Can an R-Rated Star Wars movie work?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

robotflug
If Star Wars got an R-Rated movie, how would the fans react. is this something that can become a hit for the fanbase or would it flop and everyone would hate it?.

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by robotflug
If Star Wars got an R-Rated movie, how would the fans react. is this something that can become a hit for the fanbase or would it flop and everyone would hate it?.

I think it could, given the right storyline.

A Vader movie could do that (due to the violence the character has portrayed in the comics).

Dr Will Hatch
A dude is having sex with a Rodian and grabs what he thinks is a dildo but is actually a lightsaber. He sticks the lightsaber up the Rodian's ass and turns it on, accidentally killing him.

Putinbot1
If Daisy gets naked, sure! Fragrant!

riv6672
An R rating has nothing to do w. how good a movie is or isn't.

Kazenji
The story and the character's help too.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by riv6672
An R rating has nothing to do w. how good a movie is or isn't.

Well, yes and no. An R rating could potentially allow for more interesting themes and character flaws and make those themes more impactful and real. It could potentially make for a revitalization of Star Wars, which is needed badly (quite frankly, imo).

But I don't see it happening.

Surtur
I doubt it will happen, but of course it could work if you have the right actors and script. An R rated Thrawn trilogy would be nice if done right.

Adam Grimes
Of course. Any non-kids franchise can have a wonderful R-Rated movie.

It's just a matter of quality.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
Of course. Any non-kids franchise can have a wonderful R-Rated movie.

It's just a matter of quality. But Star Wars is a kids franchise. thumb up

Bashar Teg
that fact is unwelcome here

-Pr-

Could it work? Could it be successful? Sure.

Would Disney ever try it? I sincerely doubt it. We're 20-odd movies in to the MCU and not one of those was R-Rated. Maybe that will change now that the movies will be less connected, but who knows.

StiltmanFTW
Yeah, we can't even be sure that Deadpool 3 (or whatever they choose to call it) will be R-rated.

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Yeah, we can't even be sure that Deadpool 3 (or whatever they choose to call it) will be R-rated.

Marvel wouldn't be stupid enough to waste such a good storyline and movie concept (I hope)

Nemesis X

Disney is too much about playing safe to entertain the thought of an R rated movie so it wouldn't even exist. Giving Netflix the finger wasn't the only reason they canceled shows like Punisher and Daredevil. Not to mention rereleasing Deadpool 2 with a PG-13 rating.

But would an R rated Star Wars succeed? If it was a pure Sith movie, sure, definitely. That'd be awesome.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Josh_Alexander
Marvel wouldn't be stupid enough to waste such a good storyline and movie concept (I hope)

Marvel wouldn't.

But Disney could be.

-Pr-

There's a part of me that hopes that Reynolds won't do it unless they come up with a really clever way to get around it. But even then that's asking a lot.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by -Pr-
There's a part of me that hopes that Reynolds won't do it unless they come up with a really clever way to get around it. But even then that's asking a lot.

He already agreed to do Once Upon a Deadpool, so he'll agree to anything, as long as they keep throwing cash at him.

-Pr-
He already agreed to do Once Upon a Deadpool, so he'll agree to anything, as long as they keep throwing cash at him.

TBH I consider that a special case, because Deadpool 2 already existed.

Which of course could be their marketing plan going forward: Release new Deadpool movies in the summer, make them R-Rated, and then release a family-friendly version for Christmas so that if it does tie-in with the larger universe, kids can still have seen it.

StiltmanFTW
As long as we would get the r-rated versions, it wouldn't be so bad.

But stuff like this is not likely to happen, otherwise every studio would want to re-release their biggest hits "slightly altered" and with a new title the same year.

-Pr-
As long as we would get the r-rated versions, it wouldn't be so bad.

But stuff like this is not likely to happen, otherwise every studio would want to re-release their biggest hits "slightly altered" and with a new title the same year.

That's the goal yeah.

I imagine it comes down to (primarily) two things: How profitable it would be, and whether the actors would be willing to sign on for those extra scenes (though reshoots are common enough nowadays).

Adam Grimes
Tbf if anyone can pull that off successfully or take the hit if it goes south, it's current Disney.

Originally posted by NemeBro
But Star Wars is a kids franchise. thumb up You are getting wiser, young one. thumb up

Josh_Alexander
Marvel wouldn't.

But Disney could be.

Do you think Disney is trully going to stick to it's "family friendly" concept?

I mean, sure, when you think of Disney, children is the thing that comes to your mind. But Disney needs to realized that it has transcended the family content spectrum with it's acquisitions.

It's like the equivalent of a car industry buying an airplane company. It shouldn't be looking to stick to building cars only.

I just hope Disney can diversify.

Adam Grimes
They can still use subsidiaries like they have always done.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.