Will Ava Duvernay be able to pull off Darkseid?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

quanchi112
She has confirmed he will be in her new film. Will she deliver or mess this chance up?

Josh_Alexander
Honestly, I think that regardless of Darkseid being a good villain or not, DC is already doomed. At least to the point where I don't think Darkseid will have the same impact Thanos did, or to the point where it will be the lifejacket DC needs.

quanchi112
No one believes Darkseid can have the same impact Thanos did but I just want to know if anyone trusts this director to handle the character. If she has a joss whedon amount of Darkseid I would be ok with that since I doubt she can handle the character. If he is a background character and not the main villain I would be more hopeful of that situation.

BruceSkywalker
i would hope that she does, however I wanna see a trailer. I wanna see who is cast as Barda who is my second fave New Gods character. U have hope tom king delivers a kick ass script and hopefully someone good to portray Darkseid

quanchi112
At this point the film has not been greenlit so it might not even happen. Look at the flash movie.

Flyattractor
Hopefully if DS does get to the Big Screen He won't be a Big Cry Baby with a stupid plan like a certain boring prune face I could mention.

juggernaut74
I don't think she is qualified to direct a movie like this.

quanchi112
Originally posted by juggernaut74
I don't think she is qualified to direct a movie like this. Wrinkle in time was a disaster. If she gets a crack and kills the ip this is all dc fans might get.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Hopefully if DS does get to the Big Screen He won't be a Big Cry Baby with a stupid plan like a certain boring prune face I could mention. Thanos winning and showing depth of character willing to sacrifice everything is something you would never understand you 2d human.

Flyattractor
Yeah. I can see you thinking Being a Big Whiney Cry Baby would be a good example of "Depth of Character".

Sad Sad Little ShillCuck.

WolvesofBabylon
Depth of character? Wow.. what a lunatic

KingD19
Man if Michael Clarke Duncan was still around he'd make a perfect Uxas.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by quanchi112
Thanos winning

https://tenor.com/6Y9x.gif

CaveDude33211
https://www.tabletoptribe.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Charlie-Sheen-Winning-gif.gif

quanchi112
Originally posted by Darth Thor
https://tenor.com/6Y9x.gif

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/OpulentCourteousHagfish-size_restricted.gif

quanchi112
Yeah. I can see you thinking Being a Big Whiney Cry Baby would be a good example of "Depth of Character".

Sad Sad Little ShillCuck. Thanos won. Darkseid will never matter. You backed the loser train.

Flyattractor
So Dying Twice is how you count Victory?

Yeah.... You would.

quanchi112
So Dying Twice is how you count Victory?

Yeah.... You would. He wiped out half the universe he won. Accept that Thanos is the greatest of all time.

BruceSkywalker
I wanna see a decent version of Darkseid. Hopefully someone very tall, good at mo-cap and voice work .. of course i have an idea

roughrider
Darkseid will never measure up to Thanos now, in the minds of the larger paying public. There just isn't the same depths to him. He's closer to being like Marvel's Apocalypse - always plotting, never really accomplishing anything. Joker is DC's best villain as Thanos is Marvel's best, because neither wants what the traditional villain wants - they both have darker desires.

I think DC rebooting to have Earth-1 & 2 is part of staging a multiverse collapse, to herald the arrival of the Anti-Monitor. He's a bigger and more different universal threat than Darkseid.

WolvesofBabylon
Originally posted by roughrider
Darkseid will never measure up to Thanos now, in the minds of the larger paying public. There just isn't the same depths to him. He's closer to being like Marvel's Apocalypse - always plotting, never really accomplishing anything. Joker is DC's best villain as Thanos is Marvel's best, because neither wants what the traditional villain wants - they both have darker desires.

I think DC rebooting to have Earth-1 & 2 is part of staging a multiverse collapse, to herald the arrival of the Anti-Monitor. He's a bigger and more different universal threat than Darkseid.

The CW shows are actually going to introduce the Antimonitor in this falls crossover Crisis event. In all honesty the CW crossovers have been really good.

Flyattractor
On a Serious note can we just accuse Quanchi of being a Sexist based on His MCU ShillCuckery?

I say we should.

StiltmanFTW
Thanos won. Darkseid will never matter. You backed the loser train.

thumb up

roughrider
Originally posted by WolvesofBabylon
The CW shows are actually going to introduce the Antimonitor in this falls crossover Crisis event. In all honesty the CW crossovers have been really good.

Yeah, so much so Brandon Routh is playing Ray Palmer and an alternate universe Superman in the same TV universe. roll eyes (sarcastic)

I haven't really been paying attention to the Arrowverse since it's totally separate from the DCEU to date, but maybe they are just using it as a testing ground for future movie projects, to see what works and could work better.

Darth Thor

I haven't really been paying attention to the Arrowverse since it's totally separate from the DCEU to date,

Which ended up being a good thing. And the only way we actually ended up getting a decent live action Barry Allen.

Although looks like it will connect to Superman Returns stick out tongue

quanchi112

I think DC rebooting to have Earth-1 & 2 is part of staging a multiverse collapse, to herald the arrival of the Anti-Monitor. He's a bigger and more different universal threat than Darkseid. I agree Am has always overshadowed Darkseid a poor mans Thanos in terms of history and would work better on the big screen. The pathetic tv universe is taking him on and ruining it. Warner has screwed themselves over in ways you have to admire. It takes serious dedication to make horrendous decision and misstep after misstep to secure the destruction of your own brand.

quanchi112
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
thumb up Dc fans do not even argue otherwise anymore.

Robtard
I'll only seen her Wrinkle in Time which was shit, even for a kid's film.

So I'm highly skeptical here, there's far more going against her and this film than for. But you never know, some directors just fit a certain film.

ares834
Originally posted by Robtard

You're not allowed to have an opinion on that film.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Robtard

So I'm highly skeptical here, there's far more going against her and this film than for. But you never know, some directors just fit a certain film. It was awful but if the movie does well and he is not the main villain another director could pull it off down the road.

tkitna
Hopefully if DS does get to the Big Screen He won't be a Big Cry Baby with a stupid plan like a certain boring prune face I could mention.

Steppenwolf?

quanchi112
Originally posted by tkitna
Steppenwolf? That guy was so lame. Dceu sucks. I wonder when it will change tbh.

WolvesofBabylon
I agree Am has always overshadowed Darkseid a poor mans Thanos in terms of history and would work better on the big screen. The pathetic tv universe is taking him on and ruining it. Warner has screwed themselves over in ways you have to admire. It takes serious dedication to make horrendous decision and misstep after misstep to secure the destruction of your own brand.

How are they ruining it? Hasnt even happened yet.

Surtur
What they gotta do is avoid making it so people compare him to Thanos. They should have a line from darkseid, that they use in the trailer, where he goes "I am not inevitable, I am the end." Lol, though that might encourage it, I'd just think it'd be cool.

Anyways, make him different. Darkseid doesn't wanna kill half the universe to "help" people. He wants to evaporate all individuality and emotion everywhere.

And make it so even Superman cannot put up even a little bit of a fight against him. Make it different than Scarlet Witch and Cap and Captain Marvel being able to give Thanos trouble.

Robtard
Thanos was inspired by Darkseid, so it's a given people are going to compare the two.

Surtur
True, but most won't know Thanos is the copy.

This is why DC needs to work hard to make Darkseid separate.

And for f*cks sake get Michael Ironside to voice him.

Robtard
Originally posted by Surtur

That's what I said thumb up

quanchi112
How are they ruining it? Hasnt even happened yet. If they use this story on tv that more than likely means they would not dare retread the same storyline in the cinema. Wasting their biggest crossover on tv. They already blew the death of Superman. Blowing a lot of source material in a hurry. Wasted potential.

quanchi112
What they gotta do is avoid making it so people compare him to Thanos. They should have a line from darkseid, that they use in the trailer, where he goes "I am not inevitable, I am the end." Lol, though that might encourage it, I'd just think it'd be cool.

Anyways, make him different. Darkseid doesn't wanna kill half the universe to "help" people. He wants to evaporate all individuality and emotion everywhere.

And make it so even Superman cannot put up even a little bit of a fight against him. Make it different than Scarlet Witch and Cap and Captain Marvel being able to give Thanos trouble. Making Darkseid 2 dimensional and your standard I want all power makes him as superficial as most evil fictional characters. Thanos stood out due to his unique conviction and motivation. He overcame personal temptation. Most villains just want more power but the unique nature of Thanos makes him stand out even more.

Thanos beat the brakes off Hulk, Thor, Cap with the hammer, Iron Man, etc. He defeated Carol despite her insane power levels and he only having one arm. SW unleashed the power to destroy an infinity stone on him and he still used his mental acumen to defeat her. You need there to be drama in a fight scene. If a character just beats everyone down in a second you lose the audience.

Like a typical battleboarder you are not thinking from a story aspect or keeping the battle dramatic and fresh.

quanchi112

And for f*cks sake get Michael Ironside to voice him. Thanos was not inspired by Darkseid nor does it matter. The go bots came first over the transformers. They did not catch on or appeal to the general public in the same vein as the transformers. It only matters what works and what does not. Thanos clearly worked. Thanos motivations were always different and the MCU version connected to the masses worldwide. This is a once in a lifetime event. Darkseid will pale in comparison even if they get it to work since it will not be tied into a mega event that we just witnessed with the last two avengers movies.

BruceSkywalker
battinson will defeat daarkseid laughing laughing laughing laughing big grin big grin big grin

quanchi112
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
battinson will defeat daarkseid laughing laughing laughing laughing big grin big grin big grin Darkseid fans have given up the fight. They know not to trust warner.

eThneoLgrRnae
Thanos won. Darkseid will never matter. You backed the loser train.

Everyone knows Thanos is just a rip-off of the greatly superior character Darkseid. thumb up

eThneoLgrRnae

Hell yeah. Michael Ironside's voice is what made Darkseid so great in the Superman animated series & JLA animated series. It's doubtful they will ever find anyone with a better voice to fit that role.

quanchi112
Originally posted by eThneoLgrRnae
Everyone knows Thanos is just a rip-off of the greatly superior character Darkseid. thumb up Untrue. Starlin even confirms it. Your opinion does not matter. Culture is shaped now by Thanos. The general audience does not know anything about the throwaway line referencing the guy in JL.

Thanos sits atop the box office throne.

eThneoLgrRnae
Whoops... looks like I triggered little quanny. laughing out loud

Can't talk bad about his fictional idol. laughing out loud

quanchi112
Whoops... looks like I triggered little quanny. laughing out loud

Can't talk bad about his fictional idol. laughing out loud I am just reminding you of the facts, kid. You cannot handle them because you are emotionally weak.

Darth Thor
Thanos first appearance: February 1973 The Invincible Iron Man #55

Darkseid first appearance as a cameo: November 1970 Supermans Pal Jimmy Olsen #134
First full appearance: February 1971 Forever People #1

I really couldnt care less but anyone can wiki dat shit and confirm Darkseid came first. Like at least 2 years earlier.

quanchi112
Thanos first appearance: February 1973 The Invincible Iron Man #55

Darkseid first appearance as a cameo: November 1970 Supermans Pal Jimmy Olsen #134
First full appearance: February 1971 Forever People #1

I really couldnt care less but anyone can wiki dat shit and confirm Darkseid came first. Like at least 2 years earlier. I never said he did not I said he was not based off Darkseid from Starlin. Thanos is culturally relevant globally. Biggest villain of all time in the biggest film of all time. Darkseid will always be tiny to Thanos. It is over. Just as the go bots are trash compared to the transformers.

Surtur
Hell yeah. Michael Ironside's voice is what made Darkseid so great in the Superman animated series & JLA animated series. It's doubtful they will ever find anyone with a better voice to fit that role.

I always remember this clip(starts at 30 seconds):

0g2jPVfpK68

eThneoLgrRnae
Yeah, I remember that episode. Very dark and grim.

quanchi112
Yeah, I remember that episode. Very dark and grim. Darkseid is a ***** just like you.

eThneoLgrRnae

0g2jPVfpK68

Btw, listening to the producers' voice-over commentary on that episode revealed that Dan Turpin (the character killed by DS at the end there) was based on Jack Kirby, the creator of DS and the other New Gods (like Orion, Highfather, Steppenwolf, Kalibak, etc...) though it's likely you already knew that I guess.

quanchi112
Maybe dc will start to honor Kirby not in the same way Stan is but something. Dc just does everything terribly tbh.

BruceSkywalker
Duvernay has a tough fight ahead of her, but depending on how Darkseid is written as well as portrayed, hopefully he'll have good feats

quanchi112
Duvernay has a tough fight ahead of her, but depending on how Darkseid is written as well as portrayed, hopefully he'll have good feats I doubt he will be the main villain of the film. If the budget is cheap like Shazam he might look dumb and be as generic as it gets. They need to go AM route as I said. Most like d. Thor hate AM and praise Shazam for its genetic and cheapness you cannot get any more forgettable.

Darth Thor
They need to go AM route as I said. Most like d. Thor hate AM and praise Shazam for its genetic and cheapness you cannot get any more forgettable.

Rewatched AM and cant believe how bad the dialogue and acting was.

Shazam was great fun. Acting was good (yes the kids acted much better than Aquamamoa). Dialogue was good. And damn that film had heart.

quanchi112
Rewatched AM and cant believe how bad the dialogue and acting was.

Shazam was great fun. Acting was good (yes the kids acted much better than Aquamamoa). Dialogue was good. And damn that film had heart. It was hands down better than that made for tv trash that was Shazam. Tv actors, horrendous cgi, generic villain, no heart just forgettable shit. The visuals in Am were great but you are the same guy who praised Wan now to trash him. You change your mind based off your feelings in that moment day to day. You begged him to do Star Wars now say the acting he accepted for Am is terrible. Make up your mind. Shazam is trash. My opinion matched the general audiences pre films. I am the best.

Darth Thor
Nah couldnt believe how cheesy AM was on a rewatch.

No point just throwing money on bad dialogue. Well it made money, so was worth it for them. And that Billion was desperately needed for the DCEUs survival. But quality wise thumb down

quanchi112
Nah couldnt believe how cheesy AM was on a rewatch.

No point just throwing money on bad dialogue. Well it made money, so was worth it for them. And that Billion was desperately needed for the DCEUs survival. But quality wise thumb down You say that with a straight face while praising Shazam. That movie was corny and made for kids. Much more childish than AM.

I have a gauge for what will work and what will not. When Star Wars 9 delivers I will rub it in once again since you doubted Abrams and the studio. Just wait. You got all riled up with the haters acting like Star Wars was dead when it was the vast minority screaming the loudest on the Internet. Just listen to me from now on.

ares834

0g2jPVfpK68

Darkseid was downright amazing in cartoon.

How can Thanos even compete?

Darth Thor
^ That was pretty shocking for a 90s cartoon.

quanchi112
Originally posted by ares834
Darkseid was downright amazing in cartoon.

How can Thanos even compete? It is a niche cartoon general audiences do not know or care. Thanos is the greatest cinematic villain in the most successful unadjusted film of all time. You can pretend your feelings matter more than they do but success and cultural relevance is what rules the land, friend.

Darth Thor
^ Youd be surprised. The DCAU was pretty popular.

quanchi112
^ Youd be surprised. The DCAU was pretty popular. Niche is not shit tbh. Sure it is something but the general audiences is what every franchise longs for. Dc has become so inferior the higher ups have to publicly admit they cannot compete with their rival. Must suck to be a proud dc fan. Glad I always backed marvel and Thanos. I won.

Darth Thor
Glad I always backed marvel and Thanos. I won.

How much did you win?

quanchi112
How much did you win?

https://66.media.tumblr.com/86ae903c6ccdfc2da18d1b11f9d2c5f7/tumblr_pcpk9pSnaU1qkksz8o8_r1_500.gif

quanchi112
https://heroichollywood.com/henry-cavill-superman-darkseid-justice-league/

The Snyder cut would have been so much better. Warner destroyed their own brand by firing him and putting out a Frankenstein film of two directors. Shame on warner.

quanchi112
Ares has a fight with Darkseid too. These guys seemed to be chumpis in the dceu to be honest. Seems the top dog is Doomsday still to this day. What a sad state of affairs.

WolvesofBabylon
Batman vs Superman is what ruined DCEU. It should have been a Solo Batman movie then MOS 2 could have been the start of a 2-3 part movie of the Death of Superman with WW/Flash/Aquaman having their own solo movies then we should now be starting a JL trilogy with JL 1 being similar to what it was then part 2 Darkseid invades and part 3 JL wins.

Unfortunately they felt they had to jump right in and try to do what it took Marvel years to accomplish by building a brand.

quanchi112
Batman vs Superman is what ruined DCEU. It should have been a Solo Batman movie then MOS 2 could have been the start of a 2-3 part movie of the Death of Superman with WW/Flash/Aquaman having their own solo movies then we should now be starting a JL trilogy with JL 1 being similar to what it was then part 2 Darkseid invades and part 3 JL wins.

Unfortunately they felt they had to jump right in and try to do what it took Marvel years to accomplish by building a brand. That started a domino effect but firing Snyder mid film cannot be excused. If WW was not as well received and financially successful the dceu would have been dead. Now we also got a highly successful film in AM so it will be interesting what kind of plan is set forth (if any) to see where the road goes from here.

Looking back now while Batman v. Superman stunk Man of Steel has gained more favor than I originally thought. Snyder was not a train wreck but once his second film failed the meddling in justice league decimated the brand.

BruceSkywalker
I doubt he will be the main villain of the film. If the budget is cheap like Shazam he might look dumb and be as generic as it gets. They need to go AM route as I said. Most like d. Thor hate AM and praise Shazam for its genetic and cheapness you cannot get any more forgettable.

im expecting a budget of at least $200 million, but im hoping darkseid will be m-cap work as well as a real good voice actor

quanchi112
im expecting a budget of at least $200 million, but im hoping darkseid will be m-cap work as well as a real good voice actor I do not think it will be close to that. It better be at least 150 million but the dceu has gotten so cheap who knows.

-Pr-
I really think people need to manage their expectations with this one. It's not a Darkseid film; it's a New Gods film, with a story being worked on by Tom King. I'm sure Darkseid will be in it, mind you, but I expect the likes of Barda and Miracle to play a much larger part in this movie than I do the more higher-ups.

Plus, if it's at all like Kirby's vision, it's going to be a mental meld of sci-fi and fantasy that we really don't see on-screen that much anymore.

Flyattractor
DCAU Trumps everything put out by MCU.

How much did you win?

https://66.media.tumblr.com/86ae903c6ccdfc2da18d1b11f9d2c5f7/tumblr_pcpk9pSnaU1qkksz8o8_r1_500.gif

That face Thanos is Making just says.. I just Shit My Pants'

Eon Blue
Who gives a crap?

quanchi112
DCAU Trumps everything put out by MCU.

That face Thanos is Making just says.. I just Shit My Pants' Iyo but no one really cares about feelings. MCU is the most successful ip in history by a huge distance. Cheee on your lame toons. That face screams Oscar.

quanchi112
Originally posted by -Pr-
I really think people need to manage their expectations with this one. It's not a Darkseid film; it's a New Gods film, with a story being worked on by Tom King. I'm sure Darkseid will be in it, mind you, but I expect the likes of Barda and Miracle to play a much larger part in this movie than I do the more higher-ups.

Plus, if it's at all like Kirby's vision, it's going to be a mental meld of sci-fi and fantasy that we really don't see on-screen that much anymore. I have already said he will barely be in it which is the best bet for fans of the character since Ava is directing.

Surtur
The DCAU was, hands down, the single greatest representation of superhero comics on tv or in the movies.

It blows away the gritty marvel shows, it blows away the dc tv shows. And the Marvel cartoons that aired around the same time as Batman, Superman, Justice League, and JLU just didn't compare. As a kid they all kinda seem to jumble together, but if you rewatch them later when you're older you can see the difference in quality.

DCAU was so impactful that 15 years after it ended they decided to make an animated movie taking place in the DCAU lol(released earlier this year)

Surtur
^ That was pretty shocking for a 90s cartoon.

Hell, remember the episode where Clark Kent "dies"? Cuz a corrupt cop puts a bomb in his car. Of course he is Superman so it doesn't harm him, but someone sees it happen so he has to pretend to be "dead".

The cop ends up arrested and at the very end *as he is being executed* he realizes Clark Kent is Superman.

Then again it's not that surprising it had adult themes, remember all those up skirt shots of Lois?

quanchi112
The DCAU was, hands down, the single greatest representation of superhero comics on tv or in the movies.

It blows away the gritty marvel shows, it blows away the dc tv shows. And the Marvel cartoons that aired around the same time as Batman, Superman, Justice League, and JLU just didn't compare. As a kid they all kinda seem to jumble together, but if you rewatch them later when you're older you can see the difference in quality.

DCAU was so impactful that 15 years after it ended they decided to make an animated movie taking place in the DCAU lol(released earlier this year) Iyo but who cares. Feelings do not override success or cultural relevance. A niche toon is a county in the continent that the MCU has become. MCU rules the planet but cheer on these silly niche toons with no real cultural relevance.

Darth Thor
Iyo but who cares. Feelings do not override success or cultural relevance. A niche toon is a county in the continent that the MCU has become. MCU rules the planet but cheer on these silly niche toons with no real cultural relevance.

So what? When Star Wars was the biggest thing, and Thanos was only in the comics, you still cheered on Thanos and Marvel right?

quanchi112
So what? When Star Wars was the biggest thing, and Thanos was only in the comics, you still cheered on Thanos and Marvel right? The thing is I won. My favorite brand has supplanted Star Wars and is a lot bigger than it ever was globally. Thanos has eclipsed Sidious and Vader. My guy won. Literally and globally.

Darth Thor

quanchi112

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.