Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Arachnid1
Rocksteady just confirmed this. We'll get a bigger reveal August 22nd.

https://twitter.com/RocksteadyGames/status/1291720790447136768? ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm
%5E1291720790447136768%7Ctwgr%5E&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ign.com%2Farticles%2Fsuicide-squad-game-reveal-rocksteady

I am so tired of evil Superman stories. Nothing says 'creatively bankrupt' quite like Evil Superman stories. Hopefully, that's not the suicide mission their going on this time, and his just a one off nonlethal antagonist trying to take down some villains.

Smasandian
From a game perspective, it could be quite interesting.

Personally, I don't read the comics, or have watched not alot of the animation so I'm bumped out its going to be "evil" superman.

But I can see Rocksteady doing some really cool shit with an evil Superman.

ares834
Originally posted by Arachnid1
Rocksteady just confirmed this. We'll get a bigger reveal August 22nd.

https://twitter.com/RocksteadyGames/status/1291720790447136768? ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm
%5E1291720790447136768%7Ctwgr%5E&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ign.com%2Farticles%2Fsuicide-squad-game-reveal-rocksteady

I am so tired of evil Superman stories. Nothing says 'creatively bankrupt' quite like Evil Superman stories. Hopefully, that's not the suicide mission their going on this time, and his just a one off nonlethal antagonist trying to take down some villains.

Yep. It's dumb as shit. And Suicide Squad?

sick

Edit: Even worse I'm hearing this may be a GAAS. Hard pass.

-Pr-
I honestly dunno if the whole "Superman is the bad guy" thing is anything more than just marketing, and a call-back to that line in the movie. The Suicide Squad in the comics (and even the animated movies) fights villains far more than it does other heroes.

I've seen people saying (so it's all rumours at this point) that this won't be dissimilar to the New Avengers game in terms of being a semi-online, team-based action game. I wouldn't mind that, personally, but I'm still feeling really cautious, and will do until I see a trailer and some gameplay. Hopefully we get that at fandome.

Smasandian
I ****ing hope it's not a semi-online, team-based action game.
If so...I have no interest.

Rocksteady made their name making highly atmospheric, intense single player action games and if this something more akin to Destiny...**** that.

I was interesting in a Arkham style Suicide Squad game because it would allow Rocksteady to have new ideas depending on the character you have.

-Pr-
That's the problem inherent in a game like this, I think: You have 5-6 characters all fleshed out, but in doing so you have to somehow balance them all in a single-player game.

At least in Arkham, all the characters played "sort-of" like Batman. They could all hide on gargoyles and could move between stealth and action easily. The Suicide Squad is so diverse that I don't see how they can make a super-tight single-player game.

I mean, I wanna see them do it, but I have no idea how they will.

BackFire

Smasandian
Originally posted by -Pr-
That's the problem inherent in a game like this, I think: You have 5-6 characters all fleshed out, but in doing so you have to somehow balance them all in a single-player game.

At least in Arkham, all the characters played "sort-of" like Batman. They could all hide on gargoyles and could move between stealth and action easily. The Suicide Squad is so diverse that I don't see how they can make a super-tight single-player game.

I mean, I wanna see them do it, but I have no idea how they will.

It's been almost 5 years since Arkham Knight....maybe they figured something out.
I wouldn't be surprised if this comes out this year. There was rumours (or confirmed) that Rocksteady's next game was going to be annouced at this years E3.

Ridley_Prime
Meh. Will just wait on that other Batman Arkham that is supposedly being worked on by WB Montreal if this doesnt interest me enough, which doesnt seem like it will. Of all the things RockSteady could have been doing next, this feels underwhelming.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Smasandian
It's been almost 5 years since Arkham Knight....maybe they figured something out.
I wouldn't be surprised if this comes out this year. There was rumours (or confirmed) that Rocksteady's next game was going to be annouced at this years E3.

Hey, I'm open to it. As big as superheroes are in cinema, that hasn't been reflected in games these last few years. Here's hoping that Avengers, this and the supposed WB Montreal Batman game scratch that itch.

Nemesis X
I'm worried about the implications of another evil Superman but least Harley will be there to protect us with her bat...

Arachnid1
Yeah, I'm with you guys. If this ends up GAAS, it's a hard pass. I also can't see them balancing the game for every character without it playing like a shitty beat-em-up/damage numbers type of game.

Also, my bad about all the typos in the OP. I had just woken up and wasn't all there due to a rough week. "Their" and "his just a one off" make me sound kind of retarded.

Smasandian
Hey, I'm open to it. As big as superheroes are in cinema, that hasn't been reflected in games these last few years. Here's hoping that Avengers, this and the supposed WB Montreal Batman game scratch that itch.

Yeah, there is not that many superhero games...and probably because it's hard to do. I know with Star Wars, the main issue is not making the game but dealing with LucasArts/Disney and getting them to OK every single design choice and story element.

I believe this is the same thing with Marvel.....and probably DC (but WB is publishing it so it's probably less hard).

I remember hearing the issues Capcom has dealing with Marvel for their superhero fighters.

Overall, I think Rocksteady has enough respect stored up to warrant waiting for information before we all assume its going to be crap.

Nemesis X
I hope Rocksteady follows through with what Suicide Squad is meant to be and not take from the movie as some anti-superman task force in training. I really don't want it to be that. Please don't take notes from Avengers. Just make it Ghost Recon with DC villains or whatever.

-Pr-
I enjoyed the trailer, but no gameplay.

At least the story isn't some Injustice copy where the heroes are dicks because stupid reasons.

Ridley_Prime
But you still got an evil Superman. erm

-Pr-
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
But you still got an evil Superman. erm

Eh, it being because of Brainiac, and not a team specifically put together to kill Superman, makes it different enough for me.

Plus, there's always the chance during the game that you'll free Superman (and any other League members) during the game and they'd fight alongside you.

And I say this as someone that really doesn't like the excess of "evil Superman" stories.

Smasandian
The trailer looked good. It's something different from Rocksteady, which could be a good thing.

I enjoy the evil Superman thing...I think it could make for some cool gameplay moments and I'm not heavily invovled with the comics, cartoons and etc that I burnt out.

It seems to about going after the Justice League, which if true, could potentially add a ton of cool moments and interesting boss fights.

I hope the game isn't superhero version of Left 4 Dead or something like that...that would be a waste.

BackFire

-Pr-
I like the idea of swapping mid-combat, and hopefully it's a mechanic that's been expanded since Arkham Knight.

I like the four characters they chose, and I don't even mind that they kind of muddled the Boomerangs. It also suggests they won't be going GAAS with it if they're only giving us those four.

An open world Metropolis sounds pretty sweet, and if executed right, it could be fun.

It being canon to Arkham is on shaky ground though.

I was legitimately hoping when Will Arnett asked him why they were making a Suicide Squad game, he just said "they wouldn't let us make Superman".

Smasandian
Kind of crazy its coming out in 2022. That would make it around 7 years since the last Rocksteady game...I wonder if those rumors of that Superman game were true and it just never came to fruition.

-Pr-
The release date makes it more likely imo. They spend 2-3 years working on another game, it gets canned, and now they have to work on this one.

I expect Gotham Knights much sooner. What did it say, 2021?

Smasandian
I think so.....maybe delayed a bit due to COVID.

It was probably 2 years making a prototype (I still think Superman in a game is very difficult to do), it gets canned because it didn't work (as you said), Suicide Squad does well, concept it out and then start. Yeah, you are probably right.

I wouldn't be surprised the storyline (Dark Superman + Justice League) is a direct result of the work they would of done with the Superman game. I can see some of the concept/gameplay systems being added to this game to allow Superman to run around amok. Basically, I don't think it would be a completely new game but a combination of new concepts plus a Superman prototype.

Surtur
Why do they even need Superman to be evil?

The government *should* be terrified of even a non-evil Superman. He is a sentient WMD. It's quite believable if the government just decided having him around just wasn't worth the risk. After all, he is susceptible to mind control, etc.

I mean from what I've read the plot seems to be...the heroes being controlled. Just the fear that something like this could happen would be enough.

It'd also be vastly more interesting too.

Arachnid1
Evil Superman sucks. Also, not a fan of them aping the jokey feeling and character design for the mains from the movie. My interest after that trailer flatlined.

BackFire
Ok watched the trailer. Was a good CGI trailer. Will keep an eye on this I guess.

Surtur
One of my biggest pet peeves are trailers for videogames that show no gameplay.

BackFire
Originally posted by Surtur
One of my biggest pet peeves are trailers for videogames that show no gameplay.

I know. Me too. This one was pretty fun though. Premise of the game does also seem cool. Like The Boys.

Smasandian
Considering the game is not close to being released (probably fall 2022), I don't have a problem. It's a teaser to show what the game is going to be about.

Gameplay will follow. Any gameplay shown at this moment is going to be faked anyways.

Ridley_Prime
https://twitter.com/nellucnhoj/status/1297448132628930560

All it tells me is that WB is either tone deaf, or the big wigs hate Superman.

"We don't hate Superman! Look, Justice League Snyder cut!"
Yeah, and?

"L-look! We have Man of Tomorrow, a Superman animated movie!"
Yeah, and it's yet another origin story instead of something new, original, or adapted from a story that isn't Death of Superman.

I'm sure I can't be the only one who thinks now would've been a perfect time to push Superman, especially in this current era with the world having gone to shit thanks to a pandemic, and we'd have a character to genuinely look to for hope and a brighter future.
superman

But no, just more Bat pandering. Even worse, they decided to double down on the grimdark with an extra middle finger by making a Suicide Squad game where the premise is you having to kill Superman, and you're in Metropolis. I don't care that he's controlled by Brainiac, it's still yet another dark Superman take. lol

A Superman game isn't some programming nightmare to do, it's just that WB won't let there be any Superman games period. Unless I get proof otherwise, I'm sure RockSteady did want to do one, but WB shut the door in their faces about it, then came back to troll everyone by making them do a Batman villain game centered in Metropolis. Whose the asshead that's been running WB for this long? They deserve a Johnny Cage nut punch or something.

And it's funny how the Superman detractors, including some of those at WB, just always say he's overpowered and be like "How would a game for him even work?", when they don't seem to have a problem with portraying Batman as unflinchingly overpowered, so I'm not sure where the overpowered complaint really comes from.

"But Batman has no powers! He's human!"
He's human in name only, and seems to have no issue beating a lot of people who do have superpowers, not to mention all of the Batwank stories out there where he's beating gods left and right, and many of the things he pulls off are outright impossible for a human.

And that Angry Joe reaction to the Superman part... I felt for him there.

-Pr-
The sad part is, there are rumours swirling around that if The Snyder Cut does well, they might let him make Man of Steel 2 and another Justice League.

Impediment
https://www.polygon.com/game-awards-tga/22529992/suicide-squad-kill-the-justice-league-game-awards-trailer-kevin-conroy

Ridley_Prime
I still choose to see the Arkham series as the Conroy Batman sendoff rather than this spinoff extension of it.

Kazenji
This game is flop as hard as the Avengers game with all the live service features that's starting to show for it

also sad how this is the final thing Kevin Conroy did too.

Nemesis X
It also requires online to even play the single player. First Bethesda's Redfall announces that, now this. Not that I was planning to play either one but it's just laughable. These aren't MMOs. Even Left 4 Dead lets you play offline.

Kazenji
Far too many live service games are being made an oversaturation of them

at least 5+ of those sort of games have been killed off this year.

Impediment
This game is being eviscerated in the reviews.

NemeBro
My favorite part is when Captain Boomerang pisses on Flash's corpse and then Deadshot can't help but admire Boomerang's big cock.

Khazra Reborn

-Pr-
Originally posted by Impediment
This game is being eviscerated in the reviews.

As it should.

This:

Originally posted by NemeBro
My favorite part is when Captain Boomerang pisses on Flash's corpse and then Deadshot can't help but admire Boomerang's big cock.

Literally happens in the game.

First Gotham Knights, now this. Christ.

Kazenji
Sounds like something Zack Synder would do.

Ridley_Prime
Apparently the RockSteady co-founders formed a new studio after leaving the Suicide Squad game... Best of luck to them. There was a time I would've liked to see RockSteady try other IPs even outside of DC, but didn't yet realize how tight they were under WB's leash.

What's left of RockSteady (not counting the people who worked on the Arkham trilogy that were long gone by the time Suicide Squad was happening) will be lucky to even have a life or reputation to speak of after this.

First Gotham Knights, now this. Christ.
Gotham Knights was respectful to Batman in comparison, although never really got the premise of him having to die just so his proteges could shine or develop. Regardless, the caped crusader got a double whammy of being assassinated after his game series. "We gave you your just due with some solid games for once, now **** off". lol

Is mainly being the last Kevin Conroy performance (presumably) that makes it depressing. That aside, it would've been more honest if the whole premise of this game was "Ah, this is just an elseworld story, enjoy!", than taking a steamy shit on the Arkham franchise's legacy, especially since it's a shooter and not a freeflow combat beat 'em up. Some WB exec really just said "Tie this game to the Arkham series, that'll get people interested in it".

Not that it retroactively ruins my experience with Arkham or anything, but facepalm.

Nemesis X
The team, Sweet Baby, consulted over this game and made Lex Luthor fanboy over Wonder Woman's Amazonian society destroying the "toxic masculinity" while at the same time they approved Harley Quinn groping some Deadshot cheeks without his consent. Double standards much?

Edit: Well that was nice of those reddit mods to hide the screenshot away of the Luthor bit but yeah.

Ridley_Prime
Whoever wrote all the Justice League character profiles can bugger off. This Green Lantern is from the perspective of Deadshot, but that makes it even worse.

Kazenji
I watched someone play this game to the end, What they have planned for the further seasons isn't that great

basically its going to be killing 12 more brainiacs across the multiverse.

Nemesis X
kHi5qtM19Dw

Ridley_Prime
eo72Er3rj8g

The idea Joe mentioned of having unique DC firearms (Mr Freeze's gun, Polka-Dot Man's gun, etc) could've been something, but of course we didn't get any weapons that creative.

Only now did I see the Justice League boss fights. Flash's and Green Lantern's were okay, but how Nightmare Batman's worked, he just stands there in place as you shoot him to death... Wow, and figures that the Superman boss fight would be more rushed, using mostly assets from the Flash fight, and for his ending he just lays there after he falls. No last words, nothing. Sounds about right in how much the powers to be respect him.

Brainiac turns into the Flash for repeating the Flash fight in full, and the other bodies of Brainiac are locked behind a battle pass to fight later in your little looter shooter.

Seeing all this, I realize that Anarky in Arkham Origins did nothing wrong. He was just subliminal messaging that that era of Batman or DC gaming was the best you were gonna get.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.