Messiah (Netflix)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BrolyBlack
Great show

dadudemon
I'll take a look, then. I just passed it up on my suggested list.

Robtard
A CIA officer investigates a charismatic figure whose followers believe he can perform miracles; he may be a divine entity or a dangerous con artist. -snip

I'll watch the first one and go from there.

BruceSkywalker
who is in this

carthage
Loved it

**** the critics

cdtm
Originally posted by carthage
Loved it

**** the critics

No wonder, a lot of professional critics are "freedom from religion" types, and would reflexively recoil at even a hint of pro religious iconography.

Such as this obvious homage promoting Jesus as anything other then a mockery.

Robtard
Started out good with the first ep, but it's dipping with each episode. Overall still decent.

The most interesting part is the portrayal of how quickly desperate and/or simple-minded people fall for a charismatic or cult-like figurehead, abandoning logic and reason with a quickness in order to feel like they're part of something larger than themselves.

cdtm
Originally posted by Robtard
Started out good with the first ep, but it's dipping with each episode. Overall still decent.

The most interesting part is the portrayal of how quickly desperate and/or simple-minded people fall for a charismatic or cult-like figurehead, abandoning logic and reason with a quickness in order to feel like they're part of something larger than themselves.

So it is anti religion after all.

Figures. No idea why critics would pan it then. Maybe they don't respect the guy making it, like they panned Seth MacFarlane's Orville simply because it was made by Seth?

Robtard
Not really anti-religion, really depends how you look at it.

It's more about the cult-of-personality and apotheosis phenomenon. I think how people react to the "The Messiah" is as, or arguably even more important to the story than the character himself.

There's also the question of is this person a hoax or not, seems more like he is, but it's not 100% as some things can't be explained away so easily.

BrolyBlack

BrolyBlack

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.