Jedi robes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sheev
I know this is a bit of a strange question, but is there a reason why outside of a select few, Jedi almost always wore their standard robes into conflicts? Seems like wearing more tactical attire that protected them from the off blaster bolt would have been a smarter alternative than just robes. Especially if they knew they might be going into a volatile situation confused

Eli Vanto
I always assumed it was just tradition.

Zenwolf
More freedom of movement from what I've read, though really it's just inconsistent.

Eli Vanto
I guess it doesnt get much more "free" then robes. stick out tongue

Galan007
Originally posted by Zenwolf
More freedom of movement from what I've read, though really it's just inconsistent. Yep. The Jedi garb is definitely made with combat in mind.

Zentrex
Eh. I mean, yeah, the real reason is that Lucas wanted to keep a consistent look from the Original Trilogy, though it doesn't really make sense.

Many authors have tried to justify it. Zahn did it to drool to Thrawn like he always does, but the guidebook to Episode 1 said that the robes were designed to show that the Jedi came in peace, and when they put their arms in their sleeves, it would be impossible to reach for their lightsabers, so people know they won't attack.

Let's be real, it makes no sense for jedi to wear one type of attire, especially robes, at all times.

This is really just another case of the Prequels having established something big and then authors having to write their stories around it.

Eli Vanto
Originally posted by Zentrex
but the guidebook to Episode 1 said that the robes were designed to show that the Jedi came in peace, and when they put their arms in their sleeves, it would be impossible to reach for their lightsabers, so people know they won't attack. You have that quote handy?

Zentrex
Sadly, no. I remember it was on Qui-Gon's page if you happen to stumble upon "The Phantom Menace Visual Dictionary."

I did find this though:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51A0XMPNSBL.jpg
Under "Jedi Gear:"
The basic jedi clothing...speaks to the simplicity vested n jedi philosophy and carries overtones of their missions as travelers. Individual jedi keep utility belt field gear to a minimum. As initiates are taught at the great Temple, jedi reputations are based on their spirits and not on material toppings.

Kinda nifty.

Zenwolf
All I'm seeing about the robes is that they show the pledge Jedi to serve and protect even the most humble galactic citizen.

Galan007
Same. thumb up

Nothing in Qui-Gon's bio mentions the robes -- but there's a little blurb about them in the following page of Kenobi's bio.

Zentrex
Well, this is embarrassing.

But I'm confident I didn't dream this up. There might be something about how they put their arms in their sleeves...? Is there a section that talks about both Kenobi and Obi-Wan? Something about the Jedi in general? Is it actually from the "Complete Visual Dictionary" that covers all 6 films? (probably not that last one).

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.