Is being a Sith illegal in the Republic?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Total Warrior
I was just wondering.. is there some law against having a Sith as a chancellor? Like, if Palpatine destroyed the Jedi like he did in EP3, and then officially told everyone "Hi, I can use the Force too but I'm a Sith" and started openly to promote the Sith teachings, building statues of ancient Sith etc would that be against the law? Or would the senate have been chill about it, considering it like some sort of Palpatine's own religious creed?

qwertyuiop1998
I don't think there is any spefic law in the republic against sith. But I'm assuming the senate wouldn't chill about it since in general Jedi still are considered to be the guardians of peace.
So if Jedi against sith, then politicians would be taking the same position with Jedi. It would be difficult for palpatine to plan anything

Galan007
Being a Sith wasn't illegal in and of itself(the Sith are, essentially, just a religion.) Actively masterminding a galactic civil war to exterminate the Jedi and overtake the Republic would be a whole separate issue, though.

relentless1
Palpatine actually brings this up in the ROTS novel thats what he is is no crime

the very fact that Windu mentions that he controls the courts means he knows it isn't a crime in and of itself as well

Freedon Nadd
Sith Lord=Space Nazi

You do the Maths.

Underachiever59
In Legends, being a Sith wasn't considered illegal, to my knowledge.

In Canon, I think it may actually be different, however. C-3PO in The Rise of Skywalker mentions that it's effectively against the law to translate Sith text. So with that in mind, studying any Sith teachings that are written in that Sith text would also be illegal. All of this implies to me that the practice of Sith philosophy would be seen as dangerous and illegal to the Republic, which makes sense considering everything the Sith have done to the galaxy.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Underachiever59

In Canon, I think it may actually be different, however. C-3PO in The Rise of Skywalker mentions that it's effectively against the law to translate Sith text. So with that in mind, studying any Sith teachings that are written in that Sith text would also be illegal. All of this implies to me that the practice of Sith philosophy would be seen as dangerous and illegal to the Republic, which makes sense considering everything the Sith have done to the galaxy.

Stop oppressing my religious beliefs!

lDarth Nihilusl
Sith are good people.

Freedon Nadd
Originally posted by lDarth Nihilusl
Sith species are good people.

relentless1
3PO doesn't say its illegal, he says its against his programming to read Sith, not the same thing as illegal at all

Galan007
Also, the 'legality' of being a Sith may have changed after the Empire fell and the New Republic took over.

Freedon Nadd
Originally posted by relentless1
3PO doesn't say its illegal, he says its against his programming to read Sith, not the same thing as illegal at all

Yes, because Sith are evil fascist space monks.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.