Who would be fooled by Luke's projection??

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Eli Vanto
Luke's projection in TLJ was convincing enough to fool Kylo into thinking it was actually him, but do you think more adept Jedi or Sith would have been able to see through the illusion right away?

Scizard
Not sure what it says in the novel for TLJ however it's pretty clear Kylo had tunnel vision and Luke's mere presence frightened him.

I think most Jedi/Sith would see through the illusion under normal circumstances, especically considering that they were on Crait.

Galan007
I've mentioned this before, but it was stated in the RoS VD that Luke created the projection by pouring his own living force into the cosmic force in order to bridge the distance between Ahch-To and Crait(literally hundreds of light years) -- a technique Luke learned from the ancient texts.

The result was more than just a simple 'illusion', as the projection clearly had solid elements to it...

-Luke gripped Leia's hands and kissed her forehead. He also manifested Han's dice, which were 'solid' and could be held by others.
-3PO's optic sensors registered Luke actually being there.
-Luke's robes/hair were flapping in the wind on Crait.
-Kylo and Leia(who can very accurately sense presences in the Force and had very strong bonds to Luke) didn't realize that the projection wasn't actually him at first.

I believe it was literally Luke's essence/life force standing in front of them, which is why it was initially indistinguishable from the real deal. That said, I don't see most Force users being able to deduce that it was just a projection, unless they made physical contact with it... OR if they were somehow familiar with the technique. /shrug

Sheev
Originally posted by Galan007
I believe it was literally Luke's essence/life force standing in front of them, which is why it was initially indistinguishable from the real deal. That said, I don't see most Force users being able to deduce that it was just a projection, unless they made physical contact with it... OR if they were somehow familiar with the technique. /shrug Still doesnt make sense to me, ngl

ares834
What doesn't? It's astral projection. Pretty simple stuff.

The fact that it kills him is absolute nonsense though.

Sheev
But if Galan is correct then it was more then astral projection. It was a projection of Lukes living force.

But it still wasnt him in the flesh, so I'm not sure why more seasons Jedi wouldnt be able to tell right away?

ares834
Originally posted by Sheev
But if Galan is correct then it was more then astral projection. It was a projection of Lukes living force.

I fail to see the difference. He is projecting his soul, life force, whatever you wanna call it there. AKA astral projection.

Lord Stark
Originally posted by ares834
What doesn't? It's astral projection. Pretty simple stuff.

The fact that it kills him is absolute nonsense though.

Yup this right here.

Galan007
Originally posted by Sheev

But it still wasnt him in the flesh, so I'm not sure why more seasons Jedi wouldnt be able to tell right away? It was exactly that: a projection/embodiment of Luke's own Living Force standing in front of them.

And given that both Leia and Kylo(who each had very strong bonds with Luke) weren't initially able to sense that it wasn't actually him, it seems likely that the projection had a presence in the Force that was indistinguishable from Luke's... I mean, it's not exactly difficult for Force users to detect Luke's presence:
https://i.imgur.com/rd7Vkd5.jpg
"...Normally the whole Force sings with Master Skywalker's presence..."

So if the projection were just some hollow illusion, I doubt it would have fooled Leia or Kylo. At the very least, they should have been able to immediately sense that the projection wasn't leaving a 'footprint'(pun intended) in the Force.

Scizard
I think the fact they're on Crait is what would make it so easy to spot for any other Jedi.

Galan007
How so?

Scizard
No tracks in the salt.

Galan007
I was just thinking of a scenario where Luke was standing in one spot conversing, like he was with Kylo. His hair and robes were still flapping in the wind, so unless Luke began moving around(or they made physical contact with the projection), I don't see even the most seasoned Jedi picking up on it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.