KOTOR remake rumored to be in development

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Eli Vanto
Apparently EA might be remaking KOTOR in order to "integrate elements from the first two games in order to bring certain things into the current Star Wars canon."

https://www.ign.com/articles/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-remake-rumored-to-be-in-development-at-ea

Revan and Malak being formally canon is imminent.thumb up

Psychotron
Disney and EA working together on a new KOTOR. God only knows the horrors that await us.

Zenwolf
I'd rather not....make something new.

Galan007
Revan is already a canon ancient Sith Lord(confirmed in the RoS VD, along with several others):

https://i.imgur.com/N3LflgA.jpg

They're probably just revamping the game to fully solidify him as a canon character in preparation for a KotOR-era movie or somesuch(which has also been rumored for a while.)

srug

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Zenwolf
I'd rather not....make something new.

I mean its hard for Disney to just ignore such a big part of Star Wars legends history with a large fanbase. Theyd have to incorporate it into canon at some point.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Darth Thor
I mean its hard for Disney to just ignore such a big part of Star Wars legends history with a large fanbase. Theyd have to incorporate it into canon at some point.

Yeeeah.....I just hope it's not gonna be beat for beat, that's what kinda bothers me. Cause then it's just..."why de-canonize everything if all you're gonna do is bring it back anyway?"

I mean the Mandalorians are certainly different and that's fine, their history all that fine, go for it. Just have it be different, rather than just tear out the page and slap it into another book and say DONE!

Eli Vanto
I'll be totally fine if they do an identical backstory for Revan. It's one of the best in Legends, so it would be awesome if it were canon.

Darth Thor
Yeeeah.....I just hope it's not gonna be beat for beat, that's what kinda bothers me. Cause then it's just..."why de-canonize everything if all you're gonna do is bring it back anyway?"

I mean the Mandalorians are certainly different and that's fine, their history all that fine, go for it. Just have it be different, rather than just tear out the page and slap it into another book and say DONE!

Because canon would be too convoluted if they took out everything post ROTJ but included everything pre-TPM. It all had to go (sans the Lucas canon stuff obviously), then slowly bits can be put back in as appropriate. I honestly never had an issue with that, and it is much better now that everything new they make whether its a comic, novel or video game, is canon.

The old system of C-canon for that stuff was kinda meaningless when Lucas would mostly ignore and contradict it.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Because canon would be too convoluted if they took out everything post ROTJ but included everything pre-TPM. It all had to go (sans the Lucas canon stuff obviously), then slowly bits can be put back in as appropriate. I honestly never had an issue with that, and it is much better now that everything new they make whether its a comic, novel or video game, is canon.

The old system of C-canon for that stuff was kinda meaningless when Lucas would mostly ignore and contradict it.

It was fine though until TCW came, before Lucas didn't have much a hand, just the 6 movies he made.

But it's not as if currently things don't have their own problems. But that's another discussion, still as long as its good, then fair enough for this remake, just have some differences with it too to not make it feel like a retread of what we already have.

Darth Thor
It was fine though until TCW came, before Lucas didn't have much a hand, just the 6 movies he made.

But it's not as if currently things don't have their own problems. But that's another discussion, still as long as its good, then fair enough for this remake, just have some differences with it too to not make it feel like a retread of what we already have.

Oh im hardly praising Disneys handing of the franchise lol

I just agree scrapping Legends had to be done. They couldnt have made sequels, and when Lucas himself didnt adhere to Legends then how could they? But at least they were being upfront about it, and have made a genuine attempt from the top to make all the new stuff align.

In terms of how they should go about making new material, I think they should be like Marvel using Legends as their source material.

Galan007
Yeah, I agree that Legends(as it was) could not have been part of the new canon system that Disney was aiming to create -- trying to keep all of that material canon would have been a MASSIVE clusterf*ck, and actually limited the direction they took certain characters/stories.

It made a lot more sense to start with a blank slate, and gradually bring bits of Legends continuity into canon as the mythos grew and the stories were right.

ares834
I'd be down for a remake. But it better be a remake and not include a ton of changes to the story as they attempt to fit it into the new "canon".

Galan007
The good thing is that new canon hasn't explored this era at all, so they could literally carbon copy KotOR into current continuity if they wanted to.

Zentrex
ugh.

I don't understand why they keep doing this. They have a fantastic opportunity to do something that hasn't been done before, but they just keep telling the same stories over and over.

And I just don't understand this craze to get things "into the official canon."
Who cares if it's "official canon" or not? It's still a game. You can still go and play it. You can still read the stories from Legends that connect to it. You can still think of it as a part of a connected, non-self-contradicting universe.
Why does it matter to so many people if that universe is called "canon" or not?

And you know what, if you really want to make new Revan and Malak stories, then just print them under the Legends banner. They released new Old Republic short stories on the website well into 2015, iirc. And the Marvel Star Wars #108.

I'll agree with Zenwolf, I loved how they did something different with the Mandalorians, but then they only did it because of TCW. They should do it more often. I honest to god rolled my eyes while reading "Tarkin" because Luceno brought back all his Plagueis stuff into the canon. They missed a huge opportunity to make something new there.

I know I'm ranting incessantly, and I get that a lot of people like it when they make the Legends stuff canon, and you can't please everyone. But if I was an executive at Disney in 2014, and I had to make room for the Sequel Trilogy, I would have simply marketed it the same way as the 2013 Brian Woods Star Wars comics. Not part of the EU (so you don't have to read any of the books!), but continues the Star Wars Saga in a new and contained, well-planned direction.
And there you go, you wouldn't have people complaining about Legends being declared "non-canon", you wouldn't have casual fans confused about what is and isn't canon, you wouldn't have authors trying to bring their creations back into canon so they can tell their stories again, and you wouldn't have a confused and contradictory continuity that's trying to please everyone but realistically can't.

Rant Over

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.