Here We Go Again: NYPD On Camera Beating Unarmed Black Man While Partner Just Watches

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dadudemon
https://i.imgur.com/eTXMBOC.jpg

When will this shit stop?

Artol
It's hard to make out, but I'm pretty sure the black guy is beating the officer.

Bashar Teg
clearly far more black pieces on the board. no way the cop is winning.

"black man murders armed police officer with his bare hands while his partner watches helplessly"

Surtur
I am on standby to burn down the nearest 7/11 if the game doesn't go the way it should(white guy willingly surrenders and lets black guy win)

dadudemon
Originally posted by Artol
It's hard to make out, but I'm pretty sure the black guy is beating the officer.

Originally posted by Bashar Teg
clearly far more black pieces on the board. no way the cop is winning.

"black man murders armed police officer with his bare hands while his partner watches helplessly"

I noticed the same thing.

haermm

Whoever made the original meme is stupid.

eThneoLgrRnae
Don't see how anyone could possibly make out that one side or the other has more pieces on the board. You'd have to be Superman with his microscopic vision to clearly make it out.

Artol
Chess is not a game that you can easily judge by the number of pieces on the board. What makes the police officers situation look particularly bad is his exposed and surrounded king in the middle of the board. I have to say the whole position seems very odd to me, I don't quite understand what reasonable play would have led to it.

Darth Thor
Cant tell what the pieces are, but even if most the black guys pieces are pawns, he should still be winning.

Remember any pawn you get to the end becomes a Queen.

Bashar Teg
just look at the pile of black dude's taken white pieces and look at the cop's lonely black bishop (i think)

Artol
To be fair, it looks like something that black guy is doing regularly, it's not surprising he would be the better player.

Bashar Teg
also pretty sure the cop's white queen was taken (look at the pile), he's f*cked.

Artol
To maybe change topic slightly, do we think this kind of meme makes light of police violence like the one that killed George Floyd recently, or perhaps it helps otherwise opposing groups see each other more as people, or perhaps it is just meaningless joking around?

Bashar Teg
whatever it's original intent (maybe it was good natured) it's used every time these racist police murders occur, to make light of some shit which should not be taken lightly. just my take.

dadudemon
To maybe change topic slightly, do we think this kind of meme makes light of police violence like the one that killed George Floyd recently, or perhaps it helps otherwise opposing groups see each other more as people, or perhaps it is just meaningless joking around?

I think it does the opposite: shows how stupid the stereotypes are.

From my experience, 9/10 police a good people and try to do a good job.

That cop stopping to play chess with a regular, especially a black man, is more demonstrative of the types of people the police usually are.

Also, I'm unsure if the original meme maker intended for the cop to actually be winning tin the chess match: it's possible the original picture, that wasn't jpegged to death, was higher quality and we could easily see the cop losing. Thus, mocking the joke that the cop is beating the black man.

Also, it paints the black man as an intellectual rather than the racist stereotype of dumb and up to no good.

For those reasons, I think this meme was originally made in good nature to both praise cops but also talk down to racist stereotypes. People aren't at each other's throats all the time.

Artol
Originally posted by dadudemon
I think it does the opposite: shows how stupid the stereotypes are.

From my experience, 9/10 police a good people and try to do a good job.

That cop stopping to play chess with a regular, especially a black man, is more demonstrative of the types of people the police usually are.

Also, I'm unsure if the original meme maker intended for the cop to actually be winning tin the chess match: it's possible the original picture, that wasn't jpegged to death, was higher quality and we could easily see the cop losing. Thus, mocking the joke that the cop is beating the black man.

Also, it paints the black man as an intellectual rather than the racist stereotype of dumb and up to no good.

For those reasons, I think this meme was originally made in good nature to both praise cops but also talk down to racist stereotypes. People aren't at each other's throats all the time.

Interesting point of view, it's somehow different from how I interpreted it.

But as an aside, I know you didn't mean it as an exact figure, but if only 9/10 police officers are good people who are trying to do a good job, that'd be a tragedy of epic proportions. I think generally it's much less important what individual police officers do, and rather how the system and group dynamics shape how they act and what worldview they have.

dadudemon
Interesting point of view, it's somehow different from how I interpreted it.

But as an aside, I know you didn't mean it as an exact figure, but if only 9/10 police officers are good people who are trying to do a good job, that'd be a tragedy of epic proportions. I think generally it's much less important what individual police officers do, and rather how the system and group dynamics shape how they act and what worldview they have.

The position attracts people who desire power and authority. It is inevitable you will get bad seeds.

Unless you give police regular psychologist inventory tests (we should), you won't know if they are mentally healthy enough to be police (we don't).

Some cops are just gangsters with a badge and a gun. Hardly the type that should be a cop.

Darth Thor
Honestly this is a great pic.

And I would love to believe this is 90% of cops. However when a cop does assault or kill a black guy, the other cops just watch.

So there clearly is a problem.

And given the Amy Cooper case this week, it seems the public also have faith in cops to arrest the black guy first and ask questions later.

Old Man Whirly!
It's gaslighting, the meme has no other purpose. It could never have been benign.

Blakemore
It looks like the white queen could check the black king or possibly checkmate because of the bishop but idk.

jaden_2.0
#BlackChessPiecesMatter

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
It's gaslighting, the meme has no other purpose. It could never have been benign.

I was being a tad disingenuous about its original intent, for the sake of diplomacy, but yes I agree 100%. malicious intent through and through

Originally posted by Blakemore
It looks like the white queen could check the black king or possibly checkmate because of the bishop but idk.

false. the white queen was clearly taken. Look just outside the bottom right corner of the chess board.

'"black man takes white queen away from white cop and lays her down"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.