What was Darth Maul's true potential ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ozz81
Was or could Darth Maul eventually supposed to be as powerful or more powerful than his mother /Mother Talzin?
Does canon ever make mention of this ?

Darth Thor
Probably given Sidious betrayed her for him.

Sheev
Doubt he was going to be as strong as Talzin, but his potential was definitely up there.

Total Warrior
He had the potential to be a top tier housewife

Galan007
Palpatine considered losing Maul in TPM to be a legitimate "loss", even though he immediately took Dooku(one of the most powerful Sith in the franchise) as his apprentice. For a point of reference, he didn't care about losing Dooku at all.

Based on that alone, it seems like Maul's potential was immense.

Total Warrior

Galan007
Right.

But he also had Dooku when he had Maul, yet still considered Maul as a "loss".

YousufKhan1212
Pre-bisected Maul had the potential to succeed PT Sidious:

All 3 of these sources say that Maul had enough potential to succeed Sidious, so it's pretty immense, but not as immense as Skywalker potential. Granted, one might argue that the third quote is from Maul's perspective if they wanted to be a smartass because of how it's phrased, but the first and third quote are not from Maul's perspective, they're the author's narration of the story, rendering Maul's in-universe perspective valid. Sidious himself has the same perspective:

Sidious has also said he can grasp Maul's potential for greatness in the dark side of the Force:

So there's your answer.

Eli Vanto
Any info about his potential in canon?

YousufKhan1212
Originally posted by Eli Vanto
Any info about his potential in canon?

Not familiar with any canon information, only legends I'm afraid.

Galan007
Only canon info I'm aware of that might be indicative of Maul's potential is from Son of Dathomir #3:
https://i.imgur.com/UFOltIO.jpg
Talzin: " promised to make me his right hand, but instead he stole what was most dear to me When Sidious realized Maul's potential, he took him from me and trained him as a Sith."

Depending on your interpretation of the dialogue, that could imply that Palpatine believed Maul's potential > Talzin's.

But again, it's ambiguous.

Darthadi
Sidious chosed Maul as a potential heir to the Sith. This is supported by both Filoni and Witwer and also by that comic where Sheev said that Maul was a loss. Even if is not explicitly said, the authorial intent is clear. Sidious burned bridges with Talzin just to get Maul because he realised how big is Maul's potential. Sidious wouldn't invest so much in an aprentice whose potential is not at least comparable to his own. With Dooku is different as he was just a place holder or as Sheev said a proton torpedo.

YousufKhan1212
Glad to see that people recognize that Maul wasn't a mere enforcer.

YousufKhan1212
@Galan007 would you please kindly correct a grammatical error in my post?

ozz81
Originally posted by YousufKhan1212
Pre-bisected Maul had the potential to succeed PT Sidious:

All 3 of these sources say that Maul had enough potential to succeed Sidious, so it's pretty immense, but not as immense as Skywalker potential. Granted, one might argue that the third quote is from Maul's perspective if they wanted to be a smartass because of how it's phrased, but the first and third quote are not from Maul's perspective, they're the author's narration of the story, rendering Maul's in-universe perspective valid. Sidious himself has the same perspective:

Sidious has also said he can grasp Maul's potential for greatness in the dark side of the Force:

So there's your answer.

Wow great info , but are they all Canon? Is "The wrath of maul" Canon ?

Galan007
^ Yousuf's sources are Legends.

As mentioned above, there is barely any information in canon regarding his potential.

relentless1
it stands to reason that Maul had the potential to be Sidious' successor in canon because Sidious trained him with no knowledge of a Chosen One running around so he would've trained Maul to the best of his ability in order to keep the Sith line going and getting stronger and we know in canon that was Sidious goal based on how he lauds Vaders potential in episode 3

Eli Vanto
How do you think Maul compared to Dooku at the time of SOD?

Darth Thor
^ Dooku was > Maul, but it seems Maul had potential to be > Dooku. Or at least he had Before he got sliced.

Galan007
Originally posted by Eli Vanto
How do you think Maul compared to Dooku at the time of SOD? If you only use the beam struggle from the comics as evidence, then Palpatine ~ Talzin, and Dooku > Maul(in terms of power, at least.)

-Palpatine and Talzin seem about equal during the initial struggle.

-Maul then gives his power to Talzin, just as Dooku adds his lightning to Palpatine's barrage.

-Talzin is quickly overpowered to the point where she is barely managing to shield from the attack, and Force pushes Maul to safety before he is also destroyed.

Point being, if Maul and Dooku were close in power, then the combined beam-struggle wouldn't have been so one-sided.

Moreover, Mace believed that Dooku was the Sith Master, and Maul was his apprentice:
https://i.imgur.com/JOm7JMT.jpg
...Which further lends to the notion that Dooku > Maul at the time.

YousufKhan1212
Dooku is better than Maul, but Windu's assumption that Dooku was the Sith Master and that Maul was the Sith apprentice can be chalked down to the fact that Dooku is older than Maul by nearly 5 decades, not necessarily how they powers compare to each other because Windu hasn't actually even met Maul until they fight later on, so until them, he has nothing to measure SoD Maul's powers against Dooku's powers.

Galan007
^ Not exactly.

This scan is from the last page of issue #3:
Originally posted by Galan007
Moreover, Mace believed that Dooku was the Sith Master, and Maul was his apprentice:
https://i.imgur.com/JOm7JMT.jpg
...Which further lends to the notion that Dooku > Maul at the time.

Earlier in the same issue, Mace had already encountered, and engaged, Maul.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by YousufKhan1212
Dooku is better than Maul, but Windu's assumption that Dooku was the Sith Master and that Maul was the Sith apprentice can be chalked down to the fact that Dooku is older than Maul by nearly 5 decades, not necessarily how they powers compare to each other because Windu hasn't actually even met Maul until they fight later on, so until them, he has nothing to measure SoD Maul's powers against Dooku's powers.

Not really because Dooku was older than Sidious but was his apprentice nonetheless.

And im sure Mace knows that with Sith the more powerful one will be the Master. Because its simply the nature of how they operate.

YousufKhan1212
^ Not exactly.

This scan is from the last page of issue #3:

Earlier in the same issue, Mace had already encountered, and engaged, Maul.

My bad. I misremembered the order of events because I haven't read SoD in a while, I didn't bother double checking SoD because comic websites take so long to load thanks to my slow Wi-Fi.

Darth Thor
This is pretty bad ass by Dooku:

https://youtu.be/xqme2yXff7M

Galan007
Jesus.

Those are some micro-series level showings.

Zenwolf
Jesus.

Those are some micro-series level showings.

I dunno if I'd go that far.

Still that is pretty nice showing, although it's kinda goofy looking with the way it is, obviously I know why, but that whole spinning thing was kinda much.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.