Was Dooku working with Sidious before Mauls death?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

juggernaut74
I was watching a video on YouTube about Dooku's history and in that video it mentions that Dooku was already doing missions for Sidious before Darth Maul's death.

If you go to the 11:45 mark he mentions it and when I read the Jedi Lost book I remember getting the idea he was working with Sidious before Maul spliteek!.

5nT5LhldIE4

Sheev
I don't think they had partnered up while Maul was still around. But very shortly after.

Darth Thor
In Canon there was an overlap. This was confirmed in commentary for the TCW S6 Lost Missions episode - The Lost Ones.

But Dooku wasnt officially Palpatines apprentice until he lost Maul.

Remember Maul was a Loss and Dooku was a Tool - as per Palpatine himself in Canon.

Galan007
^ The episode itself confirms that Palpatine was using Dooku and Maul simultaneously. Filoni's commentary just cements the obvious.

Sifo-Dyas was killed during the the reign of Chancellor Valorum...By Dooku...Under his Sith name of Tyranus...At the orders of his master, Sidious. Goes without saying that Maul was still Palpatine's apprentice at this time.

Additionally, the novel Master & Apprentice further implies that Dooku had been trained by Palpatine before Maul's death.

Darth Thor
Ah yes I forgot it was under the name Tyranus as well. So Palpatine potentially had 2 legit apprentices simultaneously.

Total Warrior
I always assumed it was Qui gon's death that definitely led Dooku to the dark side. And honestly I liked it more this way

Galan007
Originally posted by Total Warrior
I always assumed it was Qui gon's death that definitely led Dooku to the dark side. And honestly I liked it more this way According to Jedi Lost, the final straw for Dooku was the Council refusing to intervene when Serenno was being invaded by raiders and legitimately needed assistance -- so he disobeyed direct orders to liberate his homeworld... And during the battle he summoned/controlled an ancient Sith War Beast to absolutely decimate the raiders with extreme prejudice. Immediately afterward, he officially left the Order and turned to the dark side.

On top of that, the novel Master & Apprentice(as well as Jedi Lost) also explains that Dooku had been studying the more dark/occultish aspects of the Force for most of his time as a Jedi. As I mentioned in another thread, he was capable of summoning Force Lightning for decadeS before he left the Order... So he had always been intrigued by that aspect of the Force anyway.

Ultimately, Dooku just grew increasingly disillusioned with the Jedi Council over the years, believing they were bound to the politics of the Republic rather than the Force(which was completely true), and had considered walking away from the Order for a long while. It all just came to a head for him during the Serenno incident.

juggernaut74
Originally posted by Galan007
According to Jedi Lost, the final straw for Dooku was the Council refusing to intervene when Serenno was being invaded by raiders and legitimately needed assistance -- so he disobeyed direct orders to liberate his homeworld... And during the battle he summoned/controlled an ancient Sith War Beast to absolutely decimate the raiders with extreme prejudice. Immediately afterward, he officially left the Order and turned to the dark side.

On top of that, the novel Master & Apprentice(as well as Jedi Lost) also explains that Dooku had been studying the more dark/occultish aspects of the Force for most of his time as a Jedi. As I mentioned in another thread, he was capable of summoning Force Lightning for decadeS before he left the Order... So he had always been intrigued by that aspect of the Force anyway.

Ultimately, Dooku just grew increasingly disillusioned with the Jedi Council over the years, believing they were bound to the politics of the Republic rather than the Force(which was completely true), and had considered walking away from the Order for a long while. It all just came to a head for him during the Serenno incident. So basically Maul was the assassin and Dooku was big picture stuff.

Also adding to your post Dooku was also upset that the Republic only seemed interested in helping planets that had something to offer.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by juggernaut74
So basically Maul was the assassin and Dooku was big picture stuff.

Assassin?

facepalm

Total Warrior

Darth Thor
Theres no doubt once he became Sith he was Evil.

But his path to turning to the dark side seems to have had some good intentions behind it. His reasons for turning seem much more in depth than Anakins and took place over a much longer period of time.

Galan007
Yeah, Dooku's main motivation for walking away from the Order and turning to the dark side wasn't *just* for personal gain and the quest for greater power. In fact, he likely would have remained a Jedi his entire life, had the Order not lost its way and devolved into little more than a political tool.

But like DT said: as a Sith, Dooku was undoubtedly an extremely evil mofo.

juggernaut74
Dooku put up with a lot of crap for most of his life from his family and the Jedi I'm surprised it took decades before he finally went off the deep end. When he was very young his father left him in the forest all by himself with no food or protection from predators luckily the Jedi found him. And when he first met his father he basically said he was a freak.

YousufKhan1212
Originally posted by juggernaut74
So basically Maul was the assassin and Dooku was big picture stuff.

No.

juggernaut74
Ok.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.