed to capture the magic of it.

Not terrible, but not great as it should have been. yeah, I watched it today its the last episode I watched for exactly that reason.

BruceSkywalker
how many episodes because im gonna watch a little later

BruceSkywalker
okay so watched the first 6 episodes. It's fun hearing them speak in their natural accents. I've liked what I've seen but must confess I don;t know much about the characters since I really didn't the comics. Guy did as I think he'd prolly like this.

just one question.. What the frack was episode 5??

Impediment

beatboks
Trying to force myself to not watch it all at once (it just feels like I've waited to long for it to rush). Having said that watched 4 eps Friday and 3 today so not much more to go.

Loving it so far. It's everything I'd hoped it would be. Ep 5 felt a little laboured for what should have been a great episode. Death in 6 felt perfect. Lucifer was solid, Desire and despair feel pretty right. Dream is good and the Corinthian freaking awesome. Not completely sold on Rose just yet but it's early days for her (she may grow on me)

Impediment

BruceSkywalker

ares834
Five episodes in and so far I've felt that it's fine. It isn't great nor is it a dumpster fire, it's merely competent television which I suppose is quite an accomplishment nowadays considering the trash most of these streaming services are pumping out.

Unfortunately, from what I've heard, the final four episodes shit the bed. I guess we'll see.

As for episode 5, I really liked it. I thought it was a very good episode even if it doesn't hold a candle to the comic. Episode 4 was a bit of a let down though. Gwendoline Christie was horribly miscast as Lucifer. And, yes, Patton Oswalt is terrible.

Old Man Whirly!
I've seen the whole series now. Six is the high point as Galan said earlier. Tbh, the only episode that came near to doing the source material justice. It captured the comic... almost. Martin Tenbones looked great and seeing he and Barbie made me smile Lucifer as Ares says I'd terrible casting. I think a gant widow Twanky is honestly an awful choice. It was all too Pantomime. Losing Funlands speech about "Disney" and being the friendly giant, was a poor choice, the change from Brute and Glob worked well for me. Hob Gadling was perfect, the girl who played death didnt look like Tori Amos, but she did a good job and captured the character. Desire and Despair did not work for me at all. I thought Thewliss did his best in five and i agree with Imp it wasn't claustrophic or dark enough. It needed the narrator approach of the comic and the time of events as in the comic imho to get that. The guy playing Dream is a bit shit too imho, he doesnt project otherworldlyness or majesty

Galan007
thumb up Ep.6 was the best episode of the series, by far. It was very well-done.

I'm still somewhat on the fence about Gwendoline as Lucifer. She didn't get much screentime at all, so I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt... But even so, she still did a lackluster job at portraying the Gaiman/Carey iteration of Lucifer(from the comics) that I was hoping for. Though in all fairness, that'd be a hard task for most actors to pull off, given that Lucifer is one of the best comic characters ever written. I felt the guy who played Dream at least did a better job with the role, even if he still wasn't perfect by any means -- if Gwendoline could at least get to that level with Lucifer, I'd be happier.

Anyway, I expect that Gwendoline will get a lot more screentime next season(I'm assuming there will be a season 2?), given that the end of S01 set the stage for a "Season of Mists" adaptation... So hopefully she changes up her characterization quite a bit for the better. Although that is probably my favorite arc of the comic series, so I'd still be hypercritical and biased regardless. /shrug

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Galan007
thumb up Ep.6 was the best episode of the series, by far. It was very well-done.

I'm still somewhat on the fence about Gwendoline as Lucifer. She didn't get much screentime at all, so I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt... But even so, she still did a lackluster job at portraying the Gaiman/Carey iteration of Lucifer(from the comics) that I was hoping for. Though in all fairness, that'd be a hard task for most actors to pull off, given that Lucifer is one of the best comic characters ever written. I felt the guy who played Dream at least did a better job with the role, even if he still wasn't perfect by any means -- if Gwendoline could at least get to that level with Lucifer, I'd be happier.

Anyway, I expect that Gwendoline will get a lot more screentime next season(I'm assuming there will be a season 2?), given that the end of S01 set the stage for a "Season of Mists" adaptation... So hopefully she changes up her characterization quite a bit for the better. Although that is probably my favorite arc of the comic series, so I'd still be hypercritical and biased regardless. /shrug Yup, seasons of the mist is next up. I think it did enough for a season two. I think Charlie Hunnan could do Lucifer. But would they have been able to afford him these days, Ryan Gosling is another who for me could have pulled it off.

BruceSkywalker
finished all 10 episodes. i liked this series and looking forward to season 2 which my guess is late next year or early 2024

Robtard
I have two episodes to go, it's all rather just okay to meh at times. One of my main complaints is the actor who plays Dream, I find the acting cringe at times with the endless forlorn looks and exaggerated mouth movements. Maybe that's how the character is supposed to be, as I've not read the comic.

Episode with the immortal guy is my favorite so far. The diner is second.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Robtard
I have two episodes to go, it's all rather just okay to meh at times. One of my main complaints is the actor who plays Dream, I find the acting cringe at times with the endless forlorn looks and exaggerated mouth movements. Maybe that's how the character is supposed to be, as I've not read the comic.

Episode with the immortal guy is my favorite so far. The diner is second. Yeah, the actor who plays dream is not my Morpheus!

Impediment
Stephen Fry did rather well as Fiddler's Green, too.

Old Man Whirly!
Stephen Fry did rather well as Fiddler's Green, too. Yes, he did! thumb up

Impediment

Old Man Whirly!

Kazenji
Just found out that they've added an 11th episode to season 1.

Old Man Whirly!
Will look.

Impediment
Netflix dropped an unannounced episode that contains Dream of a Thousand Cats and Calliope!

What a lovely surprise!

Old Man Whirly!
Netflix dropped an unannounced episode that contains Dream of a Thousand Cats and Calliope!

What a lovely surprise! it was superb second only to the Hobb Gadling shenanigans.

Old Man Whirly!
James McAvoy and David Tennant were voice artists here and Rory from Doctor who has grown up and acted well.

Old Man Whirly!

What a lovely surprise! it also shows sticking strongly to the source material works best as both of these were superb. Recast Lucifer, for me that's the biggest potential future weakness.

Impediment

Old Man Whirly!

BruceSkywalker
gonna watch the bonus episode tomorrow or monday

dynamix
it was dope!! loved it!! hope i aint spoiled it for anyone but i tought fiddler green was The Presence for a second there lol

Kazenji
It's been renewed for a 2nd season.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Kazenji
It's been renewed for a 2nd season. Excellent. I hope they listen to fan feedback.

cdtm
Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
Excellent. I hope they listen to fan feedback.

I hope they don't.

Fans are dumb, Star Wars sequels went downhill the moment they listened to the fans.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.