Top 10 lightsaber duelists in canon?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Eli Vanto
Just looking for a reputable list for the top 10 CANON duelists.

Total Warrior

Eli Vanto
I'm talking about their skill as a swordsmen.

NewGuy01
Honestly, most of the Jedi masters are very good, and many of them are criminally underappreciated. Still, each of the Sith are extraordinary, and among the Jedi, Yoda, Mace, and Obi-Wan are also known to be particularly great swordsmen. In legends, if only bladework is being considered, then Anakin/Vader is pretty safely the best of the lot. Given what some of the canon materials say about Vader, that may well still be the case in canon.

If there must be ten, Luke, Ahsoka, and Quinlan are probably the most qualified feat-wise for the remaining three spots. It's not really clear though, at least to me, if their swordsmanship is actually more competent than the other Jedi masters'; Like TW said, there's more to being an effective Jedi fighter than just the martial arts skills. Someone like Cin Drallig might actually be more appropriate for this particular list.

Darth Thor
The order is difficult but would surely be these 10:

Yoda, Sidious, Luke, Mace, Vader, Dooku, Kenobi, Vos, Maul, Ahsoka.

Issues:

Luke is particularly hard one to place. But hes surely on the list. Do Anakin and Vader get 2 positions or 1?

Vos, Maul and Ahsoka will be the bottom 3 of this elite list, but impossible to know how they rank amongst themselves.

Bentley
Luke defeated arguably the best duelist of the series in single combat so he should be top 3 at least

Psychotron
Originally posted by Bentley
Luke defeated arguably the best duelist of the series in single combat so he should be top 3 at least

Who? You don't mean Vader, right? Because Anakin > Vader in pure lightsaber dueling.

Galan007
Originally posted by Total Warrior
-Fisto (?? Disarmed grevious after all) Fisto has some great accolades.

Mace stated that his skills with a lightsaber were "unrivaled", and Luke stated that he was "one of the finest duelists to ever grace the Jedi Order."

The problem is that Fisto lacks heavily in quantifiable feats, while most of the others mentioned do not.

Bentley
Originally posted by Psychotron
Who? You don't mean Vader, right? Because Anakin > Vader in pure lightsaber dueling.

Vader still held his own in a pure Saber combat vs Old Man Kenobi. There is a chance he had the time to seal the gap between his uncomfortable body and his saber skills by the time he fought Luke

StiltmanFTW
https://tinyurl.com/wersakb

When I left you, I was but the learner. Now I am the master.

xPRIMEx
Yep Vader>Anakin in canon

Psychotron
Originally posted by xPRIMEx
Yep Vader>Anakin in canon

Overall, yeah. Not in pure dueling. Vader hasn't done anything as impressive as wrecking Dooku.

Vader still held his own in a pure Saber combat vs Old Man Kenobi. There is a chance he had the time to seal the gap between his uncomfortable body and his saber skills by the time he fought Luke

It's funny how everyone said Old Ben was rusty and out of practice in ANH, but after beating Maul he has been elevated to the top tier. I still think ROTS Anakin would beat Ben, however.

Darth Thor

It's funny how everyone said Old Ben was rusty and out of practice in ANH, but after beating Maul he has been elevated to the top tier. I still think ROTS Anakin would beat Ben, however.

ROTS Anakin is in the top 2 or 3 elites. So yeah he would.

That said, Vader looked like he was also going to win, albeit slowly.

Bentley
Arguably there is no feat in canon higher than beating Dooku with sabers except maybe beating the man who beat Dooku. Luke and Kenobi defeated Vader so they are locked in as top tiers.

I guess Sheev did make a short work of (mostly lip-serviced) Fisto in pure sabers?

StiltmanFTW
Ani's victory over Dooku was horribly written, Lucas at his worst.

Galan007
Yoda effectively bested Palpatine in sabers(confirmed in the RotS script), so he's still at the top.

But yeah, RotJ Luke is right up there as well, as he was =/> Vader in sabers.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Ani's victory over Dooku was horribly written, Lucas at his worst.

What are you talking about? That was a great scene.

Barron-Ghidorah

juggernaut74
Yoda, Windu, and Dooku should be at the top while Sheev is good I think his speed helps him in saber combat but I could be mistaken but he's still in the top category for sure.

I just finished Dooku: Jedi Lost and Dooku has a lot of lip service accolades such as consistently being the top of the saber class since he started training and being called the best student the Jedi lightsaber trainer has ever had(can't remember the Jedi's name). Yoda also took Dooku as a padawan to the surprise of the Jedi Council which apparently it's been quite some time since Grand Master Yoda took a padawan.

As far as feats from the book go Dooku while drinking a glass of wine was fighting Ventress and according to Ventress Dooku didn't even spill his wine.

And a very young Dooku 13 I believe and before he was a Padawan still training in groups was able to apparently make a Jedi Master work hard to defend herself from Dooku's attack. Her voice sounded as she was struggling from Dooku's onslaught.

NewGuy01
Originally posted by juggernaut74
Yoda, Windu, and Dooku should be at the top while Sheev is good I think his speed helps him in saber combat but I could be mistaken but he's still in the top category for sure.
Yeah, you are mistaken. He's arguably the most skilled of those four.

Psychotron
Arguably there is no feat in canon higher than beating Dooku with sabers except maybe beating the man who beat Dooku. Luke and Kenobi defeated Vader so they are locked in as top tiers.

I guess Sheev did make a short work of (mostly lip-serviced) Fisto in pure sabers?

The Anakin that lost to Obi-Wan and the Anakin that beat Dooku may as well be two different people.

Darth Thor
The Anakin that lost to Obi-Wan and the Anakin that beat Dooku may as well be two different people.

To an extent. But Obi would always put up a better fight against Anakin than Dooku having 1)instructed him and 2)having mastered the form best suited to tackle him

Though I agree Obi-Wan would lose to Anakin at the beginning of ROTS. But I also doubt Dooku would beat Anakin on Mustafa.

Psychotron
I think Dooku could win that duel if Anakin was in the same emotional state as he was when fighting Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan stalemated him in a Force contest, so Dooku should be able to beat him with the Force.

juggernaut74
I think Dooku could win that duel if Anakin was in the same emotional state as he was when fighting Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan stalemated him in a Force contest, so Dooku should be able to beat him with the Force. I don't think Anakin was in his right mind in his fight with Kenobi but it's speculation.

Darth Thor
I think Dooku could win that duel if Anakin was in the same emotional state as he was when fighting Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan stalemated him in a Force contest, so Dooku should be able to beat him with the Force.

That force push stalemate was always weird.

That said in all of their fights in TCW, Dooku did push Anakin around quite a bit with the Force, but never anything decisive enough to give him the win. And I doubt Mustafa Anakin was < TCW S4 Anakin. Certainly not < TCW Movie Anakin.

So just seems either due to physicality or good natural force defences, that Anakin can take Dookus Force attacks better than Obi-Wan.

Dont get me wrong, would likely be a good fight, but I think in the end stamina would be Dookus downfall.

relentless1
Sidious = Yoda
Mace
Anakin
Dooku
Obi Wan
Luke
Vader
Old Ben
Maul

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.