Another Life

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dadudemon
I am 3 episodes in.

Give it a 7 out of 10.

It's a great show. Absolutely terrible at times. But among the best of the best that Sci-Fi has to offer in that rare moment.

It combines Alien (not Aliens), Star Trek, 2001 Space Odyssey, and The Expanse: all rolled into one show.

It got terrible critic reviews but a decent audience score. It has a cult following already and was renewed for a Season 2.

Some of the science they get wrong and they get it wrong badly. And it actually ruins the experience. The writers could have spent just a tiny bit more time researching to create their plot and plot resolution stuff. I wish they would have done that, really. And the acting leaves something to be desired at times. Other times, they really nail it.

If you like Star Trek and The Expanse, definitely watch this. Also, they have a diverse cast but for the first time, a Netflix show does not get in your face about it. This is the way to do diversity in a Netflix show, IMO.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/10/30/netflix-renews-another-life-second-season/

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by dadudemon
Some of the science they get wrong and they get it wrong badly. And it actually ruins the experience. The writers could have spent just a tiny bit more time researching to create their plot and plot resolution stuff. I wish they would have done that, really. And the acting leaves something to be desired at times. Other times, they really nail it.

This part sounds like most CW DC shows.

I've seen this show listed, but have never bothered watching it. Might check it out. After multiple seasons of hearing the Flash make such statements as "Mach 50 isn't a real thing" I can tune out the stupid for the most part.

dadudemon
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
This part sounds like most CW DC shows.

I've seen this show listed, but have never bothered watching it. Might check it out. After multiple seasons of hearing the Flash make such statements as "Mach 50 isn't a real thing" I can tune out the stupid for the most part.

My problem is, they only needed to do a tiny bit of research, adjust the dialogue and plot JUST A TINY BIT, to not appear to be idiots. It's just a bit of effort. Seriously, most of the time, it's only 10 minutes of research. Before the writers go to their writing session, or even in their writing session, they can just look up the sciencey stuff in the writers room. It's not hard.

It's as if they are going out of their way to be stupid.

Whereas, with The Expanse, they went out of their way to get the science stuff right.

dadudemon
Got through the whole show.

Has some SJW cringe a bit further in that Netflix loves to put in their shows. I didn't think it would be like that but it happened.

Also, I am shocked at how unhinged all the characters in the show are. They seem to all be emotionally unstable and irrational. Even the AI computer - which should be better at this - is emotionally unstable and irrational at times. They would have seen much better people on this mission than they did. Also, if it is that far in the future (feels like 2070-2150 time period), they'd have much better treatment options for things like Leukemia.

Also, they create plot holes for themselves by having a computer that can record literally any action, in full 3D, on any point of the ship.

I like it that they have planet busting technology. If you can create FTL drives, you have enough energy to reach gravitational binding energy levels. It's great that they explored that. Also, the sleep chambers for long space flight is more realistic, too.

I feel like this show could do MUCH better with better writers. They got class b or class c writers for a concept that is Class S.

TheVaultDweller
I've been having a look at watching this (finishing up Messiah first), but not going to lie. Your review so far does not make it sound all that appealing.

And that is also a bit of an issue nowadays. Lots of media companies, both in news and entertainment, care more about a person's politics and social views than their talent. I chalk it up to the general rise in tribalistic behaviour among people in the Western world, but it can become annoying. Because it means these things inevitably bleed into areas you don't really want it to.

Because, to me, it's kind of better to have something that is just awful through and through. Because you know it was always going to suck. But when something had the opportunity to be good, you have the wasted potential and missed opportunity element to it as well. At least you can watch the other stuff ironically.

Robtard
Watched 3eps (or maybe 4, forget), but I'm not feeling it. There's parts I do like, but the bad is REALLY bad.

The premise of "oh shit, we're in trouble and about to die unless we do something" of every episode gets stale very quick and some/many of the characters are cringe-level annoying. eg the Latina who's ALWAYS angry, bitchy and snapping.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.