God of War 2 (2021)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Arachnid1
They just put out a teaser at the PS5 showcase.

kD7SNOOKmfs

Tzeentch
This relatively new naming convention where instead of calling games five, six seven etc they instead revert back to just "Call of Duty" or "God of War" is definitely the result of market research and focus testing, but I wonder what the psychological reason is for why consumers prefer this over just giving the game a proper chronological label. I mean final fantasy is still going strong with 16 on the way.

BackFire

Smasandian
No way this game is coming out in 2021. Not if it's at the same quality as God of War.

ares834
Why not? Presumably they've been working on it since 2018. Furthermore, they already have a goof base to build the game on.

Smasandian
Three years to make an expensive AAA title, in the same year as global pandemic (that has pushed back most other games)...Horizons Zero Dawn 2 has actual gameplay footage and that game is supposed to be released in 2021.

This is just a short teaser with nothing but some words. Considering it took the same devs 5 years to make God Of War...three years seems implausible. Especially considering it's on a new console (that always presents challenges) using supposedly amazing technology.

Nemesis X

BackFire

ares834
Originally posted by Smasandian
Three years to make an expensive AAA title, in the same year as global pandemic (that has pushed back most other games)...Horizons Zero Dawn 2 has actual gameplay footage and that game is supposed to be released in 2021.

This is just a short teaser with nothing but some words. Considering it took the same devs 5 years to make God Of War...three years seems implausible. Especially considering it's on a new console (that always presents challenges) using supposedly amazing technology.

GoW was built almost entirely from scratch. This will build on what already exists, it should have a far shorter development time. Especially since they could have easily expanded their staff after the success of the "first" game. As for a new console, the other GoW was also the first (and only) one for PS4.

As for no game-play, presumably they are just holding that back as of now.

Surtur
God of War 2?

They had at least 3 ps2 games.

BackFire
Yeah the latest one was a soft reboot and this is a sequel to that.

Smasandian
Maybe I'm wrong but I still doubt it will be released next year.

BackFire

Smasandian
Probably. Even with the same engine as before, making a triple AAA title with new hardware is a tough task. Hardware that does 4K, super fast loading and I believe ray tracing....

Considering other major AAA developers take 4-5 years to make a title like that, I just don't see it. The new Horizons game would be coming out roughly the same time and that's got an extra year.

It's probably doable but how different will this game be? And I would be surprised if Sony releases God Of War and Horizonz in the same time frame.

Jmanghan
It's God of War 5, technically.

God of War directly continues the story after GoW 3.

BackFire
Probably. Even with the same engine as before, making a triple AAA title with new hardware is a tough task. Hardware that does 4K, super fast loading and I believe ray tracing....

Considering other major AAA developers take 4-5 years to make a title like that, I just don't see it. The new Horizons game would be coming out roughly the same time and that's got an extra year.

It's probably doable but how different will this game be? And I would be surprised if Sony releases God Of War and Horizonz in the same time frame.

From what I understand Horizon will be coming out fairly early next year and GOW will be late next year.

Smasandian
I guess time will tell!

Impediment

Surtur
rebooting games is so gay

BackFire

Smasandian
Yeah...especially considering the last God Of War didn't light the world on fire.
They had move the game into a different direction.

NewGuy01
I mean, the world was pretty much on fire at the end of God of War 3. In the literal sense.

Smasandian
God Of War 3 is not the last game. You are forgetting God Of War Ascension.

cdtm
God of War stopped being good after second PS2 game.

cdtm
Yeah...especially considering the last God Of War didn't light the world on fire.
They had move the game into a different direction.

A shittier direction, judging by the last abomination.

ares834
Originally posted by cdtm
God of War stopped being good after second PS2 game.

Bad taste. Even if you don't like the direction they took with the new game, GoW 3 was great.

Khazra Reborn
A shittier direction, judging by the last abomination.

Are you joking? God of War is easily top 5 best games of its generation.

cdtm
Originally posted by ares834
Bad taste. Even if you don't like the direction they took with the new game, GoW 3 was great.

3 is just a bloated 2. GoW2 did everything 3 did better, without the padding and stupid elements.

cdtm
Originally posted by Khazra Reborn
Are you joking? God of War is easily top 5 best games of its generation.

The remake took away every thing that made the series good, and turned it into just another "cinematic" third person action game. It's like they built it on focus groups, like "Ooh, kids checked good in focus. Add a kid."

Kratos the father figure! Give me a break!

God of War lost its identity, lost its edge, lost it's gameplay. This isn't God of War, its a mediocre cookie cutter action game.

Arachnid1
The remake took away every thing that made the series good, and turned it into just another "cinematic" third person action game. It's like they built it on focus groups, like "Ooh, kids checked good in focus. Add a kid."

Kratos the father figure! Give me a break!

God of War lost its identity, lost its edge, lost it's gameplay. This isn't God of War, its a mediocre cookie cutter action game. Nah, it's better than any game in the series ever has been. thumb up

Khazra Reborn

BackFire

Nemesis X

cdtm

Adam Grimes
I never really liked the og games too much, but with GOW 2018, although I loved it, it became clear to me that the series definitely sold out to become the videogame equivalent of 'Oscar-bait'.

So gotta have to agree, at least partially, with my friend cdtm.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.