What if Mace had executed Sidious?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Eli Vanto
Lets say that Anakin didn't arrive in time, and Mace actually executed Sidious.

What would have happened to Mace afterward?

Total Warrior
Imo it could end in two ways:

1) Anakin gets there and sees Palpatine is dead. He gets super pissed off and gives into his anger, attacking Mace. I think a pissed off Anakin would defeat a tired Mace and kill him. After that who knows.. Anakin would likely leave the Order and decide to study the dark side on his own, trying to save Padme

2) Anakin gets there and sees Palpatine is dead. He gets pissed off initially but he calms down, thinking about his Jedi teachings. Mace thanks him by telling him he will be given the rank of Jedi Master. They go back to the temple victorious and Mace throws a wild party with Vos as the dj and Aayla Secura pole dancing

Zenwolf
I mean if Anakin didn't arrive and thus Sidious wasn't put into such a vulnerable position, then Anakin might be more reasonable about it since he did tell Mace that the guy was a Sith Lord and generally what he was taught, Sith are bad.

For all Anakin would know, a fight broke out and Mace had no choice in the matter. He would probably be pissed, but then he should have known something like that would happen. Since by this point Mace had gained Anakin's trust and thus their sworn enemy dead, Anakin would probably have been promoted to Jedi Master shortly after and thus being able to access knowledge forbidden to him.

The cause of Padme's death wouldn't happen, thus she would live. Everything else basically goes the same way without the Jedi dying, the CIS defeated and Anakin probably gets expelled from the JO or the Council gives him an exception for helping them find and defeat the Sith Lord that they had been looking for.

Galan007
Mace would be arrested for treason, and unless the Jedi could prove that Palpatine was secretly funding/leading the CIS, he'd probably be executed.

Eli Vanto
Would they be able to prove it? I mean, did any tangible evidence really exist apart from Anakin's word?

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Eli Vanto
Would they be able to prove it? I mean, did any tangible evidence really exist apart from Anakin's word?

I'm sure there would be evidence found if Palps isn't there to keep anything covered. Plus there are then gonna be questions raised of how 3 Jedi Council members were found dead within the Chancellor's office. Would anyone believe that Mace just up and turned on them for no reason while the supposed Chancellor watched without running or signaling for help?

Plus I'm positive there could be cameras hidden.

Eli Vanto
Well I mean, Mace and the b team went to arrest Sidious based solely on Anakin's word, which no court of law would consider admissible in and of itself.. So if Mace executed him, his only defense would be- "Skywalker told me he was a Sith, and he used the dark side when we fought... I swear!" Which again wouldn't hold up in a court system.

So far as the general public was aware, Chancellor Palpatine was just an innocent old man who was trying to keep them safe in times of war. So the Jedi would need some actual proof that he had been playing both sides of the field.

qwertyuiop1998
Had Sidious learned the ability to transfer his essence to others at that point?
I knew he had used this ability to survive the falling in ROTJ, But I'm not sure he learned this ability and prepared clones for transferring his essence in ROTS.

relentless1
Mace would be executed.

The novelization of ROTS goes into great detail about this, the Chancellor had set up audio recording in order to frame the Jedi and specifically Mace as attempting a coup.

If the Jedi went before the Senate and told them that they executed Palpatine soley on the ground of his religious beliefs with no hard evidence of any wrongdoing lol you'd bet your ass he'd be sentenced to death for that

Total Warrior
Well, I guess Mace would gladly sacrifice himself after killing Sidious. Only thing, if Sidious already knew Body Trasnfer then it would all be for nothing

Galan007
The RoS novelization implies that Palpatine didn't make the necessary preparations to transfer his essence until after Vader was his apprentice(namely when he began sensing the "flickering light" within Vader, and knew that his betrayal was probable.)

So no, I wouldn't imagine that he could have successfully transferred his essence as of RotS.

Galan007
Would they be able to prove it? I mean, did any tangible evidence really exist apart from Anakin's word? If they could capture the CIS leaders alive and get them to talk, maybe.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Galan007
Mace would be arrested for treason, and unless the Jedi could prove that Palpatine was secretly funding/leading the CIS, he'd probably be executed.

You really believe that?

Galan007
For sure.

You can't just assassinate the leader of the entire Republic without having to answer for it.

Total Warrior
What's stopping Mace from running away though?

Zenwolf
Or just getting evidence? It's not like as soon as the Chancellor is dead, the Jedi wouldn't have time to gather evidence that yes...he was pulling the strings and being an evil Sith guy. Palps wouldn't be around to hide any of this anyway.

At worst? Mace gets put on trial for a short time, as soon as Grevious gets killed by Kenobi, I'm sure in the aftermath of everything, evidence would be found and all that, because the CIS would have no reason to continue as they lost all their most important leaders.

Galan007
Originally posted by Total Warrior
What's stopping Mace from running away though? He could, but that would make him look guilty af.

Originally posted by Zenwolf
Or just getting evidence? It's not like as soon as the Chancellor is dead, the Jedi wouldn't have time to gather evidence that yes...he was pulling the strings and being an evil Sith guy. Sure, but they'd still have to try and gather condemning evidence ASAP.

Like we saw during Ahsoka's trial: a Jedi's word alone isn't good enough.

Lord Stark
Mace would have been arrested. Filoni confirmed it in an interview for Darkness of Umbara and compared it to when Dogma killed Krell. They'd need to arrest Mas Amedda quickly before he could enact Order 66 himself, since technically he'd become Chancellor. The Jedi Council as Mace said, would need to take control of the Senate to secure a peaceful transition. But I also think you'd probs be able to prove Palpatine's treason. He clearly leaked the Nexus Route to the Separatists so Grievous could invade Coruscant, the death of Mina Bonteri, +Once you seized GG's HQ or the Sep leaders you'd probs find plenty of evidence. Also Nute Gunray is a 100% coward and would be like 'Yeah Darth Sidious sponsored us.' Then Anakin the Hero of the Republic saying "The Chancellor is the Sith Lord" and you have a slam dunk case and Mace gets acquitted.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Galan007
For sure.

You can't just assassinate the leader of the entire Republic without having to answer for it.

Not even if you record him using a red lightsaber and Sith Lightning? stick out tongue

We already have miniature tech capable of doing that, imagine what they have in SW universe.

Galan007
They'd need more evidence than that, imo. Remember, Mace brought the fight to Palpatine. From the outside looking in, that could easily be interpreted as the Jedi forcefully attempting a coup, and Palpatine simply defending himself from their treachery... Because as far as the general public was aware, Palpatine was the guy who was just trying to lead the Republic through a time of war to the best of his ability.

For Mace to be acquitted, the Jedi would need to prove that Palpatine had ulterior motives and was secretly leading the CIS as well. Mace executing the Supreme Chancellor based solely on his religious beliefs probably wouldn't be enough to justify his actions in a trial, imo.

Tzeentch
The courts would have looked at the security footage of Palpatine breakdance fighting the Jedi, killing three of them, and ruled that Mace was in the right.

edit- And we know that footage exists because we literally see Obi-Wan and Yoda access it in RotS- that's how they know that Anakin pledged himself to Palpatine.

The_Tempest
Originally posted by Tzeentch
The courts would have looked at the security footage of Palpatine breakdance fighting the Jedi, killing three of them, and ruled that Mace was in the right.

edit- And we know that footage exists because we literally see Obi-Wan and Yoda access it in RotS- that's how they know that Anakin pledged himself to Palpatine.

Nah, it's different footage from a different scene where Sheev meets Vader at the Jedi temple after he slaughters all the Jedi there.

Eli Vanto
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Not even if you record him using a red lightsaber and Sith Lightning? stick out tongue

We already have miniature tech capable of doing that, imagine what they have in SW universe. Was being a Sith even a crime in and of itself?

I mean, would the citizens really even care about that? Because Sith or not, it still seems like it would be perceived as a Jedi massively overstepping his authority. It would be like a member of the secret service assassinating the president just because one of their coworkers said that he was a bad guy.

relentless1
Was being a Sith even a crime in and of itself?

I mean, would the citizens really even care about that? Because Sith or not, it still seems like it would be perceived as a Jedi massively overstepping his authority. It would be like a member of the secret service assassinating the president just because one of their coworkers said that he was a bad guy.

several books have alluded to the fact that the general public that do know don't see any difference between Sith and Jedi and most don't even know what a Sith is

Total Warrior
^indeed. The Jedi are just 10.000 guys in a galaxy inhabited by trillions of beings. Seeing a jedi in action is very rare, let alone a sith

StiltmanFTW
So everyone should be pretty suprised seeing an elderly politician fighting like some supernatural warrior, yes?

carthage
All i can safely say in this matter is that Bane dies as soon as the fight begins

gold slorg
Originally posted by carthage
All i can safely say in this matter is that Bane dies as soon as the fight begins

XD

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.