The Simpsons died 20 years ago today

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ayelewis
The final nail in the coffin for The Simpsons was the episode "Kill the Alligator and Run" aired on 30th April 2000. Now, 20 years old, it signalled the diminishing quality of the show.

https://simpsons.fandom.com/wiki/NoHomers.net%27s_50_Worst_episodes

This episode was met with universally negative reception due to the plot of the main episode, and the Simpsons getting arrested multiple times and then banned in nearly all states. It is often cited as one of the worst episodes of the show. In 2006, Nohomers.net named this the worst episode in the history of the show. Some fans have asked for the events of this episode to be rendered non-canon.

One Redditor cites:

"Before today I had only seen bits of this episode. I always feared the day when I'd finally see it in full. Well, it happened. Since I'm currently watching the Season 11 boxset episodes, I decided to finally sit down and just watch it.

It. Is. Abominable.

I expected it to be bad, but not as bad as this. This episode is so inept that it left me frozen with disbelief. It's actually ten times worse than I feared. I had to stop the episode multiple times just to put my face in my hand. From the moment it starts to the moment it finally ends, there was not one funny joke, not one moment of joy, not one interesting line, not one memorable scene, not one aspect that engaged me. It's so devoid of anything of merit that it just feels like the writers took a bunch of unfinished scenes from unfinished episodes and smashed it together into a dead-on-arrival cake of failure. This is one of those that I can safely say is clearly non-canon.

I truly think this has to be the worst episode ever. It fails on every level. I'm sure that the majority of you guys agree, but if you happen to disagree, feel free to argue against my review of this episode."

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSimpsons/comments/6mn3dv/just_watched_kill_the_alligator_and_run_in_full/

What are your thoughts on the episode?

riv6672

Surtur
I loved the sheriffs bouncing hat. Overall I thought the episode was meh.

I think the Simpsons died with that one episode focusing on Seymour Skinner.

I'm sure we all know the one I mean. Two words as a hint: Armin Tamzarian

Dr Will Hatch
Haha, I actually love that episode and find it hilarious. F.uck elitist fanboys trying to tell me what to think.

riv6672

Surtur
Originally posted by Dr Will Hatch
Haha, I actually love that episode and find it hilarious. F.uck elitist fanboys trying to tell me what to think.

The spring break one or the principal skinner one?

riv6672

Dr Will Hatch
Originally posted by Surtur
The spring break one or the principal skinner one?

The spring break one. I enjoy both though.

To be honest, I think that the meme that The Simpsons sucks now is a little overblown. It's not as good as it used to be, no, not by any means, but it's never become horrible. There are episodes of The Simpsons created within the last five years that I think are pretty decent.

riv6672

To be honest, I think that the meme that The Simpsons sucks now is a little overblown. It's not as good as it used to be, no, not by any means, but it's never become horrible. There are episodes of The Simpsons created within the last five years that I think are pretty decent.
Agreed.
I still enjoy watching this show. In contrast, i can barely sit through an ep. of Family Guy. That show is the skids, and has been, since about the time Cleveland left.
The Simpsons is still pretty much true to its original premise, and can be clever and poke fun at itself and is just plain fun still.

Surtur

I can't speak for right now, but I do know there was a period of utter dog shit that turned a lot of long time fans off.

riv6672
Must have missed that.

BrolyBlack
Ayelewis tried to deny he watched this Simpsons at once point.

meep-meep
Exactly what Will Hatch said. Great post.

Eon Blue
Another terrible attempt by ayelewis.

BrolyBlack
laughing out loud

cdtm
Originally posted by riv6672
Agreed.
I still enjoy watching this show. In contrast, i can barely sit through an ep. of Family Guy. That show is the skids, and has been, since about the time Cleveland left.
The Simpsons is still pretty much true to its original premise, and can be clever and poke fun at itself and is just plain fun still.

Family Guy lost me after Brian's death and revival.

I actually liked the new dog.

riv6672

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.