The Epic Game exclusivity controversies

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
What does everyone think about Epic exclusivity deals?

Personally, I don't see the problem. It's an app on my desktop, not an entirely separate and expensive console.

The only issues I can identify with, are crowd funded games being ripped away from them, because the devs don't care about honoring their promises to backers.

Which is a common problem to crowd funding in general. Shovel Knight is one example, where crowd funded stretch goals paid for certain expansions, yet the devs chose to charge customers for the very same dlc that was funded by stretch goal money. This is double dipping, as charging extra for content crowd funders paid for really isn't done.

ares834
**** them. I'm not a fan of having to download a shit ton of launcher to play various games. Now if the publisher wants to restrict to restrict their games to their launcher, that's fine and understandable. But paying developers for games after they have finished being developed to get exclusivity to those games... **** that.

cdtm
Fair enough. I've never paid for a game on Epic, and probably never will after losing access to some of their promotional free games.

My only concern is if Epic tanks, goodbye to all those beautiful giveaways, of which many are very high end. (I suppose there will be ways to circumvent the drm they imposed on previous drm free games, if it came to that.)

Edit: Just found out about an offline mode. Requires killing internet access to use, but as long as it isn't timer based, I suppose that will work if they go under. Up until you need to switch systems, anyways.

ares834
With Fortnite, I don't see Epic tanking.

cdtm
Originally posted by ares834
With Fortnite, I don't see Epic tanking.

Least it's good for something. God knows why people are into it, but if it's paying for my Hyper Light Drifter and Subnautica games, long live Fortnite.

Smasandian
This is also due to Steam and I assume devs/publishers being annoyed by them.
For all of Epic's faults, Valve seemed to have turned into a shitty company themselves.

Epic has seen an opening and are taking it. Can't really fault them for that because I can't see them getting a foot hold without paying for exclusives. It also helps that they take less per sale than Steam does (and I think its significantly less)

Personally, I would happy with all launchers receiving all games so you can choose the platform but I really don't care if I play on Steam, Epic, Windows Store (through game pass) or GOG. I don't see the multiple launcher issue any different than pre-Steam when you manually installed each game.

cdtm
Pretty much. The only game I got from Windows Store was Killer Instinct, and I won't get it on Steam because I have season one through Games with Gold, which doesn't cross over to Steam games. I'd be pretty annoyed if I had friends with Steam copies, but I don't, so it's no skin off my nose.

As is, I have Steam, Epic, Gog, Battlenet, and Uplay launchers. The last two have exclusives, which I'm fine with.

Smasandian
Depending on the game but most PC games can used by friends regardless of platforms.

Since I was upgraded to Game Pass Ultimate...I stopped buying "on the fence" games on Steam and etc.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.