You must abolish one of these 3 acclaimed BioWare series.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan
1. Knights of the Old Republic series (includes TOR MMO.)

2. Dragon Age series (first one was the only good one, apparently?)

3. Mass Effect series (the one I expect the least to get "abolished" from this thread.)

BackFire
Kotor. Played the first game. Enjoyed it but will probably never play it again and there will probably not be anymore games in that series anyways. While DA and ME will have future games.

NewGuy01
Dragon Age, ig.

Nemesis X
Sad to say the closest thing to a new Star Wars RPG we're gonna get is that Batuu theme park DLC for The Sims so KOTOR I would just put out of it's misery. DA4 I hope will be good and so many rumors are spreading so hard about that Mass Effect Trilogy Remaster that I wanna belieeeeve!

MooCowofJustice
I could drop them all, but I think that the most deserving is probably gonna be Mass Effect. From what I understand, Andromeda was a huge betrayal for BioWare fans.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by MooCowofJustice
I could drop them all, but I think that the most deserving is probably gonna be Mass Effect. From what I understand, Andromeda was a huge betrayal for BioWare fans. Er, ya'll realize that means it's getting rid of ALL the games?

By Abolish, I meant "erase from existence".

-Pr-
I'd erase KOTOR and Mass Effect if it meant getting better Dragon Age games.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by MooCowofJustice
I could drop them all, but I think that the most deserving is probably gonna be Mass Effect. From what I understand, Andromeda was a huge betrayal for BioWare fans.

One bad game should not condemn the whole series.

Smasandian
I liked the ideas behind Mass Effect Andromeda...it just wasn't done well.

I would bet EA will remastered the 360 ME games while going through concepts for a new Mass Effect series. If the remastered does well (and it probably will)...I would assume a new game gets made.

I'm just not sure what they would do....I would have to assume it's a sequel to ME3...but 1000's of years in the future.

Surtur
I could never get rid of KOTOR. That is Blasphemy.

I guess I'd choose mass effect.

ares834
Dragon Age. It's shlock. The first game is good but the two others were decent at best.

KotOR, ME1, and ME2 are all far superior to DA1. Wouldn't mind losing TOR though. Good riddance.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by ares834
Dragon Age. It's shlock. The first game is good but the two others were decent at best.

KotOR, ME1, and ME2 are all far superior to DA1. Wouldn't mind losing TOR though. Good riddance. You don't like KOTOR 2? At release people thought it was just okay but I think it's gotten better with age.

ares834
Where did you get that from? I liked KotOR 2 quite a bit.

Jmanghan
Where did you get that from? I liked KotOR 2 quite a bit. You didn't bring up KOTOR 2 specifically but ig you meant the whole series lol.

ares834
I didn't because it's not a Bioware game. I also don't think it's far better than DA1.

Trocity
Kotor for me. I love DAO and the ME trilogy too much. Haven't played KOTOR in like 8 years.

cdtm
Can I pick all of them?

cdtm

KotOR, ME1, and ME2 are all far superior to DA1. Wouldn't mind losing TOR though. Good riddance.

Always heard people say nothing but great things about Origins.

-Pr-
Originally posted by cdtm

That's because it's fantastic... relatively. Some people really don't like the combat.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Jmanghan
You don't like KOTOR 2? At release people thought it was just okay but I think it's gotten better with age.

There's also a fan patch that makes it better too.

MooCowofJustice

NemeBro

KotOR, ME1, and ME2 are all far superior to DA1. Wouldn't mind losing TOR though. Good riddance. Origins is better than every Kotor game.

I'd drop Kotor in a heartbeat. It's not even a competition.

ares834
Bad taste.

NemeBro
Bad taste. ^ This coming from a Pleb Wars fan. thumb down

ares834
Former Star Wars fan. I've finally freed myself from it.

eThneoLgrRnae

That was the only one in the series I've tried playing and I hated it. Really wanted to like it but just couldn't; played thru about a couple of hours before I just couldn't take the extreme boredom anymore.

So I finally decided to quit and go play Skyrim instead and that very quickly cheered me right up. smile

eThneoLgrRnae
Former Star Wars fan. I've finally freed myself from it.

So when are you going to change your avatar then?

The first six films are awesome. The other ones don't even exist to me. I don't care for any of the games at all.

NewGuy01
Originally posted by eThneoLgrRnae
So I finally decided to quit and go play Skyrim instead and that very quickly cheered me right up. smile
Play Oblivion already.

eThneoLgrRnae
I've been thinking about it a lot but the last time I checked everywhere I looked the game was just too expensive.

I probably will get around to it eventually. I'm hoping there will be a remastered version coming out on the PS5 at some point.

NewGuy01
I didn't think ten dollars was expensive for a game.

eThneoLgrRnae
Show me where an Oblivion game on the PS3 that has all of the dlc's included in it is only $10.

It's been a while since I did any searches for the game but I never found one anywhere near that cheap for the PS3.

It's possible it's come down greatly in price since last time I looked but it's hard to believe it dropped all the way down to $10.00.

Perhaps you saw a used one without all of the dlc content included in it on ebay that cheaply?

-Pr-
That was the only one in the series I've tried playing and I hated it. Really wanted to like it but just couldn't; played thru about a couple of hours before I just couldn't take the extreme boredom anymore.

Skyrim... Skyrim... okay...

NewGuy01
There's several offerings on ebay for the GOTY edition that are under $10. If you order it from Gamestop, it's $15 for a used copy.

As for new copies, I don't think you can even get one anymore. It's a fifteen year old game on a console that's now two generations behind.

Surtur
Originally posted by Kazenji
There's also a fan patch that makes it better too.

Don't just go for the patch, go for the mod that restores content that was never used. Adds some cutscenes, weapons, even that HK droid factory mission.

Surtur
I did enjoy Origins, fun fact: I have never beaten the game. I always saved the dwarves for the last people you go to seek help from. And always sometime while in the dwarf city I just lose interest.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Surtur
Don't just go for the patch, go for the mod that restores content that was never used. Adds some cutscenes, weapons, even that HK droid factory mission.

That's probably the one i was thinking of, Chris Avellone's personal life aside even he endorses that mod is the best way to play KOTOR 2.

eThneoLgrRnae
Originally posted by NewGuy01
There's several offerings on ebay for the GOTY edition that are under $10. If you order it from Gamestop, it's $15 for a used copy.

As for new copies, I don't think you can even get one anymore. It's a fifteen year old game on a console that's now two generations behind.

Actually, when I searched on the internet about a year ago I found plenty of places that had new copies to sell but they were all outrageously expensive. Amazon had several different versions at Iinflated prices.

I'll check out the places you mentioned for used copies.

eThneoLgrRnae
Originally posted by -Pr-
Skyrim... Skyrim... okay...

Yeah, so I like Skyrim a lot... sue me lol.

Surtur
Skyrim is fun.

But beware if you try to venture into playing Morrowind thinking "I did well in Skyrim".

You will be murdered by rats.

BackFire

Skyrim is much better than Oblivion.

-Pr-

I hope you modded it at least.

Surtur
Oblivion can be made to be quite good if you mod it. Specifically the level scaling system.

NewGuy01
Originally posted by BackFire
nein

cdtm

You're not getting the true Skyrim experience if you do.

Like randomly falling off one end of the map and through the orher over and over again, like something out of a bad Portal clone.

cdtm
Originally posted by NewGuy01
nein

But Skyrim just works:

GmUtltvUQX0

It's hilarious how they keep porting all the bugs and exploits in these "remasters".

Almost as if they never bothered to remaster them at all, and went "Eh, let the modders get it".

-Pr-

Like randomly falling off one end of the map and through the orher over and over again, like something out of a bad Portal clone.

You joke, but I have tried playing vanilla Skyrim. I didn't enjoy it that much at all. Modded, though? I enjoy the shit out of it.

I do consider DAO to be better though, at least personally. Yes, my version is heavily modded, but even without the mods the story and the characters are far more interesting imo.

Jmanghan
You joke, but I have tried playing vanilla Skyrim. I didn't enjoy it that much at all. Modded, though? I enjoy the shit out of it.

I do consider DAO to be better though, at least personally. Yes, my version is heavily modded, but even without the mods the story and the characters are far more interesting imo. How deep is the modding community for DAO?

I've enjoyed Skyrim even though I've played "superior" games like it, like Witcher 3, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, and Dragon's Dogma.

I think it's a fantastic game tbh, that said I enjoyed the above games more. Before anyone asks, I've played various versions of it on PS3, PC, but the first time I beat the story was on Switch (so basically, the Vanilla version.)

Maybe not Witcher 3, I did have fun with it but maybe the third-person perspective made Skyrim less repetitive, and my enjoyment Witcher 3 was ruined when I got the bad ending due to stuff I had no idea would affect the ending.

eThneoLgrRnae

I can't. I only have it on PS3.

eThneoLgrRnae
Originally posted by Surtur
Skyrim is fun.

But beware if you try to venture into playing Morrowind thinking "I did well in Skyrim".

You will be murdered by rats.

Seeing as how Morrowind isn't available on PS3 and I don't have a good gaming PC, I may not ever get a chance to play Morrowind.

Originally posted by BackFire

That seems to be the majority opinion I hear from the people who have played both games, yeah.

Still, I would like to play thru Oblivion just once at least for the experience so I have went ahead and purchased a used GotY edition that comes with a map on ebay for $10. I should get it in about a week but it might be a while before I get around to playing it as I'm trying to finish up some odds and ends in my current playthru of Skyrim while at the same time juggling two other very time-consuming games as well.

Don't know if I'll play thru Oblivion more than once since there are no trophies available for the game from what I've heard which sucks. If I really enjoy the game I might play thru it a second time anyway as a different character from whatever I choose in the first playrhru and of course on a harder difficulty setting.

What is the magic skills like in Oblivion? Magic, for the most part, sucks in Skyrim in my experiences with it. I played as a High Elf in my very first playthru of the game and while I enjoyed it greatly the magic wasn't nearly as powerful as I'd thought it'd be. At least, not destruction magic. The other schools were pretty decent I guess.

Playing as a Khajiit this time around (really like cats lol) and I've really enjoyed it so far even though I'm at such a high level that nearly all enemies have become pushovers. Lots of times I even one-shot dragons lol though they rarely show up anymore since I've already defeated Alduin.

eThneoLgrRnae

Funny, but I've never experienced many of the game-breaking bugs I've heard mostly PC gamers complain about.

My main problem with the game is the long ass loading screens and taking too damn long to do a manual save. Besides that, I love it.

cdtm

I do consider DAO to be better though, at least personally. Yes, my version is heavily modded, but even without the mods the story and the characters are far more interesting imo.

Oh yeah? What about the mods makes it a better experience?

I used to be all about modding, but swore it off ever since I got tired of the incompatibility issues or new bugs they tended to introduce, or otherwise unfinished aspects.

cdtm

360 here. thumb up

My philosophy is if a game needs to be heavily modded to become fun, you may as well just play a better game.

Tzeentch
There hasn't been a Dragon Age game that wasn't a massive pile of shit since 2009. How is there even a dilemma here?

ares834
To be fair, there hasn't been a good KotOR since 2004 (or 2003 according to some).

https://media3.giphy.com/media/GrUhLU9q3nyRG/giphy.gif

Tzeentch
Yes, but the only games in that franchise have all been good.

ToR is not part of the KOTOR franchise don't @ me.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Tzeentch
ToR is not part of the KOTOR franchise don't @ me.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/193/718/e58.jpg

Tzeentch
***** I said don't @ me. This is the opposite of not @ing me

Nemesis X
***** I said don't @ me. This is the opposite of not @ing me

What are rules really though?

Tzeentch
Continue to @ me and there's going to be a problem buddy.

Nemesis X
Continue to @ me and there's going to be a problem buddy.

No bigger problem then me making sure the only way you're watching YouTube videos again is through reaction channels.

Kazenji

My philosophy is if a game needs to be heavily modded to become fun, you may as well just play a better game.

You need to change your ways then.

NewGuy01
Seeing as how Morrowind isn't available on PS3 and I don't have a good gaming PC, I may not ever get a chance to play Morrowind.
It's very beloved by longtime fans of the series, but all of my attempts to get into it have failed early on. Its age is a surprisingly huge barrier to entry. Navigation, menus, combat, I found it all to be quite painful.

no

It's been a very, very long time since I've played, so I don't remember exactly how it's balanced. I think my magic worked pretty damn good? All I can say for sure is that magic is handled very differently than it is in Skyrim, so I recommend that you do at least dabble in it for the full experience.

I think that in general though, Oblivion encourages its players to pursue a mixed build instead of a specialized one, so don't worry about it too much.

Minor magic-related spoiler: Once you've advanced enough in the mages guild, you can create your own custom spells. So if you're running a mage build, and are in need of a more heavy-duty destruction spell, you can just make one.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Jmanghan
How deep is the modding community for DAO?

I've enjoyed Skyrim even though I've played "superior" games like it, like Witcher 3, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, and Dragon's Dogma.

I think it's a fantastic game tbh, that said I enjoyed the above games more. Before anyone asks, I've played various versions of it on PS3, PC, but the first time I beat the story was on Switch (so basically, the Vanilla version.)

Maybe not Witcher 3, I did have fun with it but maybe the third-person perspective made Skyrim less repetitive, and my enjoyment Witcher 3 was ruined when I got the bad ending due to stuff I had no idea would affect the ending.

It used to be pretty big, and then Bioware went and closed all their forums (they were a shitshow to be fair anyway).

Almost all of the mods are still on the Nexus though, and there are thousands of them.

My condolences. Still, if you enjoy it, that's the main thing.

Oh yeah? What about the mods makes it a better experience?

I used to be all about modding, but swore it off ever since I got tired of the incompatibility issues or new bugs they tended to introduce, or otherwise unfinished aspects.

Skyrim or DAO?

For Skyrim? There are mods that alter (and I would argue improve) skill trees. There are mods that make magic more balanced. There are mods that make crafting more involved than just crafting millions of iron daggers. iirc there are even enchanting mods.

Then there's the visual stuff. Armour sets, graphics mods... and yes, the nudie stuff counts if you're in to that kind of thing.

cdtm
Does Dragon Age really need the mods?

I bought the PC version of Ultimate. Anything I should get for a first play through?

Tzeentch
Skip the Fade mod.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.