Was Sidious proud of Maul?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Eli Vanto
The whole "rival" thing aside, do you think that Sidious was secretly proud that he trained Maul well enough to not only survive everything thrown his way, but also proud that he put together his own little criminal empire?

ares834
lmao

No. I can't see him taking pride in such things.

Darthadi
Well, in the Vader comics (2015 run) Palpatine was proud of Vader after Aphra told him about some of Vader's secret plans on creating his own power base within the empire. With this in mind, I would assume Palpatine being proud that his former apprentice took over an entire planet and created a criminal empire is plausible

Darth Thor
He might have been somewhat impressed. But being proud of a former apprentice would be taking his humanity a bit far.

Galan007
Why would Palpatine be proud of someone who is a constant failure?

juggernaut74
Aren't most Sith weary of their apprentices?

StiltmanFTW
Agreed with others.

Palps was proud... of himself.

ozz81
Yeah maybe a to a certain extent when he mentions to darth Vader that maul was a loss and Dooku was a tool ...

YousufKhan1212
I think he probably was in his own twisted way.

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by ares834
lmao

No. I can't see him taking pride in such things.
If Sids didn't take pride in such things, why would he even take anakin on as an apprentince?

There's no objective reason for Sids to take an apprentince who, at least at the time, was destined to far surpass him,

ares834
Sure there was. Sidious wants the strongest goon possible. He had no intention of dying though. His ultimate goal was to become immortal and gain power to reshape reality itself. A powerful apprentice would certainly be very useful for such a thing.

Eli Vanto
Feel like Sidious must have had some kind of attachment to Maul. Even if it wasnt much.

I mean, he could have killed him in TCW but didn't, he could have killed him in SOD but didnt, and he could have tracked him down and killed him after SOD but didnt. You have to wonder why??

Sheev
Ive also wondered why Sidious thought of Maul as more of a "loss" then Dooku?

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Sheev
Ive also wondered why Sidious thought of Maul as more of a "loss" then Dooku?

I guess because he spent time training Maul. Whilst Dooku must have been intended as a tool he had no intention of keeping for the long term.

Galan007
Originally posted by Eli Vanto
Feel like Sidious must have had some kind of attachment to Maul. Even if it wasnt much.

I mean, he could have killed him in TCW but didn't, he could have killed him in SOD but didnt, and he could have tracked him down and killed him after SOD but didnt. You have to wonder why?? The only reason Palpatine directly intervened in the first place is because he perceived Maul and Savage as potential rivals, which was unacceptable and had to be dealt with.

Palpatine allowed Maul to live after S05/The Lawless(which was a direct segway into SoD), because he believed that Maul could lead him to Talzin -- who was another potential rival that had to be destroyed:
https://i.imgur.com/Z6HGSMX.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/VPdKIwX.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/adYjmaZ.jpg
Palpatine even states: "Do not mistake the fact that I have allowed you to live for compassion, my former apprentice."

After Talzin had been killed, there was no longer a need for Palpatine to spend any more time/resources tracking Maul down for the lulz. Maul no longer represented any sort of 'threat' whatsoever, and Palpatine's victory was more secure than ever:
https://i.imgur.com/zZ8nUdj.jpg

Originally posted by Darth Thor
I guess because he spent time training Maul. Whilst Dooku must have been intended as a tool he had no intention of keeping for the long term. Exactly. thumb up

In canon, Palpatine essentially raised Maul from the time he was a small child, and spent decades grooming/training him to become the perfect Sith.

Flip side, Dooku(powerful as he may have been) was ultimately just the means to an end.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Galan007

After Talzin had been killed, there was no longer a need for Palpatine to spend any more time/resources tracking Maul down for the lulz. Maul no longer represented any sort of 'threat' whatsoever, and Palpatine's victory was more secure than ever:
https://i.imgur.com/zZ8nUdj.jpg

Yeah plus we know now he ordered Mauls execution by the clones during Order 66. If Ahsoka hadnt saved him he would be dead on Sidious orders.

Eli Vanto
Nicethumb up

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by ares834
Sure there was. Sidious wants the strongest goon possible. He had no intention of dying though. His ultimate goal was to become immortal and gain power to reshape reality itself. A powerful apprentice would certainly be very useful for such a thing.
A powerful apprentince? sure. An apprentince who would be far more powerful than himself?

Nah.

Sidious straight up expects Anakin to eclipse him in power, what was sidious planning to do when Anakin inevitably tries to kill him?

Sidious wasn't even gonna risk ventress reaching her peak. How the hell does he rationally root for Anakin to acheive his potential?

I don't see how that's possible without some sense of pride.

Galan007
Originally posted by Rockydonovang
Sidious straight up expects Anakin to eclipse him in power, what was sidious planning to do when Anakin inevitably tries to kill him? Body-hop?

vin

ares834
Originally posted by Rockydonovang
A powerful apprentince? sure. An apprentince who would be far more powerful than himself?

Nah.

Sidious straight up expects Anakin to eclipse him in power, what was sidious planning to do when Anakin inevitably tries to kill him?

Sidious wasn't even gonna risk ventress reaching her peak. How the hell does he rationally root for Anakin to acheive his potential?

I don't see how that's possible without some sense of pride.

For Sidious it's a shiny bauble. Why settle for anything less than the best? There is a big difference between training a rouge Sith Lord and having the most powerful Sith ever as a pawn. I can't see Sidious taking any pride in training a competent SIth, but having one as a servant would be something Sidious takes pride in.

relentless1
it always seemed to me that Lucas' original intent was that Sidious knew Anakin would eventually surpass him and if he did, the pride would be in taking the Jedis chosen one and corrupting him into being the most powerful Sith Lord ever. He says to Yoda that "Darth Vader will become more powerful that either of us" I always took that to mean that Sidious knew his fate would be to die at Anakins hand one day

Darth Thor
He was probably deluded to think Vader wouldnt betray him, and would always see him as a Father type.

That said, his main goal would have always been the body hopping immortal Sith thing. And Having a ridiculous powerful And Loyal apprentice to keep his Galactic order in line while he figures that out.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.