Numbers of the CIS army??

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Eli Vanto
I've seen a lot of different numbers thrown around. Is there anything definitive regarding the total amount of droids and whatnot that were in the CIS army as a whole?

Galan007
The numbers were all over the place in Legends.

Ranging from potentially "hundreds of millions":
https://i.imgur.com/apY6vix.jpg
-Republic Commando

To "quadrillions":
https://i.imgur.com/MpqWIUl.jpg
-Insider #84

To "quintillions":
https://i.imgur.com/0p9rl9N.jpg
-Incredible Cross-Sections: RotS

But I've always thought the latter numbers were a massive exaggeration. Quadrillions/quintillions of droids would have absolutely raped the entire galaxy like ants on a picnic basket. The Republic/Jedi wouldn't have been able to make a dent in an army that vast.

In canon, one of the only sources we have to go by is Dooku mentioning that his droid armies outnumbered the Republic's clones "100 to 1"(this would have obviously been toward the start of the Clone Wars):
https://i.imgur.com/ya8U1aa.jpg
-TCW S01E01

And since the Republic had 1.2m clones at the time, this would have given the CIS army a total of 120m droids.

By TCW S03, the Republic commissioned the creation of an additional 5 million clones. So even if you highball the Republic's numbers tremendously, and assume that no clones had been killed in the war up to that point(which obviously isn't accurate), then it would put the total number of clones at 6.2m... And it's highly unlikely that the Republic had ordered additional clones afterward, given that the 5 million they purchased put a massive strain on their finances and damn near bankrupted the entire Republic.

But anyway, even if we assume the Republic army consisted of 6.2m clones, and the CIS army still outnumbered them 100/1, then it would put the CIS army's numbers at 620m... As a very high-end estimate.

Zenwolf
^ To be fair Galan, remember that the entire war was a complete farce and Sidious handed the Republic intel at times for a victory. I recall a source, can't remember which I think it was one of the FF, that the CIS was deliberately held back in terms of its total forces.

Though I think quintillions is a bit of an exaggeration there, quadrillions probably makes more sense, since the Empire had tens of trillions of personnel and they had the largest military in history. So the CIS couldn't possibly have quintillions.

Well this as far as Legends goes, although also recall according to Legends, that the GAR weren't the only forces fighting, there were other allies that they had too that made up a large portion.

Total Warrior
Tbh 500m droids doesn't seem a lot, for a galaxy with trillions, maybe quadrillions of inahbitants. I'd say there should be at least a few trillion droids. Granted that SW has unfortunately never been very "rational" with numbers. Like in the ST the whole resistance had like 300 soldiers, like in a galaxy this big you only have hundreds of soldiers? That's as if you resistance movement in our world consisted of... 5 people lol, facing an army. The space battles in ep 9 and ep 3 are more accurate, with hundreds of ships

Galan007
Originally posted by Zenwolf
^ To be fair Galan, remember that the entire war was a complete farce and Sidious handed the Republic intel at times for a victory. I recall a source, can't remember which I think it was one of the FF, that the CIS was deliberately held back in terms of its total forces.

Though I think quintillions is a bit of an exaggeration there, quadrillions probably makes more sense, since the Empire had tens of trillions of personnel and they had the largest military in history. So the CIS couldn't possibly have quintillions.

Well this as far as Legends goes, although also recall according to Legends, that the GAR weren't the only forces fighting, there were other allies that they had too that made up a large portion. Quadrillions > trillions, so the CIS couldn't have had quadrillions of droids either. Quintillions is obviously WAY over the top... A military that vast would have been fully unbeatable(it would equate to ~1 billion droids for every inhabitable planet in the galaxy.)

Even quadrillions is an absurd number, though. That would still work out to something like 1 million droids for every single inhabitable planet in the galaxy.

It seems like the Legends CIS army had hundreds of millions(maybe billions) of droids -- as you said, the GE as a whole was made up of trillions of personnel and it was the largest military in history, so the CIS would have been inferior to that.

In canon, the CIS army was comprised of hundreds of millions of droids, which seems a little more realistic as far as the production process is concerned.

Originally posted by Total Warrior
Tbh 500m droids doesn't seem a lot, for a galaxy with trillions, maybe quadrillions of inahbitants. I'd say there should be at least a few trillion droids. Granted that SW has unfortunately never been very "rational" with numbers. Like in the ST the whole resistance had like 300 soldiers, like in a galaxy this big you only have hundreds of soldiers? That's as if you resistance movement in our world consisted of... 5 people lol, facing an army. The space battles in ep 9 and ep 3 are more accurate, with hundreds of ships The numbers cited in the films have always been stupidly low, tbh.

The very fact that the Republic was ready to wage an all-out galactic war with only 1.2 million troops is retarded.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Galan007
Quadrillions > trillions

Really?.....Well damn I feel dumb now lol. big grin Or maybe I was thinking Billions?.../Shrug, oh well if you can't laugh at yourself! Still trying to wake up I guess.

Of course the tens of trillions just applies to Imperial Army, the Navy has trillions and Stormtrooper Corps is undetermined. So adding all that together is still pretty high.

Though other sources do paint the Empire as having limitless resources/reach and all that, so regardless yeah, the Empire would be bigger anyway. The Rebellion CG is the only source I've seen with a hard number or around there.

Eli Vanto
In canon, the CIS army was comprised of hundreds of millions of droids, which seems a little more realistic as far as the production process is concerned. What makes you say that? AOTC showed the droids being built at one of the factories, and it seemed like they were cranking out HUGE numbers.

Galan007
For the CIS to manufacture 1 quadrillion droids over the course of the Clone Wars, it means they'd have to produce upwards of 900 BILLION droids every single day -- or roughly 37.5 BILLION droids per hour -- or roughly 1.5 BILLION droids per minute. Every minute. For 3 years straight.

To produce 1 quintillion droids, they'd have to manufacture upwards of 900 TRILLION droids every single day -- or roughly 37.5 TRILLION droids per hour -- or roughly 1.5 TRILLION droids per minute. Every minute. For 3 years straight.

Then of course those numbers would at least double, considering the quotes state "quadrillionS"(plural) and/or "quintillionS"(plural).

Hard to believe their production factories had that kind of output capability, along with the resources to fuel it.

Zenwolf
For the CIS to manufacture 1 quadrillion droids over the course of the Clone Wars, it means they'd have to produce upwards of 900 BILLION droids every single day -- or roughly 37.5 BILLION droids per hour -- or roughly 1.5 BILLION droids per minute. Every minute. For 3 years straight.

To produce 1 quintillion droids, they'd have to manufacture upwards of 900 TRILLION droids every single day -- or roughly 37.5 TRILLION droids per hour -- or roughly 1.5 TRILLION droids per minute. Every minute. For 3 years straight.

Then of course those numbers would at least double, considering the quotes state "quadrillionS"(plural) and/or "quintillionS"(plural).

Hard to believe their production factories had that kind of output capability, along with the resources to fuel it.

I mean, resources in SW never seem to really be much of a thought lol. Just look at the ST with Starkiller base then with Sidious' new faction being able to produce all those Star Destroyers. No one in the galaxy noticed any of that with resources dropping....apparently.

Legends, the GE was able to build 2 Death Stars along with several other superweapons(Suncrusher, World Desvestators etc) , fund various projects IE: TIE Hunter/Phantom/Aggressor, superlaser equipped ISDs, superlaser equipped SSDs and like a whole bunch of other stuff, while ontop of maintaining/expanding their Navy/keeping their men fed/funded too.

Resources are just...there and used.

Galan007
Right.

And I mean, we know the CIS didn't have those kind of numbers(even in Legends), because that would have made it a far greater military than the GE... Which it factually was not.

I was just explaining to Eli why producing hundreds of millions(maybe billions) of droids seems far more realistic than producing quadrillions or quintillions of them.

Zenwolf
Right.

And I mean, we know the CIS didn't have those kind of numbers(even in Legends), because that would have made it a far greater military than the GE... Which it factually was not.

I was just explaining to Eli why producing hundreds of millions(maybe billions) of droids seems far more realistic than producing quadrillions or quintillions of them.

Billions seem better than hundreds of millions, the galaxy is huge. So even if we don't go with quadrillions or quintillions, billions seem fitting.

Galan007
I agree. Billions of droids seems fitting, and also more attainable for the CIS to manufacture.

Did Legends clarify how many military personnel the Republic had during TCW?

Zenwolf
I agree. Billions of droids seems fitting, and also more attainable for the CIS to manufacture.

Did Legends clarify how many military personnel the Republic had during TCW?

In total? Not sure, don't think so. There was just the GAR and then some other forces that they had which helped with planetary fighting. But it's been awhile since I've looked through any kind of numbers.

Galan007
I was just curious because in canon the Republic only had a total of 6.2 million clones manufactured during TCW.

Where Legends is concerned, I know it was stated in Republic Commando that the GAR had increased to "three million men" about one year after AotC, but I couldn't remember if the numbers were stated to have grown significantly after that..?

Zenwolf

Where Legends is concerned, I know it was stated in Republic Commando that the GAR had increased to "three million men" about one year after AotC, but I couldn't remember if the numbers were stated to have grown significantly after that..?

Alright so found something, according to the Essential Guide to Warfare, Yoda went with 200k Clones to Geonosis, later on 1 million was ready for deployment soon after the Geonosis battle which was part of the 3 million Clones of the initial order.

The Sector Armies of which there were 20 had 150k Clones and this number growing dramatically as Clones were grown.

Now if the numbers grew dramatically, it's probably going to be at least another 3 million if Kamino can grow that many without really needing to push for it.

Taking into account the 20 Sector Armies ontop of the GAR, total Republic Forces while probably not reaching to CIS numbers, is most likely going to be much bigger than 6 million. In fact I'm recalling that the GAR did have other cloning facilities, not just Kamino.

So really if Kamino can put out 3 million clones as an initial order before the war even really gets going, pushing into dramatic, they'll probably be able to match another 3 million or higher, along with the other cloning facilities in the galaxy + whatever Sector Army personnel.

Galan007
Good stuff.

So I take it the Kaminoans also sped up the 'growing' process for clones in Legends? Because as of AotC, they had a growth rate 2x that of a normal human, so it still took them about 10 years to become combat ready.

Zenwolf
Good stuff.

So I take it the Kaminoans also sped up the 'growing' process for clones in Legends? Because as of AotC, they had a growth rate 2x that of a normal human, so it still took them about 10 years to become combat ready.

I would think so since the Clone Wars only lasted what....3 years? I'm guessing that 10 years was more due to figuring everything out as far as training, supplies, vehicles etc rather than just growing the clones, thus so the clones could be combat ready with all their stuff. When all that other stuff was good, the cloning process probably wasn't nearly as difficult/long.

On a note, does the new Canon even mention other Republic forces? Cause from what TCW goes, it seems like the GAR is the Repulic's only army which makes the whole Clone Wars seem really...small, if the only have a whooping 6 million.

Legends having the GAR + Sector Armies, makes the Clone Wars seem much bigger.

Galan007
On a note, does the new Canon even mention other Republic forces? Cause from what TCW goes, it seems like the GAR is the Repulic's only army which makes the whole Clone Wars seem really...small, if the only have a whooping 6 million During TCW, Padme mentioned other Republic forces aside from just the clone army:
"I support our brave soldiers. Whether they come from the cloning facilities on Kamino, or from the thousands of worlds loyal to the Republic."

We just didn't see much of those 'other guys' at all.

Zenwolf
During TCW, Padme mentioned other Republic forces aside from just the clone army:
"I support our brave soldiers. Whether they come from the cloning facilities on Kamino, or from the thousands of worlds loyal to the Republic."

Ah fair enough.

Zenwolf
During TCW, Padme mentioned other Republic forces aside from just the clone army:

Although on a note, isn't the galaxy much smaller in the New Canon than the old?

From what I'm seeing of the New Canon Galaxy..

It's only 100k light years in size with only 3.2 million star systems.

Compared to the old Canon which is..

120k LY across with 3.2 billion star systems. Well this just being habitated, the total number of star systems is actually 180 billion, with 7.1 billion habitable stars.

ares834
Even quadrillions is an absurd number, though. That would still work out to something like 1 million droids for every single inhabitable planet in the galaxy.

Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Galan007
Although on a note, isn't the galaxy much smaller in the New Canon than the old?

From what I'm seeing of the New Canon Galaxy..

It's only 100k light years in size with only 3.2 million star systems.

Compared to the old Canon which is..

120k LY across with 3.2 billion star systems. Well this just being habitated, the total number of star systems is actually 180 billion, with 7.1 billion habitable stars. Yeah, that's how large it was stated to be in the 2017 Visual Encyclopedia. As far as habitable systems are concerned, there's far less in the charted galaxy than there was in Legends. Not sure why they randomly decreased the number by an order of magnitude..? I'd like to say it was a typo, but that's just a copout lol.

Zenwolf
Yeah, that's how large it was stated to be in the 2017 Visual Encyclopedia. As far as habitable systems are concerned, there's far less in the charted galaxy than there was in Legends. Not sure why they randomly decreased the number by an order of magnitude..? I'd like to say it was a typo, but that's just a copout lol.

I mean if it's been 3 years, I'm sure it would have been rectified by now if it was an oversight. But yeah, that decrease is kinda big.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.