Where to start with comics?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Trocity
So I have always been a fan of superhero cartoons and movies, and I have read random comics from time to time, but was never super interested in them when I was younger. The past little while, I have wanted to get into comics, but I have no idea where to start as there are so damn many. I always hear about pre and post crisis, 616 timeline, etc., and want to know more about this stuff.

I am a fan of both DC and Marvel. I love the JL, Avengers, X-Men.

I was just hoping for some suggestions on where I should start as it pertains to those groups specifically I guess. Any advice at all would be appreciated.

Putinbot1
Rebirth for DC will get you in the now.
Marvel is harder as it's at an all time low. The new Hickman run on the X titles is a good start for them.

lawest9
Originally posted by Putinbot1
Rebirth for DC will get you in the now.
Marvel is harder as it's at an all time low. The new Hickman run on the X titles is a good start for them. Good suggests to him, you are right that Marvel is so screwed up right now, they should really do their own copy of CIOE to reset everything, they copy from DC in so much anyway.

Wonder Man
Wasp as Avengers leader.
Or Havok and Polaris on the X-men.

-Pr-
Marvel has a great series of paperbacks usually under the "Essentials" banner ie Essential X-Men and so on. They usually go for about a tenner and they tend to collect a lot of comics in them (though in black and white to save on costs). And the volumes are numbered too, which is really handy.

Sin I AM
Originally posted by Trocity
So I have always been a fan of superhero cartoons and movies, and I have read random comics from time to time, but was never super interested in them when I was younger. The past little while, I have wanted to get into comics, but I have no idea where to start as there are so damn many. I always hear about pre and post crisis, 616 timeline, etc., and want to know more about this stuff.

I was just hoping for some suggestions on where I should start as it pertains to those groups specifically I guess. Any advice at all would be appreciated.

Honestly just grab a book and just start reading. If something catches your eye you can always go backwards to see what took place beforehand. Comics imo are best when you simply dive in. Also don't get too wrapped up in what others deem is or isn't a good read. Decide for yourself.

Galan007
I'm not sure what you've read, but here are some good all-around books to check out...

DC:
All-Star Superman
Kingdom Come
Sinestro Corps War
DC One Million
The Killing Joke
The Great Darkness Saga
Crisis on Infinite Earths/Infinite Crisis/Final Crisis
Multiversity
Justice League Dark v1
**You can't really go wrong with Grant Morrison...

Marvel:
Infinity Gauntlet (original)
Annihilation
S.H.I.E.L.D. (by Hickman)
Fantastic Four and FF (by Hickman)
The Ultimates & The Ultimates 2 (by Millar)
Daredevil: Born Again
Marvel Zombies (original)
Punisher MAX
House of X & Powers of X

Trocity
Thanks a lot for the suggestions everyone! I really appreciate it.

NemeBro

I was just hoping for some suggestions on where I should start as it pertains to those groups specifically I guess. Any advice at all would be appreciated. What individual characters in each are you interested in in particular?

StiltmanFTW

It's always a good idea to start with the beginning stick out tongue

Seriously. First volumes, first issues. As Pr said, Essentials are definitely worth picking up.

The first Avengers comic:

Avengers volume 1 issue 1

Although in the X-Men case, I guess I wouldn't blame you if you decided to skip to the "All-New, All-Different" era... which began in Giant-Size X-Men and Uncanny X-Men #94.

Claremont is being praised to this day and he still writes sometimes.

Kazenji
Originally posted by -Pr-
Marvel has a great series of paperbacks usually under the "Essentials" banner ie Essential X-Men and so on. They usually go for about a tenner and they tend to collect a lot of comics in them (though in black and white to save on costs). And the volumes are numbered too, which is really handy.

Most of them have been replaced with the Epic collection's which are in colour.

Classic NES
Originally posted by Sin I AM
Honestly just grab a book and just start reading. If something catches your eye you can always go backwards to see what took place beforehand. Comics imo are best when you simply dive in. Also don't get too wrapped up in what others deem is or isn't a good read. Decide for yourself.

This right here.

Smurph

MrMind
don't start comics

it will waste your life away

-Pr-
Originally posted by Kazenji
Most of them have been replaced with the Epic collection's which are in colour.

Ah ok. As long as they're still accessible, thats the main thing.

Vanguard

Khazra Reborn
Marvel and DC suck. Read Valiant, XO Manowar, Ninjak and Wrath of the Eternal Warrior, specifically.

Adam Grimes
Start off with mini-series that catch your interest, to get the taste.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.