Slasher movies suck!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.



robotflug
All those movies with killers holding knives or sharp weapons are the worst. The main characters only survive due to luck and timing, no matter how smart and competent the character is, that character shouldn't have lived through what just happened and the only reason they are still alive is because of luck of the draw or their timing. The cops never care about anything, The cops don't care, can't help, don't notice, or refuse to believe anything anyone during the crisis. The main characters are Cannon Fodder are just worthless Helpless Idiots that are dumber than Peter Griffin from Family Guy. Those Stupid characters make horrible decisions and die or barely survive. it's like they're actually suicidal, there's a dangerous evil man on the loose, but that character is going to go out to the tool shed by himself/herself to see about getting the electricity back on. For some reason that character will be conveniently surrounded by sharp garden tools in the dark. It's really boring, stupid violence for the sake of bloody violence. The villains are Invincible is just flatout lame,It's just rage worthy and predictable. A lot of the bad guys are unstoppable, but via intelligence not physically.

Examples of such crappy Slasher movies are Halloween, Scream, Jigsaw, Childs Play, Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm Street and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Flyattractor
...but tell us how you really feel.

riv6672
Originally posted by robotflug
All those movies with killers holding knives or sharp weapons are the worst. The main characters only survive due to luck and timing, no matter how smart and competent the character is, that character shouldn't have lived through what just happened and the only reason they are still alive is because of luck of the draw or their timing. The cops never care about anything, The cops don't care, can't help, don't notice, or refuse to believe anything anyone during the crisis. The main characters are Cannon Fodder are just worthless Helpless Idiots that are dumber than Peter Griffin from Family Guy. Those Stupid characters make horrible decisions and die or barely survive. it's like they're actually suicidal, there's a dangerous evil man on the loose, but that character is going to go out to the tool shed by himself/herself to see about getting the electricity back on. For some reason that character will be conveniently surrounded by sharp garden tools in the dark. It's really boring, stupid violence for the sake of bloody violence. The villains are Invincible is just flatout lame,It's just rage worthy and predictable. A lot of the bad guys are unstoppable, but via intelligence not physically.

Examples of such crappy Slasher movies are Halloween, Scream, Jigsaw, Childs Play, Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm Street and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
Not a fan, eh?

Jmanghan
Originally posted by robotflug
All those movies with killers holding knives or sharp weapons are the worst. The main characters only survive due to luck and timing, no matter how smart and competent the character is, that character shouldn't have lived through what just happened and the only reason they are still alive is because of luck of the draw or their timing. The cops never care about anything, The cops don't care, can't help, don't notice, or refuse to believe anything anyone during the crisis. The main characters are Cannon Fodder are just worthless Helpless Idiots that are dumber than Peter Griffin from Family Guy. Those Stupid characters make horrible decisions and die or barely survive. it's like they're actually suicidal, there's a dangerous evil man on the loose, but that character is going to go out to the tool shed by himself/herself to see about getting the electricity back on. For some reason that character will be conveniently surrounded by sharp garden tools in the dark. It's really boring, stupid violence for the sake of bloody violence. The villains are Invincible is just flatout lame,It's just rage worthy and predictable. A lot of the bad guys are unstoppable, but via intelligence not physically.

Examples of such crappy Slasher movies are Halloween, Scream, Jigsaw, Childs Play, Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm Street and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Did you just... go after Halloween? You ****?

Surtur
I'm honestly not a huge fan of slasher movies for the most part.

Still, I did enjoy Scream...but that had the advantage of being a whodunit too.

roughrider
Too many slasher films are stupid, yes. After The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Black Christmas and Halloween created the archetypes in the 1970's - and all managed to be well made, intelligent in narrative and thrilling even while being nearly bloodless in the killing - the imitators decided the only way to 'outdue' those movies was to up the ante in gore. Call it the Friday the 13th effect, which from it's beginning in 1980 turned slasher violence into the equal of sex in hard core porn, where the victims aren't just killed but mutilated in a shocking, repulsive way. By the late 1980's, audiences going to a Friday the 13th movie found the best way to enjoy it was to cheer for Jason against those idiot teenagers. Laughter would happen instead of screams.

I don't mind gore that much, but I could always do with less. It's the buildup of anticipation in a horror movie that gets me, not the moneyshot. So my kind of horror movie I have to search for. Many millennials may find films lacking gore are too old fashioned, but I don't agree.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Surtur
I'm honestly not a huge fan of slasher movies for the most part.

Still, I did enjoy Scream...but that had the advantage of being a whodunit too. Yeah but like... Halloween though.

Lumping the original Halloween in with the rest of those chumps is sickening. Scream is good though.

I don't care what anyone says, the Friday the 13th series' really aren't all that good. Their plots are awful, and their main characters are shit.

Modern Slashers that are phenomenal AND have interesting plots:

You're Next (2011)
Come to Daddy (2020)
Happy Death Day (2017)
Mandy (2018)
Happy Death Day 2U (2019)
Ready or Not (2019)
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007)
Better Watch Out (2016)
Cabin in the Woods (2012)
The Witch (2016)
The Descent (2005)

There's wayyy more I could recommend, but if you're into horror movies at all you owe it to yourself to check these out.

Jmanghan
It's not a slasher, but I also have to seriously recommend "The Thing (1982)", for having the smartest main protagonists in a horror film outside of "You're Next".

robotflug
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Did you just... go after Halloween? You ****?

Why does that bother you?, I've never found anything interesting about these Slasher movies.

Flyattractor
I can vibe with this. I feel the same way about romantic or dramatic movies... that don't have some good nude moments to distract me with.


Slashers are AWESOME for that!

Kazenji
Originally posted by Jmanghan

I don't care what anyone says, the Friday the 13th series' really aren't all that good. Their plots are awful, and their main characters are shit.


That's because you gotta turn your brain off to enjoy them.

Flyattractor
Better it be your choice rather then some high brow flick that bores you into that mental state against your will.

Kazenji
^ Yeah...because you have such great taste in film yourself, child.. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Flyattractor
I know what I like and Like what I know.

dynamix
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Yeah but like... Halloween though.

Lumping the original Halloween in with the rest of those chumps is sickening. Scream is good though.

I don't care what anyone says, the Friday the 13th series' really aren't all that good. Their plots are awful, and their main characters are shit.

Modern Slashers that are phenomenal AND have interesting plots:

You're Next (2011)
Come to Daddy (2020)
Happy Death Day (2017)
Mandy (2018)
Happy Death Day 2U (2019)
Ready or Not (2019)
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007)
Better Watch Out (2016)
Cabin in the Woods (2012)
The Witch (2016)
The Descent (2005)

There's wayyy more I could recommend, but if you're into horror movies at all you owe it to yourself to check these out.

hmm im not sure i'd put the witch and the descent in the slasher category. happy death day was awesome. i also like Hush, wolf creek and high tension if we're talking modern.

riv6672

robotflug
Those Slasher movies really do too much exaggerating for the stories and characters.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by dynamix
hmm im not sure i'd put the witch and the descent in the slasher category. happy death day was awesome. i also like Hush, wolf creek and high tension if we're talking modern. The Descent I can kinda see but they kinda remind me of Wrong Turn and The Hills Have Eyes. Mainly because they're still just mutants, its a bunch of kills only using their claws, hands, and feet instead of wearing masks and killing with knives, the setting is different but so what.

The Witcher is a horror movie but it's also a slasher, family members are getting killed left and right by a human that just so happens to be a witch.

roughrider
Despite the gore, I very much admire the first Descent movie. It's Neil Marshall's best work to date. I also am I big fan of The Strangers (2008) - watching it in a theatre seriously spooked me.

riv6672
Originally posted by roughrider
Despite the gore, I very much admire the first Descent movie. It's Neil Marshall's best work to date. I also am I big fan of The Strangers (2008) - watching it in a theatre seriously spooked me.
Both good movies.

I remember watching THE DESCENT in a hotel room w. my family. We had the lights down, etc. I seriously had a jump scare at one point and my family still makes fun of me for it. stick out tongue

Jmanghan
The Descent was such a fantastic film. You could remove the monsters and it would still probably be scary.

riv6672
Originally posted by Jmanghan
The Descent was such a fantastic film. You could remove the monsters and it would still probably be scary.
Agreed.

A bunch of women arguing is ALWAYS scary. big grin

robotflug
The big problems with Slasher movies are these reasons.

1.The Main cast of characters including the police have no Brains at all, Just complete idiots that are useless. They do nothing right at all and always fail to get things right.

2.The Villains are boring one note killers that have no personality and just want to kill people for the sake of killing.

3.Slasher movies always get too much campy over the top sequels that are all over the place and get more ridiculous.

4.How do slasher movies with crappy stories even continue with sequels no matter how poorly written they are?.

5.Another thing that hurts these slasher movies is dragging the stories out just for the sake of making the movie last longer than its supposed to.

Flyattractor
Everything you said can be applied to almost EVERY movie series.

Eon Blue
Fly is a very wise and far reaching sage.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by robotflug
The big problems with Slasher movies are these reasons.

1.The Main cast of characters including the police have no Brains at all, Just complete idiots that are useless. They do nothing right at all and always fail to get things right.

2.The Villains are boring one note killers that have no personality and just want to kill people for the sake of killing.

3.Slasher movies always get too much campy over the top sequels that are all over the place and get more ridiculous.

4.How do slasher movies with crappy stories even continue with sequels no matter how poorly written they are?.

5.Another thing that hurts these slasher movies is dragging the stories out just for the sake of making the movie last longer than its supposed to. Maybe not a slasher, but seriously SERIOUSLY watch "The Thing (1982)" and for Slashers, watch "You're Next (2011)".

All those things about the protagonists being ****ing morons are not a thing in those movies, they are beyond smart in those movies to the point I'm like "Holy shit, I wouldn't have even thought of that."

Ez0YcXsWL8I

And if you wanna know why people are so dumb in Slasher movies, you should watch "Cabin in the Woods (2012)", because it gives a great explanation why people act so stupid and horny in em:
NsIilFNNmkY

riv6672
Originally posted by robotflug
The big problems with Slasher movies are these reasons.

1.The Main cast of characters including the police have no Brains at all, Just complete idiots that are useless. They do nothing right at all and always fail to get things right.

2.The Villains are boring one note killers that have no personality and just want to kill people for the sake of killing.

3.Slasher movies always get too much campy over the top sequels that are all over the place and get more ridiculous.

4.How do slasher movies with crappy stories even continue with sequels no matter how poorly written they are?.

5.Another thing that hurts these slasher movies is dragging the stories out just for the sake of making the movie last longer than its supposed to.
So...like any other movie/movie franchise then. stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.