Best lightsaber fight

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ShadowFyre
Pretty simple, which is your favorite lightsaber fight and who do you think is the best if you wish to add that.

Mine is Obi and Qui vs. Maul with Yodas first lightsaber fight being a close second. (Vs. dooku or the emperor, I can't remember)

Also I searched to make sure it was not a duplicate and only thing I found was Froths " who is the best lightsaber fighter".

ShadowFyre
Also if there is any in the extended universe that are just mind-blowing, please reference them, I'm sure me and others would like to check them out.

XanatosForever
Not quite the right place for a thread like this, I think. Try asking a mod to move it so it doesn't get closed.

ShadowFyre
I thought this was the movie discussion forum

XanatosForever
This is the Movie Versus Forum, a sub-forum. A thread like this might actually fit better in KMC's dedicated Star Wars forum, though it would be fine in the main movie forum as well, I think.

juggernaut74
Dooku vs anyone.

Dude had grace and style much like myself.

relentless1
Sidious vs Maul and Savage followed closely by Anakin vs Obi Wan on Mustafar

Psychotron
On a purely technical level Obi-Wan vs Anakin followed by Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon vs Maul.
From a story and narrative perspective Luke vs Vader in ESB followed by Luke vs Vader in RotJ.

-Pr-
Originally posted by ShadowFyre
Pretty simple, which is your favorite lightsaber fight and who do you think is the best if you wish to add that.

Mine is Obi and Qui vs. Maul with Yodas first lightsaber fight being a close second. (Vs. dooku or the emperor, I can't remember)

Also I searched to make sure it was not a duplicate and only thing I found was Froths " who is the best lightsaber fighter".

Choreography wise, Qui-Gon & Kenobi V Maul, with Kenobi v Anakin second.

Emotional "story" wise, Luke V Vader in ROTJ.

Outside of the movies, the animated shows have some good ones. The Maul v Kenobi one in REBELS in particular is very well done.

StiltmanFTW
Queeq: ANH duel, everything else sucks.

ares834
The objective correct answer:

https://i.gifer.com/SiuH.gif

Originally posted by juggernaut74
Dooku vs anyone.

sick

Dooku vs Anakin in AotC is straight up the worst duel in the Lucas films.

Juk3n
Duel of the fates, and its not even close.

cdtm
woS7cKQ20Xs

This is.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Queeq: ANH duel, everything else sucks.

laughing out loud

Darth Thor
Originally posted by -Pr-
Outside of the movies, the animated shows have some good ones. The Maul v Kenobi one in REBELS in particular is very well done.

What all 3 moves you mean?

Their fights in TCW were pretty damn cool though.

ShadowFyre
Originally posted by cdtm
woS7cKQ20Xs

This is.

I would love to take a fencing class. I think it would be a lotta fun.

Inhuman
All OT duels were garbo. Looked cool only when there was nothing else to compare them to.
For the plot and emotion side they were ok but thats it.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Darth Thor

Filoni must be a big fan of mental duels:

https://tinyurl.com/ug6zykr

SquallX

cdtm
Originally posted by Inhuman
All OT duels were garbo. Looked cool only when there was nothing else to compare them to.
For the plot and emotion side they were ok but thats it.

Pretty much. All style over substance.

Vader and Obi-Wan used actual dueling techniques and stances.

ares834
The music during the RotJ duel is also breathtaking. Everyone talks about Duel of the Fates or Battle of the Heroes but, while good, they don't hold a candle to the RotJ's duels music.

https://youtu.be/7MJzvyzbqGI?t=71

Psychotron
Originally posted by cdtm
Pretty much. All style over substance.

Vader and Obi-Wan used actual dueling techniques and stances.

People who have magic powers, superhuman reflexes, and who can see the future should not fight like two old Kendo practitioners. It's not like lightsabers behave like real swords anyway.

Inhuman
Have have to agree.
Jedi that are super human in speed, reflexes, precog, etc , should be fighting way differently and more extreme than regular non jedi humans/aliens.
Even if the OT fights used correct fencing techniques, and sword styles from the real world, they still dont compare.
Thats why the PT fights are Superior even though in a few instances they went over the top with unnecessary twirls in flips and so on.
Still were miles better than the OT fights.

Trocity
Originally posted by ares834

The duel on Cloud City is by far my favourite duel from the movies. thumb up

Out of all on-screen duels, Ventress vs Anakin from OCW is awesome as well.

steverules_2
Originally posted by Trocity
The duel on Cloud City is by far my favourite duel from the movies. thumb up

Out of all on-screen duels, Ventress vs Anakin from OCW is awesome as well.

I loved the cloud city fight, an undertrained Luke going to face Vader to save his friends. And then the dramatic end to it all.

Trocity
thumb up

NemeBro
Originally posted by ares834

Yeah pretty much. The climax is one of the most iconic moments in cinema history for a reason.

-Pr-

I mean in stuff other than the live action movies. The two CW shows and REBELS.

StiltmanFTW
I mean in stuff other than the live action movies. The two CW shows and REBELS.

You didn't get his post.

Darth Thor is still butthurt that Obi ended Maul in a few moves in Rebels, even though Filoni explained the damn thing and it was meant to be different.

-Pr-
You didn't get his post.

Darth Thor is still butthurt that Obi ended Maul in a few moves in Rebels, even though Filoni explained the damn thing and it was meant to be different.

Oh that. Right. Yeah, wtf. The REBELS fight is amazing.

Galan007
In the films:
Luke vs. Vader (ESB)
Qui-Gon and Kenobi vs. Maul (TPM)

Counting the shows:
Palpatine vs. Maul and Savage (TCW)
Kenobi vs. Maul (Rebels)

tkitna
Yoda vs Dooku

juggernaut74
Dooku vs Ventress and the Nightsister assasins was my favorite animated fight.

As I type this I'm watching Vader/Luke from Return of the Jedi.

ShadowFyre
There is so many fights I didn't even know about because I didn't watch all the toons.

Darth Thor
Oh that. Right. Yeah, wtf. The REBELS fight is amazing.

Originally posted by Galan007

Kenobi vs. Maul (Rebels)

I just dont get it. It was 3 moves. How amazing can 3 moves be?

From what ive seen the majority of peoples reaction to that fight was WTF?! And these arent Maul fanboys either. Just audiences stoked for a fight that had been hyped up and built up but wound up as nothing.

StiltmanFTW
I just dont get it.

Yes, that's the problem. You don't get it stick out tongue

https://i.ibb.co/HGhH8g0/duel.jpg

ShadowFyre
I just watched the rebels fight, amazing feat for obibut could definitely see why ppl were disappointed

StiltmanFTW

Darth Thor
^ Yeah I get all that Stilt. Ive listened to all the commentary.

But if you need commentary to explain a fight then the execution was simply poor.

StiltmanFTW

But if you need commentary to explain a fight then the execution was simply poor.

I posted it for Shadow. He only now watched the fight.

I understand what's bothering you about that scene, I do, but... after all those prolonged duels, we really deserved something new, something different, imho.

cdtm
Thought the Pre Vizsla ones were good, both with Kenobi and Maul. It was different, showing a non force user holding his own with Jedi and Sith.

NotAllThatEvil
I mean, would it have been so terrible to have all that emotional build up and pay off, but just add like an extra minute or so of flippy tricks and stabby slashes in the middle?

Anyway, top 3 for me are cloud city, obi wan vs anakin, and anakin vs ventress (tartakovsky flavored)

NemeBro

But if you need commentary to explain a fight then the execution was simply poor. Or you could just have shit taste.

StiltmanFTW
laughing out loud

StiltmanFTW
He likes Thor, what did you expect...?

-Pr-

I'm no genius, and I understood it. And I've seen at least one samurai movie. shrug

StiltmanFTW
Perhaps now you're beginning to see why we've bullied 99% of thorbags off KMC.

It was necessary. Made a pact with the devil (superfags) to make it work, but I'd do it all over again.

This little one got away... and chooses to stay hidden on Imp's Island... same as Disney Luke left his friends and decided to milk alien titties for the rest of his life.

NemeBro
Thor is kind of a style over substance character with very little narrative or thematic value who only really has appeal if you enjoy the aesthetics of him and his stories. He isn't a big brain character that can convey thought-provoking themes or have stories with great literary value the way Superman, Batman, or Hulk can. smile

Psychotron
Thought-provoking themes in comic books. Good one.

Darth Thor
I'm no genius, and I understood it. And I've seen at least one samurai movie. shrug

Well you were one of the only ones. Most people simply saw it as a great stomping feat for Kenobi:

Originally posted by ShadowFyre
I just watched the rebels fight, amazing feat for obibut could definitely see why ppl were disappointed

And im yet to find a Darth Maul fan who enjoyed it.

Psychotron
And im yet to find a Darth Maul fan who enjoyed it.

I liked Darth Maul and I thought it was a fitting end for him.

Darth Thor
The thematic stuff was fine. But Nah he was introduced to us as a bad ass Saber duelist and should have gone out as such. Hes not Kit Fisto or Agen Kolar.

Also ive yet to hear how 3 moves could possibly be an Amazing duel, and am absolutely boggled how people are ranking in their top Lightsaber duels. Given, there really was no duel.

Psychotron
The thematic stuff was fine. But Nah he was introduced to us as a bad ass Saber duelist and should have gone out as such. Hes not Kit Fisto or Agen Kolar.

That's mostly just EU wanking. In TPM a Padawan Obi-Wan tapping into his anger cut his saber in half and put him on his ass. Maul had exploit a bottomless pit and a TK attack to beat Padawan Kenobi. In Clone Wars a pre-prime Obi-Wan was winning against him and Savage until Maul used the Force. ANH Kenobi held his own against Vader. It's no surprise he would beat an old, broken down Maul.

Also ive yet to hear how 3 moves could possibly be an Amazing duel, and am absolutely boggled how people are ranking in their top Lightsaber duels. Given, there really was no duel.

I guess you're not a Kurosawa fan.

Galan007
I enjoyed their duel primarily because of the buildup and overall tone leading to it. In that moment we saw that Kenobi was not only protecting something greater than himself, but had also evolved to a point(both spiritually and philosophically) where he had absolutely nothing to fear from a second-rate hack, like Maul, who was still stuck in his old ways. A long, drawn out fight between them would have implied that they were still peers, when they were very clearly meant to be worlds apart.

The simplicity of the duel is exactly what made it so great. smile

steverules_2

Galan007
Yep. Exact same move. thumb up

StiltmanFTW

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Psychotron
In TPM a Padawan Obi-Wan tapping into his anger cut his saber in half and put him on his ass.

thumb up

https://tinyurl.com/qw62boh

-Pr-
Yeah; I don't think it's at all unfair to say that by the time of REBELS, Maul just isn't on Kenobi's level anymore. Kenobi is an elite Jedi Knight that had spent the years since TPM honing his skills, whereas Maul was still stuck in the past. His failed attempt to beat Kenobi the same way he did Qui-Gon is a microcosm of their entire arc.

StiltmanFTW
Kenobi is an elite Jedi Knight

Master. Jedi Master.

-Pr-
Master. Jedi Master.

You know what I meant. Dick.

StiltmanFTW
He was a member of the Jedi Council, too.

Have a seat, young Pr.

-Pr-
He was a member of the Jedi Council, too.

Have a seat, young Pr.

Let's be real: You're not black enough to pull that off.

StiltmanFTW
laughing out loud

Well, I tried.

What are Obi's worst showings? His encounters with Dooku, I guess?

-Pr-
laughing out loud

Well, I tried.

What are Obi's worst showings? His encounters with Dooku, I guess?

Yeah, but even then, it's Dooku of all people.

In the CW he did get captured a fair bit, but there was always that kind of sense that he either was expecting it, or that he just always had a plan B, C, D etc.

Darth Thor
That's mostly just EU wanking. In TPM a Padawan Obi-Wan tapping into his anger cut his saber in half and put him on his ass. Maul had exploit a bottomless pit and a TK attack to beat Padawan Kenobi. In Clone Wars a pre-prime Obi-Wan was winning against him and Savage until Maul used the Force. ANH Kenobi held his own against Vader. It's no surprise he would beat an old, broken down Maul.

Okay you don't sound like a Maul fan at all claiming he had to exploit a bottomless pit to beat a padawan. Kenobi was already floored and disarmed before he went down the pit. And calling him a padawan is about as valid as saying Vader also got beat by a padawan (Luke). But fact is they were both Knighted a few moments later. But at least Maul fought equally to Padawan and Master before hand, and then later beat them both one on one, before losing by being careless and cocky.

Obi-Wan never put Maul down in TCW, and Maul actually beat him in their first fight (albeit circumstances).

Im not arguing that Maul shouldn't have lost to Ben Kenobi. But lets take your comparison of Ben Kenobi being a match for Vader. Old Maul was also a match for Ahsoka. So at the very least we could have expected an Ahsoka vs Vader level of battle.

I guess you're not a Kurosawa fan.

Cant say I am. And shouldn't have to be, nor should I have to go through all the commentary, to get the gist of the fight.

Yeah; I don't think it's at all unfair to say that by the time of REBELS, Maul just isn't on Kenobi's level anymore. Kenobi is an elite Jedi Knight that had spent the years since TPM honing his skills, whereas Maul was still stuck in the past. His failed attempt to beat Kenobi the same way he did Qui-Gon is a microcosm of their entire arc.

Thats fine, but as explained above, should at least be an Ahsoka vs Vader level fight.

The only reason it wasn't was because (according to Witer), Maul underestimated how good Ben Kenobi was at this point.

In his arrogance, Maul probably thought it'd be a fitting end for Kenobi.

Actually according to Witwer Kenobi suckered him in to it. When he kept changing stances his last stance was Qui-Gon's stance. And thats when Maul jumps at him.

I told you I've heard every single commentary on that fight.

Anything to make me feel a little better about it sad

StiltmanFTW
You're just mad because first Obi sodomized your Ani and now did the same thing to Maul smile

XanatosForever
Yeah, but even then, it's Dooku of all people.

In the CW he did get captured a fair bit, but there was always that kind of sense that he either was expecting it, or that he just always had a plan B, C, D etc.

LRXm2zFAmwc

Sorry, I couldn't resist. It's such a good line.

Robtard
Luke vs Vader - Ep5

Jinn/Kenobi vs Mail - Ep1

Anakin/Kenobi vs Dooku Ep3

Vader vs Kenobi - Ep3 (even though this had some cringe moments)

steverules_2
Originally posted by Robtard
Luke vs Vader - Ep5

Jinn/Kenobi vs Mail - Ep1

Anakin/Kenobi vs Dooku Ep3

Vader vs Kenobi - Ep3 (even though this had some cringe moments)

I corrected your mistake no expression

Robtard
Oh, shit. You are correct. Typo'd

ps Never correct me again, you are not my father!

Psychotron
Okay you don't sound like a Maul fan at all claiming he had to exploit a bottomless pit to beat a padawan. Kenobi was already floored and disarmed before he went down the pit. And calling him a padawan is about as valid as saying Vader also got beat by a padawan (Luke). But fact is they were both Knighted a few moments later. But at least Maul fought equally to Padawan and Master before hand, and then later beat them both one on one, before losing by being careless and cocky.

Obi-Wan never put Maul down in TCW, and Maul actually beat him in their first fight (albeit circumstances).

Im not arguing that Maul shouldn't have lost to Ben Kenobi. But lets take your comparison of Ben Kenobi being a match for Vader. Old Maul was also a match for Ahsoka. So at the very least we could have expected an Ahsoka vs Vader level of battle.

Cant say I am. And shouldn't have to be, nor should I have to go through all the commentary, to get the gist of the fight.

I liked him for what he was in TPM. I didn't like that they brought him back in CW, nor did I like his portrayal. Anyway, being floored and dropping your weapon doesn't mean you're defetead. Obi-Wan floored and disarmed Anakin in RotS but that wasn't even close to the end of the fight. If that pit wasn't there who knows what would have happened. Obi-Wan was fighting pretty evenly against Maul until then. I called him a Padawan to point out he was more than a decade away from his prime.

Maul was not fighting evenly against Jinn and Kenobi. They were pushing him back. He split them up because they were dangerous together.

He held his own in a saber duel with him and Savage, even managing to maim the latter. I'd say that means Kenobi was begining to eclipse Maul as a duelist.

I never said Ben was a match for Vader, only that he held his own. The comparisons to Ahsoha are meaningless because we don't know what exactly happened between her and Maul.

It's more about the style. There's nothing specific to get. They just wanted to do a Seven Samurai style fight instead of another long, drawn out fight. I found it refreshing.

steverules_2
Originally posted by Robtard
Oh, shit. You are correct. Typo'd

ps Never correct me again, you are not my father!

I am your father! Together we can rule the galaxy as father and son!

-Pr-
Originally posted by XanatosForever
LRXm2zFAmwc

Sorry, I couldn't resist. It's such a good line.

laughing out loud

Hey, to be fair, he did say they were going to "spring the trap". So I'm going to assume he expected something like this to happen.

Thats fine, but as explained above, should at least be an Ahsoka vs Vader level fight.

The only reason it wasn't was because (according to Witer), Maul underestimated how good Ben Kenobi was at this point.

Actually according to Witwer Kenobi suckered him in to it. When he kept changing stances his last stance was Qui-Gon's stance. And thats when Maul jumps at him.

I thought it was better than Ahsoka v Vader, tbh. I mean, I get that you wanted the fight to go on longer, but I don't see the point of it.

SquallX

Agreed with most of your stance, but wholeheartedly disagree with the Ashoka vs Vader fight.

Ahsoka should have died in that encounter, the fact that she survived against a newly full of rage and hate Vader was stupid.

Psychotron
As if Filoni would ever kill his waifu.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by SquallX
Agreed with most of your stance, but wholeheartedly disagree with the Ashoka vs Vader fight.

Ahsoka should have died in that encounter, the fact that she survived against a newly full of rage and hate Vader was stupid.

Bingo. And thats been the issue with Rebels. Filoni plays favourites.

Her surviving past the OT is outright stupid as well.

Darth Thor

I thought it was better than Ahsoka v Vader, tbh.

Well thats fair enough. It clearly just worked for you then.

I think it would have worked better for me if Maul was absolutely wrecking everyone else in Rebels before this fight happened.

But instead we had that embarrassing Kanan moment (another example of Filoni playing favourites), which just makes Maul seem more like a doofus at this point in time, than it makes Kenobi seem like an elite.

You're just mad because first Obi sodomized your Ani and now did the same thing to Maul smile

Damn you know me too well.

StiltmanFTW
wink

Darth Thor
I liked him for what he was in TPM. I didn't like that they brought him back in CW, nor did I like his portrayal. Anyway, being floored and dropping your weapon doesn't mean you're defetead. Obi-Wan floored and disarmed Anakin in RotS but that wasn't even close to the end of the fight. If that pit wasn't there who knows what would have happened. Obi-Wan was fighting pretty evenly against Maul until then. I called him a Padawan to point out he was more than a decade away from his prime.

Maul was not fighting evenly against Jinn and Kenobi. They were pushing him back. He split them up because they were dangerous together.

He held his own in a saber duel with him and Savage, even managing to maim the latter. I'd say that means Kenobi was begining to eclipse Maul as a duelist.

I never said Ben was a match for Vader, only that he held his own. The comparisons to Ahsoha are meaningless because we don't know what exactly happened between her and Maul.

It's more about the style. There's nothing specific to get. They just wanted to do a Seven Samurai style fight instead of another long, drawn out fight. I found it refreshing.

I could easily address all this point by point but its best left for the debates forum. We are discussing best lightsaber fights here.

But if I was to take your interpretation of the fights, then basically what you're saying is "Maul was comparatively pretty shit from day 1, so him going down in 2 moves was a fitting end".

So I will just say this: Maul located Kenobi, and could have just blown him up with his ship or something. Or hired a bunch of bounty hunters to take him out together.

However he seemed pretty confident he could take out Kenobi on his own in a lightsaber duel, or that he at least had a decent shot at taking him... Which to me would indicate their previous fights were not as one sided as you are making out.

That's fine. Like I told Pr, would have been much more effective for me personally by Bigging Maul up more during the series. Like having him shown as the clear superior to Ahsoka/Kanan. Having the Rebels crew continuously crap their pants from him. Then it would have worked IMO.

Otherwise as a Maul fan, ill tell you it seems like once Lucas was gone and the reigns taken off Filoni, he just began crapping on the character.

When a favourite of yours goes down in 2 moves, after hes already been crapped on, then you'll understand.

Either way, there was nothing to the fight anyway to name it as one of the great all time Star Wars duels IMHO. Although I admit the dialogue before and after the fight was good.

John Murdoch
Anakin vs Obi-Wan in ROTS might be my all-time favorite fight scene period any movie ever.

After that, Dooku vs Anakin & Obi-Wan, Emperor vs Windu, and Luke vs Vader rounds 1 and 2.

Psychotron
I could easily address all this point by point but its best left for the debates forum. We are discussing best lightsaber fights here.

But if I was to take your interpretation of the fights, then basically what you're saying is "Maul was comparatively pretty shit from day 1, so him going down in 2 moves was a fitting end".

So I will just say this: Maul located Kenobi, and could have just blown him up with his ship or something. Or hired a bunch of bounty hunters to take him out together.

However he seemed pretty confident he could take out Kenobi on his own in a lightsaber duel, or that he at least had a decent shot at taking him... Which to me would indicate their previous fights were not as one sided as you are making out.

That's fine. Like I told Pr, would have been much more effective for me personally by Bigging Maul up more during the series. Like having him shown as the clear superior to Ahsoka/Kanan. Having the Rebels crew continuously crap their pants from him. Then it would have worked IMO.

Otherwise as a Maul fan, ill tell you it seems like once Lucas was gone and the reigns taken off Filoni, he just began crapping on the character.

When a favourite of yours goes down in 2 moves, after hes already been crapped on, then you'll understand.

Either way, there was nothing to the fight anyway to name it as one of the great all time Star Wars duels IMHO. Although I admit the dialogue before and after the fight was good.

Who said he was shit? He did kill Qui-Gon after all. I just think Obi-Wan is that good.

Bad guys being overconfident is nothing new. He wanted to kill him with his own hands blah blah blah.

My favorite got crapped on pretty hard in TLJ, thanks. And I felt bringing back Maul was stupid anyway.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.