Demon's Souls

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Arachnid1
Bluepoint ****ing killed this remake. It looks great.

OF2IDIB-n7k

https://assets.vg247.com/current//2020/06/demons_souls_ps5_reveal_screen_3.jpg

https://s31092.pcdn.co/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/demons-03-1920x1080.jpg

https://assets.vg247.com/current//2020/06/demons_souls_ps5_reveal_screen_2.jpg

StyleTime
Tears came to my eyes.

I need Demon's Souls in my life.

Adam Grimes
I'm so ****ing hype for this. It's the only souls game I never got to play.

NewGuy01
Looks awesome.

Too bad I played and beat Demon's Souls for the first time this friggin' week. Ain't that some unfortunate timing.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by NewGuy01
Looks awesome.

Too bad I played and beat Demon's Souls for the first time this friggin' week. Ain't that some unfortunate timing. You think that makes you better then us, PUNK?

NewGuy01
what

Jmanghan
what what

Jmanghan
On topic, this is pretty cool.

Arachnid1
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/810z0nFKivL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81MkXynJ64L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81%2Bu5xDhmML._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Arachnid1
RdCqTIujeoc

ares834
"Also available on PC"

Good.

cdtm
Looks like we have another pandemic.

Because this game looks like one to avoid like the plague.

Jmanghan
Dark Souls? What is Dark Souls? -kicks away- **** YEAH, DEMON'S SOULS BABY!!!

That gameplay looks so much better then any of the Souls games, in all honesty.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by cdtm
Looks like we have another pandemic.

Because this game looks like one to avoid like the plague. I'll gladly catch this disease. This game looks too good to ignore.

Originally posted by Jmanghan
Dark Souls? What is Dark Souls? -kicks away- **** YEAH, DEMON'S SOULS BABY!!!

That gameplay looks so much better then any of the Souls games, in all honesty. Something about it looks a little stiff weirdly, so IDK. It still looks great, but I need to feel movement for myself.

cdtm
Originally posted by Arachnid1
I'll gladly catch this disease. This game looks too good to ignore.

Something about it looks a little stiff weirdly, so IDK. It still looks great, but I need to feel movement for myself.

See, you get it. Even if you're willing to play this abomination.

See, what's happening here is the same thing that followed the Doom craze in the 90's, and every other game released was a mediocre fps. They did the same thing for the godawful CoD clones (Which I never bought into)

And now it's Dark Souls turn. That's why Jedi Fallen Order rehashed the Dark Souls mechanics. That's why this lazy assed reboot is being released.

It's the laziest form of game development, and people eat it up because the original was just that good, not realizing all they're getting is watered down versions of better games made with sucralose instead of sugar at best, and some chemical additive that shuts down your kidney's at worst.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by ares834
"Also available on PC"

Good.
Is it though?

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1306359667954716704

https://www.pcgamer.com/hell-yeah-the-demons-souls-remake-is-coming-to-pc/

cdtm
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Is it though?

Wanna bet it was the genuine truth at the time and a deal fell through?

Probably MS's fault.

Kazenji
See, you get it. Even if you're willing to play this abomination.

See, what's happening here is the same thing that followed the Doom craze in the 90's, and every other game released was a mediocre fps. They did the same thing for the godawful CoD clones (Which I never bought into)

And now it's Dark Souls turn. That's why Jedi Fallen Order rehashed the Dark Souls mechanics. That's why this lazy assed reboot is being released.

It's the laziest form of game development, and people eat it up because the original was just that good, not realizing all they're getting is watered down versions of better games made with sucralose instead of sugar at best, and some chemical additive that shuts down your kidney's at worst.

Keep on trolling.

BackFire
Never played this. Looks nice.

StyleTime
I do wonder if how much of the gameplay will be updated to account for things FROM has learned from later installations. I liked Demon's Souls, but it is an older game. If you're someone who jumped into the series later, you might be expecting something else. DS3 is the most similar granted, but still not totally the same. It might be like jumping into Resident Evil at 5/6 then playing RE2 Remake. Maybe not that stark of a contrast, but still...heads up.

It will be interesting how World Tendency will play out, since the Souls titles have many more players now. Or how certain magic, like Banish, might get reworked. No lightning spells at all in the game. Fire magic was just sorcery since pyromancy didn't exist. It was a different time.

Regardless, I will be starting with a Royal and pew pewing everything in thing site.

ares834
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Is it though?

Let's hope. This may be all bluster on Sony's part.

Arachnid1
C7NqSTQvRBw&feature=emb_logo

https://64.media.tumblr.com/cc9a94c436459dcf96da03fa1630b4d7/62893465568f2d8e-71/s540x810/855c21a6cc493f8f522f6ba202464afc2b2f320d.gif

My god, it's beautiful. That is a proper next gen game.

Arachnid1
https://i.imgur.com/PLRqmFl.gif

cdtm
Originally posted by BackFire
Never played this. Looks nice.

Just get the original. Remakes never turn out well.

NewGuy01
Oh, buzz off. It's going to be perfectly fine.

NewGuy01
Originally posted by StyleTime
I do wonder if how much of the gameplay will be updated to account for things FROM has learned from later installations.

There's going to be 360 degree rolling, casting magic will somehow make use of the haptic capabilities of the new controllers, and the animations for the weapon movesets will be changed. You'll have the option to play with a modernized camera system, or switch back to the classic one. The healing system will be re-balanced. But the enemy AI will remain the same, hitboxes will remain the same, and your character's attack patterns and hitboxes will be the same (the new animations will look different, but the actual range and timing will be untouched.)

All of this will be the same, but the visual presentation will be different.

cdtm
Oh, buzz off. It's going to be perfectly fine.

Perhaps. I haven't touched the DMC HD collection ever since seeing comparisons of what the HD cut out, like certain visual effects and animations. Ninja Gaiden Sigma is the same, removing the awesome after image effects of the Flying Swallow for one.

One thing is certain, Dark Souls is still the better game. smile

StyleTime
Just get the original. Remakes never turn out well.
Plenty of remakes turn out well, or even better than the original. Medieval is a shot for shot remake of the original with modern graphics, so it's by default better. Resident Evil remakes generally outdo the originals, with the exception of 3. R3make was still good, but the cut content hurts it when comparing it to the original. Final Fantasy Remakes generally outdo their predecessors as well.

Granted, some later versions of Final Fantasy I(like the Android version) were dogshit. They made the games super easy for absolutely no reason at all and generally killed the enjoyment of playing it. These were kinda remakes of remakes though, so maybe pulling a remake-ception is a bad idea? I guess it depends on where we draw the line between port to remake.

Perhaps. I haven't touched the DMC HD collection ever since seeing comparisons of what the HD cut out, like certain visual effects and animations. Ninja Gaiden Sigma is the same, removing the awesome after image effects of the Flying Swallow for one.

One thing is certain, Dark Souls is still the better game. smile
On the other hand, Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge >>>>> Ninja Gaiden 3.

That discussion is more about Demon's Souls vs Dark Souls though, rather than Demon's Souls vs Demon's Souls Remake.

The one thing I'll grant you is that the remake is not being handled by FromSoftware , so we're basically trusting Bluepoint Games not to **** it up.

I've never played any of their remasters or their remake of Shadow of the Colossus, so I can't comment on that. Assuming Newguy is right, and they stick to what made Demon's Souls great to begin with, it should be solid.

cdtm
Long as Backbone Entertainment/Digital Eclipse is nowhere near it. They mess everything up.

There's a reason they say "You've been backboned".

Khazra Reborn
Aesthetically, this looks great, but it's not from soft. Not even from softs b-team has been able to get the souls combat correct.

NewGuy01
Then it's a good thing the combat is literally copy/pasted from the original.

Khazra Reborn
DS2's combat was supposedly copied directly from the original as well, and look how that turned out. I'm not shitting on this or anything, it could turn out to be great, but there are definitely reasons to be skeptical at this point.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Khazra Reborn
DS2's combat was supposedly copied directly from the original as well, and look how that turned out. I'm not shitting on this or anything, it could turn out to be great, but there are definitely reasons to be skeptical at this point. Isn't DS2 generally considered by the fanbase to have the best combat? The PvP was fantastic, not to mention the AWESOME power stance feature. Not sure what you mean.

Kazenji
Long as Backbone Entertainment/Digital Eclipse is nowhere near it. They mess everything up.

There's a reason they say "You've been backboned".

This remake is being done by Bluepoint Games who did the remake for Shadow of the Colossus, So yeah they know what they're doing in that department.

Khazra Reborn
Isn't DS2 generally considered by the fanbase to have the best combat? The PvP was fantastic, not to mention the AWESOME power stance feature. Not sure what you mean.

DS2 is widely considered the worst Souls game, by every metric and group I've ever seen. it has the best build variety imo, but it has so many flaws.

cdtm
Isn't DS2 generally considered by the fanbase to have the best combat? The PvP was fantastic, not to mention the AWESOME power stance feature. Not sure what you mean.

Not the best, but better than the shit show known as Bloodborne.

NewGuy01
DS2's combat was supposedly copied directly from the original as well, and look how that turned out. I'm not shitting on this or anything, it could turn out to be great, but there are definitely reasons to be skeptical at this point.
What? No, that doesn't make any sense. If Dark Souls 2's combat was "copied directly" from the original, then all of the enemies would be the same, and would behave the same. Dark Souls 2 had entirely new enemy types, with entirely different movesets, entirely different hitboxes, and presumably new AI.

When I say Demon's Souls is going to be the same as Demon's Souls... I'm not saying it's going to imitate Demon's Souls, I mean it's going to be exactly the same. As in, copy/pasted. The AI isn't being touched, the hitboxes aren't being touched. Only the models and the animations are being updated. i.e. things that don't actually affect the mechanics.

The only change that could affect the flow of combat is the player character's 4-directional rolling being upgraded to 8-directional rolling. But I fail to see how that could ruin the formula, given that all of From Soft's titles have also had 8-directional rolling for more than 5 years now.

NewGuy01
Not the best, but better than the shit show known as Bloodborne.
Bloodborne is arguably the best of them all.

Kazenji
^ And it is, Further proof Cdtm has shit taste.

cdtm
Dark Souls 1 is the best.

NewGuy01
I want to agree... that quality dip in the last 1/3rd though...

cdtm
These games are kind of hilarious if you imagine the "Violent games are corrupting the children" crowd looking at them.

They'd probably have a stroke looking at the gore.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Kazenji
^ And it is, Further proof Cdtm has shit taste. Yep.

Bloodborne is game of the god damn gen.

Astner
The colors are overly-saturated, the red-blue light dynamic is trite, and the new enemy-designs look generic. Nevertheless I had to get it.

https://i.imgur.com/8WFfAdU.png

NemeBro
DS2's combat was supposedly copied directly from the original as well, and look how that turned out. I'm not shitting on this or anything, it could turn out to be great, but there are definitely reasons to be skeptical at this point. Dark Souls 2 has better combat than 1 so no, it isn't.

ares834
DS>BB>DS3>DS2>DeS

Astner
Bloodborne is the most fun to run through once, but repeated play-throughs are a choir since there are very few ways to play the game.

Dark Souls is probably the best.

Astner
chore*

Khazra Reborn
Originally posted by NemeBro
Dark Souls 2 has better combat than 1 so no, it isn't.

No way. DS1 has way better combat than 2.

NemeBro
No way. DS1 has way better combat than 2. No, it has better overall gameplay, primarily due to better boss and level design. The combat itself in 2 is better by virtue of its greater variety alone.

Adam Grimes
No, it has better overall gameplay, primarily due to better boss and level design. The combat itself in 2 is better by virtue of its greater variety alone. Care to go into detail?

Astner
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
Care to go into detail?
I think he means in terms of available (and viable) weapons, armors, consumables and spells.

The 25% equip burden and the poise system really limited viable armor piece combinations.

Astner
New trailer released today.

iQXBMiLSYJo

cdtm
Dante's Inferno isn't getting a remaster.

I never played it, but everyone compared it to Demons Souls all the time.

NewGuy01
No, it was more along the lines of GOW, DMC, Ninja Gaiden, and so on.

NewGuy01
No, it has better overall gameplay, primarily due to better boss and level design. The combat itself in 2 is better by virtue of its greater variety alone.
What are you defining as combat, exactly? Yes, Dark Souls 2 had a ton of build variety, and all sorts of permutations not only existed, but were able to be made viable. That's not in dispute.

But the janky movement? Walling off i-frames behind the ADP stat? What about the clumsy hitboxes that consistently allow enemies to hit you from a meter away? And why are you counting the boss/enemy design as something separate from the combat? I'd argue even the level design is relevant. The lack of enemy variety, plus the tendency to pack rooms with obnoxious numbers of them to artificially increase the difficulty, doesn't that also factor in to your combat experience?

Dark Souls II has a special place in my heart, and I hate to hate on it since it's already grossly underappreciated, but better combat than DS1? I can't get behind that. Maybe if we restrict it to PVP.

Stoic
If no one has played the new version, why wouldn't they make the combat better than any souls type of game in existence? You'd think that graphics quality wouldn't be the only thing reworked, or at least I'm hoping it isn't. Must have this game. It's one of the reasons that I'm getting a PS5. Well that and GOW.

NemeBro
What are you defining as combat, exactly? Yes, Dark Souls 2 had a ton of build variety, and all sorts of permutations not only existed, but were able to be made viable. That's not in dispute. That's pretty much largely all I consider when talking about combat. That Dark Souls 2 is a worse gameplay experience has little to do with the combat and more to do with the problems I'm sure you've heard people have with it, be they the railroaded level design or the uninspired boss design.

Acknowledging that the PVP is better is just an admission of it having better combat IMHO. When it's just two players fighting each other and you're not forced to deal with the inferior enemy design and level design the combat alone has to carry the gameplay experience and I think it largely does compared to 1, at least when you don't get lag-stabbed by the enemy player.

Jmanghan
Dark Souls 1 is the best. I've never played Bloodborne but I have to agree here, DS1 is probably the best.

NemeBro
SOUL:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/57lY7mxnNXI/maxresdefault.jpg

SOULLESS:

https://static2.thegamerimages.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Demons-Souls-Fat-Official.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=740&h=370

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.