Forum POWA!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

leonidas
so i've heard it said the forum wrecks comics for some folk. it changes the way we read them for example (people read in search of feats for example, instead of purely enjoying them). i've also heard people say the forum has both wrecked characters for them AND caused further appreciation of other characters.

this thread will likely be moved, but i'm curious to know about how the forum has affected you as readers (and presumably people who love comics). who do you now hate that you never used to before the forum? do you love a character or book now BECAUSE of the forum? what else has the forum done to shape your reading? do you think new readers would be better served NOT to be part of a vs forum? would they enjoy books more? or do the positives outweigh the negatives? does the forum have...no impact at all on how and what you read?

outside of being a place to make some cool e-friends, how does the forum affect y'all?

DarkSaint85
I took a break from the forum back in 2016 or so, because I was just reading comics for feats.

Then I came back, and decided not to. No characters have been ruined for me personally, because I jump on posters' arguments rather than who they're supporting.

Ultimately, both companies are as good/bad as each other. It's a story, that can change from issue to issue. Tomorrow, Tom King night write that Batman has always been powered by a Bat God all these years, and is subconsciously superhuman....Doesn't matter to me. My world is going to crumble because of it.

It's like those people who cry when their sports team loses. I mean....Sure OK, losing's bad, but life goes on and the company continues to make money.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'm not invested in the characters or companies, but just the debating. In another life, I might be on a car forum debating whether American muscle cars are better than Japanese rice rockets, for example.

Galan007
If battleboard arguments can ruin comics(or even a particular character) for you irl, then that's pretty pathetic. I absolutely loathe the way quanchi used to wank Thanos here, for example, but that doesn't mean I stopped enjoying the original Infinity Gauntlet series, ffs.

There will always be dipshits doing dipshit things, but what they say shouldn't affect you outside of here.

qwertyuiop1998
Saint and Galan already said I want to say....TBH, I personally just want to talk and support my favorite characters. I putting feats just for made them look cool.

abhilegend
It doesn't affect me TBH.

Philosophía
Originally posted by Galan007
If battleboard arguments can ruin comics(or even a particular character) for you irl, then that's pretty pathetic. I absolutely loathe the way quanchi used to wank Thanos here, for example, but that doesn't mean I stopped enjoying the original Infinity Gauntlet series, ffs.

There will always be dipshits doing dipshit things, but what they say shouldn't affect you outside of here. thumb up

The only situation that has happened to me is in the early pre 2010-years when I read a character for counter-arguments and I end up linking him.

ShadowFyre
The only part that really gets me is I feel like I notice feats more and when they aren't consistent it ruins the whole story.

Like Thor being hurt by the sun under the same author that had him fighting in one.

Or Superman getting hurt by anything less than a planet shattering explosion (more really) is just bad writing

StiltmanFTW
I remember a thread like this one.

Anyway, KMC usually enhances the experience... usually.

Leo can't even look at Iron Fist anymore, for example.

Adam Grimes
Nah, this haven't ruined any character for me luckily. If anything, it has introduced me to obscure series, runs or chars I wouldn't have even know they existed otherwise

staxamillion
who do you now hate that you never used to before the forum?
tbh this forum has not killed any love for any character or company for me.

do you love a character or book now BECAUSE of the forum?
yes

what else has the forum done to shape your reading?
now I read more stuff I wouldn't because I can see what is cool in ownage and the questions thread

do you think new readers would be better served NOT to be part of a vs forum?
yes, the level of understanding as well as shitposting would turn off somebody that just likes green lantern and wants to talk about it.

would they enjoy books more? or do the positives outweigh the negatives?
maybe they would read more to debate or maybe be offended by lowballing and wanking... the positives idk it is always cool meet people that with similar interests but as far as new readers coming in, I think it has to be said the positives do not outweigh the negatives as I keep hearing about the dwindling # of posters but it seems most the hardcore people are good with each other

does the forum have...no impact at all on how and what you read? I wouldn't say that now I know stories and characters I wouldn't have before

leonidas
lol i've come around on fist stilt. thumb up

for those who say it hasn't coloured your views about characters, i say... i have a very hard time believing you haven't read a book hoping to see some character or other get their sh!t pushed in based on some hype from the forums. if you truly haven't, well, good on you i guess, but i suspect you are in the extreme minority.

the forum does help sometimes, by keeping you up to date, and by bringing characters to attention that might otherwise have slipped by though.

staxamillion
tbh kmc has led me to hate the characters I disliked more than I have before lol.

darthgoober
Not the forum itself, but actively debating on the forum definitely ruined comics for me for a long time. But to be fair, I'm on the spectrum for autism and my shrink told me that I let things I actually care about get to me a lot more than most people. Hell he said I let stuff get to me more than most of his other patients lol

ShadowFyre
I didn't read all of it. Nah, I still love my characters and have learned about a lot more.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by leonidas
lol i've come around on fist stilt. thumb up

Sure, but only after the most of IF boys left the site... laughing out loud

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by darthgoober
Not the forum itself, but actively debating on the forum definitely ruined comics for me for a long time. But to be fair, I'm on the spectrum for autism and my shrink told me that I let things I actually care about get to me a lot more than most people. Hell he said I let stuff get to me more than most of his other patients lol

Easy, goober.

That bad abhi won't inappropriately touch your Surfer again.

--
Forum affects us to some degree whether we admit it or not... a great example of that would be those retarded Superman threads that will need to be banned again very soon, I feel.

darthgoober
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Easy, goober.

That bad abhi won't inappropriately touch your Surfer again.

--
Forum affects us to some degree whether we admit it or not... a great example of that would be those retarded Superman threads that will need to be banned again very soon, I feel.
abhi didn't even start posting till I had already stopped posting on KMC. I think I might have encountered him on herochat once or twice when I stopped in there to correct something, but I don't even know if he and I have ever had an invested discussion.

darthgoober
Wait no, that's wrong. When I very, VERY first started posting again, he and I had a bit of a drawn out thing about Surfer, but even that only lasted for an hour or two.

StiltmanFTW
He's still got a grudge against you.

darthgoober
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
He's still got a grudge against you.
He's had that since forever. I use to have a couple myspace/facebook friends from KMC and they'd message me after I stopped posting and tell me about abhi bringing me up even though we'd never spoken lol

StiltmanFTW
Ah, so it's more than that. It's some twisted obsession?

Kinky.

I'm calling him, let's get a room and get a little spicy love

-Pr-
Thinking back, the only thing KMC really did for me was introduce me to new characters, or to make me look at characters in a new way when I might not have thought much of them in the past.

I have grown to trust my own headcanon and interpretations of certain characters more, though that could just be down to seeing how much of a decline certain characters have gone through.

Quick Freeze

abhilegend
Originally posted by darthgoober
He's had that since forever. I use to have a couple myspace/facebook friends from KMC and they'd message me after I stopped posting and tell me about abhi bringing me up even though we'd never spoken lol
Eh?

DarkSaint85
I kinda feel that this week has been a textbook case.

What should have been a great character development arc for Dr Strange - taking that final step, sacrificing his friends and family to win a fight, overcoming the ultimate meld of science and magic - has been overshadowed by a side character punching really hard.

Stoic
It ruined it for me because no one even mentioned that Rick died, or that The Walking Dead just ended. Just kidding it really doesn't affect me. The only thing that has ever bothered me was that certain posters seem to be unable to comprehend what they've read, and then argue for 20 plus pages that they understood things that even the writer had no intention of conveying, but still, they seem to have gotten a revelation about the story that no one else had gotten. And don't let me get started on the bu!!Shitters that know they've been proven wrong and instead of admitting to it, they find ways to undermine the truth in a bid to disillusion those that actually correctly understood the subject.

Badabing
Originally posted by leonidas
so i've heard it said the forum wrecks comics for some folk. it changes the way we read them for example (people read in search of feats for example, instead of purely enjoying them). i've also heard people say the forum has both wrecked characters for them AND caused further appreciation of other characters.

this thread will likely be moved, but i'm curious to know about how the forum has affected you as readers (and presumably people who love comics). who do you now hate that you never used to before the forum? do you love a character or book now BECAUSE of the forum? what else has the forum done to shape your reading? do you think new readers would be better served NOT to be part of a vs forum? would they enjoy books more? or do the positives outweigh the negatives? does the forum have...no impact at all on how and what you read?

outside of being a place to make some cool e-friends, how does the forum affect y'all? I used to be able to read comics with ignorant bliss. Now I'm a lot more critical of how characters are portrayed, specifically their power-sets and their personalities.

Thanks KMC...sneer

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.