Magik vs Scarlet Witch

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
Would the SS work on Wanda's level of magic?

Magnon
It's worked on pretty much anything that is magical, including beings such as Dormammu. Assuming Wanda's magic is like the other forms of magic the Soul Sword should work on her as well.

zopzop
Minus ENORMOUS levels of PIS/CIS, Magik would destroy Scarlet Witch.

Sin I AM
Originally posted by zopzop
Minus ENORMOUS levels of PIS/CIS, Magik would destroy Scarlet Witch.

Why high levels? They arent that far apart.

cdtm
How does Magik ever lose, if she's that powerful?

Glorificus
Originally posted by cdtm

PIS/CIS. Same as any powerful comic superhero.

Anyways, baring Wanda getting lucky with one of her probability hexes, Magik should win handily.

StyleTime
I've been critical of Magik fans in the past, but I will admit there is some PIS at play.

That said, she gets overstated quite frequently, especially in her normal form. Some of her best feats are also from 30+ years ago, and have been diminished through time. Her telepathic resistance is practically shot at this point, for example, possibly to do the various upgrades of her teammates. Her Soul Sword doesn't magically destroy people, and she's still relatively human: punching her in the face works just fine.

As for the fight, Wanda beat Phoenix Fragment Magik. Wanda's powers screw with the Phoenix, but I don't think Wanda is defenseless here.

ShadowFyre
I didn't even know Magik had been around 30 years

StyleTime
Time creeps up on us all. I think we forget how long ago the 80's were now that we're into 2020.

People born in 2000 are adults now. wacko

Sin I AM

She gets a lot of hype due to limbo shenanigans

Magnon
Magik's power depends a lot on whether she's in Limbo or on Earth (unless this has changed lately). On Earth, she's around high meta or low herald. But in Limbo, she is a hell lord and as such quite equal to the likes of Mephisto or Hela (in their respective realms) i.e. high trans/low skyfather.

The potency of her Soul Sword doesn't seem to depend on where she is, though.

Smurph
Originally posted by StyleTime
I've been critical of Magik fans in the past, but I will admit there is some PIS at play.

That said, she gets overstated quite frequently, especially in her normal form. Some of her best feats are also from 30+ years ago, and have been diminished through time. Her telepathic resistance is practically shot at this point, for example, possibly to do the various upgrades of her teammates. Her Soul Sword doesn't magically destroy people, and she's still relatively human: punching her in the face works just fine.

As for the fight, Wanda beat Phoenix Fragment Magik. Wanda's powers screw with the Phoenix, but I don't think Wanda is defenseless here. She just shouldn't be a part of team books while also being a hell lord with supposedly awesome potential power. She should be either a hell lord or an X-Man, imo, and if it's the former, then leave her as an occasional appearance from the background of the X-universe.

Over-exposure cheapens her character and power level.

Sin I AM
Originally posted by Smurph
She just shouldn't be a part of team books while also being a hell lord with supposedly awesome potential power. She should be either a hell lord or an X-Man, imo, and if it's the former, then leave her as an occasional appearance from the background of the X-universe.

She's ony that powerful in Limbo so it makes sense

Smurph
Originally posted by Sin I AM
She's ony that powerful in Limbo so it makes sense Sure. It made less sense when she internally housed Limbo. But she can also always draw on Limbo's power and always transport herself and others to Limbo in an instant. So we get silly moments like her sitting on the fact that she could have separated Colossus's connection to Cyttorak at any moment.

But I also just haven't bought in to her character writing, and I'm reacting to that too. IMO she'd be more interesting as a former hell lord, current teleporter with a sword and spells... but then they gave that to Pixie instead. Meh.

Sin I AM
Sure. It made less sense when she internally housed Limbo. But she can also always draw on Limbo's power and always transport herself and others to Limbo in an instant. So we get silly moments like her sitting on the fact that she could have separated Colossus's connection to Cyttorak at any moment.

But I also just haven't bought in to her character writing, and I'm reacting to that too. IMO she'd be more interesting as a former hell lord, current teleporter with a sword and spells... but then they gave that to Pixie instead. Meh.

Pixie fits that bill better. Magik is best used sparingly or loki-esque. Like we know she's evil but we are gonna trust her anyway because shes Colossus little sister and a mutie.

Also her soul sword has limits it's not as hax as some would suggest

Smurph

Supermutant
Would the SS work on Wanda's level of magic?

yes. The SS was able to block the magic of a chthon possessed Scarlet Witch.

https://imgur.com/ANtCaKy
https://imgur.com/Ze3yDQn

cdtm
I've got to start hunting down Magik stories. She looks interesting.

Does the SS have any weaknesses? Any way to bypass it?

StyleTime
She just shouldn't be a part of team books while also being a hell lord with supposedly awesome potential power. She should be either a hell lord or an X-Man, imo, and if it's the former, then leave her as an occasional appearance from the background of the X-universe.

I feel that way about several mutants tbh. I wanted Jean to stay Phoenix and get a cosmic series. Emma/Scott is > Jean/Scott anyway. I suspect mutants were never intended to get so high in power, so writers force conventional X-Stories onto folks who are well beyond that.

Which is why I want a permanent Space Squad, or reality jumping squad, of X-Men. The stronger characters get to cut loose more often when they aren't bound by the problems of living amongst more popular Earth heroes. Kinda like Rachel's intergalactic telepathy suddenly failing to track some schmoe on a subway when she returned to Earth...just to make her team seem relevant.

I say round up the more overpowered X-Men and send them on cosmic adventures. They come home for events, or at least really well-written character stuff. All these X-Titles spun out of Hickman's reboot, and none attempted this. Excalibur had an opportunity but botched the line-up. The new X-Factor writer said she will address Rachel's mismatched power level, but I don't have hopes.
Sure. It made less sense when she internally housed Limbo. But she can also always draw on Limbo's power and always transport herself and others to Limbo in an instant. So we get silly moments like her sitting on the fact that she could have separated Colossus's connection to Cyttorak at any moment.

Yeah, Pixie 100% stole Magik's shine. And Tempus to an extent.

Magik at least seems to perform well in Limbo still, but her human form is basically there to fulfill dominatrix fantasies for the reader.
I've got to start hunting down Magik stories. She looks interesting.

Does the SS have any weaknesses? Any way to bypass it?
You bypass it by being a better martial artist and punching her lol. She's a lackluster swordsman.

Smurph

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.