Why was the Emperor so easily killed?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

snoke123
So I watched the final scenes of ROTJ yesterday, featuring the lovely leering Emperor trying to lure Luke to the dark side. As I've been reading the Thrawn Trilogy I've learned a little more about Force capabilities. It seems to me that the Emperor was too easily killed by Darth Vader.

Darth Vader was standing right by Palpatine's side just before he elevated the Emperor and threw him down the pit. Here arises

Problem #1= Force users are able to sense the emotions of those around them. Strong dark Jedi can go even further and invade thoughts to lift images/ideas directly from minds. The emperor should have been able to feel Vader's thoughts turn to compassion for his son. Compassion would have been followed by stronger emotions of protection/ vengeance/ murder. Sure, you can make the case that Vader didn't have a concrete plan that extended past lifting the Emperor up and away from Luke to end the latter's suffering and that chucking him down the pit was a spur of the moment decision. You can go even further and make the case that Vader was powerful enough to cover his sense from the Emperor. Fine. The emperor would have sensed that Vader's sense went "stealth" and this would have put him on guard. Either way, the emperor should have still felt a major change in Vader's sense and anticipated some sort of intervention. He didn't and this leads us to

Problem #2= Even basic Force users develop a "danger sense". This isn't as sophisticated as the previous "emotional sense" I mentioned earlier but it is fairly accurate and is a major factor in a Jedi's hardiness. A Jedi's danger sense flares before his surroundings attempt to harm him. The warning time varies, but it effectively puts a Jedi on guard, allowing him to heighten his senses and watch for attack. The Emperor's danger sense failed to warn him that an attack was imminent. He simply continued to elatedly electrocute Luke. This is problematic because danger sense doesn't depend on Vader's ability to conceal his sense, it is an independent function of the overall Force that binds us all. But somehow Vader got the jump on the Emperor and was able to lift him in the air.

Problem #3= Now that Palpatine is in the air he KNOWS hes in danger. His longtime ally and servant just interrupted him, and bodily lifted him up. Palpatine now directs his Force lightning at Vader in an attempt to stop him. This fails, and suddenly hes thrown down a very long pit with a sudden stop at the bottom. This powerful Force user, capable of Battle Meditation that mobilizes multiple fleets across light years simply allows himself to fall ALL the way down without attempting to halt his descent. He doesn't use the Force to levitate himself to a safe landing. Why not? Palpatine is intelligent and resourceful. His rise to power is evidence enough of that. Was he immobilized by fear? Surprise? I don't buy it.

YousufKhan1212
He was in a state of blind rage.

Galan007
He wasn't killed.

vin

xPRIMEx

Zenwolf
Did he really need to when he just transferred his essence anyway into Droga? Since the OP brought up the TT.

snoke123

Freedon Nadd
Force users do not just sense things. They need to make a cognitive effort to utilize their abilities. And at that time Sidious' attention was focused on Luke Skywalker.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.