Justice League Dark: Apokolips War

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Surtur
This will be the next movie in the DC animated universe, due out this spring.

UzY817VhnQQ

So Darkseid's eyes clearly grew back.

And it's rated R. Weird.

TheVaultDweller
The animated DC stuff is decent more often than not, so I am game for this. Especially being a big Justice League Dark fan.

Surtur
Looks like it will have Darkseid and Trigon.

I'm still surprised DC is putting out an R rated Justice League movie.

TheVaultDweller
Previous Justice League Dark movie (2017) was also R-rated though. As was Constantine: City of Demons IIRC.

Galan007
They really need to find a better VA for Darkseid. ermm

TheVaultDweller
Lex: "I'm completely on your side now." lol

SquallX

Putinbot1
Looks great tbh.

Galan007

-Pr-
Ironside was so good they even used him in the Lego games.

BruceSkywalker
looks good so hopefully it will be

Surtur
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Previous Justice League Dark movie (2017) was also R-rated though. As was Constantine: City of Demons IIRC.

Oh I didn't know that, I see. I suppose that makes sense reflecting back on the content in those movies.

Surtur
Originally posted by Galan007
thumb up

There will never be a more fitting VA for Darkseid than Ironside was.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_ahX7sjoas&t=1m33s

I'll always remember the scene where Darkseid kills Dan Turpin.

uutSSpUHnHs

SquallX

Galan007
"THAT is who I am."

Khazra Reborn

Surtur
We see what appears to be demons with tech upgrades. So it seems science and magic are at work so it explains why all these people would work together.

The first JLD movie just had Batman as the only normal leaguer tagging along. It showed how the league is woefully unprepared to deal with strictly magical beings.

It'd be insane if Constantine thought he and his magical allies could take on the forces of Darkseid and Trigon without help.

Khazra Reborn
Ditch Darkseid then. Do something strictly around the JLD. Also add Agent Frankenstein.

Surtur
How about you ditch that haterade you're sipping.

Khazra Reborn

NemeBro
thumb up

There will never be a more fitting VA for Darkseid than Ironside was.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_ahX7sjoas&t=1m33s Not even gonna lie this dialogue has not aged nearly as well as I'd hoped. thumb down

All the deliveries are stilted. The entire DCAU isn't like that is it? no expression

Surtur
Originally posted by NemeBro
Not even gonna lie this dialogue has not aged nearly as well as I'd hoped. thumb down

All the deliveries are stilted. The entire DCAU isn't like that is it? no expression

No it gets better, watch Justice League Unlimited and you'll noticed the vast improvement.

Or there was a new film from the DCAU universe that came out recently, "Justice League vs The Fatal Five". Which was solid.

I miss the DCAU, but Young Justice has somewhat made up for it.

MichaelEDevries
I love this movie.

Surtur
It's not out until may 5th...

BruceSkywalker
i hope this is good, will watch

Adam Grimes
I will love this movie.

quanchi112
Looks terrible. No wonder the dc is struggling.

Surtur
DC shits all over Marvel when it comes to animation. Makes Marvel their little b*tch.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Surtur
DC shits all over Marvel when it comes to animation. Makes Marvel their little b*tch. No one cares about animation save a small minority. Live action films is where it is at. Enjoy your toons.

jaden_2.0
*insert "he's right you know" meme here

riv6672

quanchi112

SquallX

riv6672
^^^laughing

Impediment
DC animated movies have gone way downhill over the years.

riv6672

Surtur
I have to disagree I think they are pretty solid. They all aren't equal, but I still. I also have no problem if there is only a small amount of people who enjoy these films. Clearly enough people enjoy them that DC keeps making more. They wouldn't do that if they weren't making money from this.

And if this film comes out on May 5th like it is set to do it might actually benefit from people being in lockdown(if it is still going). More people will probably order it online when it comes out.

Robtard
Sadly yes, DC animated films have gone down in writing quality the past several years.

Hopefully Darkseid in this is an actual Darkseid and not the wordless grunting brick he was in Justice League: War. That was an meh-okay film overall, but its portrayal of comic's greatest big-bad villain was awful.

Surtur
I really liked the Death of Superman and the followup Reign of the Supermen. I thought Justice League Dark was excellent. It's one of my favorites.

Judas contract was pretty good. JLA vs Teen Titans was okay too. Wonder Woman was better than I thought, it grew on me. Batman Hush is pretty solid.

Oh and we do see Darkseid talking in the trailer. He also talks in the Reign of the Supermen.

Robtard
Death I enjoyed, but we've seen that same story before in both animated film and cartoon series. So I had deja vu. Reign was a mixed bag for me.

Judas and JL Vs TT I liked overall, but not great

New WW was a huge let down as the first WW animated film great.

Hush I didn't like.

JL: Dark, was just kinda okay, I was expecting a lot more.

But compared to their earlier films like Wonder Woman (2009), Batman: Under The Red Hood (2010) and Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox (2013), quality has dipped a lot in the last few years. If you've not seen those three, go and watch them right now.

carthage
I remember theyre ending the current continuity of these animated films somewhere too.

Khazra Reborn

riv6672
I have to disagree I think they are pretty solid. They all aren't equal, but I still. I also have no problem if there is only a small amount of people who enjoy these films. Clearly enough people enjoy them that DC keeps making more. They wouldn't do that if they weren't making money from this.

And if this film comes out on May 5th like it is set to do it might actually benefit from people being in lockdown(if it is still going). More people will probably order it online when it comes out.
thumb up

Impediment
JL Dark, the comic, doesn't have the actual JLA for sheer star power and appeal, unlike the direct to video releases.

riv6672
True.
The JL is on the book because DC likes to stick JUSTICE on every team book regardless of it applying or not.

Surtur
If DC was planning a team up between Constantine and the Justice League(as is happening in Apokolips War) it makes sense why they'd have more league members in the first movie. Though it was mostly cameos besides Batman. And they shoved a bat of Bat-fanboyism in there too with how he handled Green Lantern.

Surtur
I like DC's animated elseworlds movies too. Red Son was good. I also liked Justice League Gods and Monsters.

Galan007
This was enjoyable.

Some of the VA work was annoying, though.

Surtur
Damn I had forgotten, unfortunately I won't be getting it until Monday sad

BruceSkywalker
will watch on friday

Robtard
Watching this later tonight, will leave a quick review. Hope it's good, the DC animated films have been on a downward slope mostly.

Zenwolf
It's pretty nice.

dynamix
it was ok but i liked the ending. very somber.

Zenwolf
Poor Stewart tho....I kinda felt he had time though.

Robtard
This was just okay, felt like the Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox with all the fighting and the doom-and-gloom setting, but not nearly as good.

I assume this ends the DCAMU?

TheVaultDweller
That Constantine/King Shark connection though... I have so many questions.

Robtard
I laughed. I think it was just a goof thrown in there for fun. But yes, how did that work out...

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Robtard
This was just okay, felt like the Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox with all the fighting and the doom-and-gloom setting, but not nearly as good.

I assume this ends the DCAMU?

I think so since Flash went back in time, yet again. So could be a reboot later on.

On another note, was it just me or did the Paradooms seem inconsistant?

Also I feel like Swamp Thing shoulda reacted....well a lot sooner given that Earth and by extension the Green was being killed.

Robtard
They did. One minute they're taking shots from Superman and Martian Manhunter and tearing apart Aquaman and Shazam. Then we see them being taken down by street-levels like Batgirl.

Swampy seemed kinda retarded in this. Like legit mentally retarded.

Zenwolf
They did. One minute they're taking shots from Superman and Martian Manhunter and tearing apart Aquaman and Shazam. Then we see them being taken down by street-levels like Batgirl.

Swampy seemed kinda retarded in this. Like legit mentally retarded.

Speaking of, I know we saw a lot of people die, but Batgirl was really something when she screamed "no!" and we see an arm get torn off.

Speaking of the Bats, did we see how Kate die? I don't recall her scene.

Also that one in the blue armored Batsuit, that was..Fox? I recall something about in the comics, that there was a blue Batsuit and it was him.

Shazam went out like a boss though. I'm pretty sure Swamp Thing is alive, guy is suppose to be immortal from what I recall.

Flyattractor
The Best thing about this flick is that it marks the END of the Nu52/SnyderVerseWannabee-ism of the DCAU.

Lets just hope they don't replace it with their 5G (or what the Phcuk Ever) version of DC
which is gonna suck quanchieEonBlueBalls.

tkitna
Watched it last night. It was alright but nothing great.

Robtard
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Speaking of, I know we saw a lot of people die, but Batgirl was really something when she screamed "no!" and we see an arm get torn off.

Speaking of the Bats, did we see how Kate die? I don't recall her scene.

Also that one in the blue armored Batsuit, that was..Fox? I recall something about in the comics, that there was a blue Batsuit and it was him.

Shazam went out like a boss though. I'm pretty sure Swamp Thing is alive, guy is suppose to be immortal from what I recall.

Not sure, saw someone that looked like Huntress die, could have been Batwoman. Or maybe Batgirl was Batwoman? Happened fast.

The blue batsuit was familiar, but I couldn't place it.

Shazam did, surrounded by a swarm of demons.

Swamp is effectively immortal as he can exist in any vegetation. so as long as there's green on the earth, he can transfer his sentience to it.

Why didn't Raven or Constantine just use their magic to remove the liquid Knite from Supe's chest?

Zenwolf

Why didn't Raven or Constantine just use their magic to remove the liquid Knite from Supe's chest?

Raven I'm sure couldn't, she was having issues just teleporting around after all and it was noted that she was pretty weak. Plus trying to keep her father contained.

For Constantine though....yeah, seems strange he couldn't do something for that. I mean he could get Cyborg back to normal and he admitted that he cheated, plus...magic is magic.

Though I'm kinda wondering, Superman is depowered ok fine....but um...he still has his Fortress of Solitude, I'm sure there's plenty of Kryptonian technology among other things he could use.

-Pr-
I... really didn't expect this to be as enjoyable as it was. Full of PIS, but still charming enough to be entertaining.

Also serves as a really nice reset point for the next movie.

Estacado
I feel like this was one of the most boring DC animated movies that was made in the last 10 years...

BruceSkywalker
Not sure, saw someone that looked like Huntress die, could have been Batwoman. Or maybe Batgirl was Batwoman? Happened fast.

The blue batsuit was familiar, but I couldn't place it.

Shazam did, surrounded by a swarm of demons.

Swamp is effectively immortal as he can exist in any vegetation. so as long as there's green on the earth, he can transfer his sentience to it.

so everybody dies

Flyattractor
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
so everybody dies

Like has been said.. its the Gawd Awful Nu52 Snyderverse Tie In Characters so....

http://incogman.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/LETS-KILL-THEM-ALL-XPRT.gif

Estacado
What was with King Shark acting like Groot?

Flyattractor
Lazy/Bad Writing?

-Pr-
Originally posted by Estacado
What was with King Shark acting like Groot?

Probably just based on an older version of him. The kind of verbose, intelligent one you see in the likes of the Harley Quinn show only came later.

And besides, that bit at the end showed us that he's not completely thick.

Robtard
so everybody dies

Kinda like Game of Thrones, lots and lots of deaths, even fan favorites.

Galan007
Still not sure how I feel about giving Flash the ability to just reboot continuity on the fly whenever things go south. Seems like such a copout.

Essentially nothing bad can ever happen to the DCAU as long as Flash is around.

playa1258
I like how Superman is portrayed as clearly the strongest and most powerful JL member in these films.

Adam Grimes
Still not sure how I feel about giving Flash the ability to just reboot continuity on the fly whenever things go south. Seems like such a copout.

Essentially nothing bad can ever happen to the DCAU as long as Flash is around. Well, this is supposedly the series finale. I guess.

Zenwolf

I mean to be fair, Flash has always be a kinda broken character in terms of power, when he really goes all out. So par for the course.

Though now since things have reset, we're gonna get some new things next go around.

BruceSkywalker
Kinda like Game of Thrones, lots and lots of deaths, even fan favorites.

i saw...

this was very well down.. excellent action.. good story.. loved how both heroes and villains worked together.. they saved the best for last..

-Pr-

I honestly got the impression that they were only doing it because things had become so utterly ****ed. And even then, the risks were massive.

Besides, don't try to tell me comic Barry or Wally couldn't do that shit.

Originally posted by playa1258
I like how Superman is portrayed as clearly the strongest and most powerful JL member in these films.

thumb up

That fight at the end once he was back to himself was awesome.

Zenwolf
On a note regarding the Green Lantern scene. I've noticed that at least within these particular set of movies leading up to this, that GL wasn't exactly...fantastic. But what I'm wondering is, since I'm not too familiar with the GLCs, could Darkseid realistically solo all of them?

Galan007
Originally posted by -Pr-
I honestly got the impression that they were only doing it because things had become so utterly ****ed. And even then, the risks were massive.

Besides, don't try to tell me comic Barry or Wally couldn't do that shit. Comic Flash can definitely do it under certain circumstances, because he has. stick out tongue

The difference here is that DCAU Flash can evidently preform continuity reboots whenever he feels like it. So the only way anything bad can ever really stick in the DCAU is if: a.) Flash is taken out of the picture, or b.) he simply chooses not to undo it.

That's next-level broken, even by Flash standards.

On a note regarding the Green Lantern scene. I've noticed that at least within these particular set of movies leading up to this, that GL wasn't exactly...fantastic. But what I'm wondering is, since I'm not too familiar with the GLCs, could Darkseid realistically solo all of them? In the comics, the only GL who can potentially defeat Darkseid is Hal Jordan(fully tapping his 'god-will'), OR if one of the noteworthy Lanterns absorbs the energies of the Central Battery to become Ion.

Barring that, a well-written/higher-end Darkseid could likely solo the GLC, yeah.

Zenwolf

In the comics, the only GL who can potentially defeat Darkseid is Hal Jordan(fully tapping his 'god-will'), OR if one of the noteworthy Lanterns absorbs the energies of the Central Battery to become Ion.

Barring that, a well-written/higher-end Darkseid could likely solo the GLC, yeah.

Is this including on paper vs how they are written? Of course I guess if on paper, Darkseid would anyway, but just speaking for the Corps I mean.

Galan007
On paper there are really only a handful of Lanterns who are worth a damn(even in the comics the no-namers are often portrayed as fodder.)

Zenwolf
On paper there are really only a handful of Lanterns who are worth a damn(even in the comics the no-namers are often portrayed as fodder.)

Hmm....interesting.

Estacado
Still movie portrayed it like Superman>GLC...which is dumb....

Hell Clark was doing just As good against Darkseid As Trigon did if not even better....

Galan007
I think Trigon was doing a little better against Darkseid than Superman was... But I guess you could also argue that Supes may have softened him up a bit. /shrug

Either way, Superman definitely did FAR better against Darkseid than the entire GLC did, which is stupid... But also expected.

Zenwolf

Alright let me take a crack at the names with my limited knowledge.

Hal, John, Tomar, Kilowog, Kyle, Guy, Jessica? Lairia? That one blonde who's name I forget...Sinestro(When he was one.)

Oh and Alan Scott? Or is he not considered one?

Also I guess then, John was going for Ion in the movie then with the Core battery...I still think he had enough time though.

Galan007
Yeah pretty much.

I mean, you could throw a few others on the list -- Mogo for sure, Simon Baz, Soranik Natu, and Sodam Yat(not counting the Guardians, obviously), but there are still maybe 20 noteworthy GLs that come to mind off hand.

Outside of a few exceptions, the other 7,180 of them are depicted as fodder tier most of the time.

Zenwolf
Yeah pretty much.

I mean, you could throw a few others on the list -- Mogo for sure, Simon Baz, Soranik Natu, GL Sinestro, and Sodam Yat(not counting the Guardians, obviously), but there are still maybe 20 noteworthy GLs that come to mind off hand.

The other 7,180 of them are depicted as fodder tier most of the time.

Ack! How could I forget Mogo! I still find it humorous that a damn planet is a Green Lantern haha! Which come to think of it...we never saw him in the movie! So...I guess he's still around?

Also I see....I mean, I guess I can't say I'm disappointed, because comic writers can't exactly write for every character. Especially not some 7k.

-Pr-
Comic Flash can definitely do it under certain circumstances, because he has. stick out tongue

The difference here is that DCAU Flash can evidently preform continuity reboots whenever he feels like it. So the only way anything bad can ever really stick in the DCAU is if: a.) Flash is taken out of the picture, or b.) he simply chooses not to undo it.

That's next-level broken, even by Flash standards.

lol, exactly my point.

It's Flash.

On a note regarding the Green Lantern scene. I've noticed that at least within these particular set of movies leading up to this, that GL wasn't exactly...fantastic. But what I'm wondering is, since I'm not too familiar with the GLCs, could Darkseid realistically solo all of them?

Even if he could, i got the impression that they had spent two years warring with the GLC, and Darkseid was only going to Oa to finish the job.

Galan007
Ack! How could I forget Mogo! I still find it humorous that a damn planet is a Green Lantern haha! Which come to think of it...we never saw him in the movie! So...I guess he's still around?

Also I see....I mean, I guess I can't say I'm disappointed, because comic writers can't exactly write for every character. Especially not some 7k. Lol, yeah. GLs come in all sizes/shapes/personifications.

For example, one GL is a sentient smallpox virus, and another is a bio-sentient mathematical equation:
https://i.imgur.com/mCtRQYH.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/J7CO26f.jpg

But unfortunately the exotic Lanterns are rarely touched on. The human Lanterns tend to take the limelight 99% of the time, and are undoubtedly the most powerful in general.

Zenwolf
Lol, yeah. GLs come in all sizes/shapes/personifications.

For example, one GL is a sentient smallpox virus, and another is a bio-sentient mathematical equation:
https://i.imgur.com/mCtRQYH.jpg

But unfortunately the exotic Lanterns are rarely touched on. The human Lanterns tend to take the limelight 99% of the time, and are undoubtedly the most powerful in general.

....Whaat? Lol. How do these even work?...Do these guys even have anything feat wise?

I mean, I guess I can't fault the writers for not at least coming up with some very creative Lanterns. I think my fav out of them all though is Tomar-Re, for...whatever strange reason, I guess it's cause of those animated movies. Is he still dead as of the N52?

But yeah, I figure the human ones have to take the limelight so people can relate to them. Though I honesty never really got into the whole "I wanna relate to X", I'd rather have a good story more than anything.

StiltmanFTW

H1A8???????

Jfc, Galan, you're scaring me. Stop.

Galan007
They've done a few things here and there, but have very rarely made appearances.

Unfortunately. sad

Zenwolf

Raptor22
Did i misunderstand their little interaction or did Constantine and King Shark **** back in the day?

TheVaultDweller
That's the implication. Although based on the fact that John was also still able to bang Zatanna, King Shark at least knew not to use teeth. Now try getting that mental image out of your head.

-Pr-
To be fair, there's little John won't bang.

Zenwolf
The kicker for me about King Shark was when he actually spoke and Capt Boomerang was like WTF?! That was hilarious.

Surtur
Finally had a chance to watch this. I really liked it. It was a good way to end the series.

It sucks we won't be getting movies anymore from this universe, but DC is still going to be making animated movies. The next one is "Superman: Man of Tomorrow" that is coming out this summer. I don't know what the plot is, but looking at the cast details it features the characters of Lex Luthor, Lobo, Parasite, and Martian Manhunter.

Would be kinda cool to see Supes and J'onn team up to take on Lobo and Parasite. Or heck maybe Lobo works with them against Parasite and Lex Luthor.

Surtur
The kicker for me about King Shark was when he actually spoke and Capt Boomerang was like WTF?! That was hilarious.

Up until that point I thought Constantine had taken advantage of an intellectually disabled shark lol.

Surtur
I did feel the ending was a cop out though.

BruceSkywalker
I did feel the ending was a cop out though.

i think they prolly did that because it might open up the next phase of animated movies that they'll do

Surtur
i think they prolly did that because it might open up the next phase of animated movies that they'll do

Oh, I guess that makes sense. I'd heard they were not doing anymore movies within that universe.

Flyattractor
Yeah. This movie is supposed to be the Last in the Nu52/Snyder Version of the DCAU.

We can Hope for Rebirth to take its place but much like The MCU.. I am sure they will go Full Lose all the Money SJW instead.

Surtur
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Yeah. This movie is supposed to be the Last in the Nu52/Snyder Version of the DCAU.

We can Hope for Rebirth to take its place but much like The MCU.. I am sure they will go Full Lose all the Money SJW instead.

I did like this universe, but at least we're still gonna get animated movies. The next one is "Superman: Man of Tomorrow" out this summer. And hopefully they will continue to do Elseworlds tales like "Red Son" too.

Flyattractor
I did like this universe, but at least we're still gonna get animated movies. The next one is "Superman: Man of Tomorrow" out this summer. And hopefully they will continue to do Elseworlds tales like "Red Son" too.

I would LOVE to get some Non Bats/Superman Animated Flicks, but yeah I know the chances of that are slim to nill...

Mindset
It was alright

dynamix
I would LOVE to get some Non Bats/Superman Animated Flicks, but yeah I know the chances of that are slim to nill...

100 percent agree with this. especially batman. i'm totally exhausted from that character.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by dynamix
100 percent agree with this. especially batman. i'm totally exhausted from that character.

Heck Yeah. DC has a Comic Book Universe...USE IT!

Give us a Huntress Movie.

More Constantine.
Dead Man
LOSH
A Full On Comedy JLI Movie ala Keith Giffen.
Heck even more Aquaman...
TAKE MY MONEY DC!!!!!!!!

playa1258
Make a full on hard R Lobo movie.

Flyattractor
Nah.

BruceSkywalker
Oh, I guess that makes sense. I'd heard they were not doing anymore movies within that universe.

yea there gonna concentrate on what the current comics are i think but i hope they get the same voice actors

Surtur

Could do without Batman, but I gotta veto the "no Superman" request. The man of steel shan't be denied!

Flyattractor
Could do without Batman, but I gotta veto the "no Superman" request. The man of steel shan't be denied!
Well a Superman DONE RIGHT would be a Nice thing to get...been a long LONG while since we got that...Animated or otherwise.

Impediment
John Constantine is a pervert. laughing out loud

BruceSkywalker

wb will never make movies w/o bruce but i understand what you're saying

carthage
The movie like its predecessors was ok and perfectly serviceable. Without Timm the movies have at best been enjoyable (DOS/The Harley Quinn film) and at times just background noise. It really only picks up to the end with memorable moments being Diana's fight with the Furies. I'd be lying if I said I cared about any of the versions of these characters and Darkseid in these movies has been super underwhelming

6/10

Khazra Reborn

SquallX
I neither like the look of Darkseid or his voice. Both of them are so damn dull.

Trigon was far better in both voice acting and visual.

Khazra Reborn
I thought Darkseid sucked, as well. Also, I was pissed at how they bitched out Etrigan.

Surtur
Sucks to see this particular universe end.

I will always love the first Justice League Dark.

Zenwolf
Sucks to see this particular universe end.

I will always love the first Justice League Dark.

Ya know speaking of universe ends, I never really was able to understand something, but maybe it's been explained in comics.

But if there's changes to the universe such as this one for example, doesn't it then just create a completely separate universe rather than erase it?

Given how there's a Multiverse, wouldn't this particular universe still be around? Just in a completely different timeline? So wouldn't that JL apart from Barry, still have to deal with whatever is going on?

Or are alternate/different universes completely separate from timeline changes?

Henry_Pym

Galan007
Ya know speaking of universe ends, I never really was able to understand something, but maybe it's been explained in comics.

But if there's changes to the universe such as this one for example, doesn't it then just create a completely separate universe rather than erase it?

Given how there's a Multiverse, wouldn't this particular universe still be around? Just in a completely different timeline? So wouldn't that JL apart from Barry, still have to deal with whatever is going on?

Or are alternate/different universes completely separate from timeline changes? It can work both ways in the comics.

But in cases like this(ie. Crisis or Flashpoint-type events) the intent is for Flash to have rectonned/rebooted/overrode the existing continuity -- essentially altering it into something brand new.

Surtur

Or are alternate/different universes completely separate from timeline changes?

It really depends on who is writing the story. DC has had so many contradictory rules when it comes to time travel.

But if this was supposed to be the last movie in this universe they should have not just undid everything. It was all pointless.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.