Why are Starbucks generally filled with lonely creepy single guys?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BrolyBlack

dadudemon
Some of them are developers. Some of them are students.

I used to have to wait at 2 different starbucks, depending on where I was working. Because I'm an ambivert, sometimes I'd be tempted to talk to people. Sometimes I'd listen. It gets boring waiting 2 hours each day.

Artol
I don't know if they are filled with lonely, creepy single guys. But I think the reason why Starbucks has become popular as a place for people to stay for long periods and ostensibly work are many. One is the fundamental shift in work that the American economy has undergone, a lot more jobs are flexible now, many others are outsourced to private contractors of freelancers. These people are often one man businesses, and may not have access to an office, their home might have shortcomings that makes it hard to work, or they may just want to get out and be among people while doing their work. A second factor is that a lot of public places have been privatized, and even if there are public places available, they may not have Internet. Starbucks and similar cafes may be a valuable option in that case. It's sort of like a relatively cheap booth rental. I suppose these explanations may go some way to explain why it is mainly men, and not women, who are doing it, there being less women in these kinds of jobs.

What do you think the reasons for your observation are?

BrolyBlack
Originally posted by dadudemon
Some of them are developers. Some of them are students.

I used to have to wait at 2 different starbucks, depending on where I was working. Because I'm an ambivert, sometimes I'd be tempted to talk to people. Sometimes I'd listen. It gets boring waiting 2 hours each day.

**** you DDM!!!

BrolyBlack
Originally posted by Artol
I don't know if they are filled with lonely, creepy single guys. But I think the reason why Starbucks has become popular as a place for people to stay for long periods and ostensibly work are many. One is the fundamental shift in work that the American economy has undergone, a lot more jobs are flexible now, many others are outsourced to private contractors of freelancers. These people are often one man businesses, and may not have access to an office, their home might have shortcomings that makes it hard to work, or they may just want to get out and be among people while doing their work. A second factor is that a lot of public places have been privatized, and even if there are public places available, they may not have Internet. Starbucks and similar cafes may be a valuable option in that case. It's sort of like a relatively cheap booth rental. I suppose these explanations may go some way to explain why it is mainly men, and not women, who are doing it, there being less women in these kinds of jobs.

What do you think the reasons for your observation are?

Good explanation

Trocity
My girlfriend goes to Starbucks a lot and whenever I accompany her they are filled with 90% women.

Surtur
I would guess people go there for the wifi. Though since I don't drink coffee I dunno, maybe the coffee there is just *that* good.

meep-meep
I'm not a coffee drinker. Do people just spend time in Starbucks?

Old Man Whirly!
Star bucks is shit coffee, the best two coffee shops in Africa are on Rd 9 in Maadi, Beano's and Greco. La Wein is an excellent Coffee shop in the Arab world, for Europe a no name Patisserie in Berlin near the Radisson at Alexander Platz is better than any place I know in Rome. Paris has so many brown cafes which quite frankly do far better coffee than the American chains. American coffee is weak shit next to European Coffee. Amsterdam is the same as Paris. London has few non chain cafes left, but a greasy spoon I know in st Mary's cray still has an excellent 60's espresso machine.

samhain
The best coffee I ever had was in some cafe in Bordeaux, I became a bit of a coffee fiend for about 6 months afterwards trying to recapture that feeling but no other coffee has even come close.

Anyone ever have that Indonesian coffee made from partially digested beans?

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by samhain
The best coffee I ever had was in some cafe in Bordeaux, I became a bit of a coffee fiend for about 6 months afterwards trying to recapture that feeling but no other coffee has even come close.

Anyone ever have that Indonesian coffee made from partially digested beans? Yes and like Arabic unfermented coffee, I liked it.

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
Star bucks is shit coffee.

sure does taste like shit, and it's way overpriced. maybe because of all the cocaine and amphetamines they spike their coffee with, or so I suspect because it makes me feel too wired and shitty

I like dunkin donuts and mccafe.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
sure does taste like shit, and it's way overpriced. maybe because of all the cocaine and amphetamines they spike their coffee with, or so I suspect because it makes me feel too wired and shitty

I like dunkin donuts and mccafe. of the American/canadian chains I like timmy Horton best. But chains in general are shit. Cafe Nero is the best chain, don't know it that's American.

Bashar Teg
there actually is a Hortons at Penn station in ny, but I never tried their coffee. never came across a cafe nero

snowdragon
Never been a fan of Starbucks, when I was younger and needed a quick gym pick me up I had their red eyes. Now I just prefer to make cold brewed coffee in a french press (I dislike hot and sweet beverages.)

I will say that I have enjoyed just getting out in the past to plug in at a starbucks or a coffee shop for a moment of sanity from the family:P

Old Man Whirly!

Eon Blue
Originally posted by Bashar Teg

I like dunkin donuts and mccafe.

You are what you eat/drink.

You always struck me as a McWhore.

Bashar Teg
^^shops at McHairWeaves

Emmy Evangeline
Alot of them still remain Hipsters and worship the city of Austin. They also tried their BS on me to impress me and I find them losers.

Archaeopteryx
For being an American chain the most Starbucks I ever saw was in London. One on every block and all in sight of each other. In general Starbucks is on the low end of quality. Most chains are ok at best. Been all over Europe, not much better but in general coffee is stronger and cup sizes tend to be smaller. If you really want the good stuff though go to Latin America, best (and strongest) coffee I ever hadf was in Costa Rica

Eon Blue
Originally posted by Emmy Evangeline
Alot of them still remain Hipsters and worship the city of Austin. They also tried their BS on me to impress me and I find them losers.

The city of Austin is highly overrated.

BrolyBlack
So overrated

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.