Jungle Cruise (2020)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Patient_Leech
Ugh, this looks like a promising concept turned into a crapfest by casting The Rock and doing too much and trying too hard... facepalm

uilmG-_1B5U

One of the big reasons Pirates of the Caribbean worked so well was the unique and fun performance of Johnny Depp. Dwayne Johnson ain't gonna provide that.

riv6672
I just saw this trailer about two hours ago.
Looks...average.

While I love the Rock in pretty much everything, and Emily Blunt seemed fun enough, i only saw them.
They need more ppl to bounce things off of.
PIRATES had a nice ensemble feel to it, at least till Depp became the focus.

Patient_Leech
Yeah, good point. I enjoy a lot of the other character actors in Pirates of the Caribbean at least as much as Depp.

riv6672
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Yeah, good point. I enjoy a lot of the other character actors in Pirates of the Caribbean at least as much as Depp.
Same.
Elizabeth of course, and Will Turner till he got overshadowed by Depp.
Murtogg and Mullroy, the none too bright guards, a lot of the recurring pirate crew...

BruceSkywalker
this will be cancelled

riv6672

Robtard
Not something I'll see in theaters.

riv6672

Patient_Leech
Maybe a cheap theater if I'm really bored, but that probably won't be the case.

It's just kind of sad, because it looks like Disney is wanting to recreate the success of Pirates, but this doesn't look likely to do it.

riv6672

MichaelEDevries
I love this movie.

riv6672

Kazenji
I guess that bot can time travel.

riv6672
^^^So, a Terminator!

Patient_Leech
This really does look like a big, expensive crapfest.

Hopefully a fun one, though...

VuSI_J00iio

Old Man Whirly!
Amazing how a year on our standards have fallen so far we will watch anything.

Robtard
The only thing that looks good in this is Emilie Blunt, but she's just lovely.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Robtard
The only thing that looks good in this is Emilie Blunt, but she's just lovely. She is very, very British looking thumb up

cdtm
Originally posted by riv6672
I just saw this trailer about two hours ago.
Looks...average.

While I love the Rock in pretty much everything, and Emily Blunt seemed fun enough, i only saw them.
They need more ppl to bounce things off of.
PIRATES had a nice ensemble feel to it, at least till Depp became the focus.

Yeah, everything after 2 pretty much disproves PL.

Pirates 1 worked so well because everyone was cast so well, and given plenty of screen time.

riv6672

Patient_Leech

riv6672

Patient_Leech
The movie that everyone keeps forgetting about. I think it comes out tomorrow...

I'm not going to lie, it looks awful, but I hope it'll still be entertainingly awful.

Old Man Whirly!
The movie that everyone keeps forgetting about. I think it comes out tomorrow...

I'm not going to lie, it looks awful, but I hope it'll still be entertainingly awful. Yes I have tickets for the wife and eye for 5pm tomorrow.

riv6672

Old Man Whirly!
Very good reminded me of the Mummy more than Piratesthe use of an extended orchestral version of nothing else matters is used to transition the film to a more serious mode beautifully. The suffragettes at the end back in London will trigger the usual crowd

Robtard
The Mummy (1999) was a fun ride and still is, watched it a few months back and it still holds up.

So interesting that you compared it to that, might have to end up watching this.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Robtard
The Mummy (1999) was a fun ride and still is, watched it a few months back and it still holds up.

So interesting that you compared it to that, might have to end up watching this. it is very similar at times and quite enjoyable. The Rock actually acts. He does humour very well here.

Patient_Leech
I probably will give this a chance when I get... a chance.

Especially since you mentioned Metallica, I think. 🤔

tkitna
Not bad. Emily Blunt is great in everything.

Patient_Leech
I haven't quite reached the end of this yet, but as Robtard would say, it's pretty much ass. Not necessarily dirty ass, but more like glossy, desperate Disney ass.

As someone who has been on the Amazon river (in much the same way that the movie depicts, as a matter of fact: I went on a Medical mission trip with my dad on a boat in the Amazon of Peru) this is an embarrassingly goofy portrayal. The whole movie is just as I suspected, a sad attempt to make another Pirates of the Caribbean style franchise. And this time it is sort of a knock-off Indiana Jones movie. It actually made me think of Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull a good bit.

The story is lame, the CGI is over-used and it's mostly cringe.

Old Man Whirly!
I haven't quite reached the end of this yet, but as Robtard would say, it's pretty much ass. Not necessarily dirty ass, but more like glossy, desperate Disney ass.

As someone who has been on the Amazon river (in much the same way that the movie depicts, as a matter of fact: I went on a Medical mission trip with my dad on a boat in the Amazon of Peru) this is an embarrassingly goofy portrayal. The whole movie is just as I suspected, a sad attempt to make another Pirates of the Caribbean style franchise. And this time it is sort of a knock-off Indiana Jones movie. It actually made me think of Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull a good bit.

The story is lame, the CGI is over-used and it's mostly cringe. interesting PL I've also visited the Amazon. I just put realism aside for these sort of films. Ffs I lived in Cairo and have a really good working history of ancient Egypt but I lived the Mummy. For me, I just look at them as stories.

Patient_Leech
Yeah, I mean, I don't mind a little fantasy, I know it's a Disney flick. I don't mean that so much as a criticism as an observation.

The main criticism is that I just found the entire thing to be kind of a pathetic and cringy attempt to make another theme park ride blockbuster franchise. Literally the same "lift the curse" premise. I did like that The Rock turned into a literal rock at the end, though. highlight for me.. haha. laughing out loud

Impediment
I'm not a fan of the Rock. Never have been.

The Rock is to movies what Steve Zahn was to movies in the 2000s.

riv6672

Robtard
Watched it at home, it's not as bad as I thought it'd be, even with the blatantly obvious lazy ripoff** of POTC villain angle.

**The mutated undying conquistadors might as well been the mutated undying pirates

Patient_Leech
Juat call it dirty ass, Rob. I want to see you say it.

With some of the other decent stuff you've called dirty ass, yet not this...

This was the epitome of artificial, corporate, dirty ass.

Patient_Leech
So oddly enough a few nights after I watched this I saw...

Anacondas: The Hunt for the Blood Orchid (2004) (Aka Anaconda 2)

And the comparison of these two films is kind of interesting. Because the plot is actually pretty damn similar. The're both looking for some special flower in the jungle, basically. To use for medical purposes/making money. It was crazy what a breath of fresh air this trashy sequel to another trashy film was because the locations and animals felt more real (aside from the obviously CGI anaconda moments, obviously). But the conflict with the characters and the environments were so much more interesting and compelling.

https://images.moviesanywhere.com/6812ff93544bd5efa3d3ecdac1fd6a31/34a8f622-e9a7-4968-8bcd-cf41517b160b.jpg

riv6672
^^^i barely remember that movie.
Well, aside from Salli Richardson.

Old Man Whirly!
So oddly enough a few nights after I watched this I saw...

Anacondas: The Hunt for the Blood Orchid (2004) (Aka Anaconda 2)

And the comparison of these two films is kind of interesting. Because the plot is actually pretty damn similar. The're both looking for some special flower in the jungle, basically. To use for medical purposes/making money. It was crazy what a breath of fresh air this trashy sequel to another trashy film was because the locations and animals felt more real (aside from the obviously CGI anaconda moments, obviously). But the conflict with the characters and the environments were so much more interesting and compelling.

https://images.moviesanywhere.com/6812ff93544bd5efa3d3ecdac1fd6a31/34a8f622-e9a7-4968-8bcd-cf41517b160b.jpg never watched, but I will.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.