Dark Souls Remastered

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan
If someone made this thread I'm deeply sorry but I couldn't find it.

I've been playing this lately on the Switch, and I've never beaten it before, so I figured why not make a thread for "Remastered" so I and others can gush about it.

Beat Ornstein and Smough by myself yesterday so I'm pretty proud of that.

vpGcCpU-9VM
n2eos3V7jTI

Anyway, discuss!

Jmanghan
Seath's tail is rather annoying to get to, tbh, but I guess that's the whole point.

Kazenji
I got this one a while back, Amazing how much better Blighttown runs in this version.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Kazenji
I got this one a while back, Amazing how much better Blighttown runs in this version. Yeah, I mean people complain about how "little" is improved, but the frame-rate is leagues better and the game runs pretty damn well compared to the original.

Jmanghan
Kalameet is harder then Manus.

Adam Grimes
Are you okay my man

NemeBro
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Kalameet is harder then Manus. Nah, not really. Manus is the hardest boss in original Dark Souls. Kalameet might not even place second tbh.

Also, this game doesn't do enough to be worth a purchase from someone who already owns the original game, but if you have not played Dark Souls and want to play it on PC get this version. Ultimately it is just a much better optimized version with some quality of life improvements on the game.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by NemeBro
Nah, not really. Manus is the hardest boss in original Dark Souls. Kalameet might not even place second tbh.

Also, this game doesn't do enough to be worth a purchase from someone who already owns the original game, but if you have not played Dark Souls and want to play it on PC get this version. Ultimately it is just a much better optimized version with some quality of life improvements on the game. Dude I'm sure in NG+ modes he's harder, but while I did get hit he just doesn't hit hard enough to destroy my HP like Kalameet does. Artorias is a joke if you can stop his enchantment, he gives you way too much time to heal.

Also I just like playing while laying down more, so meh.

Jmanghan
Okay so... I take it back, Manus is harder (I beat him today), but the trek back to Kalameet is so ****ing annoying IMO.

You have to deal with the dogs, then go down the long-ass ladder. It isn't that bad on paper but every time I die to Kalameet it makes me rage so much harder then any time with Manus.

I've only died to Kalameet 5+ times and died to Manus like 15-16 times? Nothing compared to O&S though, those guys made me scream.

Adam Grimes
All these bosses are a joke to Nightmare King Grimm, plebs.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
All these bosses are a joke to Nightmare King Grimm, plebs. Hollow Knight is next after completing the Skyrim DLC... which will be after I complete DS.

A lot of these gaming "greats" I'm only just now completing.

Jmanghan
All these bosses are a joke to Nightmare King Grimm, plebs. DS>Hollow Knight.

Adam Grimes
DS>Hollow Knight. Nope. Not even close.

Jmanghan
Nope. Not even close. Salt & Sanctuary was better don't @ me.

NewGuy01

I had way more trouble with O&S than I did with Grimm.

NemeBro
Originally posted by NewGuy01
I had way more trouble with O&S than I did with Grimm. I find that really bizarre, coming from someone who's done a soul level 1 playthrough of Dark Souls and spanked O and S's asses.

I wouldn't even say they're the hardest boss in Dark Souls.

NemeBro
Salt & Sanctuary was better don't @ me. Ayyy someone else who played Salt and Sanctuary.

It's not as good as Hollow Knight though. thumb down

Jmanghan
I find that really bizarre, coming from someone who's done a soul level 1 playthrough of Dark Souls and spanked O and S's asses.

I wouldn't even say they're the hardest boss in Dark Souls. I died way more to O&S then I did to Kalameet, Manus, or Artorias.

cdtm
But did they fix the remaster for Switch? Or is it still a visual downgrade?

https://steamcommunity.com/app/570940/discussions/0/1694922345927615044/

Jmanghan
It was never a visual downgrade.

cdtm
It was never a visual downgrade.

Sure it was. The same way every single Devil May Cry HD collection was a downgrade, removing quite a bit of effects or otherwise screwing up the visuals. That's why I play the PS2 originals despite owning the hd remasters.

In fact this is too common with most remasters.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by cdtm
Sure it was. The same way every single Devil May Cry HD collection was a downgrade, removing quite a bit of effects or otherwise screwing up the visuals. That's why I play the PS2 originals despite owning the hd remasters.

In fact this is too common with most remasters. Play it on Switch, it's literally the PS3/360 versions ported over with a much higher frame-rate and up-resed to 720p while handheld and 900p while docked.

PS4/Xbone/PC are the ones that screwed up the lighting.

Adam Grimes
I had way more trouble with O&S than I did with Grimm. You probably have myopia.

NemeBro
You probably have myopia. Could be. Old King Allant is still in my mind the hardest boss in the Souls series, but it was also my first Souls game. However, I also never replayed it because consoles are gay. I doubt the same is true of NewGuy and Dark Souls.

NewGuy01
I find that really bizarre, coming from someone who's done a soul level 1 playthrough of Dark Souls and spanked O and S's asses.

I wouldn't even say they're the hardest boss in Dark Souls.

I suppose that makes you better than me at Dark Souls, then. Although I was specifically referring to my experience from my first playthrough before (for fairness' sake), I still had a fair bit of trouble with them in my subsequent runs. Moreso than any of the other DS1 bosses. Perhaps it's because my completed builds in the late-game tended to be overpowered compared to my still-nascent builds in Anor Londo?

Being someone who has done a SL1 playthrough, though, it doesn't surprise me that you had the opposite experience. It's natural that the gulf between a SL1 and the end-game bosses would be wider than the gulf between a SL1 and a mid-game boss.

Putting aside O&S, did Grimm give really you so much trouble? Granted, it took some persistence, but I remember finding the fight to be less frustrating than I was expecting it to be, what with all of the hype surrounding it. Maybe I'd have felt differently if it wasn't so painless to get back to the boss room after dying.

Adam Grimes
Could be. Old King Allant is still in my mind the hardest boss in the Souls series, but it was also my first Souls game. However, I also never replayed it because consoles are gay. I doubt the same is true of NewGuy and Dark Souls. My first Souls game was Bloodborne and I went balls deep into DS after I got the platinum.

I didn't find any of the main game bosses too hard tbh... Artorias and Chalamet were a nice challenge though.

Jmanghan
My first Souls game was Bloodborne and I went balls deep into DS after I got the platinum.

I didn't find any of the main game bosses too hard tbh... Artorias and Chalamet were a nice challenge though. Chalamet.

I'm surprised you found them harder then Manus or Ornstein & Smough, those were my biggest challenges in the game.

Adam Grimes
Chalamet lmao.

ares834

Adam Grimes
I don't think any of the DS1 bosses would make it to the top 10 in the Souls series as far as difficulty is concerned.

ares834
It's impossible for me to judge as DS1 was the first Souls game I played and, therefore, I had far more difficulty with it than with any of the follow ups.

NemeBro
Originally posted by ares834
It's impossible for me to judge as DS1 was the first Souls game I played and, therefore, I had far more difficulty with it than with any of the follow ups. Wait, then who do you find difficult in Dark Souls 1?

NewGuy01
I don't think any of the DS1 bosses would make it to the top 10 in the Souls series as far as difficulty is concerned.

I don't disagree. NKG wouldn't make my top 10 either, though.

NemeBro
I don't disagree. NKG wouldn't make my top 10 either, though. Who would?

Adam Grimes
I don't disagree. NKG wouldn't make my top 10 either, though. Who would?

cdtm
Who would?

The weird ghost that shoots energy balls at you.

Thing was a pain at that point in the game, for someone who went all in melee especially.

Jmanghan
Artorias is tremendously easy if you can stop his enchantment, which takes like one hit from a greatsword, lol.

Kalameet is easy... if you use enchantments. I however tried to tackle both him and Manus with a Divine Zweihander, not realizing that was a pretty shit route to take.

Adam Grimes
The weird ghost that shoots energy balls at you.

Thing was a pain at that point in the game, for someone who went all in melee especially. You mean the one that looks like you but deader?

I hate the ghost that shoots his arms at you.

Adam Grimes
Artorias is tremendously easy if you can stop his enchantment, which takes like one hit from a greatsword, lol.

Kalameet is easy... if you use enchantments. I however tried to tackle both him and Manus with a Divine Zweihander, not realizing that was a pretty shit route to take. Everyone is easy if you're an endgame Mage or Pyromancer.

Jmanghan
Everyone is easy if you're an endgame Mage or Pyromancer. That's like using gameshark..

Melee only skrub.

Jmanghan
I feel like this is the most active a thread has been in years.

Anyway, apparently everyone hates the remaster, what are ya'lls complaints about it?

From what I can see they only ruined the sound and lighting while improving the frame-rate and a bunch of textures?

That's fine for me if I can get across Blighttown without feeling like it's a slideshow.

Adam Grimes
That's like using gameshark..

Melee only skrub. Nah, Quality builds also make the game too easy.

ares834
Wait, then who do you find difficult in Dark Souls 1?

Capra Demon was the one I spent the most time on (I didn't know how to cheese him).

However, a big part of this for me wasn't because of the boss itself but all the mobs you had to fight before getting to him. I was playing a character with a big heavy slow sword and, at this point, I still had shit poise because of my lack of armor. So those assassins and dogs would often interrupt my attacks and **** me up.

cdtm
You mean the one that looks like you but deader?

I hate the ghost that shoots his arms at you.

A giant moth, I think?

Past the area with giant rock roman gladiator like things.

I kind of stopped playing it after I ran into that boss, but not because of the boss. More because I kept trying to fight those baby dragons and sucking enough where I got frustrated.

To be honest, if I put in half as much effort at Dark Souls as I did at Everspace, I'd probably have beaten it several times over. It's just I never really felt like I knew what I was doing in terms of builds, I just ran around with a Zweihander all the time, and barely put anything in stats because I read something about needing to be low level, for something pvp related.. Never did the pvp.

Adam Grimes
Mmh the only giant moth is The Radiance lol.

NewGuy01
I think he's talking about the Moonlight Butterfly, actually. I was confused at first, too.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by ares834
Capra Demon was the one I spent the most time on (I didn't know how to cheese him).

However, a big part of this for me wasn't because of the boss itself but all the mobs you had to fight before getting to him. I was playing a character with a big heavy slow sword and, at this point, I still had shit poise because of my lack of armor. So those assassins and dogs would often interrupt my attacks and **** me up.

Capra Demon was so poorly designed, you don't lose to it because you couldn't "git gud", you lose to it because it's bullshit and objectively unfair.

The Centipede Demon is also BS.

Jmanghan
A giant moth, I think?

Past the area with giant rock roman gladiator like things.

I kind of stopped playing it after I ran into that boss, but not because of the boss. More because I kept trying to fight those baby dragons and sucking enough where I got frustrated.

To be honest, if I put in half as much effort at Dark Souls as I did at Everspace, I'd probably have beaten it several times over. It's just I never really felt like I knew what I was doing in terms of builds, I just ran around with a Zweihander all the time, and barely put anything in stats because I read something about needing to be low level, for something pvp related.. Never did the pvp.

If you never did PvP why run around with low stats? Also who the hell told you not to have high stats for PvP?

Stats, while not nearly important as skill, are a big deal for first-time players. It's also arguably more important for PvP, not that it matters because the latency is awful and backstabs are abundant (and annoying). Plus the hitboxes are ****ed in all versions of the game.

Also, Moonlight Butterfly is one of the easiest bosses in the game for both melee and magic.

Khazra Reborn
Lag back stabs make pvp unplayable for me in DS1. DS3 is definitely the way to go for pvp.

NewGuy01
Didn't have many great PVP experiences in DS3. Usually it amounted to both parties rolling at each other for several minutes, and throwing the occasional swing, praying that it would catch the other person out of their i-frames.

Granted, I don't play any of these games for the PVP, so my experiences are limited. But I think I preferred the more limited agility of the previous games. Easier to punish, but harder to get away with mistakes. I remember having some particularly fun bouts in DS2.

Jmanghan
Didn't have many great PVP experiences in DS3. Usually it amounted to both parties rolling at each other for several minutes, and throwing the occasional swing, praying that it would catch the other person out of their i-frames.

Granted, I don't play any of these games for the PVP, so my experiences are limited. But I think I preferred the more limited agility of the previous games. Easier to punish, but harder to get away with mistakes. I remember having some particularly fun bouts in DS2. Dude whats your steam? Pm me.

cdtm
I think he's talking about the Moonlight Butterfly, actually. I was confused at first, too.

Must be it.

Just flying out of reach throwing glowing balls at you.

NewGuy01
Dude whats your steam? Pm me.
y tho

Jmanghan
y tho Becuz. Cuz..

We KMC'ers have to stick together.

So far I sent a dick pic to Walshy, Nemebro and Adam Grimes, you're next on the list bucko.

Jmanghan
Don't be a stick in the mud damnit.

Jmanghan
Edit: Okay decided to make a normal post.

How is Gwyn in terms of hardness? Because I've heard while he's a great boss, he isn't super hard like the others. Although I guess it depends on who you're comparing it to.

I reckon he'll be easier then Kalameet, Artorias, Manus, and O&S, but harder then everything else.

Jmanghan
Gwyn was easy asf.

Parrying ruins him as a boss, but he did give me a few deaths.

Woot, nearly 10 years later and I've finally completed DkS and its DLC.

...Now to DkS2 and DkS3.

StyleTime
Nah, Quality builds also make the game too easy.
thumb up
Strength builds as well.

People also forget that Great Shields trivialize most of the game. Even high stability medium shields make many scary attacks suddenly laughable.

Jmanghan
Actually, I did most of this run without multiplayer. MOST OF, I did do some pvp runs and I helped some dude kill Artorias.

Is it worth it to do another run with multiplayer help?

NewGuy01
but why

Jmanghan
but why

I enjoyed my playthrough but I feel like I didn't get everything out of my time with it.

I guess I mean it was apparently the most influential and well-received game in the series.

NewGuy01
I mean, replaying if you want to try a different build or something is one thing, but I'm not sure if it's worthwhile to play through again just to co-op against bosses you've already beaten by yourself.

Jmanghan
I mean, replaying if you want to try a different build or something is one thing, but I'm not sure if it's worthwhile to play through again just to co-op against bosses you've already beaten by yourself. Word, I see your point.

I guess I figured when I beat it'd be this mindblowing experience for me and while I do really enjoy it I find myself liking it less then both Dragon's Dogma and even Skyrim, and I get that's a personal thing, maybe it's because I took breaks? Idk.

StyleTime
^ It's okay to like other games more than you did this one.

On my first run, I played entirely co-op with a friend of mine and it was fun. You might enjoy it depending on who plays with you.

In any DS game, I also tend to make Sunbros to help players with difficult bosses/stages. I often do roleplay of pre-existing DS characters, like Beatrice or Leeroy. You might enjoy that. It adds a little spice to the experience, co-op or single player. It's kinda fun to limit yourself in some way.

Or get into PvP. It can be pretty fun.

Jmanghan
What exactly will the Age of Dark do to the world, btw? Like is everyone just gonna become hollowed or...?

NewGuy01
What exactly will the Age of Dark do to the world, btw? Like is everyone just gonna become hollowed or...?
Look to Oolacile, and to the Untended Graves.

StyleTime
Yeah, many believe Untended Graves to be an alternate world where the Age of Dark "won" out.

Many details of the Age of Dark aren't completely clear, apart from being a time where humanity rules. According to Kaathe, it was already underway before Gwyn got all scared and linked the Flame.

That said, I'm no expert. I love Souls lore, but the true Dark Souls Lore Theorists are much more invested in this, having uncovered a lot of obscure information about the series. VaatiVidya, literally, has a full time career doing Dark Souls lore videos. Here's his channel if you weren't already aware of him. Might help discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe0DNp0mKMqrYVaTundyr9w

cdtm

It's funny, I think NKG broke me, because I can not deal with even moderate difficulty anymore.

Still haven't beaten The Radiant.

hayama
My friend invited me to play that game because its interesting game for me. I am fan of esport and especially in csgo rankings https://tips.gg/csgo/teams/ and teams. I also want to use to play into csgo contest one day too.

Deano
My first ever souls game. Absolutely love it

jackgambler
A revolution in cryptocurrency betting has been created. It is very cool that cryptocurrency is supported here as a way to pay for bets. I want to be modern and follow everything new, so this is the best option for me! Also, money is sent to me thanks to crypto wallets. Bitcoin bookmakers allow me to accept deposits in BTC and other cryptocurrencies. These advantages give me better betting knowledge. All transfers happen through a digital database called blockchain and it is not controlled by any central authority. These transfers are also encrypted, so you don't have to share your personal and financial information. So thank you very much!

Tzeentch
I'll create my foot up your ass.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Tzeentch
I'll create my foot up your ass. lol

Arachnid1
Tzeentch, handle this shit ^^^^

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.