RoS - Visual Dictionary

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Galan007
A few interesting tidbits...

*It does seem to make the distinction that Snoke was independent from Palpatine to an extent, but was still, obviously, a puppet:
"Snoke has tested Kylo Ren's worthiness as a disciple, and unbeknownst to all, his capacity to inherit the Sith legacy. Snoke is no Sith, but his role has been designed by the Sith Eternal cultists to act as a final crucible, to groom and mold Kylo Ren into a master not only of attack, but also cunning."

*It mentions multiple times that Palpatine(as we know him) was in fact killed at the battle of Endor, and implies that he was resurrected by the Sith loyalists through "a mixture of technology and the occult." Palpatine himself was not given his own entry in this, however.

*It mentions a few ancient Sith worlds, including:
-Moraband/Korriban
-Malachor
-Ziost
-Jaguada
-Rhelg

*It mentions a few ancient Sith Lords, including:
-Revan
-Andeddu
-Tanis
-Tenebrous
-Phobos
-Desolous

*It mentions a few factoids from the ancient Jedi texts(written by Jedi Master Odan-Urr), which describe the "Chain Worlds Theorem", also known as The World Between Worlds, or Vergence Scatter. Has a "Phases of Mortis" solution, which solves Master Thorpe's "unsolvable" Hyperspace plotting conundrum. Etc.

I'm sure there's more I'll come across, but that's what stood out after my first skim through...

Psychotron
So Ziost and Revan are canon again? I guess a KOTOR trilogy is inevitable now. Can't wait to see how they'll ruin it.

Zenwolf
They really can't just come up with anything new can they? I mean sure, I guess they're banking on nostalgia...though with how everything else has turned out thus far, I doubt that's gonna ride for very long.

Probably would have been better off of just making new characters and locations, either way they would be blank slates, so it's not like anything is gonna be the same other than names.

I really can't see them matching Kotor storyline or character wise...I don't know why people keep asking for some live action movie series about it...

Psychotron
I wonder if they're going to make Revan a woman, or if Bastila is going to be changed from a gifted, but brash, arrogant, easily corruptable padawan to Rey 2.0. Maybe Bastilla will solo Malak and give Revan slap on the bum in the Disney version.

juggernaut74
I really like these Visual Guides as I have I think all of them. I ordered my Rise of Skywalker one on Amazon this morning.

The have a lot of neat info not found anywhere else.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Psychotron
So Ziost and Revan are canon again? I guess a KOTOR trilogy is inevitable now. Can't wait to see how they'll ruin it.

Whatever they do with them, they can never be a match for Prime Palpatine. He had ALL of Their Power

Galan007
I was just surprised by the amount of Legends material it canonized... And it also mentions events from Vader Immortal, and Battlefront II.

Very strange for a Visual Dictionary. ..

xPRIMEx
Interesting. Thanks for sharing

xPRIMEx

xPRIMEx
*Reeves

Total Warrior

Psychotron
No way. Keanu is great but he's too old. Revan is supposed to be 38 during the events of KOTOR. Keanu is 55.

juggernaut74
Originally posted by Galan007
I was just surprised by the amount of Legends material it canonized... And it also mentions events from Vader Immortal, and Battlefront II.

Very strange for a Visual Dictionary. .. I heard it says that the planetwith Kylo Ren invading at the beginning of he film is Mustafar

xPRIMEx

Total Warrior
^exactly ahahah, does he really look that older than when he performed as Neo?

xPRIMEx
Originally posted by juggernaut74
I heard it says that the planetwith Kylo Ren invading at the beginning of he film is Mustafar
Weird. It looked like Mustafar from space but didn't look like it at all on the surface

xPRIMEx
*It mentions multiple times that Palpatine(as we know him) was in fact killed at the battle of Endor, and implies that he was resurrected by the Sith loyalists through "a mixture of technology and the occult." Palpatine himself was not given his own entry in this, however.

That's kinda what I inferred from the movie. Nice to finally have an actual explanation though. Ridiculous that they had to explain it in a book

Total Warrior
Originally posted by xPRIMEx
That's kinda what I inferred from the movie. Nice to finally have an actual explanation though. Ridiculous that they had to explain it in a book yeah, they could have had palpy explain it in the movie. Guess they tried to keep it simple to not confuse the most casual fans

Galan007
I heard it says that the planetwith Kylo Ren invading at the beginning of he film is Mustafar Yep. It is Mustafar.

In fact, that first battle was supposed to be taking place on the grounds of Vader's Castle, as one Wayfinder was Vader's, and the other was(obviously) Palpatine's.

Galan007
Also, the entry for the Knights of Ren fleshes out every member(and their weaponry) quite a bit.

Also mentions that they would have been prime candidates for Inquisitors back in the Imperial days.

ares834
Oh man, the Knights of Ren are so cool and important! I love how they hyped them up for the past years. I can't wait to learn more!

xPRIMEx
Lol

juggernaut74
Also, the entry for the Knights of Ren fleshes out every member(and their weaponry) quite a bit.

Also mentions that they would have been prime candidates for Inquisitors back in the Imperial days. So basically the Knights of Ren were Jedi level because all of the Inquisitors were former Jedi Knights and even some were Jedi Masters.

They didn't seem very formidable to me though. I bet the Inquisitors would take them in a fight.

Total Warrior
I think most of Inquisitors were padawans, with the exception of the Grand Inquisitor who was a Temple Guard (so a Jedi Knight i guess?) and the other guy that windu defeated. Some guy said so on twitter

juggernaut74
The Tenth Bother was a former Jedi Master if I recall without looking so I'm not sure how he could be out ranked by Padawans.

Even if they were Padawans when they joined their talents most likely increased with being trained by Vader for years.

Psychotron
They'd beat the Knights just because they have lightsabers.

Galan007
So basically the Knights of Ren were Jedi level because all of the Inquisitors were former Jedi Knights and even some were Jedi Masters.

They didn't seem very formidable to me though. I bet the Inquisitors would take them in a fight. The implication seems to be that the KoR's force abilities(unpolished as they were) would have still made them sufficient stock for the Inquisitorius. So yeah, their powers are probably around that level.

The KoR's individual abilities are pretty odd, though. Vicrul, for example, grows more powerful every time he kills an opponent with his scythe... Highlander style. Weird stuff.

*Seems* like the Inquisitors might have an advantage, as it *seems* like their formalized training was more extensive than the KoR's(it's hard to top having Vader as your 'instructor')... The KoR's weaponry is also NOT lightsaber-proof, which would give the Inquisitors even more of an advantage, considering...you know...that they are all armed with lightsabers.

I'll wait until the Rise of Kylo Ren comic series has concluded to say for sure how they'd stack up next to the Inquisitors(I won't be surprised if the KoR rack up some decent feats in the comics)... But I am impressed that they were stomping a saberless 'forcegod' Kylo, though. /shrug

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Total Warrior
I think most of Inquisitors were padawans, with the exception of the Grand Inquisitor who was a Temple Guard (so a Jedi Knight i guess?) and the other guy that windu defeated. Some guy said so on twitter

Even IF they were Padawans when turned, training for 10+ years under Vader and the GI, theyd obviously be Knight level by that time.

Kanan reached Knight level just self training from time to time whilst in hiding and with no instructor.

Galan007
A few more things...

*The Luke/Leia flashback training session occurred 30 years before TFA -- so literally right after RotJ.

*Luke started training Ben as a Jedi 19 years before TFA, and Ben's betrayal occurred 6 years before TFA. So Ben was actually Luke's apprentice longer than I realized.

*RoS is only set 1 year after TFA.

*Rey learned the healing techniques she used in the movie from one of the ancient Jedi texts. She even used this knowledge to heal the broken kyber crystal in her lightsaber.

*I thought this line(also from the ancient texts) was interesting, because of the force bridge technique that Rey and Kylo used: "The Force is like a twisted ribbon lining the perimeter of all reality. Transit to any point across the cosmos is made possible by traversing this path through 'The Netherworld of Unbeing'."

juggernaut74
If Rey learned the healing technique from an ancient text how in the hell did Baby Yoda do it?

There is more to Baby Yoda than meets the eye for sure.

Total Warrior
Baby Yoda is just a natural talent

Darth Thor
If Rey learned the healing technique from an ancient text how in the hell did Baby Yoda do it?

He must have a Dyad with Luke

Galan007
It's pretty bad, but I feel like this guidebook is almost essential reading for anyone who is even remotely interested in connecting the dots in this film, or just overall character/world building.

Shouldn't be that way, but it definitely is...

juggernaut74
It's pretty bad, but I feel like this guidebook is almost essential reading for anyone who is even remotely interested in connecting the dots in this film, or just overall character/world building.

Shouldn't be that way, but it definitely is... Disney knows how to rob people for sure.

Galan007
They are definitely capitalizing on supplementary material... ermm

juggernaut74
Well I just got my copy from Amazon and skimmed through it.

I liked how they implemented a timeline showing what year stuff happened in. I also like they tell the age of alot of characters for example Lando is 78 years old and Luke was 53 when he died.

Galan007
thumb up

It is very helpful to get some answers on *when* this stuff took place... But they use "BSI" and "ASI" as the primary timeline reference now.

*Before Starkiller Incident, and After Starkiller Incident.

That took a bit of getting used to.

juggernaut74
Another tidbit:

Maz Kanata is 1,008 years old.

Total Warrior
thumb up

It is very helpful to get some answers on *when* this stuff took place... But they use "BSI" and "ASI" as the primary timeline reference now.

*Before Starkiller Incident, and After Starkiller Incident.

That took a bit of getting used to. Oh c'mon just leave BBY and ABY

ares834

juggernaut74
This book anwers a question I've had for years. I always wondered how Boba Fett and other Mandalorians were able to control their jetpack movements and buoyancy issues and this book kinda anwers it well sorta, it tell hows the Sith Jet Troopers armor works so I imagine Mandalorian armor works in a similar manner.

The armor uses body movement, muscle contractions, and eye positioning tracking to control thrust direction and power modulation.

Also the armor has Repulsor buoyanancy antiweights for stabilization.

Galan007

Total Warrior
but it doesn't make sense, the destructuon of the starkiller base wasn't an event nearly as relevant as the battle of Yavin. It's like as if in the real world, instead of choosing the date of birth of one the most influential person in human history as a mark to divide time, they chose my birthday. No one cares for Starkiller base, really

Galan007
I just realized that one of the geographical features listed on Exegol is called the "Sadow escarpment".

I'd assume that is a reference to Naga Sadow -- so he is possibly another ancient Sith Lord who has been canonized in this.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by ares834
Oh man, the Knights of Ren are so cool and important! I love how they hyped them up for the past years. I can't wait to learn more!

laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud

Underachiever59
Originally posted by Total Warrior
but it doesn't make sense, the destructuon of the starkiller base wasn't an event nearly as relevant as the battle of Yavin. It's like as if in the real world, instead of choosing the date of birth of one the most influential person in human history as a mark to divide time, they chose my birthday. No one cares for Starkiller base, really

I'd beg to differ. The Death Star blew up one planet, Alderaan, and damaged another, Jedha. Neither was a major key player in the galaxy. Starkiller Base blew up the capital of the Galactic Republic, wiping out most of the Republic's fleet and pretty much all of the government in one fell swoop. I'd say the Starkiller Incident had a much larger impact on the galaxy than the Battle of Yavin.

ares834
**** that shit. **** the sequels. **** Disney. And **** BSI/ASI.

Total Warrior

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Underachiever59
I'd beg to differ. The Death Star blew up one planet, Alderaan, and damaged another, Jedha. Neither was a major key player in the galaxy. Starkiller Base blew up the capital of the Galactic Republic, wiping out most of the Republic's fleet and pretty much all of the government in one fell swoop. I'd say the Starkiller Incident had a much larger impact on the galaxy than the Battle of Yavin.

Yeah Death Stars were shit. One planet at a time? Pfft.

Disney does everything bigger and better.

Total Warrior

Tzeentch
The changing of the year metric makes perfect sense when you consider that it was done for the same reason ABY/BBY exists in the first place.

Darth Thor
You guys need to let the past die. evil face

But Dont forget to Copy/Paste first.

Galan007
Originally posted by Underachiever59
I'd beg to differ. The Death Star blew up one planet, Alderaan, and damaged another, Jedha. Neither was a major key player in the galaxy. Starkiller Base blew up the capital of the Galactic Republic, wiping out most of the Republic's fleet and pretty much all of the government in one fell swoop. I'd say the Starkiller Incident had a much larger impact on the galaxy than the Battle of Yavin. Yeah, Starkiller Base struck FAR more of a blow to the Republic/galaxy than the Death Star(s) ever did. I mean, SKB wiping out the Hosnian system would be like the Death Star destroying Coruscant.

So adjusting the timescale to reflect the years before and after the "Starkiller Incident" does make sense from that perspective.

Darth Thor
Well yeah given it had to revamp the Galaxy back to where they were at the time of ANH.

ares834
It's stupid. The Battle of Yavin was chosen to keep things simple. It makes the original Star Wars movie year 0. It was chosen entirely for OOU reasons and that's fine. In universe, the Battle of Endor makes more sense than either of the two. As it is, BSI/ASI is just them shoving the sequels down our throats as well as adding confusion to an otherwise very simple thing. There is no reason to introduce a new calendar system that has worked for decades.

Tzeentch
It exists for literally the same reason ABY/BBY exists lol. The former timline was created to date Canon around a significantnt event. This is doing the same thing, a convenient way to frame events around the new major event.

If they made a show 5 years after RoS for example, why
would Disney date it as 44 ABY or whatever the **** instead of 6 AHC?

ares834
Sure. Why not? Like I said, adding a new dating system just confuses thing.

Tzeentch
1% of the fanbase is even aware of the lore timeline, people like you and I. And it doesn't confuse us because if you're autistic enough to be aware of ABY/BBY and AHC/BHC then you're autistic enough to understand the distinction.

Galan007
Also, when Rey and Kylo fight in close proximity(as they did against the Praetorian Guards in TLJ), their abilities "mirror and amplify each other... Strengthening their force bond with every passing moment."

mmm

Darth Thor
So that must be why she didnt need training to overpower him in TFA.

Zenwolf
Also, when Rey and Kylo fight in close proximity(as they did against the Praetorian Guards in TLJ), their abilities "mirror and amplify each other... Strengthening their force bond with every passing moment."

mmm

So in other words...plot. stick out tongue

No but really, it seems to me the more information and such is given out, the more I'm seeing as all this being very...basic and not exactly all this uber elite stuff people going on about.

Or well I guess in the overall scheme of things, I'm sure just from the movies it's obviously quite great.

Galan007
Originally posted by Darth Thor
So that must be why she didnt need training to overpower him in TFA. thumb up

Also explains her ability to mow down the Praetorian Guards(who were extremely well-trained in multiple disciplines) alongside Kylo, despite having NO lightsaber combat training whatsoever.

Aside from that, it seemingly puts an asterisk next to any showings where Rey and Kylo are fighting in the same vicinity as one another, as their individual abilities were being bolstered by presence of the other.

*This is the excerpt I'm referencing, for anyone interested:
https://i.imgur.com/CL2fztY.jpg

Zenwolf
Well at least that's explained...even if training would have probably been better, I mean the whole bond thing could still work, just could have thrown in training too.

Darth Thor

Aside from that, it seemingly puts an asterisk next to any showings where Rey and Kylo are fighting in the same vicinity as one another, as their individual abilities were being bolstered by presence of the other.

Ah like the ship grabbing and exploding feat.

Galan007
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Well at least that's explained...even if training would have probably been better, I mean the whole bond thing could still work, just could have thrown in training too. thumb up

There was no reason to have the entire ST take place so close together(TFA, TLJ, and RoS... They are all set in the same calendar year, ffs.) Space out the timeline a bit. Have Rey receive some proper Jedi training from Leia, the ghosts of Luke/Yoda/Kenobi, and the ancient texts, THEN tack on the bond/dyad concept.

Originally posted by Darth Thor
Ah like the ship grabbing and exploding feat. Possibly.

As mentioned, it's definitely worth giving all scenes where they are fighting in the same vicinity a double-take. /shrug

Zenwolf

Galan007
Yeah, exactly.

I mean, maybe I'm interpreting the passage wrong, but that's what it sounds like to me... /shrug

Zenwolf
Well it would make sense with this whole.....Force Dyad thing...that and it seems it’s constantly noted that the two of them are each a half. Though given the whole thing with Ben, kinda wondering how it’s gonna go post movie.

Sheev
thumb up

Also explains her ability to mow down the Praetorian Guards(who were extremely well-trained in multiple disciplines) alongside Kylo, despite having NO lightsaber combat training whatsoever.

*This is the excerpt I'm referencing, for anyone interested:
https://i.imgur.com/CL2fztY.jpg This is from the ROS VD and not some other source right?

If so; most of Kylo and Reys notable feats from the movies are now suspect because most of them were done while they were in the same area as one another. Like Zenwolf said- now it's even harder to gauge their individual powers.

Galan007
Originally posted by Sheev
This is from the ROS VD and not some other source right? Yes.

Galan007
Thought I may as well put these excerpts in here for the lulz.

The VD confirms that the FO fleet was still just a fraction of what the Imperial fleet was at its height:
https://i.imgur.com/nJvhO0s.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/g2RRkKT.jpg

Galan007
I'm also curious if this was a known factoid in Legends or w/e?:
https://i.imgur.com/8D2LrMM.jpg
"Like the Imperial ships of the past, these new-generation Star Destroyers carry a miniaturized sun within the solar ionization reactor that bulges from their ventral hull distributing it to such intensive systems as hyperdrives and sublight propulsion."

Zenwolf
I'm also curious if this was a known factoid in Legends or w/e?:
https://i.imgur.com/8D2LrMM.jpg
"Like the Imperial ships of the past, these new-generation Star Destroyers carry a miniaturized sun within the solar ionization reactor that bulges from their ventral hull distributing it to such intensive systems as hyperdrives and sublight propulsion."

Yes that was a thing there too.

Galan007
Thanks Zen. thumb up

Eli Vanto
I'm confused. How did they create suns in the first place? If they had the ability to do that, then why did SKB need to absorb actual suns?

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Eli Vanto
I'm confused. How did they create suns in the first place? If they had the ability to do that, then why did SKB need to absorb actual suns?

Because it looked cool? No but really yeah, they could have just easily stored a giant reactor powerful enough to power the superweapon. I mean they clearly have an *** load of resources sooo...why not?

But then the FO isn't exactly high with competence....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.