Angels of Death

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheVaultDweller
While Eisenhorn seems to be taking a long time to get going (and the current global situation isn't helping), this has steadily been making progress. And now we have a proper trailer. There was a teaser before this IIRC, but there wasn't much to that one. This one gives a much better idea of what to expect, at least in terms of style/visuals:

ijg-4YBK_qs

Looks like Blood Angels vs Tyranids for the most part.

Huh, there was actually a first proper trailer too. I only saw some short, few-seconds clip a few months ago, but this is not that:

aFiek1v2Ll4

The "False Angels" comment makes me think there is maybe some Chaos forces in there too.

Robtard
Will also check this one out. Loving that there now three (?) WH40K related series in the works.

After that god awful 'Ultramarines: A Warhammer 40,000 Movie; we're are owed.

riv6672
The only WARHAMMER related property I like is Gotrek & Felix.

If THAT ever happens.... Happy Dance

cdtm
Originally posted by riv6672

Evem the Space Marines video game?

riv6672
Sorry, none of those things ever interested me.

Gotrek & Felix though, man, that is a GREAT series!

samhain
^I like the Mathias Thulmann stuff too.

riv6672

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Robtard
Will also check this one out. Loving that there now three (?) WH40K related series in the works.

After that god awful 'Ultramarines: A Warhammer 40,000 Movie; we're are owed.

The Ultramarines movie deserves to be given the same treatment as the two Lost Primarchs. It's actually quite a feat that they managed to fit so much awfulness into less than 80 minutes of screen time. Thankfully, it looks like GW learned from their past failure and is taking it a lot more seriously. They actually now have a dedicated group, Warhammer Storyforge, working exclusively on these projects.

Originally posted by riv6672

It could potentially happen. Even though they are starting off with some 40k stuff first, there have been mentions about some Warhammer Fantasy projects being in the pipeline as well.

playa1258
Hope its decent.

TheVaultDweller
Not going to lie. The fact that I can't identify the class of the really big Tyranid ship is bugging me. Because that thing is WAY larger than even a Tyranid Hive Ship, scaling off the Sword of Baal, as Space Marine Strike Cruisers tend to roughly be around 3.5km to 4km in length, depending on the Chapter and the modifications that have been made to it, as well as where the ship was forged. I am guessing the Tyranid force is a splinter of Hive Fleet Leviathan though.

Because, appearance-wise, it looks like a Hive Ship from Battlefleet Gothic, but it seems upscaled to an absurd degree, going by what I can make out in the 2nd trailer.

riv6672

Robtard
Originally posted by cdtm
Evem the Space Marines video game?

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine is my favorite Third-Person shooter.

It's a shame the two planned sequels fell through once THQ finally succumbed to financial issues and Games Workshop was in a questionable position as well.

Robtard
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
The Ultramarines movie deserves to be given the same treatment as the two Lost Primarchs. It's actually quite a feat that they managed to fit so much awfulness into less than 80 minutes of screen time. Thankfully, it looks like GW learned from their past failure and is taking it a lot more seriously. They actually now have a dedicated group, Warhammer Storyforge, working exclusively on these projects.

That's all good news. Going half-ass again is going to stain any future interests for a long time.

TheVaultDweller
I enjoyed playing the older THQ 40k Dawn of War games, mainly due to things like Firestorm over Kronus/Firestorm over Kaurava/Purgation of Kaurava, which made them much closer to the Tabletop game. Though the Kronus iteration was only good for skirmish mode, as it broke elements of the campaign quest due to the changes made to some of the units. The other DOW games that came after were a resounding meh IMO. I still recall I got the 3rd one on Steam on sale for dirt cheap, played it for like an hour, got bored and never went back to it. Some of the canon is the base DOW games was hilariously bad though. Literally had psykers/sorcerors worshiping Khorne lol. And, of course, METAL BAWKSES!

Robtard
I liked Dawn of War II. At least I think that was the one I played.

TheVaultDweller
A lot of my issues with those games have to do with how they kind of stomp on established canon (even more so than the first string of games IMO), both from a story and gameplay perspective. In fact, one of my main gripes with the DoW 2 series is that, from a narrative army balance perspective, they make little sense. Especially Chaos Rising. Because it's kind of ridiculous how a tiny crew of Blood Ravens (like portions of 2 or 3 companies IIRC) can literally steamroll through several hundred/thousand Black Legion Chaos Marines when, from a canonical perspective, that should never happen. Plus, the squad sizes were ridiculously small. Even Space Marine combat squads (which are reduced from full squad size) are larger than any of the ones you command at any point. 3 Assault Marines does not a squad make. And Jonah Orion's voice actor made it sound to me as if the Librarian was constantly trying to hold back from shitting in his armor. And not out of fear but out of constipation.

That being said, DoW 2: Retribution probably did give me my favourite character from the whole series, Kaptin Bluddflagg. I find the fact that he committed his entire Waaagh into a fullscale campaign against multiple other factions pretty much purely because he liked the Inquisitor's hat and wanted to have it highly amusing. It's just so Orky lol. And I did like the relatively fast pace of the games, where you often had to rapidly switch between squads and skills/abilities to effectively utilise everyone under your command.

TheVaultDweller
For those still interested, this actually started airing in August. But full disclosure, I got tired of trying to find out where the fuk you can actually stream it so I just torrented the first five episodes, which is what's out so far.

-Pr-
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
For those still interested, this actually started airing in August. But full disclosure, I got tired of trying to find out where the fuk you can actually stream it so I just torrented the first five episodes, which is what's out so far.

Is it because of that awful ****ing Warhammer+ app?

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by -Pr-
Is it because of that awful ****ing Warhammer+ app?

In part, yes. I just got to a point where I went, "Screw it. I'm torrenting this shit." Though only after I'd already torrented it did I notice the Warhammer TV site, so no idea how well that works. It's stupid though. Because when you search for how to watch it, you either get a bunch of misinformation or get linked to trailers on YouTube. Nothing about going to the Warhammer TV site itself.

On a related note, it appears Hammer and Bolter also has 6 episodes out. I think I made a thread about that show a while back as well.

Robtard
Watched all 10 eps of 'Angels of Death', enjoyed it. Best portrayal of Space Marines on TV thus far.

Watched the 7 of 'Hammer and Bolter' anthology series that are out, mixed bag, but overall enjoyed,.

TheVaultDweller
Watched all 10 eps of 'Angels of Death', enjoyed it. Best portrayal of Space Marines on TV thus far.

Watched the 7 of 'Hammer and Bolter' anthology series that are out, mixed bag, but overall enjoyed,.

Angels of Death is solid, but it's clearly made specifically for people already familiar with W40K. Same with Hammer and Bolter. So, I don't think they'll be bringing any new fans in with these shows.

And yeah, some of the stories in Hammer and Bolter are good, but some are resoundingly meh and felt like a chore to sit through. And maybe I've been spoiled by shows like Arcane and Castlevania, which are visually excellent, but I felt like the animation was very lazy at a lot of points.

Robtard
Overall agreed, while I do believe it will bring in some fans, it's core will be people who are very familiar with the franchise as they did very little in explaining the backstory and lore, which will turn the uninitiated away. They should have had one ep dedicated to lore. If you're new to WH40K, you'll miss a lot.

I think it's a money issue, they're scared too invest too much in an unknown (and Blood Angels ate up the budget?), but then the product suffers and turns people away, like that God Emperor cursed 'Ultramarines: A Warhammer 40,000 Movie' (2010), which looked like it was animated by a coupe middle school kids during computer class.

Just hope this doesn't completely crash and burn in it's nascence, want it to do well where they have tons of content and the $$$ to make it better.

Robtard
You've seen this I assume?

O7hgjuFfn3A

link

Apparently Games Workshop has hired the creator to do more content. IMO, for a lone guy working at home, it's very impressive.

TheVaultDweller
Overall agreed, while I do believe it will bring in some fans, it's core will be people who are very familiar with the franchise as they did very little in explaining the backstory and lore, which will turn the uninitiated away. They should have had one ep dedicated to lore. If you're new to WH40K, you'll miss a lot.

I think it's a money issue, they're scared too invest too much in an unknown (and Blood Angels ate up the budget?), but then the product suffers and turns people away, like that God Emperor cursed 'Ultramarines: A Warhammer 40,000 Movie' (2010), which looked like it was animated by a coupe middle school kids during computer class.

Just hope this doesn't completely crash and burn in it's nascence, want it to do well where they have tons of content and the $$$ to make it better.

Yeah, there's a lot of stuff in both shows that people not familiar with the lore will completely miss.

I'm not really sure what GW is thinking right now. They seem to want to move forward with a lot of stuff, but they seem reluctant to fork out the cash to make it worthwhile. They recently released an update regarding the Eisenhorn TV show, which got massively delayed because of Covid, and also mentioned about "a number of further exciting live action and animated projects in development." So, I hope they will be willing to commit with proper financing. Because the Eisenhorn novels could be pretty spectacular if adapted properly.

Interestingly, Henry Cavill said recently that he'd love to star in a live-action Warhammer 40K project, providing GW is willing to commit the money and resources to do it justice.

You've seen this I assume?

O7hgjuFfn3A

link

Apparently Games Workshop has hired the creator to do more content. IMO, for a lone guy working at home, it's very impressive.

Yeah, I've seen the Astartes stuff. It's really good, especially if you consider the production limitations. There are a couple of others as well, like the Lord Inquisitor stuff, which is also pretty great. Hopefully, GW can recruit a bunch of these guys and get them working on projects.

On a related note, there's a full length Helsreach movie, which I think was also made by an independent team, available on YouTube. It's a blend of different animation styles. Can just search on YouTube for "Helsreach movie" and it should be the first result.

Robtard
Yeah, recently found out that Cavill is a HUGE WH40K, he'd make a decent Ultramarine. He should really use his contacts in the film industry to nudge some film studio to collaborate with GW in a live action film.

I'll look into that, thanks for the recommend thumb up

TheVaultDweller
Cavill could actually pull off a younger Eisenhorn as well. The most current Eisenhorn is old and battered, but his younger self is described as being fairly tall (though not a giant) and well-muscled, with dark hair. Hell, he could even possibly do a pre-Thracian Primaris Gideon Ravenor.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.