How big is your game collection?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan
I've gotta be boasting around 500 physical games, what about ya'll?

ares834
500 physical games? Jesus christ why? I could see why you might have that many if you include digital because of stuff like humble bundle and steam sales. But physical only?

Kazenji
When it comes to digital

Steam - 459 (including DLC too because it does) & with GOG - 169

i do have physical games too many to count.

Smasandian
15ish...I usually trade them in once I'm done.
But I rarely buy physical games anymore.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by ares834
500 physical games? Jesus christ why? I could see why you might have that many if you include digital because of stuff like humble bundle and steam sales. But physical only? Why not? It creates options in case stores shut down for that device (like the PSP's playstation store).

eThneoLgrRnae
Probably only have around 30 or so physical games and most of those are games I regret buying.

BackFire
I probably have somewhere around 500 if you count all the games for all the systems i have, including like the NES and Genesis and what not.

cdtm
Maybe around 30-50 physical games, at a guess. Most of those are PS2 games bought on sales, and more recent purchases from a local retro store.

A lot more if you include digital stuff in various libraries, from givaways and deep sales.

Jmanghan
I just don't think it's a good idea to risk it if (like me) you think, maybe not anytime soon, but 20-30 years down the line, Playstation, Xbox, or Nintendo could POSSIBLY SOMEHOW go bankrupt, or there could be a video game crash, anything could happen.

Plus, there was a point where I had only a PS2 and a PS Vita, and neither of them really hit my gaming needs, nor did I have a lot of money to buy games (or systems) that would if I could, my gaming needs consisted of massive open-world Action-RPG's akin to Skyrim and Dragon's Dogma.

So now I buy as many games that fit my interest as possible and as many systems as possible so being bored or left without a console or game that fits my needs is an absolute impossibility. (I buy tons of movies as well, but it's nowhere near as large as my game collection.)

-Pr-
Steam - 178
Battle.net - 1
Uplay - 26
Origin - 33

PSN/PS2/PS3/PS4 - Maybe two or three dozen.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by -Pr-
Steam - 178
Battle.net - 1
Uplay - 26
Origin - 33

PSN/PS2/PS3/PS4 - Maybe two or three dozen. If we're counting steam then my collection is a lot bigger, according to my "games" section on my profile which I think doesn't count free games, I have 365 of em.

Smasandian
Originally posted by Jmanghan
I just don't think it's a good idea to risk it if (like me) you think, maybe not anytime soon, but 20-30 years down the line, Playstation, Xbox, or Nintendo could POSSIBLY SOMEHOW go bankrupt, or there could be a video game crash, anything could happen.

Plus, there was a point where I had only a PS2 and a PS Vita, and neither of them really hit my gaming needs, nor did I have a lot of money to buy games (or systems) that would if I could, my gaming needs consisted of massive open-world Action-RPG's akin to Skyrim and Dragon's Dogma.

So now I buy as many games that fit my interest as possible and as many systems as possible so being bored or left without a console or game that fits my needs is an absolute impossibility. (I buy tons of movies as well, but it's nowhere near as large as my game collection.)

In most cases, those games will be available somewhere else. However, there has been cases where IP's ownership has been muddled so having a physical copy could be beneficial. But in this day in age, the idea of losing out on your digital copies seems to be the same chance of somebody stealing, breaking, losing your physical copy.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Smasandian
In most cases, those games will be available somewhere else. However, there has been cases where IP's ownership has been muddled so having a physical copy could be beneficial. But in this day in age, the idea of losing out on your digital copies seems to be the same chance of somebody stealing, breaking, losing your physical copy. But... tbh chances are in 100 years, there will be at least 10 physical copies around regardless of what game you want, and sadly that just won't be the case with digital. I mean it MIGHT, but you'll have to keep repurchasing it.

Like for example in terms of the PSP, I guarantee you I'll be able to find a copy of something like "Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker", "Final Fantasy Dissidia", and "Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII".

ares834
100 years from now, I doubt many physical game will still be working. Not to mention the console.

Why not? It creates options in case stores shut down for that device (like the PSP's playstation store).

Assuming you've been playing for no more than 20 years, that 2 game very month... How do you find the time?

Smasandian
But... tbh chances are in 100 years, there will be at least 10 physical copies around regardless of what game you want, and sadly that just won't be the case with digital. I mean it MIGHT, but you'll have to keep repurchasing it.

Like for example in terms of the PSP, I guarantee you I'll be able to find a copy of something like "Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker", "Final Fantasy Dissidia", and "Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII".

I bought Sid Meires Pirates remake when it was released mid 2000. Eventually I traded it in (when you still could). I had to repurchase the digital version last year because I was like nostalgic for it...and I paid $2...the same amount I pay for a coffee. Am I really going to hold all my physical games (385 on Steam, maybe 20ish on different platforms) so I save myself $5 down the road? Meh.

Physical copies are going away...you can see it starting with the new console releases (PS5 has an non disc version), Xbox moving towards Game Pass and its streaming service. If there is a new console after these (and I would not be suprised if this is the last generation), it will probably be all digital.

NewGuy01
Fairly large, definitely in excess of a hundred. The number has remained stagnant over the last decade or so, though, since everything went digital with this past generation.

Trocity
Most of my games are digital now. Not having to pay the extra 10 dollars in tax for full price games really adds up. Plus it is way more convenient.

Jmanghan
I bought Sid Meires Pirates remake when it was released mid 2000. Eventually I traded it in (when you still could). I had to repurchase the digital version last year because I was like nostalgic for it...and I paid $2...the same amount I pay for a coffee. Am I really going to hold all my physical games (385 on Steam, maybe 20ish on different platforms) so I save myself $5 down the road? Meh.

Physical copies are going away...you can see it starting with the new console releases (PS5 has an non disc version), Xbox moving towards Game Pass and its streaming service. If there is a new console after these (and I would not be suprised if this is the last generation), it will probably be all digital. All I'm saying is as an old man you'll have had to repurchase that game 5-6 times.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by ares834
100 years from now, I doubt many physical game will still be working. Not to mention the console.

Assuming you've been playing for no more than 20 years, that 2 game very month... How do you find the time? So you're saying the PSP, which sold 82 million copies across all different regions, and it's best-selling game which sold 8 million itself, aren't going to be around in 100 years?

There's no reason to believe that as long as you take care of them and are fairly immaculate with them, they'll stick around, yes I know the NES is nowhere near 100 years old, but think about how many NES's you can still buy, hell you can still pick up an original gameboy.

I bought an NES in-box for my uncle just as a christmas present and it worked fine and is still working to this day as far as I know.

Yes the number will go down, but you can even find BRAND NEW unopened NES's, go check ebay right now, I guarantee you'll find at least 5.

The likelihood of there not being at least 50,000 working PS2's 100 years from now is very low, especially when there are tech-savvy people around to replace parts.

Here's a friggen PS1:
7t4KIYOipQM

ares834
I never said that all of them won't be working I said I doubt many will be. And yes, I believe that's very accurate. 50,000 is a very small number comparatively speaking. The price to buy a working PS would be enormous. Plus the newer consoles have a relatively shorter lifespan.

StyleTime
I don't think I ever owned more than 30 physical games at once.

You're forgetting about DRM free games. Salt & Sactuary is yours to own, and I copied it from Steam to my computer and it runs on it's own. There's others like: Civilization III Complete, Darksiders III(not the DLC I believe), the entire Divinity franchise, Final Fantasy IX/X/X-2/XII: Zodiac Age, Hollow Knight, a couple of Oddworld games, All the Sega MegaDrive classics packs, the early Sonic games, +100's more.

And this isn't even including GoG.com, which is all DRM free games. Or developers who only make DRM free games.

Additionally, in 100 years, the only working old consoles will be in museums. And any catastrophe that would end the entire games industry would likely end society tbh. I doubt you'll even have electricity. Video games are the largest entertainment sector by far. You'd have to devastate humanity to get rid of it at this point.

And 100 years from now, gaming will be the most insane virtual reality experience we could ever imagine. I doubt we'd want to revisit PS2 era games for anything other than history lessons. Modern games will be to next-century gamers what The Great Train Robbery is to modern movie goers: strictly watched in film history classes.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by StyleTime
I don't think I ever owned more than 30 physical games at once.

You're forgetting about DRM free games. Salt & Sactuary is yours to own, and I copied it from Steam to my computer and it runs on it's own. There's others like: Civilization III Complete, Darksiders III(not the DLC I believe), the entire Divinity franchise, Final Fantasy IX/X/X-2/XII: Zodiac Age, Hollow Knight, a couple of Oddworld games, All the Sega MegaDrive classics packs, the early Sonic games, +100's more.

And this isn't even including GoG.com, which is all DRM free games. Or developers who only make DRM free games.

Additionally, in 100 years, the only working old consoles will be in museums. And any catastrophe that would end the entire games industry would likely end society tbh. I doubt you'll even have electricity. Video games are the largest entertainment sector by far. You'd have to devastate humanity to get rid of it at this point.

And 100 years from now, gaming will be the most insane virtual reality experience we could ever imagine. I doubt we'd want to revisit PS2 era games for anything other than history lessons. Modern games will be to next-century gamers what The Great Train Robbery is to modern movie goers: strictly watched in film history classes.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I have plenty of games digitally on ALL my systems, but I do think there's a possibility that one of the three big gaming companies, including STEAM, which many of you have put THOUSANDS of dollars into likely may not be around as far as 50 years from now, let-alone 100.

I get 100 years from now gaming will be some seriously crazy shit, but it'd be fun to re-visit the classics (if you still have them).

I just can't see there not being at least 10,000-20,000 PS2's 100 years from now, I think it's a downright impossibility that there won't be TONS of people that still have working PSP's and PS2's.

I get we have no metric to measure that against, or do we? You can still buy a working analog computer to play "Tennis for Two", which is a game from 1958.

I'd measure to say stuff like the NES or PS1 could last just as long, I don't see why not.

Smasandian
In a 100 years, you would most likely be able to play an "classic" game on whatever device it is without paying a single cent. It would be no different than being able to listen to classic music.

I think its a pointless debate. All physical media has moved to a digital format. The only two holdouts are books and console games. In 15 years, I wouldn't be surprised if all games move to a subscription service similar to Netflix, Apple Music, Audible and etc. It's already starting now with Game Pass and whatever Sony will do in the next few years.

In 30 years, these physical games we all have will be available in a subscription. You already seeing this with NES and SNES Online (only Nintendo is being strict on releases)....but the generation behind us are being brought up watching, listening and reading content through a subscription...I cannot see physical releases being a viable option anymore.

Why worry about keeping physical copies...in 30 years, you most likely be able to play those games for free through a browser (if those exist also!). There has been initiatives by groups of people to start collecting and putting classic games online...I recently played some old computer games I use to play when I was a kid...all through browser without paying money.

Kazenji

Why worry about keeping physical copies...in 30 years, you most likely be able to play those games for free through a browser (if those exist also!). There has been initiatives by groups of people to start collecting and putting classic games online...I recently played some old computer games I use to play when I was a kid...all through browser without paying money.

Maybe because the game dev's/Publisher can edit the game with patches, Like what happen with the GTA games removing songs that have lost the license

one reason physical is better over digital.

Smasandian
Are you sure there isn't a patch that gets applied after installing the physical version?

Khazra Reborn
Are you sure there isn't a patch that gets applied after installing the physical version?

You can still just delete it, and reinstall the vanilla version.

StyleTime
Originally posted by Kazenji
Maybe because the game dev's/Publisher can edit the game with patches, Like what happen with the GTA games removing songs that have lost the license

one reason physical is better over digital.
You can remove patches in lots of games, especially on PC. Some games are nice enough to let you toggle between patches. That said, yeah, physical copies would generally make things easier.

Regardless, that one thing doesn't really outweigh all the advantages of digital. If a medium requires rare, corner cases to support their viability, then they are already on their way to being obsolete, at least in general use.

We could think of weird scenarios where physical books are preferable to e-books, but e-books are still overall superior.

Jmanghan
I just have one question, how many years do you think it'll be before you have rebuy those digital copies?

How many years after THAT do you think it'll be to buy ANOTHER digital copy.

What if someone hacks your account and changes your password? What if (again) one of the companies you bought from goes bankrupt? What if STEAM goes bankrupt? You will not get those games back.

If these big-budget games end up on browsers it won't be for 50+ years, considering we barely get access to DOS games on browsers, while they can barely handle 3D games.

Solely because of graphical fidelity is the reason it'd be harder, and yes in 100 years they'd surely be on browsers but still.

You want my opinion? I think Stadia is gonna fail outright, everybody will never want a solely digital gaming platform.

I lecture my friend all the time because he trades in his games after he's done with them and it boggles my mind considering he'll just have to rebuy it again if he wants to play it (and he does some years down the line, always).

There's too much risk, not enough reward. I'd rather buy something physical for $50 one time then spend $20 over and over every 20-25 years. Chances are possible that something WILL happen to Sony, Xbox, Nintendo, or Steam, and if something does, ya'll are screwed, you lost out on tons of games that you have to rebuy, and in a lot of cases physicals are cheaper.

I got Kingdom of Paradise on my PSP for $8.48, it's more then double on the store.

Yes I understand in many cases that's not how it works, in many cases it can be FAR more expensive then when it even released.

On top of that, you can't really play a lot of games on it's original system (like Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core) without buying a physical company or using an emulator.

As I get older I prefer the simple convenience of being able to game wherever I go, I played the hell out of my PS3 when I was younger but not console gaming has slown down tremendously for me, I still haven't completed KH3 because I don't feel like sitting in front of a TV looking up for 3-4 hours.

ares834
Here's the thing. I don't really care. I rarely am going to play a game that I've already beat 10-15 years ago. But, on the rare case that I do, I'm not going to play it on the original console anyway. Even if I already own it, I'm going to use an emulator instead.

Smasandian
Yes, basically. I agree. I don't care either.
I am not going to keep hold of all the consoles I have, just on the chance I might want to play it 15 years from now..when I most likely pick it up for $3.

And...in 15-20 years...can you even use those consoles on a TV? Will they have the correct inputs? What about PC games? Can you even install them anymore? Physical also has limitations as well.

I think Stadia will fail as well. I don't think the business model works and they have no customers to fall on....but considering MS is offering their streaming platform if you have Xbox Game Pass...it could take off (if it works)..

StyleTime
I just have one question, how many years do you think it'll be before you have rebuy those digital copies?

How many years after THAT do you think it'll be to buy ANOTHER digital copy.

What if someone hacks your account and changes your password? What if (again) one of the companies you bought from goes bankrupt? What if STEAM goes bankrupt? You will not get those games back.

If these big-budget games end up on browsers it won't be for 50+ years, considering we barely get access to DOS games on browsers, while they can barely handle 3D games.

Solely because of graphical fidelity is the reason it'd be harder, and yes in 100 years they'd surely be on browsers but still.

I lecture my friend all the time because he trades in his games after he's done with them and it boggles my mind considering he'll just have to rebuy it again if he wants to play it (and he does some years down the line, always).

There's too much risk, not enough reward. I'd rather buy something physical for $50 one time then spend $20 over and over every 20-25 years. Chances are possible that something WILL happen to Sony, Xbox, Nintendo, or Steam, and if something does, ya'll are screwed, you lost out on tons of games that you have to rebuy, and in a lot of cases physicals are cheaper.

Like I said, it's creating outlandish scenarios to make physical media seem relevant. Most people play through their games once or twice and never touch them again. You won't need to repurchase anything. Additionally, streaming services exist, and will likely be the future of gaming. I have PS Now, which is basically Sony's video game Netflix. I no longer physically own Resident Evil 4 or Shadow of the Colossus, but they are available along with 100s of other games through that. And I can try games I was interested in but didn't want to purchase. Some outliers, like Einhander, exist. I just emulate those though. I'd happily pay for it but they refuse to put it back on the store for whatever reason.

You can already emulate PS1 games in a browser for free.

Those services all have more than just username/password security. Mobile verification is there too, if you want it. Steam alerts you whenever someone logs in from a different computer. And you can always call for identity verification if something goes wrong. It's not impossible to be hacked, but it's way less likely than your PS2 dying....which 100% will happen eventually. Your discs could also be damaged. As for them going under, again, there's plenty of games you can just copy over to your computer. Most you won't be re-buying anyway, and they will likely be picked up by whatever streaming service is big at the time Steam hypothetically dies.

All these arguments against digital rely on unlikely doomsday scenario where the entire games industry crashes in 100 years. It's like me saying you'll break all your physical games by accident ans have to repurchase them.

You want my opinion? I think Stadia is gonna fail outright, everybody will never want a solely digital gaming platform.

Phones killed hand-held consoles, so I have to disagree there. Playstation and Xbox also have digital only versions. That will be the standard eventually. Stadia has other problems though.

On top of that, you can't really play a lot of games on it's original system (like Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core) without buying a physical company or using an emulator.

As I get older I prefer the simple convenience of being able to game wherever I go, I played the hell out of my PS3 when I was younger but not console gaming has slown down tremendously for me, I still haven't completed KH3 because I don't feel like sitting in front of a TV looking up for 3-4 hours.
I don't think most care about playing on its original system.

Digital games are, by default, more portable than physical games.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.