Resident Evil 4 Remake

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.



Arachnid1
https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/resident-evil-4-remake/

Take this as a rumor until Capcom themselves confirm it. I see people calling VGC reliable as far as leaks go, but I'm not aware of them.

To this day, RE4 is my favorite game of all time. I'll be there day one for the collectors edition. I'm also one of those people who thinks the original RE4 was a "lightning in a bottle" kind of situation. I'm not sure they could recreate the same pacing and magic without doing a 1:1 remake (which I don't want since I always can and always do replay the OG game; I actually want them to make it more of a horror focus and maybe take the series in a new direction tonally consistent with recent games).

https://media.giphy.com/media/cB1xhokA3h33i/giphy.gif

cdtm
Thought it was ok back in the day.


I had way more fun with God Hand then RE4, which came out around the same time.

Smasandian
Originally posted by Arachnid1
https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/resident-evil-4-remake/

Take this as a rumor until Capcom themselves confirm it. I see people calling VGC reliable as far as leaks go, but I'm not aware of them.

To this day, RE4 is my favorite game of all time. I'll be there day one for the collectors edition. I'm also one of those people who thinks the original RE4 was a "lightning in a bottle" kind of situation. I'm not sure they could recreate the same pacing and magic without doing a 1:1 remake (which I don't want since I always can and always do replay the OG game; I actually want them to make it more of a horror focus and maybe take the series in a new direction tonally consistent with recent games).

https://media.giphy.com/media/cB1xhokA3h33i/giphy.gif

If this is true, it will be a 1:1 remake.

And that's OK. I would be happy with a complete graphic overhaul. New 4K textures with HDR and ray tracing would make this already incredible game..even better.

Adam Grimes
I hope it doesn't happen.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Smasandian
If this is true, it will be a 1:1 remake.

And that's OK. I would be happy with a complete graphic overhaul. New 4K textures with HDR and ray tracing would make this already incredible game..even better. It seems like it should be true. They claim their multiple sources are all from the development team. Unless the dude who wrote the article is straight up lying, this is as close to a confirmation as we'll get until Capcom announces it.

I wouldn't mind a 1:1 graphical update with some quality of life improvements (we'll have to ditch stationary shooting which means overhauling combat aggressiveness of enemies), but IMO they should just use this as a chance to reboot the series action slant that RE4 caused. I think making the main characters more grounded is the only way to bring them back as protagonists in future horror installments. That way, they can tie in RE7 and on with the new direction and just retcon 5 and 6 to give us a proper 'End of Umbrella' game instead of doing that offscreen before RE4.

I'd also like them to expand the castle with a more horror oriented approach. A castle ruled by a cult has some pretty fantastic horror potential that OGRE4 never capitalized on. Then again, I'm conflicted with the idea because it means either cutting out or completely reworking Salazar. IMO he was the best villain in the original game (actually one of my favorite villains in the series, just behind Wesker; fantastic dynamic with Leon), but there is no denying his campy ridiculousness.

I'd also love an expanded village section. It is, IMO, one of the most atmospheric settings in the entire series so I'd like to spend more time in it. On the other hand, the island is IMO one of the worst settings in the series and would benefit from a complete rework or setting change. Ashley's character could also use a rework.

Smasandian
RE4 remake will happen. If they have done RE2 and RE3, there is no way Capcom doesn't do it in the next 10 years. It's big business.

RE7 was the reboot. It's horror slanted and doesn't feature a ton of action. In fact, if you turn RE7 into a 3rd person viewpoint, it's fairly similar to Resident Evil games prior to RE4.

Trocity
Just beat the game for the umpteenth time late last year. Bought the 10 or 15 dollar one off the PlayStation store. My favourite RE game by far, and one of my favourite games ever.

Way better than a lot of the games that were out around the same time, games like God Hand, etc.

Smasandian
I was going to play it again but Capcom does not have backward compatibility for the Xbox 360 version. I'm not paying mid 20's for the Xbox One version...when there is most likely a remake coming down the pipeline.

cdtm
Originally posted by Smasandian
I was going to play it again but Capcom does not have backward compatibility for the Xbox 360 version. I'm not paying mid 20's for the Xbox One version...when there is most likely a remake coming down the pipeline.


Yeah that would be stupid.


I guess they learned their lesson when GTA San Andreas had backwards compatibility beside a bad remake.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Arachnid1
I wouldn't mind a 1:1 graphical update with some quality of life improvements (we'll have to ditch stationary shooting which means overhauling combat aggressiveness of enemies), but IMO they should just use this as a chance to reboot the series action slant that RE4 caused. I think making the main characters more grounded is the only way to bring them back as protagonists in future horror installments. That way, they can tie in RE7 and on with the new direction and just retcon 5 and 6 to give us a proper 'End of Umbrella' game instead of doing that offscreen before RE4.
RE5 was way too successful for them to consider retconning, despite how polarized it may have been following 4. I'd argue there's more interesting potential in remaking it than 4 even. i.e. Have an RE5make be more or less the original vision far as the campaign with solo Chris. You can still have the mercenaries and other modes for co-op and stuff but just have the campaign be what it was originally supposed to.

I'll give you that on 6 though. It didn't leave behind much a dent or anything despite having some cool ideas here and there, so I'd be fine with it going if it were to come to that.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by cdtm
Thought it was ok back in the day.


I had way more fun with God Hand then RE4, which came out around the same time. Both are great games.

Ridley_Prime
Watch them remove all the "non realistic" stuff for an RE4make; no merchant, and all of the classic remarks Leon makes will simply be replaced with repeated "Shit!" and f-bombs.

Nemesis X
I dunno if RE4 needs a full fledge remake like 2 and 3 got. I thought it was perfect the way it was and say what some will about it's action, the horror helped even it out IMO. Call me if they revive that Hook Man prototype though. Then we can talk.

It shouldn't go without saying too that with how everything in order they kept it so far, remaking RE from 1-3 that they snub Code Veronica which came out before 4. What the frig, Capcom? lol

Kazenji
Yeah, RE4 doesn't need a remake maybe more of a remaster at most

now Code Veronica needs more the remake treatment.

ArtificialGlory
Exactly, Code Veronica needs a remake, not RE4.

Smasandian
Doesn't matter if its it needs a remake...its a question how much money Capcom would make doing so...and they will make a ton.

Ridley_Prime
Capitalism 101 talk aside, other games in the series like Code Veronica do actually need a modern touch more than RE4. That much is indisputable. If CV still gets its due later, I can be more forgiving of an RE4make existing, but still.

Adam Grimes
RE4 sucks.

Smasandian
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Capitalism 101 talk aside, other games in the series like Code Veronica do actually need a modern touch more than RE4. That much is indisputable. If CV still gets its due later, I can be more forgiving of an RE4make existing, but still.

I assume they are going to do all of the pre-360/PS3 area games. Or at least until 1 does not become profitable.

I would think they would do RE4...if it does well..do Code Veronica after that. I am not sure about Zero...

When I think about it...it would be neat if Code Veronica gets remade because I never got a chance to play it. I could still wait for RE4.

Adam Grimes
I hope Code Veronica gets done first.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Smasandian
I assume they are going to do all of the pre-360/PS3 area games. Or at least until 1 does not become profitable.

I would think they would do RE4...if it does well..do Code Veronica after that. I am not sure about Zero...

When I think about it...it would be neat if Code Veronica gets remade because I never got a chance to play it. I could still wait for RE4.
Aye.

There is always eventually remaking RE5 too with the original vision for the campaign like I said. Is there any reason anyone would not want to see that sometime after an RE4make? Considering all the scrapped concepts that made 5 look very promising before the behind the scene changes that led to the co-op and stuff (you can still have that for things like mercenaries though).

Smasandian
RE5 had its issues but I recently played it with a friend and it was fun.
The first half of it was pretty good but once the it started to become a standard action shooter..than it became less than great.

I don't see them every redoing that game.

And RE6, when I played it for the first time, I enjoyed it. After revisiting it...well..I can only play Leon's campaign.

Impediment
RE2 Remake was good.

RE3 Remake was decent, but lacking.

RE4 is one of the greatest video games ever made, even if Saddler was a weak AF final boss.

A remake of this game would have to be 100% from the ground up with full use of all potential.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Smasandian
RE5 had its issues but I recently played it with a friend and it was fun.
The first half of it was pretty good but once the it started to become a standard action shooter..than it became less than great.

I don't see them every redoing that game.

And RE6, when I played it for the first time, I enjoyed it. After revisiting it...well..I can only play Leon's campaign.
I mean the game industry's already been heavily reliant on remakes as of late, and if we're entering an era of remakes that are not really warranted but will happen anyway because they know it'll make money and diehard fans of the original will eat them up, then it makes sense to follow through doing one with RE5 sometime after 4 with how successful it was also, especially with all the untapped potential that 5 had.

Fair enough on RE6 though. I don't really see how they could improve or redeem that game with a remake unless they just straight up retconned/rebooted it.

-Pr-
My issues with RE4 were almost all related to the story/design choices, but the "tank" controls? Yeah, I'd be perfectly fine with those being updated.

Though I think the combat would have to be reworked. RE4 had proper hitbox values and such. The two remakes thus far have been kind of wonky that way.

Kazenji
Tank controls for the 4th game?...They didn't feel like those to me when i was playing it

the original RE1 & 2 had tank controls but the 4th didn't feel like that at all.

Smasandian
Yeah, everything would have to be reworked..it might be better but the game was designed for your character to be still while shooting.

Perfectly honest, a graphic update would be more than OK for me....as long as its not full price...

Adam Grimes
Originally posted by Kazenji
Tank controls for the 4th game?...They didn't feel like those to me when i was playing it

the original RE1 & 2 had tank controls but the 4th didn't feel like that at all. Well, you should look up what tank controls are in the first place then.

RadZoa
Not sure what they can improve on, RE4 was already perfection but we shall see, I am looking forward to it to wipe the taste of RE3 out of my mouth

cdtm
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
Well, you should look up what tank controls are in the first place then.

Even tanks have better controls then RE4 these days.


Dead Rising 1 has similad controls, which can make navigating some hoards and psychopath battles a chore.

Nemesis X
Reminder it's the RE3 team making this according to those rumors and not RE2 or 7's so if they want to make this remake a more scary version of RE4, ya better hope they brush up well on their horror considering Jill's latest adventure they've done was very action packed.

Ridley_Prime
Since it is the same team according to the rumor, I would be just as concerned (if not more) about how much cut content there would likely be. The original RE3 was already kinda in need of more content compared to its two predecessors, but the remake made it have even less (at least at launch). Whose to say they wont do the same with an RE4make, while the rest of the development goes to some online multiplayer mode or something?

Kazenji
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
Well, you should look up what tank controls are in the first place then.

Which i do know what they are, smartass

thats why i just mentioned RE 1 & 2.... roll eyes (sarcastic)

cdtm
That's not tank controls.

Smasandian
RE1 and RE2 doesn't have tank controls?

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Reminder it's the RE3 team making this according to those rumors and not RE2 or 7's so if they want to make this remake a more scary version of RE4, ya better hope they brush up well on their horror considering Jill's latest adventure they've done was very action packed. That isn't entirely accurate. They were a support team (who was only there in the beginning of RE3s development before they switched gears to their new project; this part is in paranthesis because it's a rumor/report from a leaker). They weren't the main team (it was developed in-house by Capcom with multiple other teams lending support).

Another interesting tidbit is that Capcom originally approached Mikami to be founder of M-Two (the name of the company refers to him and Minami is as co-founders) which he turned down due to Ghostwire commitments :/. I remember hearing about that some time ago. It makes sense in hindsight since M-Two has apparently been preparing for RE4s development since 2018. Mikami coming back would have been fantastic.

Ridley_Prime
IcF5W5LoW70

I agree with this video knowing full well that a remake will most likely happen, but it's interesting seeing how divided the internet's been on this as a whole. It's reflected in different video reactions ("remake yes", "don't remake it/don't need it"wink and other communities and social media. Nearly everyone's split on it, and for good reason I guess.

Smasandian
Why does it matter if the remake RE4. It doesn't tarnish the original.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Kazenji
Tank controls for the 4th game?...They didn't feel like those to me when i was playing it

the original RE1 & 2 had tank controls but the 4th didn't feel like that at all.

If I move the left stick left and right and he turns rather than strafes, and if when i pull back (without aiming) he walks back instead of turning and running? I consider that tank controls.

A different camera angle doesn't change that for me.

Adam Grimes
Originally posted by Kazenji
Which i do know what they are, smartass

thats why i just mentioned RE 1 & 2.... roll eyes (sarcastic) No, you didn't know what it was. Now you probably do but for some reason are doubling down on the wrong concept lol.

Adam Grimes
Originally posted by Smasandian
Why does it matter if the remake RE4. It doesn't tarnish the original. I mean, I don't care if they remake that game or not. I just think Code Veronica's must come first.

-Pr-
Yeah. CVX needs it more tbh.

Ridley_Prime
Ecgdwhc8gkw

Ridley_Prime
Not that he would've been picked to be Leon in some cashgrab remake of 4, but R.I.P. Paul Haddad, the voice of the original RE2.

Kazenji
Oh the video is about the original RE 2 Leon voice actor, It's coming up private on my end.

Arachnid1
RIP sad

The dude was still young too.

Nemesis X
All it took was screwing RE3 over for this remake to happen sooner.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-05-15-capcom-changed-nemesis-for-the-resident-evil-3-remake-to-reference-resident-evil-4

It's one thing to reference Las Plagas, it's another when you retcon Neme's origin so he's connected being an artificial version to promo your next game! They're not even hiding it they rushed on purpose!

Arachnid1
It's no big deal IMO. The nemesis parasite being derived from las plagas has been a popular fan theory since RE4 came out. I actually like it. It ties RE4 and the whole plagas incident into the prior games a bit more firmly. Plus, it's not like RE lore was ever anything the devs gave any proper thought to.

On the other hand, it's kind of annoying that Umbrella has to be a part of every little biohazard in the RE world. I did actually kind of enjoy RE4 being its own separate incident.

Smasandian
I agree. I find RE "lore" and overall storyline haphazardly put together over the course of the games.

I always find games from around the PS1 era had a shoehorned overall storyline. I find the same thing with Metal Gear Solid franchise.

Ridley_Prime
Fair point in that the lore was never that deep, but as aforementioned, this retcon basically shows they weren't even hiding that they rushed the RE3 remake to start getting the RE4 one out sooner, so basically just see it as "Here's a sneak peek of the las plaga which you should anticipate next, because to hell with focusing on Jill and the Nemesis' game in making it as good as could be".

We waited well over a decade for the RE2make it happen, and it was more or less worth the wait. So you would think that kind of care, time, and passion would've been put into the RE3make, even with the same engine and some assets used as the RE2 one, but alas. It coming out only a year later after RE2 should've been taken as a hint as to how rushed and unpolished it was gonna be. RE2make even brought back the little stuff like tofu mode, while RE3make couldn't even bring back the mercenaries, RE3 of which was the first game to have that popular mode. The Resistance was an interesting concept, but it's no substitute for what else we could've had.

The issue overall is how much the RE3make got shafted so they could sooner move on to the RE4 one, leaving us with only like half a game for 3. We would've eventually gotten the RE4make regardless from the looks of it, but hope it was worth screwing RE3 over for.

Smasandian
I'm not sure I understand why retconning Nemesis equals rushed RE3 remake.
Maybe I am missing something.

If it was a rush job, wouldn't it be the other way around? Making no changes at all?

This isn't to say RE3 remakes was not rushed, it probably was but I do not understand the connection between RE4 remake and this.

Ridley_Prime
It was rushed because they knew the RE4make that was coming up next (and to be done by the same team no less according to the rumor) would most likely make more money than 3 no matter what content they did or didn't include with the RE3make, so they rushed 3 in order to quickly move on to 4. Greed basically resulted in a half-assed product with the RE3make.

That's my hunch for now anyway.

-Pr-
It was a rushed job that was also outsourced to a team that didn't make RE2R, iirc.

I don't mind lore changes as long as they make sense, and this one makes sense imo. Just kinda feel like 3 is being treated like the red-headed stepchild a bit.

Kazenji
I heard that about Nemesis and the Las Plagas theory, Stupid to do it anyway as RE 4 is set 4 years after the events of RE 3 and Wesker didn't even know anything about the parasite.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Smasandian
I'm not sure I understand why retconning Nemesis equals rushed RE3 remake.
Maybe I am missing something.

If it was a rush job, wouldn't it be the other way around? Making no changes at all?

This isn't to say RE3 remakes was not rushed, it probably was but I do not understand the connection between RE4 remake and this.

Because they didn't do much with 3's campaign yet had time to say you should look forward to the next game, here's a sample Plaga for you to play with.

And rushed it was. Were the RE3 team anywhere remotely faithful, they wouldn't cut the choice mechanic aka Live Selection, the alternate areas, the clock tower, the park, the Gravedigger boss, an encounter with Nemesis as Carlos, Barry Burton's cameo, Nemesis killing Brad which was one of Resident Evil's most iconic moments introducing the big lug, or actually making the game scary.

Originally posted by Kazenji
I heard that about Nemesis and the Las Plagas theory, Stupid to do it anyway as RE 4 is set 4 years after the events of RE 3 and Wesker didn't even know anything about the parasite.

Also if Umbrella knew the parasite's existence, how is it they never tried taking it from Saddler sooner? I'd say they have more than enough resources to get it done.

Kazenji
If Capcom wants to retcon RE storylines, They should Retcon RE 6 out of existence.

Ridley_Prime
It actually hit me recently. RE6 hits kinda close to home now when we have a virus IRL that came from China. That is where the C-virus in 6 originated right? Cant remember now, but a good chunk of the game took place in China regardless, so...

Smasandian
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
It was rushed because they knew the RE4make that was coming up next (and to be done by the same team no less according to the rumor) would most likely make more money than 3 no matter what content they did or didn't include with the RE3make, so they rushed 3 in order to quickly move on to 4. Greed basically resulted in a half-assed product with the RE3make.

That's my hunch for now anyway.

For sure, it seemed rushed. I remember when it was announced it was being released soon...it was surprising.

I just see the retcon as an honest attempt to bridge the series together in a better way.

Is it the same team making RE4? Or is it the RE2 team?

Smasandian
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
It actually hit me recently. RE6 hits kinda close to home now when we have a virus IRL that came from China. That is where the C-virus in 6 originated right? Cant remember now, but a good chunk of the game took place in China regardless, so...

Southern China is also where SARs originated. A much more deadlier disease than COVID-19 but less transmittable.

Considering I lived near Toronto when the outbreak hit, it was scary but I was young so I didn't really understand it.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Smasandian


I just see the retcon as an honest attempt to bridge the series together in a better way.


Yeah this attempt to bridge RE 2/3 with RE 4 makes so much sense.... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Jmanghan
RIP Paul Haddad..

Jmanghan
I picked up the original game again, question... How hard does the game become after you rescue Ashley? Because I've heard some horror stories.

Smasandian
It's not that hard.

I find the hardest part of that game to be the first few hours when you weapons are not upgraded.

I usually upgrade the first handgun, shotgun and rifle completely...and then don't bother with other handguns until the Re9. Don't touch the riot gun and wait until the Striker.

StyleTime
It's been a while since I played RE4, but the thing about Ashely is moreso just making sure she's safe. That might cause some problems sometimes. You can usually make her hide though.

But RE4 also has a hidden dynamic difficulty, so the game responds differently if it thinks you're performing too well or too poorly.

Jmanghan
Beat the game, I'm a bit annoyed lore-wise now though: There should be no way Chris should have been able to fight on par with Leon in RE6, the dude fought evenly with Krauser and is able to fight on par with him, Krauser casually avoiding bullets in the same goddamn way Wesker does.

I'm assuming it was just PIS, because according to RE4 alone, Leon should stomp him into the ground without breaking a sweat. Chris is stronger (I guess?...), but Leon beats him out by a l-o-t in every other category.

Smasandian
But doesn't Chris beat Wesker himself in RE5?

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Smasandian
But doesn't Chris beat Wesker himself in RE5? IIRC he had tons of help and explosives, on the other hand, the mutated Krauser ambushed Leon tons of times and had drones that had guns attached to them, and he still kicked his ass in close-quarters combat through-out the fight.

Even when Krauser uses his crazy blurred speed to try to attack Leon, he dodges it casually.

Smasandian
Hahaha. This is a silly conversation.

Arachnid1
It's a video game message board. Not that silly tbh

Leon's highs are far beyond Chris' (he's a ton more skilled), but his lows are also reeeaaaally low. Remember Leon being nearly killed by the Chief almost instantly every time they encountered eachother? The first time Leon fought the dude, Mendez casually KOed him within seconds. The second time they fought, Mendez was strangling him to death but decided to just let him go since Leon had the parasite in him. The third time the fought (immediately after that), the Chief again had Leon dead to rights but Leon got saved by Ada. The fourth time they fought (the final time), the Chief again had Leon completely helpless as he strangled him, but for some reason decided to toss Leon across the room (CIS) to start a boss fight.

I agree with RE4 Leon beating RE5 Chris in a fight if they have their full arsenals and encounter each other a fair environment. I think Leon would easily take him in a knife fight too. In a H2H fight though, Chris would win without much trouble. The dudes damage soak is off the charts (the beating he took from Wesker), and he's tons stronger.

Smasandian
It's silly because it is a videogame and all these encounters are based on developers trying to make a fun boss fight.

Resident Evil main antagonist is Albert Wesker and Chris beats him.

Ridley_Prime
Or when pre-mutated Krauser beat Leon in a knife fight, who had to be saved by Ada... Also, Wesker > Krauser. Leon would win in a knife fight, but IDK about a gun fight; Chris is an ex marksman. Nonetheless, the RE6 H2H brawl they had was accurate, where Chris landed more hits on Leon, while Leon had to fight defensively.

Smasandian
We are all forgetting when Chris punched a boulder that probably weighed 10 tons.
Into an active volcano...while being chased by a mutated Wesker

Arachnid1
People arguing who would win in a fight between two video game characters on a video game forum isn't really all that crazy. It's just fun speculation. We even have a video game versus forum and a movie versus forum. Both Leon and Chris have even popped up on both. You take their specific feats and compare them.

Leon has just been more consistently impressive.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Smasandian
We are all forgetting when Chris punched a boulder that probably weighed 10 tons.
Into an active volcano...while being chased by a mutated Wesker Yes, it's very impressive, but speed and skill wise, Leon is wayyyy ahead of him.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Arachnid1
It's a video game message board. Not that silly tbh

Leon's highs are far beyond Chris' (he's a ton more skilled), but his lows are also reeeaaaally low. Remember Leon being nearly killed by the Chief almost instantly every time they encountered eachother? The first time Leon fought the dude, Mendez casually KOed him within seconds. The second time they fought, Mendez was strangling him to death but decided to just let him go since Leon had the parasite in him. The third time the fought (immediately after that), the Chief again had Leon dead to rights but Leon got saved by Ada. The fourth time they fought (the final time), the Chief again had Leon completely helpless as he strangled him, but for some reason decided to toss Leon across the room (CIS) to start a boss fight.

I agree with RE4 Leon beating RE5 Chris in a fight if they have their full arsenals and encounter each other a fair environment. I think Leon would easily take him in a knife fight too. In a H2H fight though, Chris would win without much trouble. The dudes damage soak is off the charts (the beating he took from Wesker), and he's tons stronger.

I feel like Leon could have disarmed Krauser btw if Ada hadn't come along.

Leon's damage soak is insane too, but honestly Krauser is a way more impressive combatant, and most likely WAY stronger then Chris is because of his mutations, but Leon was still able to tangle with him and match him in strength.

He's much stronger then Leon yes, but not enough to the point where it's Gorilla vs Human level, and even if so, Leon's done stuff like this:
https://comicvine1.cbsistatic.com/uploads/original/11113/111132618/3918283-http___makeagif.com__media_6-25-2014_pa4s0p.gif

I'm pretty sure he's close to Chris level in strength and way above him in skill and speed. Sure, Krauser isn't as good as Wesker persay, but he's undeniably a Wesker-level opponent, you literally watch him casually dodge point-blank gunfire. The point is Leon was able to fight him in close quarters combat and still fight on par with him, all the while Leon was completely disadvantaged in the main boss fight, with Krauser ambushing him at every turn, using drones that were explosive, and full-auto weapons, while using flash grenades, guns, his knife, and his mutation abilities through-out the fight.

Yet, Leon dodges and at some point physically kicks him backwards in some of the QTE's.

Whereas even with weapons and back-up, Chris failed a bunch of times to reasonably take on Wesker while Wesker was TOYING WITH HIM, that's the big kicker, Wesker toyed with Chris in every. single. fight they had except for the very last one.

Also, be ****ing real, can you see Leon struggling here:
-GpXUrmSbkY

They're fighting like complete amateurs in comparison, Arias turns into a ****ing mutant and Leon axe kicks him in the head and almost beats him later on.

Chris is stronger, cool, awesome, he took down wesker with a grenade launcher, awesome, but he's not beating Leon in H2H, realistically Leon should have been able to take him easier then Jill did.

The best argument you could make is that Chris and Leon knew each other's fighting styles somehow, but as far as a random fight? Yeah no.

I realize this should be in a versus thread (which I might make) but I'm just appalled how humans in general think Chris could reasonably stand with Leon for more then 10 seconds without getting all his bones broken and getting his face bashed in with kicks.

Adam Grimes
Shut the phuck up, jman. Chris one-shots him.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
Shut the phuck up, jman. Chris one-shots him. Stop saying "phuck" all the time and I'll consider it.

Chris sucks at fighting.

Adam Grimes
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Stop saying "phuck" all the time and I'll consider it.

Chris sucks at fighting. He still phucks Leon up. thumb up

Ridley_Prime
How were Chris and Glenn Arias fighting like amateurs there? Yes, Leon very well could've struggled against pre-mutated Glenn just as he did with pre-mutated Krauser. Glenn was not without skill, but once someone's mutated, they just become a big easy target for any experienced RE survivor as history of the series has shown.

The best argument one can make is what's actually canon, and that is their H2H fight where Chris landed more hits on Leon than vice-versa. Also of him note breaking free of Leon's grab and throwing him.

tUfwKspEbZU

What happened on screen > your opinion. smile

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
How were Chris and Glenn Arias fighting like amateurs there? Yes, Leon very well could've struggled against pre-mutated Glenn just as he did with pre-mutated Krauser. Glenn was not without skill, but once someone's mutated, they just become a big easy target for any experienced RE survivor as history of the series has shown.

The best argument one can make is what's actually canon, and that is their H2H fight where Chris landed more hits on Leon than vice-versa. Also of him note breaking free of Leon's grab and throwing him.

tUfwKspEbZU

What happened on screen > your opinion. smile I'm not confident that Leon would have struggled slightly against Glenn Arias.

Also, Chris gets his ass kicked all the time, not just by Wesker a ton of times through-out the series, he got his ass beat by Jill more than once IIRC, he lost to Glenn Arias there.

If you watch Leon or Ada's fight against Svetlana they just seem like they're on a completely different level compared to Chris and Glenn:
9IBcyeIYvdQ

There was no "pre-mutated Krauser", the knife fight was Krauser using his enhanced stats. I don't buy that he absolutely required Ada's help there, btw, he was doing just fine beforehand.

Also, yes, I realize that happens in RE6, my argument was that it was ridiculous that Chris could keep up with Leon. Like it or not Leon has just been far ahead of him skill-wise. By RE4 I'd bet hundreds of dollars, had Wesker been a boss, Leon would have been able to keep up with him in a knife fight.

But sure, let's keep saying how big, strong and roided out he is like that matters just as much as skill and speed, or pretend that Chris hits harder than the beings that have punted Leon into the stratosphere.

My point though, is that Leon should have been the one landing more hits then Leon, not the other way around, but when Chris grabbed him or landed a hit it should have done more damage.

Also, did Chris even land a hit? It looks like Leon blocked those knees.

Leon has been consistently more impressive on-screen, except for a few moments where he got embarrassed by the giant mutated chieften. Which, to me, I used to think was ridiculous, but the dude is a goddamn unit and Leon tried to roundhouse him like a moron. The second time he was completely blind-sided by him and there's no reason Leon should be stronger then this massive, mutated Ganado chieften.

Ridley_Prime
No regular human in RE is much of a match for Wesker without nerfing/injecting him, and Jill was physically enhanced by the P30 device that was controlling her; Chris didn't want to hurt her but save her. That was the only time they "fought", and lost to Glenn? Chris threw him off the building at the end of the video you posted.

Krauser was clearly about to stab Leon before Ada stepped in, and if he already had enhanced stats at the point, all the more that it was good she was there to save him.

Krauser was impressive but Wesker was on a different level. Krauser was but a pawn of he who transcended humanity. Wesker would destroy Leon even if he kept up with him a bit at first, and you would owe me those hundred dollars. Unless we're just gonna ignore Wesker's feats, since that's what you seem to do in favor of the character you argue for.

I don't disagree that Leon beats Chris under the right conditions (said in my first post that Leon would win in a knife fight), but all you're doing is lowballing Chris rather than giving a fair honest debate. erm Their stalemate fight in RE6 happened, like it or not.

Ridley_Prime
Oh, and if we're including gameplay mechanics since you seem to be doing so for Leon, Chris can react to and counter Wesker, and do a haymaker combo on him.

gF98_wE3NY8

But yes, let's pretend he can't fight worth a damn. smile

BackFire
So there was some potentially leaked information about this game a few days ago. No idea how accurate it is. The most interesting information in said leak was that you will be able to play the RE4 remake in first person mode or third person mode.

I think that would be cool if true. And would make subsequent playthroughs more interesting by adding more variety.

Other possible tidbits were things like the game would be even longer than the original, and that the same voice actor who played Leon in the RE2 Remake would come back for this.

Ridley_Prime
Wow, sounds like they're actually putting in effort unlike their previous remake (will never forgive 3 thumb down ). I would mostly only play in 3rd person if this is true and I was to get it, but cool for them to give you the option. Probably what they should've done to begin with since 7.

Arachnid1
Just chiming in to say Leon would beat Chris in a full out fight (only take movies or cutscenes are cannon BTW; little gameplay scripts that may or may not have happened don't really make sense as feats). People keep saying Chris "beat" Wesker, but I think we should examine the context of their encounters. Chris got hilariously stomped every encounter he had with Wesker, right from their first fight in Code Veronica. Chris had help from post RE3 Jill the next time he fought Wesker, and this time they both got stomped. Chris almost died only to be saved, and Jill basically did die (though survived due to Weskers experimentation). Then, every time he fought Wesker in RE5, he had help from Sheva and they both still got hilariously stomped. There were multiple times Wesker had Chris dead to rights but didn't kill him due to villain monologuing. There was one point where he literally had a gun to Chris' head. The only reason he beat Wesker at the end was Weskers bonding with Uroburos taking away his speed and effectively making him manageable. Even then, Chris had to be given a rocket launcher to stop Wesker from dragging his chopper into the lava. Chris was never once made out to be Wesker's equal. Not even close.

Leon taking out Krauser was more impressive. Not only was he solo, he was completely taken by surprise and at a disadvantage both times. Krauser was faster and stronger than he was by a ton, and they both had comparable training. Their final boss fight was an arena laced out with traps and all kinds of advantages for Krauser. Even their first fight that ended with Ada saving Leon was them fighting nearly even, and that was an already mutated Krauser.

Leon did as well against Krauser in their fights through pure skill. That's more impressive than Chris getting stomped by Wesker five times. So was Leon being a lone operative for almost the entirety of RE4. Chris always had help from one of his partners or various BSAA field operatives.

Chris even needed a partner and two miniguns to take out a single El Gigante. Leon took out multiple solo throughout the game, and one point even fought two at the same time. Chris needed a partner and miniguns to take out the water BOW he and Sheva encountered in RE5. Leon used harpoons to beat his (though there's an obvious size difference so that second point is kind of badly illustrated; just pointing out how Leon always feels like he succeeds as an underdog).

All this is before we even get into all the movies. Leon was the lead in every single one, so that's afforded him all kinds of insane feats. Remember him getting smacked a football field away into a metal wall by the G-monster in Degeneration? Or the insane abuse he took from the Tyrant in Damnation? Or the close quarters battle he had with the intelligent tyrant in Vendetta (this one was flat out ridiculous, and we've never seen Chris do something like this)? He's even got the Infinite Darkness show coming next month which will probably give him even more ridiculous showings.

People are also ignoring the context of their RE6 encounter while twisting what was shown on screen. Chris was on a warpath trying to kill Ada the entire time. Leon was clearly just trying to control the situation and calm him down. That entire fight also showed them to be obviously even since I'm assuming the devs didn't want to piss off fans of either. Leon dodged Chris haymaker, Chris dodged his sweeping kick, grappling started (which is something Chris really should have had no problem with), Chris tried to knee Leon twice which Leon blocked both times, Leon twisted out of Chris grab, Chris threw Leon out of his grab, Leon rolled out of the throw, and they both got their guns up at the exact same time. There was no damage put out either way, and the only one who was indisputably going all out was Chris. Keep in mind that this was a straight out H2H fight, which IMO Chris should have bodied Leon in.

Chris is great, but Leon is on another level

Ridley_Prime
Chris was able to start adapting and reacting to Wesker when he began being weakened after the injection, during the QTE airship part before Uroboros. That's when Wesker started being manageable, no longer being the one in control. If the opposite was true, he wouldn't of need to merge with Uroboros, but the transformation at the volcano sealed the deal on his demise either way. But yeah, plenty of PIS and bad writing went into how Wesker was fought and beaten, which diminished Chris's victory there. Part of the problem was Wesker (especially by the time of 5) being just uber by RE standards who was far above anyone previously fought in the series (Krauser, etc), but they still could've shown a more believable tactful way of Chris taking him down. The original version & storyboard of 5 would've fit that bill, before they added Sheva into everything to "prove their weren't racist" after the initial controversy the game got... But is what it is.

With how the Chris vs Leon thing had heated for the years prior to 6, it was obvious from the start that having them fight in a stalemate in that game was Capcom's answer to it, to avoid pissing off fans of either side. And that's fine. They clearly value both characters, having remained staples.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.