Yoda senses the nothingness of Sidious

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sheev
From Queen's Peril which takes place during TPM-

"You sense something," Windu said. "Something you haven't told anyone else about."
"So clever you are, Master Windu," Yoda said. "And so close to the truth. But think you not in the right direction, I say."
"What other direction is there, Master?" Windu asked. "Either you sense something or you sense nothing."
"Open your mind, Master Windu," Yoda said. "If sensed nothing is, something must it be."
"No," he said finally. "Nothing can never be something. They are opposites."
"So sure you are," Yoda said. "Reassuring, it is. Never so sure of myself am I."
"You think differently?" Windu said. It was starting to feel like a debate with Qui-Gon, and neither of them really enjoyed those.
"I think I sense nothing," Yoda said. "Presume anything after that, I do not."
"I trust your judgment, Master Yoda," he said at last. "I know if there is an answer, you will find it."

Yoda didn't respond. Instead, he closed his eyes and reached for the calm of the living Force flowing through him. After a few minutes, he felt Windu get up and leave him alone with his thoughts, which was his favorite place to be.

The light surrounded him, the dark a comfortable distance from the limits of his perception. And yet there was something; rather, there was nothing. And it eluded him completely.

Even though Yoda doesn't realize it, the nothingness he is sensing is Sidious's concealment. So I guess Yoda was the first Jedi to sense Sidious (if you want to call it that.)

Galan007
Really shows you how complete his failure was.

Unbowed
No, it was Plagueis.

relentless1
and that was well before the dark side had taken control, when the Jedis ability to use the Force hadn't yet diminished, shows how powerful Sidious was even then

ares834
No. Yoda doesn't sense "nothingness" he senses "nothing". Quite different.

Freedon Nadd
I know the Sheev inside you wants to make Palpatine a Force Wound. But what Yoda means is that he is undetectable.

Sheev
Originally posted by ares834
No. Yoda doesn't sense "nothingness" he senses "nothing". Quite different. Same thing. The absence he sensed made Yoda uneasy.

Galan007
The "nothing" Yoda sensed was Sheev concealing himself... It wasn't a "black hole of the Force" sort of nothingness, if that's what you're getting at.

Bigger question I have is why Yoda didn't sense that same 'absence' in all the time he spent around Palpatine afterward..?

relentless1
Originally posted by Galan007
The "nothing" Yoda sensed was Sheev concealing himself... It wasn't a "black hole of the Force" sort of nothingness, if that's what you're getting at.

Bigger question I have is why Yoda didn't sense that same 'absence' in all the time he spent around Palpatine afterward..?

the Dark Side of the force clouded his vision; after Maul killed Qui Gon who was the only chance of raising Anakin right and after Palps became leader of the free world id imagine that was the first big tip of the Force towards the Dark Side in the galaxy at large

StiltmanFTW
Jinn would fail at raising Anakin, just like he failed with Xanatos.

Galan007
Originally posted by relentless1
the Dark Side of the force clouded his vision; after Maul killed Qui Gon who was the only chance of raising Anakin right and after Palps became leader of the free world id imagine that was the first big tip of the Force towards the Dark Side in the galaxy at large Granted, Palpatine obtained more bureaucratic power, but I don't think TPM was some huge tipping point that massively shifted the galactic balance towards the dark side, and began hindering the Jedi's senses.

That shift only started happening in AotC. Hence Mace's line that the Jedi's ability to use the Force had been diminished, and Yoda's line that the shroud of the dark side had fallen.

Point being: Yoda was face-to-face with Palpatine for years prior to AotC, so why did he not sense the same nothing/absence from him?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.