StarWars.com on General Grievous [Legends]

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

YousufKhan1212
Thread preface: This is Legends only i.e. no material that comes after April 2014. The Obi-Wan databank from the old Star Wars website that was included in Leland Chee's holocron, states the following about Grievous:

This quote dates all the way back to 2005. It says that Grievous lacks the finesses of a master swordsman, but relies on his extremely unconventional fighting style and constantly spam it at Kenobi i,e. "brute and whirlwind tactics" rather than pure lightsaber skills, simply because he isn't a master swordsman at all, but a pressure fighter. Obi-Wan was able to anticipate Grievous's attacks through precognition and counter them with his own. This is also evidence of the saying "styles make fights," because although Grievous isn't a master swordsman, he makes up for that with his brute strength and whirlwind tactics, which are clearly really unconventional and randomized, given that he has been able to challenge many great Jedi of his era.

Eli Vanto
Some Legends sources do indicate that he was very skilled tho.

YousufKhan1212
Originally posted by Eli Vanto
Some Legends sources do indicate that he was very skilled tho.

These sources refer to his unarmed combat skills, which isn't mutually exclusive with what the databank says.

Eli Vanto
I'm more referring to Labyrinth of Evil, where GG was stated to be adapting a version on Vaapad on the fly while he was fighting with Windu.

YousufKhan1212
Originally posted by Eli Vanto
I'm more referring to Labyrinth of Evil, where GG was stated to be adapting a version on Vaapad on the fly while he was fighting with Windu.

He didn't actually adapt Vaapad, but something resembling the fighting style of Vaapad that was "close enough":

In fact this passage attributes Grievous's mimicry of Windu's fighting style to his super computers, rather than pre-existing finesse, by alerting Grievous how to "alter his stance and posture" alongside "the angle of his parries, ripostes, and thrusts" and I think that is reconcilable with what the databank says about his prowess with a blade.

Rockydonovang
well if his "unconventional skills' are enough to kick kenobi's ass multiple times then they're good enough for "master swordsman"

YousufKhan1212
Originally posted by Rockydonovang
well if his "unconventional skills' are enough to kick kenobi's ass multiple times then they're good enough for "master swordsman"

👍

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.