Rugby World Cup in Japan

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Putinbot1
England and France go through!

-Pr-
Hopefully the typhoon passes without too much trouble.

walshy
Wales are also through..

Putinbot1
Originally posted by -Pr-
Hopefully the typhoon passes without too much trouble. Agreed, I am please Ireland secured a quarter final spot. The Samoa game was a whitewash.Originally posted by -Pr-
Hopefully the typhoon passes without too much trouble. and yes Walshy they did, I am also pleased they are in the next round.

Putinbot1
Well NZ next... big ask but...

ShoutMan
South Africa or England won the Rugby world cup. Real men's sport

Putinbot1
**** me, we just beat New Zealand for the final.

Putinbot1
Who will we face in the final, who knows. Hopefully Wales will stel up, big ask tbh.

walshy
A Wales England final would be amazing.. If we win of course otherwise it would suck but yeah South Africa are good and honestly if France didn't have a red card they might have beat Wales

Aaron Wainwright took that elbow like a champ though

Putinbot1
Originally posted by walshy
A Wales England final would be amazing.. If we win of course otherwise it would suck but yeah South Africa are good and honestly if France didn't have a red card they might have beat Wales

Aaron Wainwright took that elbow like a champ though A Wales Vs England final would be the greatest ever final in the world cup imho.

Putinbot1
England Vs South Africa final

TheVaultDweller
An England vs RSA Rugby World Cup final... That's going to be a drunk-ass crowd. Whoever is selling the beer has a huge smile right now.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
An England vs RSA Rugby World Cup final... That's going to be a drunk-ass crowd. Whoever is selling the beer has a huge smile right now. No doubt, the welsh like a drink too so it was a win win once England qualified.

walshy
sad

Putinbot1
Originally posted by walshy
sad it was a great performance Walshy. Just shows what Southern hemisphere coaches and northern players combined can do.

TheVaultDweller
They faced tough opponents. The Springboks usually perform well in World Cup tournaments (the complete opposite of our Cricket team *sigh*). In the 6 other cups since rejoining international competition, it's never been lower than the quarter finals, with 2 wins and 2 3rd places, IIRC.

Wales made a good fight of it though. I don't think the points gap was ever more than 3 at any given time (or if it was, not for very long).

Putinbot1
They faced tough opponents. The Springboks usually perform well in World Cup tournaments (the complete opposite of our Cricket team *sigh*). In the 6 other cups since rejoining international competition, it's never been lower than the quarter finals, with 2 wins and 2 3rd places, IIRC.

Wales made a good fight of it though. I don't think the points gap was ever more than 3 at any given time (or if it was, not for very long). Ahh, you are in South Africa. Yes, you do. That said, you have declined somewhat since being allowed back on the World stage and the first world cup win. Before the Apartheid ban you were very dominant. Then of course, you guys managed to negate Lomu, when nobody else could. I think, and I will eat crow if you win the limitation of South African rugby is 1 quota's and two the old fashioned forward mentality.

TheVaultDweller
Our general form hasn't been that consistent for the last 2 decades or so, but we do still tend to excel in tournaments. But a dip in form was to be expected with the transformation process and the growing pains that come along with it though. Our talent pool hasn't depleted. But the infrastructure to draw it out has deteriorated a bit (but that has more to do with missing funds due to government corruption, which is a whole other can of worms I am not getting into right now).

Unfortunately, there is a lot of unnecessary politics behind the scenes of our sports, in general, and it has driven many talented players, coaches and other support staff overseas. I am happy to say that the average RSA citizen cares little for that crap though and most of us are united behind the team as South Africans.

Putinbot1
Our general form hasn't been that consistent for the last 2 decades or so, but we do still tend to excel in tournaments. But a dip in form was to be expected with the transformation process and the growing pains that come along with it though. Our talent pool hasn't depleted. But the infrastructure to draw it out has deteriorated a bit (but that has more to do with missing funds due to government corruption, which is a whole other can of worms I am not getting into right now).

Unfortunately, there is a lot of unnecessary politics behind the scenes of our sports, in general, and it has driven many talented players, coaches and other support staff overseas. I am happy to say that the average RSA citizen cares little for that crap though and most of us are united behind the team as South Africans. I've been to SA a few times, I live in Lagos a lot of the year for work. I like the place, when I was playing myself, I spent some time in the free state as a foreign player. The ball travels so far at altitude in your place lol.

Quotas trigger many South Africans I know. I personally get the need for them but I can see why they are disliked.

TheVaultDweller
Quotas are a part of it (and even there, it's more to do with the manner of application than the concept itself for most people), but not the whole picture. There is a general issue with mentality at the moment. To give a recent example, after the RSA Cricket team's fairly dismal display at that World Cup, the Minister of Sport came out and made excuses, saying something along the lines of that we weren't there to win, just to compete. And that actually triggered a ton of people, including myself. Our team should be competing to win. Not going to tournaments for an attendance badge. And, obviously, athletes want to win. Coaches want winning teams. Sponsors want to back winners. So, that drives all of them away as well.

Putinbot1
Quotas are a part of it (and even there, it's more to do with the manner of application than the concept itself for most people), but not the whole picture. There is a general issue with mentality at the moment. To give a recent example, after the RSA Cricket team's fairly dismal display at that World Cup, the Minister of Sport came out and made excuses, saying something along the lines of that we weren't there to win, just to compete. And that actually triggered a ton of people, including myself. Our team should be competing to win. Not going to tournaments for an attendance badge. And, obviously, athletes want to win. Coaches want winning teams. Sponsors want to back winners. So, that drives all of them away as well. A lot of weird shit going on in South Africa at the moment, the xenophobic business attacks on foreigners etc. Let's hope it sorts itself. I quite like the place.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Putinbot1
A lot of weird shit going on in South Africa at the moment, the xenophobic business attacks on foreigners etc. Let's hope it sorts itself. I quite like the place.

The country is dealing with a number of rather serious issues. Don't want to go into too much detail because I don't want to go too far off topic, but let's just say it's been a rough couple of years here. So, the country kinda needs a win, which is why I think so many people have actually rallied behind the Springboks now.

Putinbot1
The country is dealing with a number of rather serious issues. Don't want to go into too much detail because I don't want to go too far off topic, but let's just say it's been a rough couple of years here. So, the country kinda needs a win, which is why I think so many people have actually rallied behind the Springboks now. Yeah, let's expand that it's been a shit ten years for the world. I think with all the political shenanigans in SA and the UK a lot of people are rapid for a win. It's obviously not our main sport as it is yours for the white populace. Football is our first sport for everyone as you know. But, more people play Rugby in the UK than anywhere else which is ironic.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Putinbot1
Yeah, let's expand that it's been a shit ten years for the world. I think with all the political shenanigans in SA and the UK a lot of people are rapid for a win. It's obviously not our main sport as it is yours for the white populace. Football is our first sport for everyone as you know. But, more people play Rugby in the UK than anywhere else which is ironic.

Lol only the true masochists in this country still genuinely follow our national football team. It's too painful for the rest of us, because that's just completely gone off the rails. I think our FIFA ranking isn't even close to the top 50 at this point. You might find it amusing to know that a lot of the big football enthusiasts here, from a wide range of backgrounds, choose to follow things like the English Premier League instead.

Putinbot1
Lol only the true masochists in this country still genuinely follow our national football team. It's too painful for the rest of us, because that's just completely gone off the rails. I think our FIFA ranking isn't even close to the top 50 at this point. You might find it amusing to know that a lot of the big football enthusiasts here, from a wide range of backgrounds, choose to follow things like the English Premier League instead. Oh, I know, all across the world people follow the premiership and in the UK we follow our local clubs.

Putinbot1
Teams are coming out

Putinbot1
Well the only Brit holding a bottle of champers today will be a waiter. Well done bokkers.

TheVaultDweller
Good game. I think that first half was the decider (even though we did a lot of the scoring in the second half). Those first 40 minutes were hard work. And once one team took the initiative into half-time after that, it was always going to be difficult for the other side to mount a comeback.

It's funny though. 1995. 2007. 2019. Guess I can expect our next one in 2031? laughing

Putinbot1
**** knows what happened to our scrum. Taking nothing away from your boys.

Dreampanther
Still makes me laugh: All Blacks spanking the Boks, English spanking the All Blacks and the the Boks spanking the English.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by Dreampanther
Still makes me laugh: All Blacks spanking the Boks, English spanking the All Blacks and the the Boks spanking the English. I am still smiling a false smile through gritted teeth. laughing

Trocity
The Brits lose at everything.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.