San Antonio Thought Policing: Saying 'Chinese Virus' Is Now Illegal

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Eon Blue

jaden_2.0
I'm sure all the law abiding citizens will abide by the law.

Silent Master
Ron Nirenberg is a retard.

dadudemon

Impediment
Absolutely ridiculous, IMO.

Impediment
What should the thread title be?

dadudemon
Originally posted by Impediment
What should the thread title be?

"San Antonio Thought Policing: Saying 'Chinese Virus' Is Now Illegal"

Emmy Evangeline
I feel if a virus that derives from the U.S appears then the other countries would call it The US virus or American virus

Eon Blue
Originally posted by dadudemon
"San Antonio Thought Policing: Saying 'Chinese Virus' Is Now Illegal"

This is a good title for the thread.

I agree, Emmy.

Flyattractor
San Antonio Mayor Nirenberg goes Full Social Nazi-tard here!

Thanks Democrats.

Emmy Evangeline
I've been reading up on San Antonio TX and their mayor he's sounds a goofball

Surtur

Eon Blue
Originally posted by Emmy Evangeline
I've been reading up on San Antonio TX and their mayor he's sounds a goofball

He is. I had the pleasure of delivering food and supplies to his himself and his committee. They were all entirely snobbish pricks that seemed self-righteous.

Emmy Evangeline
Originally posted by Eon Blue
He is. I had the pleasure of delivering food and supplies to his himself and his committee. They were all entirely snobbish pricks that seemed self-righteous.

Ruth Beier is the mayor of my hometown and she says it's hate speech as well. It's clear though she doesn't mean it. The bottom line is it is The Chinese Virus plain and simple and she believes it

eThneoLgrRnae
Originally posted by Surtur
My thoughts: every single person who supports this is a piece of utter shit

thumb up

BrolyBlack

Artol

Eon Blue

Artol
It is a virus that originated in China, you can call that Chinese virus if you want, but I do think regardless of that fact we should be mindful of whether the words we use have consequences. Ultimately I believe the insistence on calling it the Chinese virus, when the agreed upon terminology throughout most of the world and most of the United States is different, is a political consideration. It's an interesting discussion about how the framing and nomenclature has become one of the biggest battlegrounds in modern US politics for sure.

But all of that is besides the point, the story this thread is based on is misleading, this has little to do with thought policing and saying "Chinese virus" is certainly not illegal.

Eon Blue
Originally posted by Artol
It is a virus that originated in China, you can call that Chinese virus if you want, but I do think regardless of that fact we should be mindful of whether the words we use have consequences. Ultimately I believe the insistence on calling it the Chinese virus, when the agreed upon terminology throughout most of the world and most of the United States is different, is a political consideration. It's an interesting discussion about how the framing and nomenclature has become one of the biggest battlegrounds in modern US politics for sure.

But all of that is besides the point, the story this thread is based on is misleading, this has little to do with thought policing and saying "Chinese virus" is certainly not illegal.

You sure do love to speak in redundant circles.

Thought policing is the correct term seeing as how specific entities wish to police the known nomenclature which happens to be factual and in accordance with reality and geography.

Artol
You sure do love to speak in redundant circles.

Thought policing is the correct term seeing as how specific entities wish to police the known nomenclature which happens to be factual and in accordance with reality and geography.

But they do not want to police it. They merely affirm that they are still committed to the status as it is. It is a pandering attempt to score political points with their constituency, without actually doing anything.

At the same time it also functions as a useful news story for the opposing side, as we can see in this thread.

Eon Blue
But they do not want to police it. They merely affirm that they are still committed to the status as it is. It is a pandering attempt to score political points with their constituency, without actually doing anything.

At the same time it also functions as a useful news story for the opposing side, as we can see in this thread.

Policing occupies several facets of societal integration and does not necessarily concern itself with the structural law abiding principles, but enforcement of a law or regulation. The word is twofold in effect.

The latter part of your statement is null and void, as most new stories cut through myriad of layers in the narrative of both left and right wing stories.

Artol
Policing occupies several facets of societal integration and does not necessarily concern itself with the structural law abiding principles, but enforcement of a law or regulation. The word is twofold in effect.

The latter part of your statement is null and void, as most new stories cut through myriad of layers in the narrative of both left and right wing stories.

The issue isn't whether this falls under policing, the issue is that it is nothing. An affirmation as they did it, is completely meaningless. I do understand why you are focussing on the "policing" aspect though, as the "Saying 'Chinese Virus' Is Now Illegal" aspect is very clearly wrong. Do you really not feel like you gave this story a spin that's not accurately reflecting what has happened?

That's a bold claim, you don't think there are news outlets that tailor their message to a specific audience on the political spectrum?

Eon Blue

Artol
I don't have an issue with someone using the term "Chinese virus", I find it interesting why they would choose to do so. I don't find the argument "it's just geographically accurate" very convincing, and believe it is much more a political decision.

What I have been taking "umbrage" at is claiming that a meaningless resolution of a city council that in essence states "we still think anti-semitism and racism against Asians is bad" as something much bigger and more far reaching

Emmy Evangeline
Bitter as it may be how could you not call it The Chinese Virus? It came from China and caused chaos. The fact that it killed so many people earned it a coined name.

Eon Blue

Artol
Bitter as it may be how could you not call it The Chinese Virus? It came from China and caused chaos. The fact that it killed so many people earned it a coined name.

Does using the term "Chinese virus" have an aspect of anger then, in your opinion?

Eon Blue

Bingo. thumb up

Eon Blue
Does using the term "Chinese virus" have an aspect of anger then, in your opinion?

You seem to equating terms to anger on your own part.

Artol

Artol
You seem to equating terms to anger on your own part.

I posed a question, I could imagine that using the term is associated with anger for some people. Anger at the Chinese government, perhaps anger at elites that are perceived as incompetent, etc.

Like I said multiple times in this thread though, the lens I'm looking at it more is one of a political fight. It seems to me that the vast majority of the argument over whether to call it "Coronavirus" or "Chinese virus" comes from a fight between Democrats and Trump led Republicans as to where to lie the blame. Democrats believe Trump is responsible for a bad response to it, and a political response to that is to lay blame on China, one aspect of which is using the term "Chinese virus".

That many people are just exposed to this framing through filters of media or people they know is a given of course.

cdtm
Demographics are about 2-3% Asian in San Antonio. And they're been getting complaints.

In a population that size, they're representative enough for spineless politicians to crap their pants any time they complain about anything. Such as over 600 asians complaining about "hate speech".

They probably know full well Trump has nothing to do with a general hate speech against asians, but it makes an easy narrative for a Democratic leaning population, to placate them.

cdtm
I am not sure if you actually believe that. Surely you can see that whether to call it "coronavirus" or "Chinese virus" has become a political issue in the United States?

I feel like I am, I think that Ted Cruz took something and made it into a much bigger issue. I also think that right leaning news sites (like the Daily Mail) then picked that up because this blown up stories works well for their readership. And I think that it is useless what the San Antonio city council did. All of this is mainly political theater for both sides.

I've seen the phrasing made into an issue briefly. No one really seems to be talking about it now though.

Not exactly sure why the term itself is banned, if the impetus for action seems to be a rash of general hate speech at a local Chinese restaurant. I'd imagine that goes way beyond uttering the words "Wuhan virus" in their presence.

I'd also guess this is being perpetuated by kids. I can remember quite a few kids in my school days saying things to antagonize the Pakistani convenience store owner claiming there was piss in his drinks, and if he complained accusing him of being a terrorist.

dadudemon
The city of San Antonio passed a resolution to denounce hate speech

Which is thought policing in its most basic form.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thought_Police

One City Council member objective. When they were voting to the resolution, he had this to state about it:

https://thetexan.news/san-antonio-city-council-passes-resolution-condemning-hate-speech-use-of-the-term-chinese-virus/

The implications, of course, would be that this comes with a fine or jail time. Citations similar to what others received for social distancing requirements. Passing this type of resolution clearly implies it becomes a municipal statute that can be enforced by the police similar to what they do in the UK with their thought policing.

cdtm
Which is thought policing in its most basic form.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thought_Police

One City Council member objective. When they were voting to the resolution, he had this to state about it:

https://thetexan.news/san-antonio-city-council-passes-resolution-condemning-hate-speech-use-of-the-term-chinese-virus/

The implications, of course, would be that this comes with a fine or jail time. Citations similar to what others received for social distancing requirements. Passing this type of resolution clearly implies it becomes a municipal statute that can be enforced by the police similar to what they do in the UK with their thought policing.

Here's the ******* who proposed the resolution:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Nirenberg

He has a history of this kind of thing. He lead a charge on removing Chick-Fil-A, for example.

If a progressive jerk like this is around, odds are he's back by a lot of progressive peers, and votes for by progressive constituents.

Robtard
Even though Trump put millions of Asians and Asian Americans at risk of being attacked by some unhinged Trumpers when he kept ranting "Chinese virus!" in an attempt to deflect away from his disastrous handling of covid-19 with the lies, spins and gaslighting, "we have it contained", "this is their new hoax", "in a few days we will have close to zero cases", this is a silly law.

cdtm
Originally posted by Robtard
Even though Trump put millions of Asians and Asian Americans at risk of being attacked by some unhinged Trumpers when he kept ranting "Chinese virus!" in an attempt to deflect away from his disastrous handling of covid-19 with the lies, spins and gaslighting, "we have it contained", "this is their new hoax", "in a few days we will have close to zero cases", this is a silly law.

Are jews under attack by Covid-19 hysteria too?

I mean, I thought anti-Semitism was already covered by existing law. And I haven't heard reports of anyone making anti-Semitic rants in connection to this thing.

dadudemon

This type of hysterical and dishonest bullshit needs to die. You and everyone like you needs to stop this. You're causing problems and whipping people up into frenzies with lies like this.

I'm serious.

Robtard
Those were Trump's words/actions.

Surtur
This type of hysterical and dishonest bullshit needs to die. You and everyone like you needs to stop this. You're causing problems and whipping people up into frenzies with lies like this.

I'm serious.

https://i.imgur.com/yrDDXkw.jpg

Robtard
TIL: Trump's words have no consequences, Robtard's words have consequences

Behold my power...

Surtur
Yes behold your power, green lanterns gas-light

eThneoLgrRnae
Aww, Rob actually thinks he has real power. How very adorable.

Robtard
You people apparently do, as my words seemingly carry more weight than the POTUS to Trumpers.

Flyattractor
The Only Power Robbie has on KMC is being one of the Mods CuckSwalldeled Widdle Protected.

Aka Robbie is a Spoiled Little Brat with Mommy issues.

Surtur
You people apparently do, as my words seemingly carry more weight than the POTUS to Trumpers.

I realize you probably regret this post. You could maybe edit it.

Robtard
It's an flattering comment on people like you and your silly games. Why would I regret it.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Flyattractor
The Only Power Robbie has on KMC is being one of the Mods CuckSwalldeled Widdle Protected.

Aka Robbie is a Spoiled Little Brat with Mommy issues.

Fly, this reverse psychology tactic on the mods to get people banned is incredibly transparent. The mods are not fools and will not be fooled by it.

Surtur
It's an flattering comment on people like you and your silly games. Why would I regret it.

Yikes, I hope somebody bingo's you or something.

cdtm
Originally posted by cdtm
Are jews under attack by Covid-19 hysteria too?

I mean, I thought anti-Semitism was already covered by existing law. And I haven't heard reports of anyone making anti-Semitic rants in connection to this thing.

Just realized the reason I asked isn't posted here.

Asking, because of this:

This resolution passed because of complaints from over 600 asians, and a bad incident at a chinese diner. I can't find anything about anti-semetic incidents in connection though, despite the article claiming there are.

And everyone else is silent on the anti-Semitism, talking only anti Chinese incidents.

Robtard
Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
Fly, this reverse psychology tactic on the mods to get people banned is incredibly transparent. The mods are not fools and will not be fooled by it.

I don't bothering reading his green text account, did laugh that he's doing that though. What a retard.

Robtard
Originally posted by cdtm
Just realized the reason I asked isn't posted here.

Asking, because of this:

This resolution passed because of complaints from over 600 asians, and a bad incident at a chinese diner. I can't find anything about anti-semetic incidents in connection though, despite the article claiming there are.

And everyone else is silent on the anti-Semitism, talking only anti Chinese incidents.

I was aware of the heightened hate crimes against Asians when Trump started with his "Its the Chinese!!!" commentary. Gun sales among Asians are (or were) on the rise too, due to fear.

I wasn't aware that Jews were being targeted as well due to covid-19 blame. But then again, the Alt-Right will blame Jews for anything. Did find this: https://www.adl.org/blog/on-social-media-haredi-and-orthodox-jewish-communities-are-scapegoated-and-blamed-for-covid-19

Old Man Whirly!
I don't bothering reading his green text account, did laugh that he's doing that though. What a retard. He's been trying it on and off with Surt for simply years by calling you me and others "mod protected" and claiming mods have "unfair bias" etc. Funny stuff!

Robtard
He's been trying it on and off with Surt for simply years by calling you me and others "mod protected" and claiming mods have "unfair bias" etc. Funny stuff!

Green text Fly and Surt are two peas in a pod with their tactics and antics. Adorable.

Surtur
He's been trying it on and off with Surt for simply years by calling you me and others "mod protected" and claiming mods have "unfair bias" etc. Funny stuff!

So sorry for mentioning observed behavior smile

ares834
The "law" itself is flat out unconstitutional.

Edit: Reading the article using the term "Chinese Virus" isn't illegal but is simply classified as hate speech. Still absolutely ridiculous but not nearly as bad as the topic title suggests.

Old Man Whirly!
Green text Fly and Surt are two peas in a pod with their tactics and antics. Adorable. thumb up So true.

Eon Blue
Fly and Surt sitting in a carriage.

Surtur
thumb up So true.

I promise I won't point out observed behavior ever again.

Lol.

jk

Old Man Whirly!
I promise I won't point out observed behavior ever again.

Lol.

jk Oh Surt, your gas lighting isn't DDM level, you are Darth Maul to his Darth Sidious.

Surtur
Oh Surt, your gas lighting isn't DDM level, you are Darth Maul to his Darth Sidious.

Hypocrisy overload.

StyleTime
So nothing will change, and you are not going to be charged with a crime if you use the term "Chinese virus" (although I would suggest to you to reflect why you feel the need to use it when there is a much more commonly used name).

Originally posted by ares834

Edit: Reading the article using the term "Chinese Virus" isn't illegal but is simply classified as hate speech. Still absolutely ridiculous but not nearly as bad as the topic title suggests.
Let's pause the thread for minute. It's not illegal?

Can we change the thread title if it's untrue? 85% of the GDF would lose their minds if this were the other direction politically.

Surtur
Ah but if it was in the other direction politically the title would never be changed.

Old Man Whirly!
Ah but if it was in the other direction politically the title would never be changed. oh Surt... tsk, tsk.

Surtur
oh Surt... tsk, tsk.

We both know it wouldn't be changed...unless you were the one who posted the topic and you also requested the change.

Old Man Whirly!
We both know it wouldn't be changed...unless you were the one who posted the topic and you also requested the change. Oh Surt, this gaslighting to try and get the mods to treat Rob and myself disproportionately badly won't work any better now, than previous attempts.

Eon Blue
https://i.imgur.com/ui5Rjd5.jpg

Surtur

https://media.giphy.com/media/Ow59c0pwTPruU/giphy.gif

Surtur
Oh Surt, this gaslighting to try and get the mods to treat Rob and myself disproportionately badly won't work any better now, than previous attempts.

https://media.giphy.com/media/N7FeGLHjVsDQY/giphy.gif

StyleTime
Ah but if it was in the other direction politically the title would never be changed.
I'd advocate changing the title in those instances too.

This title, somewhat uniquely, seems to have been decided within the actual thread posts, then applied afterwards though. Granted, I don't think anyone meant deceit. You all seem like cool cats from my interactions with you, but it might make the discussion less ideologically charged with a tweaked title.

It appears you can scream "Chinese Virus" all day if you want. Maybe don't do it while chasing your Asian Postmates driver though.

Probably shouldn't chase anyone around while doing this though.

Surtur
Originally posted by StyleTime
I'd advocate changing the title in those instances too.

This title, somewhat uniquely, seems to have been decided within the actual thread posts, then applied afterwards though. Granted, I don't think anyone meant deceit. You all seem like cool cats from my interactions with you, but it might make the discussion less ideologically charged with a tweaked title.

It appears you can scream "Chinese Virus" all day if you want. Maybe don't do it while chasing your Asian Postmates driver though.

Probably shouldn't chase anyone around while doing this though.

I have no problem with changing the title. And while not illegal, this is still disturbing. They aren't even just going "it would be nice if you guys didn't say this, we think it's hate speech". But that isn't what they did. They also told people to report it to the proper authorities for investigation.

In a time when you'd think every penny counts...they will waste money investigating "hey this dude said chinese virus".

StyleTime
I have no problem with changing the title. And while not illegal, this is still disturbing. They aren't even just going "it would be nice if you guys didn't say this, we think it's hate speech". But that isn't what they did. They also told people to report it to the proper authorities for investigation.

In a time when you'd think every penny counts...they will waste money investigating "hey this dude said chinese virus".
I think they are alarmed at the uptick in anti-Asian hate incidents. I don't know what day-to-day is like in San Antonio, but the article claims 650 reports of attacks on Asian-Americans in a week. That's gotta be startling.

Even Trump, who said he will refrain from using "Chinese virus" now, had to address this. "It is very important that we totally protect our Asian American community in the United States, and all around the world. They are amazing people, and the spreading of the Virus is NOT their fault in any way, shape, or form. They are working closely with us to get rid of it. WE WILL PREVAIL TOGETHER!"

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1242202290393677829

I can't say for certain if declaring it hate speech will help or not, but it does feel like some action has to take place.

Blakemore
Originally posted by Blakemore
and this forum is a cess pool..... still true.

Surtur
Originally posted by StyleTime
I think they are alarmed at the uptick in anti-Asian hate incidents. I don't know what day-to-day is like in San Antonio, but the article claims 650 reports of attacks on Asian-Americans in a week. That's gotta be startling.

Even Trump, who said he will refrain from using "Chinese virus" now, is having to address this. "It is very important that we totally protect our Asian American community in the United States, and all around the world. They are amazing people, and the spreading of the Virus is NOT their fault in any way, shape, or form. They are working closely with us to get rid of it. WE WILL PREVAIL TOGETHER!"

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1242202290393677829

I can't say for certain if declaring it hate speech will help or not, but it does feel like some action has to take place.

Something should be done if people are attacked. I can't see why anything should be done about someone calling this the chinese virus.

Robtard
Oh Surt, this gaslighting to try and get the mods to treat Rob and myself disproportionately badly won't work any better now, than previous attempts.

Let him keep trying, it's adorable.

Surtur
I'm so sorry these facts are happening to you.

Eon Blue
Rob twirls around like a baboon in heat shouting out cryptic mantras and talking about Rodney Dangerfield.

Surtur
Lmao.

So anyways Eon: be careful what you say in public. You could be on the phone and say "Chinese virus" and if a snowflake overhears you and reports it you just might end up getting investigated.

StyleTime
Something should be done if people are attacked. I can't see why anything should be done about someone calling this the chinese virus.
Wow. We reached a fairly amenable end point and barely used half of one page.

It's almost like constantly antagonizing each other with "awful" or whatever y'alls current meme is is wacky shit.

I guess the GDF has more fun doing it the other way though. It's your right, I suppose.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.