Opinion: People cannot grow thicker skin.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan
I'm of the opinion you're either born with it and when you become an adult you either get offended by certain shit or you don't.

Like someone makes a 9/11 joke, you're either laughing or you're not, and I don't really think it's possible to change that.

Maybe thats just a millenial way of thinking though.

Lord Lucien
9/11 jokes are just plane funny.

Are you saying that there's a thick-skin gene? Have scientists identified which chromosome its in? Is it autosomal recessive or dominant? Are blacks more thick-skinned for leathery reasons?

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
9/11 jokes are just plane funny.

Are you saying that there's a thick-skin gene? Have scientists identified which chromosome its in? Is it autosomal recessive or dominant? Are blacks more thick-skinned for leathery reasons? Nah I mean mainly when they become adults if they're already thin-skinned they can't really change that.

I don't think you can just DECIDE not to be offended by something.

You can tell people you aren't offended but you probably are deep down, you just don't say anything cause depending on what was said there's no point in turning it into a big thing.

StiltmanFTW
You really need to grow thicker skin, Jmango.

NewGuy01
Originally posted by Jmanghan
I'm of the opinion you're either born with it and when you become an adult you either get offended by certain shit or you don't.

how shameless you are

Jmanghan
Originally posted by NewGuy01
how shameless you are Normally you'd be right but even if this was about me it wouldn't make the statement any less true.

If you disagree feel free to give some examples.

ilikecomics
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so f**king what."

Stephen fry

Mindship
Some people's skins are naturally thicker than others, just like some people are (physically) stronger than others. You can still pump iron.

rudester
So the fatter you are the thivker skin you have? Interesting hypothesis

Esau Cairn

I don't think you can just DECIDE not to be offended by something.

Yes, you can decide.

As a kid I got teased & bullied at school because of my ethnic background.

Then at a certain age I realised the taunts were just sounds people were making to elicit a response from me.

I no longer was offended. In fact if the racial joke was funny enough I'd laugh at my own expense. I recognised the humour & not the intended insult.

Eon Blue
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Yes, you can decide.

As a kid I got teased & bullied at school because of my ethnic background.

Then at a certain age I realised the taunts were just sounds people were making to elicit a response from me.

I no longer was offended. In fact if the racial joke was funny enough I'd laugh at my own expense. I recognised the humour & not the intended insult.

Shut it, King Cuck.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Eon Blue
Shut it, King Cuck.

Quan's gone but Eon lingers like a stale fart.

Raptor22
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
9/11 jokes are just plane funny. lol

Flyattractor
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
You really need to grow thicker skin, Jmango.

...says the Most Thin Skinned Person on this board.

Lol'ers

Stringer

Flyattractor

Stringer

Flyattractor
https://media.giphy.com/media/l3mZasrfwrWUMnndS/giphy.gif

StiltmanFTW
thumb up

Do it, Fly. You know you want to.

gold slorg
jman making this kind of thread made me laugh so hard i nearly fell off the chair irl rofl

Wonder Man
Harps can make you right if you take them time for it.
Then be prepared for an explosion of music.

Blakemore
MATT BADON!!]

Wonder Man

YousufKhan1212

Jmanghan
Who are you?

Secondly, maybe its different with others but for me its simply not, people just feel their humor is threatened by more sensitive people but those person's feelings are more important then a cheap laugh, so the adult thing to do is to apologize and move on, not go out of your way to trigger them.

My view on it at least.

Jmanghan
Who are you?

Secondly, maybe its different with others but for me its simply not, people just feel their humor is threatened by more sensitive people but those person's feelings are more important then a cheap laugh, so the adult thing to do is to apologize and move on, not go out of your way to trigger them.

My view on it at least.

All I'm saying is, you can hold a gun to my head and ask me not to get offended by something, but because of who I am, because of the way I was born, I can't just not get offended by it, it's in my DNA, I'd be forced to say no and you'd have to shoot me. -Shrugs-

Unless you'd rather me lie and tell you "nah I won't be offended if you and your friends call me and my friend's retards 88,000 times".

Then ya'll act surprised when you get beat up for saying shit like this irl. "Dude wow, he beat me up all because I said the n-word." Like... are you stupid, do you not realize that's not okay? Half the people you say this kind of stuff to you'd NEVER say it to irl, because you'd get beat up for it and you know you would.

I feel like literally all the people who said they changed how they got offended are lying, you either started hanging out with a different crowd, something in your life CHANGED how you got offended by certain things.

You did NOT just wake up one day and say "hey that doesn't bother me". You can choose to laugh at it but deep down it still pisses you off, it's human nature. Being offended by things are normal, and no one has the right to tell you what you should and should not be offended by.

So yes I will keep getting "butthurt" about certain things because that's my god-given right as a human being who has feelings, just like literally everyone who isn't a sociopath.

It's not someone's fault that they got offended by your joke, THEY cannot help it, it's neither side's fault but it's your job as an adult if it does bother them to apologize and move on, it's the right thing to do, and a self-respecting adult should only ever try to do the "right" thing.

Wonder Man

Grand-Moff-Gav

Like someone makes a 9/11 joke, you're either laughing or you're not, and I don't really think it's possible to change that.

Maybe thats just a millenial way of thinking though.

It's not clear that 'that' is any way of thinking...

StiltmanFTW
Jmango threads are the best.

ilikecomics
I have skin like wet paper because im weak.

Silent Master
Getting offended is an emotional reaction, if you can't get over whatever mental hang-ups are causing the reaction. try therapy.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.