Difference between force projection and force ghost?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Eli Vanto
Read on here that Luke created his force projection in TLJ by dumping his living force into the cosmic force, which is also why it killed him.

To me that sounds almost identical to a force ghost, so is there any real difference between them aside from the obvious (one is dead and one isn't)??

Sheev
They sound very similar for sure. Not sure what they difference would be.

But if they're relatively similar, does that mean Luke's projection could have also affected the material world around him? Used the force, fought with a lightsaber, etc?

Zenwolf
I thought it was more similar to the Doppleganger technique than Force Ghost.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Zenwolf
I thought it was more similar to the Doppleganger technique than Force Ghost.

Rian the Midget posted on twitter that it was that ability (or at least inspired by it), yes.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Rian the Midget posted on twitter that it was that ability (or at least inspired by it), yes.

Well then, there ya go.

Galan007
Originally posted by Eli Vanto
Read on here that Luke created his force projection in TLJ by dumping his living force into the cosmic force, which is also why it killed him. Yes. This is stated in the RoS VD:
https://i.imgur.com/pnt0ioN.jpg

I thought it was more similar to the Doppleganger technique than Force Ghost. Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Rian the Midget posted on twitter that it was that ability (or at least inspired by it), yes. Yep. thumb up

Also, the Doppleganger ability and Luke's projection technique were both called "Similfuturus" in the ancient days(see the excerpt I posted above.) So yeah, the former undoubtedly inspired the latter.

Difference is, Luke literally has to pour his own living force into the cosmic force to manifest the projection, which is...unique to say the least. So with that in mind, I agree that it reads like an amalgamation of the Doppleganger and force spirit techniques.

And given that Luke's projection already had 'solid' elements to it(he gripped Leia's hands, 3PO's optic sensors registered him actually being there, his cape/hair were flapping in the wind, and Kylo...who can very accurately sense presences in the force and apprenticed under Luke for YEARS...didn't realize that it wasn't actually Luke standing in front of him), I absolutely think his projection could have interacted with the physical world around it, much like his force ghost in RoS... IF Luke would have chosen to do so, of course. /shrug

StiltmanFTW
Well then, there ya go.

https://tinyurl.com/uzeqccu

Eli Vanto
Originally posted by Galan007
Yes. This is stated in the RoS VD:
https://i.imgur.com/pnt0ioN.jpg

Yep. thumb up

Also, the Doppleganger ability and Luke's projection technique were both called "Similfuturus" in the ancient days(see the excerpt I posted above.) So yeah, the former undoubtedly inspired the latter.

Difference is, Luke literally has to pour his own living force into the cosmic force to manifest the projection, which is...unique to say the least. So with that in mind, I agree that it reads like an amalgamation of the Doppleganger and force spirit techniques.

And given that Luke's projection already had 'solid' elements to it(he gripped Leia's hands, 3PO's optic sensors registered him actually being there, his cape/hair were flapping in the wind, and Kylo...who can very accurately sense presences in the force and apprenticed under Luke for YEARS...didn't realize that it wasn't actually Luke standing in front of him), I absolutely think his projection could have interacted with the physical world around it, much like his force ghost in RoS... IF Luke would have chosen to do so, of course. /shrug
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
https://tinyurl.com/uzeqccu

I'm not familiar with the doppleganger ability. I'm guessing it's more of a pure illusion and doesn't require living force to create?

And on that point; considering the projection ability requires Luke to use his own living force, doesn't that basically make it a death sentence anyway?

Galan007
Originally posted by Eli Vanto
And on that point; considering the projection ability requires Luke to use his own living force, doesn't that basically make it a death sentence anyway? I assume that is dependent on how long you use the ability, and how much living force you pour into it. /shrug

Zenwolf
I'm figuring it's more like Tien's Tri-beam from DBZ, it uses his literal life force, enabling him to slightly punch above his weight class.

A bit obvious it doesn't become as effective later on, but the principal seems to be the same that overusage of it, will end up killing him.

Galan007
thumb up

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.