Why do critics love TLJ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

xPRIMEx

xPRIMEx
This is the article I was reading btw:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2019/12/25/rise-of-skywalker-tops-500m-star-wars-movies-ranked-from-worst-to-best/amp/

They ranked TLJ as the best Star Wars movie of all time.... give me a break. This author is ****ing high

ares834
Critics loved it for the non-conventional storytelling. This is pretty much why fans loathed it. They wanted a Star Wars film, Star Wars is at its core the most fundamental story of all as well as full of tropes, and TLJ was not a SW film.

NemeBro
Originally posted by ares834
Critics loved it for the non-conventional storytelling. This is pretty much why fans loathed it. They wanted a Star Wars film, Star Wars is at its core the most fundamental story of all as well as full of tropes, and TLJ was not a SW film. When you phrase it like that you just make it sound like Star Wars fans have shit taste. mmm

ares834
Well you go to a SW film you expect to see a SW film. Not a film that shits all over the fandom and ruins Luke Skywalker. And non-conventional does not necessarily mean good.

Lighter332

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Lighter332
1 reason - the critics are on Disney's payroll - they are paid to pretend the movie is good - that is the 1 and only reason!

That argument might have worked before TROS was Rotten on RT.

Its Actually the only Star Wars film to be Rotten on initial release.

TPM and TROS are the only Star Wars films which are rotten on period.

(Not including TCW film).

That said I do feel like critics gave TFA an easy time. Just completely let that film off on the fact that it completely imitated ANH. And it was starting off in that way that ultimately doomed this trilogy from day 1 Imo.

Total Warrior

Darth Thor
^ Lol @ Jar Jar Abrams. I love that name.

And no because some dumbass told Bob Iger that Everyone hates the Prequels they only concentrated on the OT. And because in the OT Luke doesnt get that much formal training, so they obviously got from that the idea that training isnt that important.

Its only later when the fans started questioning the stupidity of TFA that they brought in more Prequel references and tried to justify Rey as a special case for not needing much training.

StiltmanFTW

Lord Lucien
What's worse, The Last Jedi or 1994's 'North'?

Sith Master X
The Last Jedi is a terrible middle act Star Wars film. It's actually a decent picture on it's own merits....but alas, this movie can't stand on it's own merits. It's the film that bridges the first movie to the 3rd, and it didn't excel at that.

However.....critics like the movie because it's layered. It had a message, and the writing was competent. Love it or hate it, it was the best written of the ST. It's biggest mistake is that the film ended the way it started, and there was no sense of threat by the end.

As I said, a good film on its own. Not a good middle act.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by Sith Master X
The Last Jedi is a terrible middle act Star Wars film. It's actually a decent picture on it's own merits....but alas, this movie can't stand on it's own merits. It's the film that bridges the first movie to the 3rd, and it didn't excel at that.

However.....critics like the movie because it's layered. It had a message, and the writing was competent. Love it or hate it, it was the best written of the ST. It's biggest mistake is that the film ended the way it started, and there was no sense of threat by the end.

As I said, a good film on its own. Not a good middle act. I agree 100%

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.