Superman's strongest punch vs Captain America's shield

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

AlbertoJohnAvil
No sundip

Can Cap's shield absorb the impact of Superman's hardest punch

https://i.postimg.cc/k2ts3NkP/stev.jpg

StiltmanFTW
Superman explodes.

Diesldude
Nope, it gets shattered.

carver9
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Superman explodes.

-Pr-
Originally posted by AlbertoJohnAvil
No sundip

Can Cap's shield absorb the impact of Superman's hardest punch

https://i.postimg.cc/k2ts3NkP/stev.jpg

Whatever the plot requires.

wxyz
The shield absorbs the punch.

lawest9
Originally posted by -Pr-

h1a8
Those chains are astronomically stronger than Cap's shield.

Stoic
Those chains have a very short history h1.

krisblaze
The shield gets bent, but Cap lives.

CosmicComet
Supes broke Soulfire Darkseid in half and hurt Emperor Joker. He would shred the shield with his best. Its record isn't that great anyway.

Insane Titan

Sasaraixx
Originally posted by -Pr-

Magnificent M
How many time has it been broken?
There's Molecule Man , Beyonder, Thanos with the IG, Thor during the Reigning which depending on how you look at it might not be canon, The Serpent.
There's probably more, but those are off the top of my head.
Has the shield ever been broken by pure physical force?
Other than Thanos when he had the Infinity Gauntlet?

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Magnificent M
Thor during the Reigning which depending on how you look at it might not be canon

It's not canon, it even has its own designation number.

Earth-3515.

Other than Thanos when he had the Infinity Gauntlet?

Thanos limited himself so he wouldn't know his opponents' next moves, but he still used many abilities of the gauntlet.

TheHulkster
Originally posted by CosmicComet
Supes broke Soulfire Darkseid in half and hurt Emperor Joker. He would shred the shield with his best. Its record isn't that great anyway.

Neither of those characters are shown to have any significant level of hard durability at the time, but are rather able to instantly reform.

Galan007
How many time has it been broken?
There's Molecule Man , Beyonder, Thanos with the IG, Thor during the Reigning which depending on how you look at it might not be canon, The Serpent.
There's probably more, but those are off the top of my head.
Has the shield ever been broken by pure physical force?
Other than Thanos when he had the Infinity Gauntlet? Thor dented it:
https://i.ibb.co/s2Zmddm/17.jpg https://i.ibb.co/0YLbtkn/18.jpg

But that's still a far cry from shattering it outright.

StiltmanFTW
Thor had the Odinforce in Standoff, correct?

CosmicComet
Originally posted by TheHulkster
Neither of those characters are shown to have any significant level of hard durability at the time, but are rather able to instantly reform.

"Hard durability" lol

There is no such thing.

They cant be harmed unless with sufficient enough power. The same Darkseid was taking attacks from the Source.

I doubt Cap's shield could even take the force of an supernova.

TheHulkster
Originally posted by h1a8

Surfer is harder than those chains

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/7/71420/1340439-red_shift_vs_silver_surfer.jpg

Galan007
Thor had the Odinforce in Standoff, correct? Yeah.

StiltmanFTW
thumb up

That pussy can't do anything without a massive amp.

Damborgson
I'd need to know of other "unbreakable" substances Supes has punched through i guess.

Is there a vibranium equivalent in DC?

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Damborgson
I'd need to know of other "unbreakable" substances Supes has punched through i guess.

Is there a vibranium equivalent in DC?

Inertron? Promethium? Amazonium?

Even Metallo's "metallo" metal is said to be exceptional, but they all job like crazy.

TheHulkster
Originally posted by CosmicComet
"Hard durability" lol

There is no such thing.

They cant be harmed unless with sufficient enough power. The same Darkseid was taking attacks from the Source.

I doubt Cap's shield could ev ween take the force of an supernova.

Being harmed and being breached are two different things. Unworthy Thor shatters a Beyonder that instantly reforms, yet he isn't able to shatter the shield.

And in the Darkseid example, an in-book reason is given why Superman is able to breach him.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Imo, Superman dents it slightly. Captain America is shocked, but fine.

I really think there's no equivalent to Captain America's shield or Mjolnir in the DC Universe. Not purely power wise, but status/respect wise. At least none that come to mind. That really stood out to me during the JLA/Avengers crossover when Superman used the shield. The closest is Diana's bracers maybe, and even those don't have the same "recognition".

It's one of those things that has no parallels, the Universe operates differently imo. This is basically the Marvel Universe vs. the DC Universe.

It's hard to put into words.

This is stupid. Surfer for example is more durable than any of those chains, and Thor at his best was able to dent his form with a headbutt (Crazy impressive imo), but even he would have a hard time denting Captain America's shield.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
This is stupid. Surfer for example is more durable than any of those chains, and Thor at his best was able to dent his form with a headbutt (Crazy impressive imo), but even he would have a hard time denting Captain America's shield.

At his best?

Wasn't he weakened from some bizarre wound at the time?

Rage.Of.Olympus
At his best?

Wasn't he weakened from some bizarre wound at the time?

Yes, he was wounded in the World Tree and was bleeding out reality.

But I meant, at his best in the sense that Fraction wrote an OP Thor. He was easily on par with Surfer and hurt Galactus despite being damaged in a way that would be fatal for most characters.

He had Thor (After battling the Serpent) take on Worthy Thing and Hulk. Mind you, this was peak Serpent (I.e. >>> All Hell Lords from Cytorrak to Mephisto).

I really really wish he wrote a regular Thor vs. Hulk fist fight. It would have been hilarious watching Thor beat the shit out of Hulk in a classic brawl.

StiltmanFTW
In your dreams, maybe stick out tongue

Anyway, pure physical might ain't gonna cut it against the shield. DC metals are as soft as Velvet toilet paper.

h1a8
Imo, Superman dents it slightly. Captain America is shocked, but fine.

I really think there's no equivalent to Captain America's shield or Mjolnir in the DC Universe. Not purely power wise, but status/respect wise. At least none that come to mind. That really stood out to me during the JLA/Avengers crossover when Superman used the shield. The closest is Diana's bracers maybe, and even those don't have the same "recognition".

It's one of those things that has no parallels, the Universe operates differently imo. This is basically the Marvel Universe vs. the DC Universe.

It's hard to put into words.

We go by feats to determine durability right? Not what we want to be true?

By feats, Cap's shield doesn't have feats beyond the chains.

Your abc logic is faulty since Surfer has been hurt by significantly weaker forces. So his durability could have been anywhere between his lowest shown and highest shown when Thor headbutt him. Thats why in order to use ABC logic on a forum we assume characters are operating at average portrayals. Otherwise, we can say silly shit like Colossus tanked planet destroying force when he fought Gladiator (Gladiator bashed a planet to pieces before that).

And I'm curious. What feat does Surfer have that is above millions of star WEIGHTS of force?

TheHulkster

Your abc logic is faulty since Surfer has been hurt by significantly weaker forces. So his durability could have been anywhere between his lowest shown and highest shown when Thor headbutt him. Thats why in order to use ABC logic on a forum we assume characters are operating at average portrayals. Otherwise, we can say silly shit like Colossus tanked planet destroying force when he fought Gladiator (Gladiator bashed a planet to pieces before that).

And I'm curious. What feat does Surfer have that is above millions of star WEIGHTS of force?

Survives entropy unharmed.

TheHulkster
An angry Hulk has hit the shield without damaging it and with the Hulk"s power, Cho has hit with Big Bang force.

h1a8
Survives entropy unharmed.
Scans?
Entropy is not a physical force. We are all experiencing entropy now with no harm (we will eventually age and die though).

h1a8
An angry Hulk has hit the shield without damaging it and with the Hulk"s power, Cho has hit with Big Bang force.

Hulk's strength range in comics from hundreds of tons to astronomically more. All Hulks (except professor) are angry lol.

And I don't follow your logic. Are you saying that Hulk has hit something with a force called Big Bang force (whatever that is)?

Rage.Of.Olympus

Fraction wrote an OP Surfer, Thor was just tougher.

h1a8
Fraction wrote an OP Surfer, Thor was just tougher.

You didn't answer the question. What feat are you referring to that has Surfer with a durability feat above the chains?

TheHulkster
Scans?
Entropy is not a physical force. We are all experiencing entropy now with no harm (we will eventually age and die though).

Change that. Survives big bang.

TheHulkster
Hulk's strength range in comics from hundreds of tons to astronomically more. All Hulks (except professor) are angry lol.

And I don't follow your logic. Are you saying that Hulk has hit something with a force called Big Bang force (whatever that is)?

Specifically measured as such.

Stoic
Thanos with the IG, the Beyonder, and the Serpent are the only ones to have broken the shield to my recollection. The Serpent's attack was magical, while the other two were Godlike in power well before the negative power creep was put into effect. Superman isn't sun dipped in this instance. After the Serpent broke the shield, it was reinforced by Odin, which likely gave it a degree of magical resistance. Seems to me that that entire story was written in order to buff the shield.

cdtm
Originally posted by carver9

Originally posted by Diesldude
Nope, it gets shattered.

StiltmanFTW
Your skull gets shattered.

It takes more than brute force to damage Rogers' frisbee.

cdtm
Superman has the metafictional punch.

StiltmanFTW
The Mighty Shield of Franklin Delano Roosevelt was used to make you sterile when you were born.

Stoic
Originally posted by cdtm
Superman has the metafictional punch.

Superman without a sundip per OP, wasn't able to shatter Doomsday. He was going all out.

cdtm
Self imposed limits.

carver9
Huh

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by cdtm
Self imposed limits.

Shut up.

h1a8
Specifically measured as such.

Please type complete thoughts and assume I have no idea of what you are talking about. Now what are you talking about?

h1a8
Originally posted by Stoic
Superman without a sundip per OP, wasn't able to shatter Doomsday. He was going all out.

This isn't real life where beings only fluctuate slightly from showing to showing. This is comics where character's power levels fluctuate astronomically.

In one scene characters can be operating at a few hundred tons and in another at planetary levels.

So let's not pretend this isn't true. Superman at his highest portrayals (like the chain feat) can easily shatter the shield.

DarkSaint85
Please type complete thoughts and assume I have no idea of what you are talking about. Now what are you talking about?

He's mixing two showings together, iirc.

One showing has Cho punching the moon.

The other showing has Cho punching Surfer Two completely different times, and he knows this, hence the incomplete sentences. He knows you'd tear holes in his argument.

TheHulkster
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
He's mixing two showings together, iirc.

One showing has Cho punching the moon.

The other showing has Cho punching Surfer Two completely different times, and he knows this, hence the incomplete sentences. He knows you'd tear holes in his argument.

I'm not mixing anything together. Speak for yourself since you don't know what you're talking about.

DarkSaint85
Hence why I said iirc smile

When did Cho hit the shield with big Bang force?

TheHulkster
Hence why I said iirc smile

When did Cho hit the shield with big Bang force?

Hulk hits it an Cho has Hulk's power. I never mentioned anything about hitting Surfer. Where did you get that from?

DarkSaint85
Nice. So you're mixing two showings together.

One showing has Cho punching the moon

The other has him punching Cap's shield (not Surfer, got my two threads mixed).

Two completely different times, yes?

DarkSaint85
This isn't real life where beings only fluctuate slightly from showing to showing. This is comics where character's power levels fluctuate astronomically.

In one scene characters can be operating at a few hundred tons and in another at planetary levels.

So let's not pretend this isn't true. Superman at his highest portrayals (like the chain feat) can easily shatter the shield.

This is probably why Hulkster isn't typing in complete sentences with you. This is exactly what he's doing (mixing two showings).

TheHulkster

The specific measurement of Cho's strike somewhere around 123 + richter scale which is Big Bang level force.

Darksaint is confusing some scene with Cap punching Surfer's board or something.

DarkSaint85
The specific measurement of Cho's strike somewhere around 123 + richter scale which is Big Bang level force.

But he didn't punch the shield with this force. Thanks

TheHulkster
But he didn't punch the shield with this force. Thanks

Prove this positive assertion.

DarkSaint85
No, your implicit assertion is that Chi's punches are equal. When he punches in instance A, it's with the same force as in instance B.

So prove this.

Stoic

Not if the shield was actually stronger than chains that were around for a couple of panels. You're making too much of a big deal over the chains. Hyperbole exist in comics as well. Self imposed limitations while going all out makes zero sense. Not sure that you can see it though.

h1a8
Originally posted by Stoic
Not if the shield was actually stronger than chains that were around for a couple of panels. You're making too much of a big deal over the chains. Hyperbole exist in comics as well. Self imposed limitations while going all out makes zero sense. Not sure that you can see it though.

The shield doesn't exist. That's why we determine the durability of objects by their feats and other on panel evidence.
So fictionally the shield's durability is lower than the chains.

Philosophía
Cap's shield shatters.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.