Could Maul use force lighting? Did he ever use it in canon series ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ozz81
What reckon of the above ?
I read briefly somewhere that Maul could use lightening but chose never to was that true ?

Zenwolf
It's from the EP 1 video game, though given this is pretty much the only time it appears and never really brought up again, it's probably just something thrown in to make the game more challenging for the player. But even taking that, I doubt it was really powerful, so he probably felt it wasn't worth it.

I mean really any Dark Force User can use Lighting, it certainly isn't something unique or rare. But for Maul's case, it's probably just not worth it for him.

....Now if you're talking about the Current Canon. Then no, Maul has not shown the use of Force Lighting.

Galan007
Canon Maul has never manifested any variation of FL.

No 'official' reason was ever given as to why. In my opinion he should have been able to use FL by Rebels if nothing else, but alas...

YousufKhan1212
Maul can use Force Lightning, but doesn't because the story doesn't allow him to have the common sense to use it. The in universe explanation that we are given is that it's not his preferred method of fighting, but that he likes dominating opponents in close quarters. I guess another factor that stops Maul from using it is because he thinks unleashing Force Lightning expends an undesirable amount of his Force reserves.

Eli Vanto
Originally posted by YousufKhan1212
The in universe explanation that we are given is that it's not his preferred method of fighting, but that he likes dominating opponents in close quarters. Is that just Legends, or canon also?

YousufKhan1212
Originally posted by Eli Vanto
Is that just Legends, or canon also?

Legends

Darth Thor
He doesnt use Force Lightning because he never got to that stage of his training with Palpatine. Simple.

And I think the fact that he never shoots it is meant to represent this guy was always limited in his dark side mastery, and never reached his potential.

Yet was still one of the deadliest Sith in the history of the Order stick out tongue

StiltmanFTW
He never shot it, but he was pretty resistant to it in Legends.

juggernaut74
Originally posted by Darth Thor
He doesnt use Force Lightning because he never got to that stage of his training with Palpatine. Simple.
Pretty much. I recall reading somewhere a few years back that using Force Lightning is an advanced technique used by the Sith.

Dooku being a smart as he was he probably learned it himself.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by juggernaut74
Pretty much. I recall reading somewhere a few years back that using Force Lightning is an advanced technique used by the Sith.

Which is kinda debunked by even random Dark Jedi and Dark Adepts being able to use FL.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Which is kinda debunked by even random Dark Jedi and Dark Adepts being able to use FL.

In Legends yeah. In Legends theres no good reason for Maul not having the ability.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by juggernaut74

He was probably taught something by Palpatine.

Galan007
^ Not sure about Legends, but canon Dooku was using FL behind the scenes when he was still a Jedi and Qui-Gon was just a Padawan.

Psychotron
And Rey can use it on accident.

CaveDude33211
Originally posted by Galan007
^ Not sure about Legends, but canon Dooku was using FL behind the scenes when he was still a Jedi and Qui-Gon was just a Padawan.

Is that in one of the Disney books?

Zentrex
"Dooku - Lost Jedi," surely. The audiobook.

relentless1
Maul can't use FL because he was meant to be an assassin, not a true Lord by any means

Galan007
Originally posted by CaveDude33211
Is that in one of the Disney books? Master & Apprentice.

Zentrex
Master & Apprentice.
Dammit! And I was even about to say "Or it could be from Master and Apprentice, who knows." and deleted it because I was sure it'd be from the audiobook.
:/

Darth Thor

Well thats interesting.

Doesnt seem like he was taught much by Palpatine then.

Galan007
Originally posted by Zentrex
Dammit! And I was even about to say "Or it could be from Master and Apprentice, who knows." and deleted it because I was sure it'd be from the audiobook.
:/ laughing out loud

Yeah, M&A goes further down the rabbit hole than I expected in that regard. It's actually a really good read, imo.

Originally posted by Darth Thor
Well thats interesting.

Doesnt seem like he was taught much by Palpatine then. Here's the excerpt:

And that scene took place when Qui-Gon was only 14 years old. So Dooku had literally been conjuring FL for decadeS before he was ever Palpatine's apprentice. He just kept it hidden from the Council.

StiltmanFTW
So, much like Saruman... tempted by and dabbling in the dark arts way before he officially left the side of the angels...

Played by the same actor, too stick out tongue

Galan007
thumb up

M&A and Jedi Lost really delve into Dooku's character when he was still a Jedi. The guy was absolutely obsessed with "forbidden techniques" and ancient/esoteric knowledge. He studied that stuff for most of his tenure with the Order.

Zentrex
thumb up

M&A and Jedi Lost really delve into Dooku's character when he was still a Jedi. The guy was absolutely obsessed with "forbidden techniques" and ancient/esoteric knowledge. He studied that stuff for most of his tenure with the Order.

I'll be sure to check it out! happy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.