Why do you like Revenge of the Sith?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Scizard
To those who really like Revenge of the Sith and would put it in say the top 3 star wars movies, why?

I cannot understand this at all to be honest, I was watching the movie yesterday and 50% of it is people sitting and talking and the other 50% is mediocre action with CGI that doesn't hold up anymore.

I also feel like Anakin starts off quite bland, there's not much to actually make me like this character at the start of ROTS and after he's turned by Palpatine he just becomes jarringly delusional, just because dark side I guess?

So to those who really like ROTS, how come?

-Pr-
ROTS, I think, is always going to be the 4th best Star Wars movie for me. Sure, it has its bad, but it also has some serious good too.

I disagree with the action being bland and the CGI not holding up though. The action ranges from okay to excellent (the final duel is, I only came to realise later, exactly what a battle between two Jedi should be). And for a movie with so much CGI, I think a lot of it holds up pretty well.

But that's me.

Darth Thor
To me its a modern day Macbeth. It was great to get the Villains journey. Action is breathtaking. Starting with the opening space sequence, ending with Battle of the Heroes. The killing Dooku scene, Order 66, Kashyk. Theres like so much action.

Sitting and talking is kinda needed for any entertaining film. And the sitting and talking in this film included that classic opera scene.

In terms of special effects, to have Yoda in all out battle like that was really under appreciated at the time. And still holds up Imo.

Scizard
Originally posted by -Pr-
ROTS, I think, is always going to be the 4th best Star Wars movie for me. Sure, it has its bad, but it also has some serious good too.

I disagree with the action being bland and the CGI not holding up though. The action ranges from okay to excellent (the final duel is, I only came to realise later, exactly what a battle between two Jedi should be). And for a movie with so much CGI, I think a lot of it holds up pretty well.

But that's me.

I think the prominient scenes where I thought the quality was low was during Utapau, some of the visuals look like textures from old games and some of the action scenes just generally look blurry almost to me.

I think personally the action is overrated. Mace Windu vs Sidious & Grievous vs Obi have noticably choreography and Yoda and Sidious' lightsaber fight is just spinning and hitting each others lightsabers for or a minute, or however long it is, although I do enjoy their force battle quite a bit.

The only fight scene that really does it for me is Anakin vs Kenobi and that also has similar issues for me like hitting each others lightsabers and pointless spinning, don't get me wrong though it's definitely one of the better fights.

But yeah thanks for answering.

Scizard
Originally posted by Darth Thor
To me its a modern day Macbeth. It was great to get the Villains journey. Action is breathtaking. Starting with the opening space sequence, ending with Battle of the Heroes. The killing Dooku scene, Order 66, Kashyk. Theres like so much action.

Sitting and talking is kinda needed for any entertaining film. And the sitting and talking in this film included that classic opera scene.

In terms of special effects, to have Yoda in all out battle like that was really under appreciated at the time. And still holds up Imo.

Kashyyyk and Order 66 are definitely the better scenes imo, although I don't believe either of them last very long. Personally the killing Dooku scene makes no sense to me, but I do like some of the fight actually. Wish Dooku was in it more but it probably had to be done. Grievous just doesn't do it for me.

Yeah I agree lots of the talking scenes all had some level of importance, nothing major stood out to me though.

Unfortunately I can't say I like the buzzdroid scene very much either, just a bit too comical for me even though it's not really supposed to be, I think Battle of Coruscant background stuff is cool though, it just doesn't really get focused on for very long.

Personally not a fan of the Yoda duel due to it just looking silly to me, but It's definitely impressive for 2005 that they can actually do that, but that doesn't make me like the scene anymore.

I would say my favourite part of the movie is probably the music and the storming of the Jedi Temple.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Scizard
To those who really like Revenge of the Sith and would put it in say the top 3 star wars movies, why?

I cannot understand this at all to be honest, I was watching the movie yesterday and 50% of it is people sitting and talking and the other 50% is mediocre action with CGI that doesn't hold up anymore.

I also feel like Anakin starts off quite bland, there's not much to actually make me like this character at the start of ROTS and after he's turned by Palpatine he just becomes jarringly delusional, just because dark side I guess?

So to those who really like ROTS, how come?

Too many reasons to list.

R2D2 vs. Super Battle Droids.

Obi & Ani vs. Dooku.

Obi "Hello there" Kenobi vs. Grievous.

Order 66.

Sidious vs. Jedi Council Members.

Sidious vs. Yoda.

Kenobi vs. Skywalker.

Also, it's still being used as a meme goldmine, after all these years.

And if you're still not convinced... tell me...

... did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis The Wise?

Darth Thor
^ thumb up thumb up

ares834
Originally posted by Scizard

Which three would you rank above it?

ANH, ESB, and RotJ?

IMO, RotS is more enjoyable than RotJ and, obviously, far better than any of the sequels.

Scizard
I prefer all three of those along with TLJ, TFA & Rogue One.

The only duel I really like in the movie is Anakin vs Kenobi, I also enjoy the force battle between Yoda and Sidious, but the saber duel itself looks retarded.

I like Order 66, although have barely any connection with most of those characters so it doesn't leave the good area for me.

Darth Thor
So I mixed and matched ROTS with the last 4 episodes of Clone Wars, which was a fun watch. Was easy to switch back and forth with both being on Disney plus.

Sith Master X
Not sure where I would rank ROTS. Definitely one of my favs though.

What I'm confident in saying is that we got two of the best scenes in all 9 films in this movie.......the opera scene, and Anakin and Padme gazing at each-other across Coruscant. Beautiful.

If I have one nit-pick with this movie, it's that Anakin and Obi-Wan are seperated too long. Best of friends one minute....sworn enemies an hour later without once having seen each other in between.

It's a very good movie that is at the same time, also short of amazing. Getting rid of Grievous and the Utapau stuff, and throwing Obi-Wan more into the mix of Anakin's downfall would have held more weight in my opinion.

NewGuy01
Having read the novel makes me appreciate the film more.

Total Warrior
Originally posted by Darth Thor
So I mixed and matched ROTS with the last 4 episodes of Clone Wars, which was a fun watch. Was easy to switch back and forth with both being on Disney plus. good idea, i should do that too

Blakemore
You guys can't be serious. no expression

StiltmanFTW
You can't be serious about liking TPM more than ROTS... stick out tongue

Blakemore
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
You can't be serious about liking TPM more than ROTS... stick out tongue At least Jar Jar Binks has a character arc.

Sith Master X
TPM is an underrated movie. A bit shaky at times, especially in the beginning, but the movie did feel the closest to the originals in my opinion.

-Pr-
I like everything up until they go to Coruscant, and everything after Coruscant, but there is some awful slog in the middle imo.

As far as ROTS goes, I like it more than I used to, but I still think it has some issues that don't quite make it as good as the OT.

Blakemore
TPM was just Lucas trying to remake ANH where it's a story about some weirdo who befriends some people and saves the day in the end. Unfortunately he had to include some shit that went against his vision because his vision was weird and terrible. Then he just tried to correct himself.

Lord Lucien
Remember that scene in RotS where Obi-Wan is fighting General Grievous and accidentally steps in his poo and goes "Oh! Icky icky goo!" Or that scene where Padme is confronting Anakin on Mustafar but he farts and she goes "P-yousa!"

Those moments are why RotS is such a classic, awesome, Star Wars movie.

Blakemore
Yes. Remember the part where Jarjar is fighting the droid and all those lightsabers are spinning and Jarjar doesn't get hurt or even flinch?

Remember when Jarjar says something about pregnancy and there's no awkward dialogue or speech?

Lord Lucien
Or when Yoda caught the Senate pod that Palpatine threw at him and said "Let's try spinning, that's a good trick!"

Blakemore
Or when Obiwan jumps over Darth Maul and Darth Maul swipes at Obiwan's legs and Obiwan falls?

Lord Lucien
Or when small child Anakin killed a number of living people on the droid control ship and he told R2 "They were like animals, and I slaughtered them like animals!"

And then R2 also stepped in poopy.

Blakemore
I loved that sequence. It was like, one big opening shot of ships exploding and was created entirely by CGI. I didn't even know who was on which side, but it was a shot that looked like we were moving.

And then a droid needs helping and young Anakin says "I'm gonna help him out" because Anakin cares so much about the lives of droids...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.